kaschreifels on FamilyTreeCircles - journals

kaschreifels on Family Tree Circles

sort: Date Alphabetical
view: full | list

Journals and Posts

Elizabeth Ann Schneider (nee: Petry) Death Certificate and Obituary

Death Certificate:
Township: Cresco
Name: Elizabeth Schneider
Date of Birth: Aug. 28, 1849
Age: Yrs. 59 months Days 26
Birthplace Germany
Name of Father Geo Petery
Birthplace of Father: Germany
Made Name of Mother: Moller
Occupation: Housewife
Informant: Henry Schneider
Date of Death: Sept. 24, 1908
Cause of Death: Diabetes
Attending Physician: J. W. Jinderelee Sept 24, 1908
Blace of Burial: St. Josephs
Date of Burial: Sept. 26, 1908
Undertaker G. Meverden, Cresco
Plain Dealer Newspaper
September 29, 1908
Elizabeth Petry was born in Germany in 1849 and came to Chicago in April 1973, where she was married on May 19, of the same year to Henry Schneider. They came to Howard County July, 1876 and since have resided here. She was the mother of 8 children, the three oldest of whom passed away in early life. Those living reside at home with the exception of John who resides at Royalton, MN. Mrs. Schneider passed away on Thursday morning the 24th as the result of a sudden attack of diabetes. The funeral was held on Saturday last at St. Joseph's Church and the internment was in St. Joseph's cemetery.
Card of thanks
We wish to express our sincere thanks to our neighbors and friends for their assistance and sympathy in the time of our recent bereavement. Henry Schneider and family.

Henry John Schneider Death Certificate and Obituary

Death Certificate:
Township: New Oregon, Cresco
Name: Henry Schneider
Date of Birth: August 1847
Age: Years 63
Birthplace: Germany
Name of Father: Henry Schneider
Birthplace of Father: Germany
Maiden Name of Mother: Fisher
Occupation: Farmer
Informant: Henry Schneider, Cresco, Iowa
Date of Death: April 28, 1910
Cause of Death: Pulmonary Tuberculosis several months, Bad cold.
Attending physician: George Kessel
April 29, 1910
Place of Burial: St. Josephs, Iowa
Date of Burial: April 30, 1910
Undertaker: G. Meverden - Cresco, IA
Plain Dealer Newspaper
May 6, 1910
Henry Schneider was born in Clausen, Germany, October 1847, and died April 28, 1910, in the 62nd year of his age. The funeral occurred on Monday, May 2nd, from St. Joseph's Church with interment in St. Joseph's cemetery.
The deceased was married in Chicago to the wife who preceded him in death nearly two years. He came to Howard county about 30 years ago and for the past 24 years has resided in New Oregon township on the farm where he died.
Mr. Schneider was the father of eight children, three of whom died in infancy. Those remaining are John H. of Royalton, Minn.; Adam of Milwaukee and Henry, Barbara and Maggie, of Cresco. He also leaves a brother, George A. of Royalton, Minn., all of whom were present at the funeral. Others from a distance attending the funeral were Frank Schneider of Blooming Prairie, Jacob Augustin, of St. Benedict, Iowa, and Jacob Germann and wife, of St. Cloud, Minn.
Mr. Schneider was an upright, industrious, Christian citizen who will be sincerely mourned by his relatives and neighbors.
The Children of Henry Schneider desire to hereby extend their sincere thanks to all who assisted in any way in the time of their bereavement and especially thank those who funished the beautiful flowers, and assure their friends that their kindness will be remembered and appreciated.

John Henry Schneider and Elizabeth Petry Ancestors

I am trying to find information on the ancestors of Henry John Schneider BD Oct. 10, 1847 Clausen, Germany Death April 28, 1910 Cresco, Howard, Iowa-Father Henry, Schneider, Mother [???] Fisher. He married Elizabeth Ann Petry BD August 28, 1849 Germany Death September 24, 1908, Cresco, Howard, IA. Marriage May 19, 1873 Chicago, Cook, IL.
Henry had a brother names Anton George Schneider. I am looking for information on any other siblings of Henry and Anton as well as any siblings Elizabeth may have had as well as any ancestorial information.

Annamarie Ebben marriage license: Spouse Anthonius Vandenheuvel

Annamaria Ebben
Bruid op zaterdag 13, April 1850 Sambeek
Bron: RANB inventarisnummer: 6942 plaats: Sambeek
Burgerlijke Stand: huwelijk, aktenummer: 4, datum 13-4-1850
BRUIDEGOM: Anthonius van den Heuvel
geboorteplaats bruid: Sambeek
BRUID: AnnaMaria Ebben
geboorteplaatss bruid: Sambeek
Vader bruidegom: Ambrosius van den Heuvel
Moder bruidegom: Aldegonda Bardoul
Vader bruid: Hendrikus Ebben
Moeder bruid: Maria Van de Voord
Opmerkingen: Bruidegom geboren circa 1818 Bruid geboren circa 1824

Bron: BS-H Sambeek 1811-1922
Archief: BS-Huwelijken Inventarisnummer diverse
Burgerlijke Stand

Mary Ann Kathleen Schneider (daughter of Anton George Schneider-spouse of John Burggraff

Biography of Mary Burggraff
for the Morrison County Historical Society
Given by Fern Wruck- October 21, 1975

104 NE Second Avenue
Little Falls, Minn.

I, Mary Ann Kathleen Schneider Burggraff, was born in Two Rivers township on December 23, 1882. I have lived in Morrison County all my life, except for 13 or 14 years in North Dakota.
My parents both came from Germany; they thought they could make a better living here. At first they lived near Cresco, Iowa. About 1880 the cinch bugs ate all the wheat and corn in Iowa and they decided to leave. They came to Minnesota and bought a farm in Two Rivers Township. My parents were married in North Prairie. There was a railroad through the town of Royalton and some open land around there.
Our home was a one-room log kitchen. The up-stairs was not finished. In the fall my father would go to Royalton and get old newspapers to paste on the walls up-stairs to keep the wind out. The walls downstairs were white washed. On the south side of the house we had a clap board with hinges. In summer we would open the latch and let it down-there was screen over the opening. The lean-to kitchen was small. My two brothers and I stood along the wall behind the table to eat our meals. Father, Mother and Grandmother had chairs. Until I was a big girl, I thought all children ate standing up. The cellar was just a hole in the ground under the house. Sometimes the cellar walls would crumble and fall, covering up our potatoes.
Five children were born in this house. I was the oldest and I was eighteen when the new brick house was built. My father had the lumber for the new house sawed in Elmdale. Milo Young had the Two Rivers mill then. The woodwork in the house was dark oak with fancy designs at the corners of windows and doors. While I was working in St. Paul, I bought some furniture for our new house; a bedroom set for $15.00 and a couch for $5.00. They were delivered free.
Some of our neighbors were: Webbers, Pekulas, Ledos, Holderbachs, and the Milo Young family. My mother didn't do much baking except bread. We had to sell everything; but she did bake coffee cake for the holidays. We never celebrated birthdays. We often walked to Royalton (5 miles) carrying eggs and butter. My grandmother did all the knitting. She made stockings for all of us. I never learned to knit; but when I was fourteen I made a sampler. It has been displayed at the Morrison County Fair.
Schools didn't go by grades when I was young. I went till the fourth reader. We had about 1 1/4 miles to school. I went to school in Little Falls one year; staying with the Ehman family, whose mother and one daughter had died. I got as far as fractions there. My parents spoke German at home and they sent me to school in North Prairie for one year to learn German that was a three mile walk. Two teachers I remember were: Ann Kellogg and Mary Kennedy. We always had ice-cream at picnics on the last day of school. My schoolmates were Webbers, Urbanskys, Trasks, Blanchards, and Links.
On Sunday we walked three miles to church in North Prairie. Some of our neighbors walked ten miles or more. We took our lunch and stayed all day for religion instructions. During the noon hour we used to climb up in the bell tower.
When I was fifteen I got my first job, housework for $1.50 per week. The hours were from six o'clock in the morning until 7:30 at night. I washed clothes on the wash board, ironed, scrubbed, and did all the cleaning and baking. When I was 18, I went to work as a chamber maid at the Ryan and Aberdeen Hotels in St. Paul. I had a telescope suitcase when I left home. I made a mistake in going to the front door of the hotel instead of the back. My girlfriend forgot to meet me. Sometimes when we girls were clearing the tables and found some untouched wine, we drank it. It was a lot of fun. Once I was helping the baker make lemon pies. I grated the lemons for him; but I made a mistake when I threw away the grated peel and saved the lemons. I didn't know; my mother never made lemon pie. I liked the chamber maid work the best. It gave me a chance to see how other people lived.
Once I had pneumonia and when I was young, working in St. Paul, I got diphtheria. I was quarantined in the City hospital for three weeks. My father came to see me; but he didn't come inside - we had to talk through the window. many people were sick then. Many years later a drunken dentist in Davenport, North Dakota pulled all my upper teeth at one sitting.
I married John Burggraff on May 29, 1906 in the church at North Prairie. At our wedding we had a "bride dance"; any gentleman who wished to dance with the bride must pay for the privilege by throwing some money in a plate. I had been dancing so much, I was dizzy; so my bridesmaid had to dance in my place. There was another thing called "selling the bride's slipper" - it was a Polish custom.
Our children were: Louise, Jerome, Herbert, William, Margaret, Josephine and Leo. Four are living now. We moved to North Dakota after we were married. My husband worked for a big wheat farmer. He was the foreman and earned $28.00 a month - two dollars more than the other men made. I worked all summer cooking, baking bread every day, for $3.00 a week. At the end of the summer, instead of wages, I took a horse. We rented one-half section of land and started farming. There was a big house and barn on the place. We never owned a farm - always rented. My husband used to say, "If we had a farm we night lose it anyway."
Sometimes we would have to cook for the threshing crew a whole week if the weather was rainy. Some threshing crews had their own horse drawn cook car, that went along with the threshing machine. There used to be a meat wagon that drove around to the farms with fresh meat. Liver was given away free. Once the threshing crew was at our place - they always slept in the hay loft of the barn. My husband warned them about leaving matches where they slept; but some were left in the hay. Our two little boys (under school age) found the matches and started the hay on fire. The boys got out all right; but seven horses were burned. We cut their halter ropes, but they would not come out. One year in Dakota we did not raise anything at all because of drought.
The blizzards in North Dakota were terrible - there were no trees to stop the wind. When the men went to the barn, they put bushel baskets over their heads so they could catch their breath. I think thunder and lightning storms were more severe there too. We had a flowing well in North Dakota; but we couldn't drink the water - it gave us diarrhea. We saved rain water in a cistern. Once a year we cleaned it out.
We didn't get to church very often in Dakota. It was fifteen miles to Castleton. The priest used to say we only came when we had a baby to baptize. One time when we attended mass, the Sunday following a baptism, Father said, "What!." :"Have you got another baby to be baptized?" We used to heat the baby's bottle on top of a kerosene lamp. My husband made a wire to hold the bottle on top of the lamp chimney. Leo, our youngest child, died when he was two years old of Spinal Meningitis. Two of my sons, Jerome and Will served in the U.S. Navy and for a while I was a member of the American Legion Auxiliary. I also belonged to Rosary Society and Christian Mothers.
As a child, I remember the logs going down the Mississippi River. Sometimes they would pile up so high, they tipped the bridge over. At first there was a ferry boat right where the bridge is now. A man by the name of Graham owned the ferry. Sometimes logs would get under the ferry and make it shake and sway. This really scared me.
About 1920 we left North Dakota. My father was getting old, he wanted us to come back and run his farm. We rented a railroad car and put all our livestock, machinery, furniture, etc. in it. I and my new baby went on the train. My husband and the other children came in the car.
I think the best years of my life are my retirement years (now). "I never thought I would have it so good; after all the years of hard work." "I have kept a diary almost all of my life and I still do."