kerbent on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
Hopefully somebody can help - There has been a fair amount of confusion around who the parents of my John Bassett who was born in England and died in Victoria, Australia. I would value any help that could help me (and other descendants) get over this brick wall. I've tried to lay out the logic of my conclusion so that others might be able to show me where I'm wrong or perhpas an altervative way of approaching the same problem
Sandra from down under in Australia
When was John Bassett Snr Born?
On John Bassett's death certificate (died in Eaglehawk) in 1868 his age was 80 (birthdate would then be 1788)
In the 1841 census he was listed as being aged 50 born possibly in 1787-91
In the 1851 census he was listed as being aged 60 born possibly born in 1791
In the 1861 census he was listed as being aged 70 born possibly born in 1791
On his death certificate is states that was 80 years old when he died in 1868 which would have made his birth date 1788
From the above evidence it would seem that John Basset was probably born between 1788 and 1790.
Possible Candidates for the position of our John Bassett
John Bassett christened 27 March 1788, St Izzey, Cornwall his parents were William Bassett and Mary Symons. This John Bassett however died 7th Oct 1851 in Fairwater House, Taunton Somerset. John was a lunatic confined to Fairwater House Lunaic Asylum for many years admitted July 1828 having previously been a patient at a similar establishment near Tauton, Fivehead House since 25 Oct 1822. This was a wholesale move and transfer of licence from the one to the other asylum by the same surgeon/owner. Private patient. Cause of death peritonitis and effusion in the chest (Somerset RO 1/5/87)
John Bassett christened 5 September 1790, Madron, Cornwall Unfortunately only one parent is given, the father, to a William Bassett according to the Madron Parish records see below http://madronparishrecords.tripod.com/id24.html
"5 Sep 1790 John s/o William Bassett, pauper at Madron"
This could be MY John Bassett however on his death certificate it stated that John Bassett's parents were farmers (which may or may not be accurate), if his parents were farmers it is unlikely they would have been listed as paupers on his christening record.
Any one got any ideas?
William LOVELL, born possbily between 1806 and 1807 in Compton Martin, Somerset, England
William married Mary.
Mary was born about 1801 in Chillcott,Somerset, England
They had seven children:
1. Ann, born about 1826 in Compton Martin, Somerset,England
2. William, born about 1826 in Middlesex, England, United Kingdom
3. Francis, born about 1829 in East Acton, Middlesex, England(Francis married Hannah. Hannah was born about 1836 in East Acton, Middlesex, England, United Kingdom. They had five children: Edward Francis, Emily, Albert, Walter and Louisa.)
4. Mary, , born about 1834 in Middlesex, England, United Kingdom
5. Elizabeth, , born about 1838 in Compton Martin,Somerset, England
6. James, , born about 1840 in Compton Martin, Somerset,England, UK
7. William, .born about 1844 in Compton Martin, Somerset, England, UK
Hannah BOGIE born circia 1827 in Scotland who married John MILLIGAN in KIRKCALDY, FIFESHIRE, SCOTLAND
I am looking for information on a Hannah Bogie born cirica 1828 possibly in Kirkcaldy, Fifeshire, Scotland who married a John Milligan according to the IGI on 30 Oct 1846 in Dysart, Fife, Scotland.
I have found a Hannah Ropper Boggie who was born 05 AUG 1828 and christened on the 24 AUG 1828 in Dysart, Fife, Scotland and child of DAVID BOGGIE & ISABEL FYFE but I 'm not sure if she is the same person. I think I have found the family in West Gallatown North Side, Dysart in the 1841 Scottish Census; which would have been close to where my Hannah would have been born and got married.
Any information would be most helpful.
John Milligan born in Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland in 1827
In 1861 he lived in Dawell Brae, Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland his wife and children and was running a grocer shop.
By 1871 and till after 1881 he was living in Duddingston Midlothian Scotland and was a spitit merchant.
He married Hannah but may have another wife before Hannah called Margaret but I am not sure
Hannah maiden name unknown was born about 1828 in Kirkcaldy, Fifeshire, Scotland
John appears to have died between 1881 and 1891, although this has not been confirmed as the Scotish census does not give the maritial status of the people listed in the house hold, however John was not present and his wife was living with her daughter Margaret's family.
Children of John are:-
1. Alex Milligan born about 1849 in Haddington, Haddingtonshire possibly the son of the first wife Margaret
Children of John & Hannah appear to be:-
2. Isabella Milligan born about 1854 in Haddington, East Lothian, Scotland
3. Margaret Milligan born about 1857 in Dunbar, Haddingtonshire, Scotland
4. Robert J C Milligan born about 1860 in Dumbar, East Lothian, Scotland
5. Hannah Milligan born about 1862 in Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland
6. Elizabeth Milligan born about 1865 in Drummore, Midlothian, Scotland
Isabella Munro nee Jennings born in India died in Australia
Isabella was born 26 Dec 1837 in Maharashta, Bombay, India and christened on 14 Jan 1838 according to her birth certificate. Her father George Jennings was a Gunner Artillery (presumably in the India or British armies, I am not sure which) and her mother was Catherine. We think Catherine's surname may have been Jacob this has yet to be confirmed. married Alexander Andrew Munro aka Palmer(29 Sep 1826 - 13 Nov 1901) on: 28 Apr 1853 - St. Andrew Church, Bombay, India. Alexander was born in Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland and Alexander had 12 Children:
1. Blanche Angelina Louisa Munro (1857-1920)
2. James Palmer Munro (1858-1920)
3. Ruth Isabelle Munro (1860- )
4. Andrew George Munro (1861-1958)
5. Mary Ann (Minnie?) Munro (1863-1945)
6. Caroline Munro (1864-1968)
7. Margaret Jane (Maggie) Munro (1866-1895)
8. Catherine Eva Munro (1869-1950)
9. Francis William (Frank) Munro (1871-1960)
10. Sammuel Jennings Munro (1873-1945)
11. Isabel Mary "May" Munro (1876-1943)
12. Phoebe Munro (1878-Bef 1938)
The first 8 of the children were born in India, the last four were born in Australia.
Isabella died Nov 1938 - 8 Greeves Street, Fitzroy, , Victoria, Australia and was burred on the 14 Nov 1938 - Melbourne General Cemetery, College Crescent, Parkville, Victoria, Australia at the age of 104.
Interested in making contact with fellow researchers and family.
Hezekiah Bennetts from Perron, Cornwall to Australia first to Chewton and then to Clifton Hill, Victoria, Australia
Hezekiah Bennetts who was born c 1818 in Perron, Cornwall, England, son of Philip and Nancy Bennetts.
His first wife, Mary Nance1805 - died on 15 Aug 1878 in Chewton, where she is also burried. They were in 1839, Perranzabube, Cornwall, England.
He married his second wife almost 6 months later, Mary Bullus born c1808 - died 22 Mar 1895. Mary Bullus also died in Chewton and was also burried in the Chewton cemetery, she was 10 years Hezekiah's senior.
Hezekiah Children from his first marriage
1. Mary Bennetts (Cal 1840- )
2. Unknown Bennetts ( - )
3. Mary Jane Bennetts (Est 1842-Bef 1878)
4. Nancy Bennetts(Est 1842-Bef 1900)
5. Rebecka Bennetts (Est 1849-1912) who married Joshua Jackaon 3 Jul 1869 Chewton, Victoria, Australia
6. Mary Anne Bennetts (Est 1852-Bef 1878)
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has a connection with this family, Hezekiah Bennetts IS my 3xgreat grandfather.
On his son Reuben's death certificate his fathers was given as as William. However although WHEELER is a common enough Gloucestershire name, there is a Reuben WHEELER bapt Bisley Gloucestershire on the 12 Nov 18 02, therefore I feel that Thomas is likely to be correct name)
Thomas married Hannah Eagles on the 11 Nov 1800, in Bisley Parish, Glouchestershire, England, UK
Children of Thomas Wheeler and Hannah Eagles
At present I have only identified one child, my direct ancestor, there are possibly more yet to be found
Reuben Wheeler b. 1801, Gloucestershire, England, UK, c.14 Nov 1802, Bisley Parish, Glouchestershire, England died 19 Jul 1873, Napolean Street, Collingwood, Victoria, Australia, buried 28 Jul 1873, Boroondara Cemetery, Kew, Victoria, Australia
Reuben married Elizabeth Thomasb. 1802, Gloucestershire, England, UK, c. 28 Jul 1804, Pitchcombe Gloucestershire,England on the 27 Jan 1833, Pitchcombe, Gloucestershire, England
Elizabeth died 9 Jul 1871, Napolean Street, Collingwood, Victoria, Australia, and was burried.on the 12 Jul 1871 in Boroondara Cemetery, Kew, Victoria, Australia, par. Edward Thomas and Sarah Gardiner
Grand children of Thomas Wheeler and Hannah Eagles via Reuben
1. Selina Wheeler b. Abt 1834, Stroud, Gloucestershire, England, UK, d. 24 Jul 1899, Yarra River, Kew, , Victoria, Australia, bur. 28 Jul 1899, Boroondara Cemetery, Kew, Victoria, Australia
Selina married Thomas Crump on 30 Dec 1850 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
2-George Wheeler b. Abt 1836, Gloucestershire, England, UK, d. 16 Nov 1865, 9 Napoleon Street, East Collingwood, Victoria, Australia
George married Mary Humphrey Spear in 1853 in Victoria Australia.