kelmark on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
I am researching a branch of the COTTIER/SMITH family that moved to the US in the 1860s/1870s.
Emily Margaret Smith married William Talbot Cottier in 09 Jan 1864 in Queensland, Australia.
They sailed for the USA abt 1867 (daughter Mary b at sea).
By the 1880s, they arrived in California and settled in Oakland.
The family name is Cottier, I have found a few references online in some newspaper accounts. William Snr and Emily (nee Smith) divorced in 1894. I imagine this was not hugely common in those days? Do records exist? I have seen a record in the Oakland Tribune, dated May 03, 1897.
Children of William Talbot Cottier & Emily Margaret nee Smith
Emily B 18 Dec 1854 in Australia D 06 May 1865 in Australia
William Talbot Cottier Jnr B 08 Feb 1866 Australia D Unknown
M Unknown Issue not known
Mary B Abt. 1867 At Sea/Australia-USA D 1920, Albany, Alameda, Ca, USA M Robert Lee Davis ? Issue not known
Maud(e) B 11 Aug 1873 Utah, USA D 02 Dec 1941 Santa Clara, Ca, USA Never married, dies as Cottier Issue not known
Harriet (Hattie)B 06 Nov 1876 Nebraska, USA D 21 Jul 1942 Santa Clara, Ca, USA
M1 James E Brenner/Breuner 1904
M James E Naldrett ?
Issue not known
Kathryene 08 Jan 1874 Utah, USA D 18 Jul 1951 Albany, Alameda, Ca, USA
M1 RJ Miller (son of Frank G Miller) 1898 ?
M2 Patrick Michael Eisenhart 1910
Issue not known
Kathryene was one of the 3 Kates police women in San Francisco in the early 1900s.
Looking for other researchers of the Voysey family and associated families.
James Voysey m Hannah Peck 25 Jul 1763 Exeter, Devon, England
Zachariah Voysey m Catherine Lugg (daug of James Lugg & Catherine Spencer)23 Feb 1794 Saint David, Exeter, Devon, England
John Voysey m Margaret Goode (daug Thomas Good & Jane Mullins)
John & Margaret migrated with their children to what is now the Australian state of Queensland in 1849 on the ship Fortitude.
As mentioned in my prev post, "James John Wotton born in Adelaide, SA on 22 Dec 1848. He marries Harriet Hannah Stokes on 14 Apr 1873 at Residence of James Stokes, Currency Creek, South Australia. They move all around Australia, and end up settling in QLD. Their children include Esther, James John (Jnr), Augusta Ann, Ellen Hester, Alfred Harold, Robert Richard, Margaret Susan, Harriet Ethel and Edith May. James John (Snr) died 28 Feb 1941 in Roma, QLD".
More on the children of James and Hannah:
* Esther was born in 1871 in Currency Creek, South Australia.
* James John Wotton (Jnr) was born on 23 Apr 1874 in Currency Creek, SA. He married Annie Jane Cochrane in 26 Jan 1898 in Walgett, NSW. Their children were Alfred Llewellyn, Annie Pearl, James Charles, Lulu May (Lu), Margaret Ellen (Nell), Ethel Hannah (Ett), Augusta Harriet (Gus), Robert Carr (Bob)& Ada Emily. James John died on 16 Dec 1956 in Toowoomba, QLD.
* Augusta Ann Wotton was born in 1875 in Natimuk, Victoria.
* Ellen Hester Wotton was born in 1876 in Natimuk, Victoria.
* Alfred Harold Wotton was born in 1878 in Natimuk, Victoria.
* Robert Richard Wotton was born in 1880 in Kiata, Victoria. He died on the 22 Sep 1967 in Roma, QLD.
* Margaret Susan Wotton was born in 1882 in Nhill, Victoria. She married the brother of sister in law, Annie, who was Thomas Albert Cochrane, on the 19 Feb 1908 in QLD. Their children were Thomas James, Robert Henry and Margaret Ada.
* Harriet Ethel Wotton was born in 1889 in Swan Hill, Victoria.
* Edith May Wotton was born in 1892 in Parkes, New South Wales.
John Wotton m Susan Giles in East Stonehouse, Devon, England in 1841.
2 children born in Devon befoire immigration - Mary Giles Wotton (1843) & Susan Jane Wotton (1846).
We think their entry to Australia is noted as "WATTON" in the paper The Register (SA) on the Trafalgar - arriving on 2 Jul 1847.
John and Susan's children:
* Mary Giles Wotton married Thomas Holmes on 20 May 1865 at St Jude, Port Elliot, South Australia.
* Susan Jane Wotton died as a child 04 Feb 1848 in Adelaide, South Australia.
* Son James John Wotton born in Adelaide, SA on 22 Dec 1848. He marries Harriet Hannah Stokes on 14 Apr 1873 at Residence of James Stokes, Currency Creek, South Australia. They move all around Australia, and end up settling in QLD. Their children include Esther, James John (Jnr), Augusta Ann, Ellen Hester, Alfred Harold, Robert Richard, Margaret Susan, Harriet Ethel and Edith May. James John (Snr) died 28 Feb 1941 in Roma, QLD.
* Susan Margaret Wotton was born on 15 Jun 1855 in Currency Creek, South Australia. She married Thomas Wilson on 18 May 1886, Bible Christian Church, Diapur Town, Wimerra, Victoria.
* Margaret Sarah Wotton b 16 Nov 1857.
* John William Wotton b 15 Feb 1861 in Currency Creek, South Australia. Was a witness to sister Susan's wedding in 1886.
* Robert Henery Wotton b 24 May 1864 in SA.
More on James John Wotton's descendants in another post.
Arthur Albert Broughton (b abt 1872)and Elizabeth Emily Wilmer (b Abt. 1878). Unsure about their other children but we know Victor Gordon French Broughton was born on the 14th August 1915 in Croydon, Surrey, England.
Victor married Emily Elizabeth Alice Goss (Jill), who was the daughter of Clarence Archibald Goss (mother unknown), in 1939 at the Church of St Peter in Croydon. Their children were Michael Gordon (Abt 1940), Terence Keith (1941), Valerie Rose (1944) and Victoria Jillian (1946) Broughton.
Victor worked as a police officer for the Metropolitan Police Force and also served in WW2. The family migrated to Australia in 1960.
Any connections? Love to hear more info post Australia or before Arthur Albert/ELizabeth Wilmer.
Looking for Jewitt descendants.
John Jewitt m ?
Thomas Jewet / Jewitt (b Abt. 1825) m Sarah Talbot on 18 Jun 1844
Isabella Jewitt (b 10 Sep 1844) m William Blakey
As far as I know all of Durham. Can be found on the census returns of the time.
Charles and Helena also children of Thomas and Sarah Jewitt.
OLIVER and BLAKEY Families of Sunderland, Durham, UK -> NSW
George Oliver (Fitter) m Sarah Ellen Blakey (Spinster) on 23 Oct 1897 Registry Office, Sunderland, England. George's father also George (Moulder) - Sarah Ellen's father was William (Joiner). Witnesses were Hazard Stoddart and ? Stoddart.
George and Sarah Ellen migrated with their children to Australia on board Themistocles in Dec 1921.
One child, Matthew, stayed behind as he was already married and settled. I believe his son is also Matthew.
The other children were Isobel 'Sis', George 'Bill', Elizabeth, Nora, Harold, Winifred, Charles (Fred) & Ann (Nancy).
Looking for more info on both families pre 1921 in UK and post 1921 in Australia (Sydney, NSW). Would love to share info.
Isobel m Albert Thomas 'Tom' Graham
Bill m Janet Taylor (1) & Alma Leeming (2)
Elizabeth m John Richard White
Nora m Alfred Edward 'Bill' Clark
Harold m Vera A Harvey
Winifred m George Barker
Fred m Gwen ?
Nancy m ?
Genealogy is an amazing thing. The passion to find your roots is one known to many of us, and thanks to the marvels of the internet, more research from the comfort of your own home is possible than ever before.
One of the best things about internet research is the fact you can be connected with people all over the world in seconds. These people may have resources you don't; and vice versa. Many of them are waiting to help others, you just need to ask for it!
So much of my own research has been helped along by these genealogical 'Good Samaritans'. Sometimes, I like to think I may have done the same for others.
I strongly recommend, that if you have the resources, and the time, that you do a simple lookup for someone who needs it; and if someone does it for you, that you keep "paying it forward" and help someone else.
You may help someone advance their research by generations from typing in a few simple words and/or dates. Think how much it would mean to you!
Robert Heather m Elizabeth Wennington
Thomas 'Eather' m Elizabeth Lee (both English Convicts)
Rachel Eather m John Norris (son of convict & domestic convict)
Susannah Norris m Isaac Cook
Thomas Heather, from Kent, came to Australia as convict in Second Fleet - Neptune. Terrible conditions. Name changed to Eather after Australian arrival. Married Elizabeth 1791 in NSW.
Their children included my Rachel, James, Charles, Peter, thomas, Charlotte & Ann. Well known in Hawkesbury area.
Books have been written about family.
Please contact if related; would love to share more info :)
Rachel Richards born abt 1801 in Birmingham, UK.
Trial 28 March 1818 in Warwick, England. Crime unknown at this stage. Apparently many Warwick trial records were destroyed.
Transported on Lord Wellington to Australia, arriving 20 January 1820 (left 1819).
Rachel applied for permission to marry two men, a John Haslam & James McCurdy. The 1828 census has Rachel living with James McCurdy and some of their children in Cumberland Street, Sydney.
Another reseacher and I consider that it is possible John Haslam (Tottenham:1818) and James McCurdy (apparently Tottenham:1818)are the same person ie, McCurdy or Haslam was in fact an alias, as the 1828 census states that McCurdy came on Tottenham (1818)but there is no record of this name on board.
In the 1828 census, Rachel is 28 years old, Free by Servitude, Catholic and under other names is McCurdy.
Her Certificate of Freedom, given in 1832, states "wife of John Haslam, per "Tottenham" ".
She died in 1873 at St Leonards.