kelmark on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
Rachel Richards born abt 1801 in Birmingham, UK.
Trial 28 March 1818 in Warwick, England. Crime unknown at this stage. Apparently many Warwick trial records were destroyed.
Transported on Lord Wellington to Australia, arriving 20 January 1820 (left 1819).
Rachel applied for permission to marry two men, a John Haslam & James McCurdy. The 1828 census has Rachel living with James McCurdy and some of their children in Cumberland Street, Sydney.
Another reseacher and I consider that it is possible John Haslam (Tottenham:1818) and James McCurdy (apparently Tottenham:1818)are the same person ie, McCurdy or Haslam was in fact an alias, as the 1828 census states that McCurdy came on Tottenham (1818)but there is no record of this name on board.
In the 1828 census, Rachel is 28 years old, Free by Servitude, Catholic and under other names is McCurdy.
Her Certificate of Freedom, given in 1832, states "wife of John Haslam, per "Tottenham" ".
She died in 1873 at St Leonards.
Looking for other researchers of the Voysey family and associated families.
James Voysey m Hannah Peck 25 Jul 1763 Exeter, Devon, England
Zachariah Voysey m Catherine Lugg (daug of James Lugg & Catherine Spencer)23 Feb 1794 Saint David, Exeter, Devon, England
John Voysey m Margaret Goode (daug Thomas Good & Jane Mullins)
John & Margaret migrated with their children to what is now the Australian state of Queensland in 1849 on the ship Fortitude.
John Richard White was born 27 August 1865 in Rosstrevor, Killowen, County Down, Ireland to parents Richard White & Naffy (Annabella)Smith. His father Richard has been listed as a coastguard on certificates.
John was joined the Merchant Navy and eventually came to Australia, where he continued his naval service, including being a part of the Victorian contingent in the Boxer Rebellion. The State Library of Victoria holds his war time diary and many descendants have typed copies. His naval career continued as time went on and he became Lt Commander.
John's known brothers & sisters include Mary Anne, Joseph William, Richard, Annabella, Catherine & James Joseph. Two sisters became nuns and migrated to Australia also.
He married Amelia Agnes Auld on 15 April 1890 in Williamstown, VIC, and their children included John Richard (Jnr), Annabella, Amelia Agnes (Jnr- dec as child), Mary, Kathleen, William Joseph, Thomas Francis, CHristina Veronica & Amelia Agnes (Jnr 2).
John died on 14 May 1929 in NSW, Australia.
Looking for other researchers. I have some certificates.
Different White family from the other one I am researching.
Esther May White was the daughter of Bertrand Charles White (b 7 January 1873, West Maitland - parents Charles White & Annie Upward) & Violet Vera Vida Owens (b 19 August 1887, Barcaldine, QLD - parents John Owens & Eliza Helm).
Bertrand & Violet married in 1914.
Their children (Esther's brothers & sisters) include Queen, Joe, Ivy (Ruth), Joy, Alf, Bernard Coyne, & Charles Bertram.
Some of their children are still living, so their dates have not been given.
Would love to make contact with relatives or researchers.
John Wotton m Susan Giles in East Stonehouse, Devon, England in 1841.
2 children born in Devon befoire immigration - Mary Giles Wotton (1843) & Susan Jane Wotton (1846).
We think their entry to Australia is noted as "WATTON" in the paper The Register (SA) on the Trafalgar - arriving on 2 Jul 1847.
John and Susan's children:
* Mary Giles Wotton married Thomas Holmes on 20 May 1865 at St Jude, Port Elliot, South Australia.
* Susan Jane Wotton died as a child 04 Feb 1848 in Adelaide, South Australia.
* Son James John Wotton born in Adelaide, SA on 22 Dec 1848. He marries Harriet Hannah Stokes on 14 Apr 1873 at Residence of James Stokes, Currency Creek, South Australia. They move all around Australia, and end up settling in QLD. Their children include Esther, James John (Jnr), Augusta Ann, Ellen Hester, Alfred Harold, Robert Richard, Margaret Susan, Harriet Ethel and Edith May. James John (Snr) died 28 Feb 1941 in Roma, QLD.
* Susan Margaret Wotton was born on 15 Jun 1855 in Currency Creek, South Australia. She married Thomas Wilson on 18 May 1886, Bible Christian Church, Diapur Town, Wimerra, Victoria.
* Margaret Sarah Wotton b 16 Nov 1857.
* John William Wotton b 15 Feb 1861 in Currency Creek, South Australia. Was a witness to sister Susan's wedding in 1886.
* Robert Henery Wotton b 24 May 1864 in SA.
More on James John Wotton's descendants in another post.