janilye on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
Thomas EATHER born on the 27 September 1824 the son of Thomas EATHER 1800-1886 and Sarah, nee MCALPIN 1805-1884 married Eliza CROWLEY 1822-1897 on the 25 July 1843 at St.Peter's Church of England, Richmond, New South Wales.
Following their wedding, Thomas and Eliza took up residence in the house in West Market Street, Richmond next door to the "Union Inn" where Thomas's parents were residing. There they conducted business as a butcher and baker. Their first child, a son whom they named John William, was born at Richmond on 8 March 1845, but by the time their second child was born in June 1847, they had left the Hawkesbury district and had taken up residence on the farm over the range at Bulga where Thomas had lived when a small boy. He had been given the farm by his father and took over the management from the overseer who had been in charge there.
When his parents had come to Bulga in 1826, the flats along the creek had been open forest country with large eucalypts and very little undergrowth, and therefore attractive grazing land The stream had been known as Cockfighter Creek then, but that name had given way to the aboriginal name - the Wollombi. The district had become known as Bulga, the aboriginal name for a mountain ridge just to the west. The Wollombi Valley had been and still was the territory of the Geawe-gal clan of aborigines. Their territory extended to the junction of the Wollombi Brook and the Hunter River, where it adjoined the most southerly of the Kamilaroi clans. Not much is known of how the Geawee-gal had reacted to the intrusion of the white men into their territory in the 1820's. It had been quite a populous clan then, and though depleted somewhat during the following twenty years, was still able to hold large bora ceremonies from time to time.
In 1848, not long after Thomas and Eliza had settled on their farm at Bulga, a family named CLARK arrived in the district and settled on the farm opposite them across the creek. It was part of the 1,500 acres that Joseph ONUS had purchased in 1825 and lay on the opposite side of the creek from the rest of his purchase. It had been inherited by Joseph ONUS Jnr and he had agreed to lease it to the CLARK's. Mrs CLARK promptly named it "Willow Farm", a name which it retained indefinitely. James Swales CLARK had been born in Yorkshire and his wife Elizabeth, nee McDONALD at Dalkeith in Scotland. They had married at Largs in Scotland in 1835 and had arrived in Sydney as immigrants in January 1843 with three young children. They had spent a while at "Glendon" on the Hunter River, getting experience in farming in New South Wales, and had then started farming at a place called Black Creek. It had been while James CLARK had been out looking for grass for his cattle during drought times, that he had first seen Bulga and found more grass there than anywhere else. By then two more children had been born to them. Over the years that followed Thomas and Eliza became very close friends with James and Elizabeth CLARK and their children grew up as fellow schoolmates at the local school. The farm of 100 acres on the western bank of Wollombi Brook remained the residence of Thomas and Eliza for the remainder of their lives. It was given the aboriginal name "Meerea", said to mean "Beautiful Mountain". The name has been retained down the years and was in use as recently as 1995. The Bulga community had increased in number over the years as more farms had been settled. Most of the folk living there were assigned convicts or ticket-of-leave men employed on the farms. Some of them had wives. The town of Singleton had sprung into being not many miles away. An increasing number of the local residents were cousins of Thomas. Important amongst them were Mary Ann and John EATON, who had been there since 1831, and Thomas's aunt and uncle, Susannah and William Glas McALPIN. Life was not as remote as it had been when Thomas's parents had lived there fifteen years before. Singleton offered services which had not been available a decade before. There was even a resident doctor there. Another five children were born to Eliza and Thomas during their first fifteen years on the farm, and all were born at Bulga. Unfortunately, three of them died in infancy. At "Meerea" Thomas grazed cattle and grew various vegetable and grain crops, and as was the custom on most of the farms, he developed an orchard. When the children became of school age they were able to receive formal education at a small school that John Eaton had established on his farm for Mr WAGSTAFF whom he employed to teach his and his neighbours' children. Eventually, when the little Church of England Church had been built, it was used as the school house. Mr WAGSTAFF was quite an identity in the district. He had been a London Bank Manager until drink had become his downfall. He had come to Australia to be away from his temptations if he could and was at home in the farming district. He used to board in turn about amongst the farmers in the neighbourhood, and those with children attending his school paid him what they could and did not charge him for his lodgings. Therefore he changed his lodgings every week or so. He was a true type of old English gentleman of the day, and always wore a black silk top-hat and a fine black cloth swallow-tail suit. He was kind and gentle to all and lived a reserved and quiet life. He owned a few good horses and loved hunting, probably because it reminded him of his younger days when he had ridden with the hounds. He taught little more than the three 'rs', but what he taught he taught thoroughly and many of his pupils became fine readers and writers. In 1850 Thomas and Eliza lost the EATON's as neighbours, when they left the district permanently and moved to the "Roseberry" cattle station which John had established on the Richmond River. William Glas McALPIN (known generally as Billy Mack) leased the EATON farm and the little school continued to operate. Mr WAGSTAFF often boarded with them. Gradually William McALPIN increased his landholdings by buying adjoining land from Thomas ONUS. It was not an unusual sight to see parties of aborigines moving along the creek during their daily hunting and gathering. Sometimes they fished in the waterholes and sometimes they camped temporarily nearby. In the district was one of their large bora rings where ceremonies were held from time to time. The year 1852 saw a great influx of visitors to the Bulga district. Over 500 aborigines from tribes far and near gathered at the local bora ring on the McALPIN farm for an initiation ceremony. Aboriginal bora ceremonies transcended tribal boundaries. When they were held every few years, tribes from over a wide area were invited to attend and kippas from all of them were initiated at each ceremony. The tribes took turn at holding the ceremonies, so it was only occasionally that any one bora ring was the site of the gathering. Tribes from as far away as Mudgee attended the ceremony at Bulga that year and it was well remembered by the white folk as it was the last great initiation held there. Needless to say, the white people and the aboriginal womenfolk were not allowed to witness all the rites that were involved in the ceremony. Nevertheless the local farmers were interested in seeing so many visitors gathered together and the event remained a vivid memory in the years that followed.
The children of Thomas EATHER and Eliza nee CROWLEY were:-
John William EATHER 1845 ? 1915 m. Harriet CLARK 1849-1928
Mary Jane EATHER 1847 ? 1847
Peter M EATHER 1849 ? 1851
Jane Charlotte EATHER 1851 ? 1897 m. Samuel PARTRIDGE 1850-1928
Alexander George EATHER 1859 ? 1859
Sarah Elizabeth EATHER 1861 ? 1923 m. Ashton CLARK 1844-1925
Alexander MUNRO was born in Ardersier in the Scottish Highlands, on the Moray Firth, east of Inverness, near Fort George, and Nairn,Scotland on the 18 July 1812 the son of George MUNRO and Isabel MAIN.
On the 3 September 1829 Alexander was transported for seven years, he had been sentenced the day before in Inverness, where the family had moved after the death of his father. Along with two other boys, Alexander robbed a grocery store.
He arrived with 200 other convicts onboard the ship, York on the 7 February 1831. Measuring only 5'3" tall, he could read and write and his occupation was given as a Farm Boy. Alexander was assigned to John BROWNE a settler of Patricks Plains.
Alexander gained his Certificate of Freedom in 1836 and soon began buying up depasturing licenses all around the Singletom Area.
On the 6 July 1838 the Reverend HERRINGTON at Whittingham married Alexander MUNRO to Sophia LOVELL 1812-1889, Sophia, a convict sentenced to seven years had come from Isle of Ely, Cambridgeshire, on the 'Diana', arriving in 1833.
Sophia and Alexander failed to have children of their own and in 1840 adopted 3year old Harriet. Harriet was the natural child of Thomas PHILLIPS and his wife Catherine.
Harriet 1837-1873 became known as Harriet MUNRO and married Walter COUSINS 1829-1904.
Alexander in 1839 began a successful carrying business in 1839 and with his depasturing licenses soon began to acquire wealth. In 1841 he built the Sir Thomas Mitchell Inn on the corner of Cambridge and George Streets in Singleton and managed several other hotels and began his mail coach service from Singleton.
In 1851 Alexander built Ness House in George St., Singleton which is still standing today and he replaced the old Sir Thomas Mitchell Inn with the large Caledonian Hotel. In the 1868 Rate Book it was stated as "two,story,brick iron roof,13 rooms". The Singleton Argus 9th November 1901 advertisement stated" 14 bedrooms, 2 dining rooms, 2 parlours, sample room,kitchen,bathroom, laundry, pantry, man's room, stables, 4 stalls, buggy house etc". It had a 73ft frontage to George St, 73ft to High St, and 332ft to Cambridge St. The sale was on account of Mrs R.H.LEVIEN his grandaughter Harriet Emma COUSINS 1860-1946
MUNRO began the 'Bebeah' Vineyard and his wines won more than 2000 prizes all over the world; more than 500 first prizes. He built his house 'Ardersier House' on the grounds of Bebeah.
Alexander MUNRO was elected the first mayor of Singleton in 1866, when Singleton became a municipality.
Alexander MUNRO was a good man with a big heart, always putting back into the community and always helping those less fortunate than himself. He was very much admired by both the wealthy and the not so wealthy.
When the council in 1884 was not interested in building a gas making plant themselves, they passed an act on the 16 May 1884, to allow him to build it himself thereby giving the town light. He then turned the plant over to the town at cost price.
He donated the land for the Glenridding Church and Cemetery, the Masonic Hall and was a huge benefactor in the building of the Singleton Grammer School. He was the founder of the Oddfellows Lodge and his Hunter River Building Society financed the building of a north wing on the hospital in John Street and gave money to the hospital. He had a beautiful fountain made in Glasgow and gave it to the Town
In 1878 Alexander Munro retired from politics and was given a large banquet by the town, he returned to Scotland with Sophia for a short holiday.
On the 2 February 1889 Alexander MUNRO died at Ardersier House. Two days later on the 4 All the shops in Singleton were closed at 1:00pm to allow the town to mourn in what was to be the largest ever funeral Singleton had ever seen. The cortege being a half a mile long.
Sophia followed on the 26 July 1889.
Alexander in his will left 6,000 to various lagacies and 500 to the Singleton Benevolent Society. All this from a man who had been transported for stealing groceries.
The Maitland Mercury paid homage to Alexander Munro with this stirring obituary
in their newspaper on the 5 September 1889
"DEATH OF MR. ALEXANDER MUNRO.The kind and sympathetic voice is
hushed for ever, and the noble eye will no longer speak the sentiments
of a heart that for three-quarters of a century was beating full of
truly Christian love.
Alexander Munro is no more-the Great Conqueror claimed him to join
the silent majority.
Singleton has lost one of its greatest citizens, and the colony,
a prominent philanthropist and one of Nature's gentlemen.
The sad event took place at the residence of the deceased,
Ardesier House, near Singleton, on Saturday, the 26th instant, at half-past
two o'clock in the afternoon. For more than a week all hope had been
abandoned by Mr. Munro's medical attendants, and it was only a
question of time when the end should come. During nearly the whole
of that period the deceased was in a comatose state, but when
consciousness returned at intervals he appeared to suffer much pain.
Life, however, ebbed gradually away until the last grain
had dropped out of the glass and a merciful Providence ended
the earthly troubles of our noble friend and fellow townsman.
Mr. Munro was born at Ardesier, Invernesshire, Scotland, in the
memorable year 1812, and arrived in the colony in 1831, and has
resid ed here ever since, with the exception of a trip to his native
land about 11 years ago.
Arriving here when quite young, he soon adapted himself to the
rough mode of life then prevailing in New South Wales, with that
readiness and endurance for which the national character of Caledonia's
sons has so eminently qualified them as the best colonizers in
One of his first ventures in Singleton was to build the Caledonia Hotel.
Having made some money at hotelkeeping, he subsequently took up stations
in the Liverpool Plains district, where he was squatting for many years.
In all his undertakings he was singularly prosperous, and wealth flowed
in from all sides.
About thirty years ago Mr. Munro, being fully convinced
that viticulture as an important industry would eventually take root
as an important industry in the valley of the Hunter, he started
to work with that determination and enterprise so characteristic of
the man, and having obtained a suitable piece of land-a portion of the
well-known Kelso estate, near Singleton-planted there the Bebeah vineyard,
now so famous throughout the length and breadth of the Australian colonies.
At an early period of the establishment of Bebeah, Mr. Munro
engaged the services of Mr. Mackenzie, under whose excellent management
Bebeah wines attained such a celebrity that at length
they appeared at the table of the gracious Sovereign who rules the
destinies of this great Empire. The late Emperor William of Germany also
patronised Bebeah wines, and expressed himsnlf in approving terms of
their excellent character.
As the demand for Bebeah wines was increasing at a rapid rate, in
order to add to the supply, Mr. Munro about a dozen years ago purchased
the adjoining Greenwood Vineyard from Mr. James Moore, and between
the two vineyards there are now about eighty acres in full bearing.
After purchasing the Greenwood Vineyard, Mr. Munro built there, on
an excellently elevated site, the residence where he ended his days.
When in England some eleven years ago, Mr. Munro ordered a gas plant
for Singleton, and, having subsequently got an Act passed through
Parliament, the gas works were established.
the first lamp in Burdekin Park being lit by Mr.James P. Quinn, then
Mayor of Singleton, in October, 1881.
Throughout his long residence in Singleton, Mr. Munro took an active
part in all public matters. On the establishment of the municipality
in the year 1867, he was elected the first mayor, and was twice re-elected
after wards, thus remaining in office for three years.
The subject of this notice took an active part in the establishment
of the Singleton and Patrick's Plains Benevolent Society some forty-five
years ago, and throughout that long period Mr. Munro was always, we believe,
on the Committee of Management,
He was subsequently for many years Vice-President of the Society,
and on the retirement of the late President, Mr. J. C. S. M'Douall,
Mr. Munro was elected as President, an office which he held up till
Mr. Munro's sympathetic disposition made him at all times take a
deep interest in the poor inmates of the Asylum and nothing gave him greater
delight than to provide an ample feast for the old men and women on holidays,
namely Christmas and New Year, Easter, and Queen's Birthday, etc.,
making it a point to be present at the meal and enjoying
the hearty manner in which the old people appreciated his kindness.
Many years ago Mr. Munro showed his deep interest in the welfare of
the Benevolent Society by giving a munificent donation of 1000 towards
completing the Benevolent Asylum in accordance with the original design
prepared by Mr. Rowe, architect, Sydney.
In order to recognize this noble act the people of Singleton determined
to perpetuate Mr. Munro's memory by erecting a marble bust of the
generous donor in that building, and the ceremony of unveiling it
was performed last year by Miss White, eldest daughter of the
Rev. Dr. J. S. White, in the presence of a large number of people;
the day having been made a half-holiday in Singleton.
Mr. Munro was an ardent Freemason, and took an active interest
in masonic affairs. He joined the first lodge established in Singleton
in the year 1864, and passed the chair, and remained in connection
with various lodges here ever since.
Some time ago he presented the brethren with an allotment of land
in a central position in John-street for the purpose of erecting
there on a Masonic Hall, and further contributed a donation of 100
towards the building fund.
Mr. Munro was also one of the founders of the Oddfellows' Lodge
in Singleton many years ago, and remained a consistent member till
He took great interest in the Northern Agricultural Association from
its establishment in the year 1868, and for several years was one
of the vice-presidents ot that society.
He was a liberal contributor to the funds of the Mechanics' Institute
and all public movements which in his opinion were worthy of support.
Quite recently he gave the handsomesum of 1000 to the funds of
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church for the purpose of building
a new church ; but although a consistent supporter of the church of
his forefathers, he was at all times ready to support any calls made
upon him by other denominations, and his charitable feelings made no
distinction between creed or country : no poor man was ever turned
away from the door of good Alexander Munro without a crust of bread.
An instance of the genuine charitable character of Mr. Munro was
lately conveyed to us from a trustworthy source, and it may not be
out of place to give it here. It appears that when in Scotland
some 11 years ago he ascertained that some of his relatives were
rather reduced in circumstances, and in order to provide against
want for the rest of their lives he built four cottages, one for each,
and allowed each an annuity of 40 per annum, the money having been
remitted regularly since then.
All honor to the noble departed. May a glorious resurrection be his reward."
Singleton, 3rd February, 1889.
researched, written and transcribed
by janilye 1999
Thomas EATHER 1824-1909 established a vineyard which was soon producing wine grapes of good quality and Thomas sometimes sold Alexander grapes from his vineyard at "Meerea" to help his growing business. Family legend has it that his wife, Eliza nee CROWLEY threatened to leave Thomas if he persisted in selling grapes to MUNRO for his "immoral liquor trade". Faced with this threat, Thomas is said to have dug out his wine grapes and replaced them with table grapes. However later on the family again began to grow good wine grapes as you see here in Meerea Park Today
The photograph below taken in George Street, Singleton around 1900 shows The Caledonian Inn on the left and the horses drinking from Munro's fountain.
As a 10 year old, I recall sitting on Blaney railway station in the middle of the night waiting to change trains for Cowra, where I was a boarder at the school. I would sit on the hearth in the waiting room trying to keep warm by the a dying fire. Today, when I remember Blaney I remember thinking it was the coldest place on earth.
I've since found out that Blaney was also the scene of one of the most frightful suicides on record, which took place on Friday night 12 April 1889 at about a quarter to 8 o'clock.
Mr. Stepney Alured CLARKE, the council clerk, blew his head off with a charge of dynamite.
I believe, just as shocking, was the graphic detail in which the press of the day published the story.
A SHOCKING SUICIDE
BLAYNEY COUNCIL CLERK BLOWS HIS HEAD OFF WITH DYNAMITE.
[A brief telegraphic account has already appeared, but we take the following details from the S. E. News.] A special council meeting was to take place at 8 o'clock, and a finance meeting at half-past 7. When the finance meeting met they found the papers and everything on the table ready for the meeting, but the council clerk was outside conversing with Alderman Gillkrest. He shortly afterwards went into the council, but soon left again, and a very few minutes afterwards a report was heard which shook the Town Hall. The mayor and Alderman STINSON then went out, and on going at the back of the Town Hall they found the council clerk lying at the back of the hall with his head completely blown off and the skin and brains scattered all over the wall of the building. Some time after deceased's hat and a portion of his skull were found in the yard of the Commercial Bank, which adjoins the Town Hall. The report of the explosion caused as much excitement as though an earthquake had occurred, people running out in the streets in all directions, wondering what had taken place. It appears that a special council meeting was called in consequence of the last audit, just finished, showing a probable deficiency of about ?70, and it is supposed that the council clerk was endeavouring to get Alderman GILLKREST to assist him in his unpleasant position, and, having failed, he thus put an end to himself. After the unfortunate thing occurred Mr. BARRY, one of the auditors, received a letter through the post thanking him and the other auditors for their kind consideration and not blaming them at all. Alderman Gillkrest also received a letter enclosing the key of a box in the council chambers, stating it contained something belonging to Mr. BLOOD, a cousin of deceased. The box has not yet been opened. Though a diligent search has been made for the key of the safe it cannot be found anywhere. The explosion broke some windows in the vicinity. In addition to severing the head from the body, deceased's legs and one arm were broken. Deceased is well connected in England, and one of the oldest residents of this district, and this sad end has cast quite a gloom over the town. If the explosion had occurred in the council chambers of the Town Hall it is most likely the aldermen would have been blown to atoms. Crowds of people assembled to witness the horrible sight.]
William CROUCHER the son of Robert CROUCHER and Mary Ann GAUNT was born in Ashford, Kent England on the 1 February 1833 and died at Gally Swamp later known as Gallymont on the 30 June 1912. He's buried at the Lyndhurst Church of England Cemetery.
William married Jane LUCKHURST in 1852 at Little Chart, Kent England. The children of William and Jane were:-
1.Charles CROUCHER b:11 JUly 1853 Kent, England d:18 June 1911 m. Anne GOODACRE 1855-1938 on 11 March 1878 at Carcoar, NSW
2.Ann CROUCHER b:1856 d:25 JUne 1886 m. Eugene SULLIVAN in 1877 at Wagga Wagga, NSW
3.William Edward aka Edward William CROUCHER b:1858 d: 8 August 1930 m. Eva Jane PETTS xxxx-1957 in 1906 at Cowra.
4.Frederick CROUCHER b: 28 August 1861 Roxburgh, NSW d:14 April 1917 Mary Ann DRADY 1865-1951 on the 29 April 1885 at Trunkey Creek, NSW
5.George CROUCHER b: 20 June 1864 Roxburgh, NSW d: 27 April 1901 Gallymont, NSW. m. Elizabeth DIGBY 1866-1931 at Gally Swamp on 29 December 1886
6.Harriett Alice CROUCHER 1866 ? m. Charles E LOCK on the 19 August 1891 at Trunkey Creek, NSW
7.Mary Jane CROUCHER 1869 d:xxxx m. Reuben DIGBY b: 1865 d: XXXX. in 1886 Carcoar
8.Caroline Elizabeth CROUCHER 1871 ? 1872
9.Sarah Elizabeth CROUCHER b: 17 March 1873 Trunkey Creek, NSW d:5 October 1954 m. John DIGBY b:1870 Mandurama, d:30 July 1930 at Carcoar, on 5 August 1896 at Carcoar.He was found in a dam with his throat cut. Inquest declared it suicide. They lived in Madurama.
John DIGBY was the son of John DIGBY 1840-1911 and Mary Anne PEARCE 1841-1911.
10. Alfred James CROUCHER 1876 ? m. Frances Margaret BERG 1878-1951
on the 17 October 1900 at Carcoar, NSW
John DIGBY (This is John Digby from Morpeth)was part of the HOMEWARD BOUND Gold Mining Company of Gally Swamp, at one time lodged a cake of gold weighing 102oz with the City Bank. The result of crushing 45 tons of stone from the Homeward Bound Reef.
The following article from the Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal
18 July 1893
John Digby and party have discovered a very rich reef at Galley Swamp. Some specimens exhibited by them yesterday were literally spangled with gold.
Digby worked on the same lease 14 years ago, but afterwards abandoned it. Several claims on these diggings are in full swing, and mining operations appear very promising.
The image below is Belubla Street, Carcoar, in 1885. The Post Office on the right was built in 1879, it still stands and today is used for tourist accommodation.
This is just one TREMILLS family decending from Nathaniel TREMILLS 1709-1785 living on the lands of Widecombe In The Moor, Devon, England.
John TREMILLS, the son of Richard TREMILLS 1745-1782 and Jane KIVIL 1753-1805 was born at Widecombe In The Moor, Devon in 1778 and died there in 1862. To date I have only found one sister to John TREMILLS being Phillipa 1773-1814.
John TREMILLS married Elizabeth HAMLYN 1783-1846 on the 25 September 1803 at Widecombe In The Moor, Devon.
The children of this marriage all born at Widecombe In The Moor were:-
Mary Tremills 1804
Nicholas Tremills 1805
John Tremills 1807
Elizabeth Tremills b:1811 and died 18 August 1904 Melbourne, Victoria. Married Robert Roger NANKIVELL 1811-1904
Ann Tremills 1813
Susan Tremills 1815
Martha Tremills 1818
Avis Tremills 1820 - 1844
William Tremills 1823 - 1850
Richard Tremills 1826 - 1871
Information Regarding North Hall.
1800 - North Hall and North Hall Mills, part of Wootons Lands leased from Lord Ashburton 1800-1833
1803 - Richard Barre Dunning, let to John and Elizabeth Tremills, the North Hall Mills, Field and Garden.
1817 - Richard Barre Dunning let to John Tremills, the North Hall Mills and Garden.
5700/1860 CHAFFE HENRY
6580/1873 CHAFFE PETER
8559/1879 CHAFFE GEORGE
11001/1884 CHAFFE MARY
4586/1887 CHAFFE ELIZABETH T
10035/1901 CHAFFE ETHEL
7063/1910 CHAFFE MARTHA
4669/1915 CHAFFE WARWICK
18932/1915 CHAFFE ARTHUR C
3584/1922 CHAFFE HARRIET M
18570/1922 CHAFFE PETER H
11730/1938 CHAFFE ALFRED
21894/1942 CHAFFE HENRY
23865/1950 CHAFFE MARGARET ELAINE
22653/1952 CHAFFE WILLIAM STANLEY
29411/1952 CHAFFE JOHN
7600/1953 CHAFFE EILEEN MAY
13529/1953 CHAFFE MARY JOSEPHINE
2752/1955 CHAFFE ALFRED BOVEY
6169/1955 CHAFFE SUSAN MARY
27746/1956 CHAFFE WILLIAM WARWICK
40803/1967 CHAFFE EDNA IRENE
5841/1970 CHAFFE VICTOR GEORGE
40296/1972 CHAFFE WARWICK
47365/1974 CHAFFE ENID MINNIE
47365/1974 CHAFFE ENID MINNIE
100625/1976 CHAFFE ARTHUR JAMES
104136/1977 CHAFFE FLORENCE MAY
21185/1980 CHAFFE MARY
12030/1859 CHAFFE HENRY
12883/1862 CHAFFE ALFRED H
14562/1875 CHAFFE PETER HENRY
15052/1876 CHAFFE JOHN
10709/1857 CHAFFE ELIZABETH E
12515/1873 CHAFFE MARY WINEFRED
23224/1880 CHAFFE JOHN
20631/1882 CHAFFE HENRY
23623/1883 CHAFFE MARY
25307/1884 CHAFFE MARTHA
26868/1886 CHAFFE HANNAH
27688/1887 CHAFFE HARRIET
21150/1878 CHAFFE GEORGE
23519/1889 CHAFFE WILLIAM W
38175/1891 CHAFFE ALFRED
30294/1892 CHAFFE ALFRED A
23715/1901 CHAFFE ETHEL
33008/1903 CHAFFE AGNES L
29470/1909 CHAFFE AGNES L
My McAlpin Ancestors.
Some History: In earlier times of Scottish history the King of Dalriada was King Alpin. His son Kenneth became the first King of the Picts and Scots and in this sense could be considered the first King of Scotland. To say he was a successful man would be an understatement.
The Romans considered the Picts so fierce that they chose to build a wall to protect themselves rather than further their Empire's advance over Britain into Pictland. Yet in 843 Kenneth MACALPIN became ruler of the Picts, even conquering their language so that within twenty years Gaelic had replaced the Pictish tongue. He achieved the same miracles over the Welsh-speaking, long-established Kingdoms of Strathclyde, Gododdin and Rheged in Southern Scotland.
It is unlikely Kenneth and the Scots could have achieved so much purely by their own swords. His control of the Picts may have been aided by the ancient law of matrilinier succession through which he had reason to challenge for the Pictish Crown on his female ancestry.
Also, the Norsemen continually attacking the Scots from the West forced them eastwards. By then the Picts in the East may have been unable to resist this as they had been greatly weakened by the Vikings landing on their own shores.
The MacALPIN name is so ancient and spread in times when the clan system was still evolving there is little evidence of any one, direct family line back to Kenneth MacALPIN and his father King ALPIN. Many other clans claim to be descended from the accomplished MacALPINES, such as the MacGREGORS, GRANTS, MacNABS, MacAULEYS, MacKINNONS and the MacQUARRIES.
My 7th Great Grandfather-
Donald MCALPIN b: 1670 in Killin, Perthshire married Catherine McCONDIE on 7 Jul 1690 in the Parish Kirk at Killin, Loch Tay, Perthshire, Stirling, Scotland.
Killin is the largest and oldest of the many settlements in Breadalbane - 'Braghaid Albainn' - the High Country of Scotland. The name of the village comes from its association with the legendary Celtic Hero Fingal who, it is thought was buried here - 'Cill Fhinn' meaning the burial place of Fingal.
The child from this marriage:-
Donald McALPIN was born in 1691 in Killin, Loch Tay, Perthshire, Stirling, Scotland.
Donald married Margaret McKENZIE in 1714 in Killin, Loch Tay, Perthshire, Stirling, Scotland.
Note: This was the generation that witnessed the concerted destruction of the Gaelic culture after the Union of the Two Kingdoms 1707, and subsequent "raisings" of 1715 and 1745 in favour of the historic Stuart monarchy against Parliamentary authority. Their loyalty was romantic, feeling, and well rooted in history and blod relationships but it failed, and from this time on (for well over a century and a half) Gaelic was rejected in favour of a policy of assimilation.
Donald married Margaret McKENZIE in 1714 in Killin, Loch Tay, Perthshire, Stirling, Scotland.
Children from this marriage were:-
1. Donald McALPIN b: 5 March 1715 in KIllin, Perthshire.
2. Peter McALPIN was born about 1722 in Killin, Loch Tay, Perthshire, Stirling, Scotland and died about 1777 in Killin, Loch Tay, Perthshire, Stirling, Scotland about age 57.
note; Peter's name is listed on the International Genealogical Index (Batch C113612, Killin) as Peter but more often as Patrick, but the mother's name is always Katherine McLean, which suggests the father's name is being variously translated from the Gaelic 'Padraig' each time
Peter married Katherine McLEAN, daughter of John McLEAN and Margaret ROBERTSON, about 1748 in Killin, Loch Tay, Perthshire, Stirling, Scotland. Katherine was born in 1727 in Aucharn, Killin, Perthshire, Scotland and died in 1774 in Grey Street, Killin, Loch Tay, Perthshire, Stirling, Scotland at age 47.
Children from this marriage were: CHRISTENING DATES.
1. Donald McAlpin c: 9 December 1749 d:1753
2. Margaret McAlpin C: 9 December 1749 Killin, Perthshire
3. John McAlpin c:28 April 1752 d:1755
4. Donald McAlpin C: 12 January 1754
5. John McAlpin c: 14 January 1756
6. Alpin McAlpin c: 8 December 1758 Killin d:1840 Alpin married Jean CAMPBELL 1765-1806 on 13 February 1783 in Killin, Loch Tay, Perthshire, Stirling, Scotland. Jean was born in Midlothian, Scotland. Alpin MCALPIN was known as 'The Boatman of Tay' a famous singer and musician. I have decendants of this family if anyone is interested. janilye
7. Katharine McAlpin C: 14 April 1762 d: 1763 Killin, Perthshire
8. Duncan McAlpin C: 20 June 1763 Killin, Perthshire
9. Katharine McAlpin C: 20 June 1763 Killin, Perthshire
10. Elizabeth McAlpin C: 22 December 1763
11. Peter MCALPIN C: 14 March 1768 Killin, Perthshire
12. Christian McAlpin c: 31 May 1772 Killin, Perthshire
*Peter McALPIN was born in 1768 in Killin-Bridge, End Of Dochart, Perthshire, Scotland, died on 23 Feb 1850 in Richmond, NSW, Australia at age 82, and was buried on 25 Feb 1850 in St Matthew's, Church of England cemetery, Windsor, NSW, Australia.
He joined the Scottish Army and by the age of 26 had attained the rank of sergeant. On 21 April 1794 he transferred to the Princess Louise Argyllshire Highlanders at Stirling Castle. He marched with his Regiment in June 1794 to Leith and there embarked for Netley Common near Southampton. There the Regiment joined the 98th Regiment of Foot, and on 5 May 1795 embarked at Spit head as part of a joint expedition to South Africa against the Dutch. It landed at Simon's Town on 9 September 1795 and camped at Muysenberg. After a battle with the Dutch at Wynberg, the Regiment entered Cape Town Castle on 16 September and the Dutch garrison surrendered. The 98th stayed in South Africa until 1803
Peter married Elisabeth ELTON b:1778 in London, d: 15 Nov 1817, Windsor, NSW. on 16 Dec 1798 in Garrison Church, Cape of Good Hope, Cape Town, South Africa.
Source, for the above:
Peter Moore direct decendant
NOTE: There has been some question as to whether Elizabeth Elton was actually Elizabeth HILTON because HILTON as a forename and second forename is prevalent throughout the family. Perhaps the family believed it was. I have William Glas McALPIN's birth certificate which clearly states her surname as ELTON. janilye
Elisabeth ELTON - age about 20 years, sailed from Deptford, England with her mother Sarah ELTON (nee not known) and step-father Francis WHEELER on the storeship HMS "Buffalo" - the ship arrived in Table Bay, Cape Town, South Africa on Sunday 13 October 1798 to leave stores and pick up cattle for Sydney Cove.
The ship "Buffalo" stayed moored in Table Bay until it sailed on Tuesday 5 February 1799 for Sydney Cove, where it arrived on Friday 3 May 1799.
Elisabeth did not accompany her mother and step-father on the continuation of the journey to New South Wales as she had met Peter McALPIN whilst the ship was moored in Cape Town - Peter & Elisabeth were married in Cape Town before Francis & Sarah sailed
Peter McALPIN & Elisabeth ELTON lived in Cape Town until Peter returned to the army barracks on 25 March 1801, Peter & Elizabeth remained at the barracks until 24 April 1802 when he was discharged - they remained in Cape Town until 9 December 1802 when they sailed back to Portsmouth and returned to Killin, Scotland - they settled in Stirling where 3 children were born.
The family moved to London November 1810 immediately after their third child William Glas McALPIN was christened - whilst in London the family were strongly encouraged by letters from Elisabeth's mother to join her in the NSW colony as Francis WHEELER had died - they eventually gained a free passage to the colony after letters to the Governor of NSW.
The ship "General Graham" sailed from England via Rio de Janeiro to Sydney Town - The family arrived from London as free settlers on the ship "General Graham" 29 January 1812 with 3 of their children.
The children of this marriage were:-
1. Sarah MCALPIN b: 15 September 1805 Stirling, Scotland died on the 1 March 1884 Richmond, NSW. m. Thomas EATHER 1800-1886 on the 24 August 1824 at St.Matthews Church of England, Windsor, NSW.
2. Peter McAlpin b: 4 April 1809 Stirling, Scotland and died 23 September 1898 m.Elizabeth HARRISON real name Phoebe Coles nee STIRRUP 1807-1885 at Christ Church of England, Maitland, NSW. Peter's death certificate states her name as Elizabeth COLES and he was married for 25 years. He spent 51 years in NSW and 35 years in Victoria. He was without issue.
3. William Glas McAlpin b:6 October,1810 Stirling, Scotland died 2 February 1902 at Bulga, NSW. m. Susannah ONUS 1815-1882 the daughter of Joseph ONUS 1782-1835 and Ann EATHER 1793-1865 on the 1 February 1833 at Christ Church, Castlereagh, NSW.
4. Catherine 'Kite' MCALPIN born in the colony, 9 May 1814 Richmond and died 28 July 1893 Cullen Bullen, NSW. m. William CLARK 1812-1879 on the 16 January 1832 at St.Peter's Church, Richmond. Catherine McALPIN was the first of the McALPIN family born in Australia.
Not long after they were married, William received the licence to the "Woolpack Inn" in Maitland, NSW on 5 July 1833, which he held for the next two years. The family settled in Bulga and lived at "Kegney's Hill" in Bulga in 1846. They left the district in the late 1860's and settled on a property in Ben Bullen on the road between Lithgow and Mudgee - Catherine, did not remarry and remained there after the death of William in 1879.
Peter MCALPIN 1768-1850 next married Eleanor BLAKE b:1788 London, d: July 1850 in Richmond, NSW. on 7 March 1820 in St Peter's, Church of England, Richmond, NSW, Australia. Eleanor BLAKE was assigned from the female factory compound at Parramatta to Peter McALPIN to help out in his home and care for his 4 young children following the premature death of his wife Elisabeth ELTON.
After they married, Eleanor was granted her freedom, it was a disaster, because as soon as she was free, she absconded in 1821 - returned - and left again in 1823. She returned again at some time as she was living in one of the MCALPIN houses when she died.
'Cuimhnich Bas Ailpein'
For more history and information have a look see at The Clan
this story I contributed to their newsletter.
One other thing I wanted to mention re the name, MacAlpine, McAlpine and McAlpin.
In newspaper articles the name is printed as M'Alpin. On Peter McAlpin's land grant in 1820 the name is printed as Peter M'Alpin. On the New South Wales 1841 census it appears as McAlpine in the electoral roll of 1844 it's McAlpin, which is probably about when it became common use within the family.
On William Glas McAlpin baptisimal record in Stirlingshire it's McAlpine on the Death cert. 1902 McAlpin.
On the death certificate of Peter McAlpin 1768-1850 McAlpine
On all other certificates registered in NSW it appears as McAlpin.
My great grandfather was registered as Alfred McAlpin Eather; However, the MacAlpine, McAlpine's who settled in Victoria retained the 'E' on the tail. Ever since I can remember If it was McAlpin it was nsw and ours, and if you were McAlpine you were Victorian, with the statement "they are not related to us!" Whether it was because of the 'E' or the fact that they were in Victoria, I don't know.
A lot of it was of course due to illiteracy or the uniquely Australian penchant for shortening just about every word in the english language.
I've shown you the list of Provisions for the First Fleet taken on board, but like most of us who go to the market today there is often one or two essential items we have forgotten.
This was true of the First Fleet, but unlike us today, Captain Arthur Phillip couldn't run back to the store.
Firstly, when the Fleet left England, Captain Phillip noticed the convict women still in their rags and asked that they be given the clothing brought on board. However, probably because men did the packing, there was not enough women's clothing.
So, when the Fleet stopped at Rio de Janeiro, where of course there were no women's clothing shops, our problem solving Captain, killing two birds with the one stone, bought 100 sacks of tapioca, to supplement the food stocks, he then gave the women the empty sacks for whatever items it was they needed.
Forgetting the lime to make mortar and all the tools necessary to maintain the muskets, Phillip couldn't do very much about. This could not be rectified till the arrival of the Second Fleet.
Also forgotten, was good quality timber for making doors and the window frames to contain the 5,448 squares of crown glass brought along.
Captain Phillip had made sure he had plenty of firepower on board, but the most dreadful omission of all and one that Captain Phillip kept secret was ammunition for the marines' muskets. When Phillip discovered this he swore his officers to secrecy, fearing mutiny on the transports. He managed to pick up some musket balls in Rio de Janeiro but too few.
This shortage of ammunition also mean't, that when the colony was starving, due to failing crops, hunting for food was restricted.
The painting below is a depiction of the First Fleet at Rio de Janeiro