ngairedith on Family Tree Circles

sort: Date Alphabetical
view: full | list

Journals and Posts


the Z surnames buried ASHBURTON Cemetery New Zealand

the Z surnames buried in Ashburton as at June 2011


18 July 1892 - Regina ZANDER
- born 18 July 1882
- daughter of Henry ZANDER & Florence Rosetta HERMAN
- Regina died aged 3 hours
- she is buried in PLOT 38, AREA 70



20 Nov 1927 Arthur Lonsdale ZOUCH
- born in 1884
- Arthur died aged 43 (site says 40)
- he was a Dentist
- he is buried PLOT 2, AREA 100



13 June 1976 - George Sylvester ZOUCH
- born 29 April 1911
- he was a Surveyor
- George died aged 65
- buried PLOT 1145, AREA OLD LAWN



5 August 1959 - Marjory Dove ZOUCH
- born about 1914
- Marjory was a Spinster
- she died aged 45
- buried PLOT 18, AREA 214



18 Nov 1972 - Mary ZOUCH
- born 22 July 1893
- Mary died aged 79
- buried PLOT 17, AREA 214 with Pat Lonsdale Zouch



27 August 1908 - Mary Dove ZOUCH
- born about 1859
- Mary died aged 49
- buried PLOT 1, AREA 100



9 October 1988 - Pat Lonsdale ZOUCH
- born 12 August 1920
- Pat was a Transport Manager
- Pat died aged 68
- buried PLOT 17, AREA 214 with Mary Dove Zouch



25 January 1999 - Raymond Pearce ZUPPICH
- born about 1915
- Raymond was a Labourer
- he died aged 84
- buried PLOT 247, AREA NEW LAWN with Rona Zuppich



30 July 1993 - Rona ZUPPICH
- born about 1916
- Rona died age 77
- ashes buried PLOT 247, AREA NEW LAWN with Raymond Pearce Zappuch



14 June 1957 - Lauritz Larsen ZUSCHIAG
- born about 1877
- Lauritz was a Labourer
- he died aged 80
- buried PLOT 4, AREA 51

the ZABELLs on PECK of TAITA

the ZABELLs on the tree up to 13th August 2010

1. Zabell, Bertha Mary (b.1884)

2. Zabell, Charles Henry (1832 - 1905)

3. Zabell, Sarah Lily (b.1878)

the ZACHAN on PECK of Taita (includes New Zealand settlers)

the ZACHANs on the tree up to 13th August 2010

1. Zachan, Alexander Frederick (1897 - 1983)
- buried Hastings

2. Zachan, Amy Adelaide (1894-1989)
- married Patrick ORMOND in 1917
- buried Napier

3. Zachan, Ernest Charles (1851 - 1939)
- married Ovidia Bolette THORESEN (THOMSON) in 1886
- buried Napier

4. Zachan, Ernest Charles William (1891-1898)
- died aged 7 by drowning (fell off the Port Ahuriri Wharf, Napier)

5. Zachan, Ethel Charlotte (1889-1976)
- married Samuel James BROOKING 1913
- married James Robert SHOESMITH in 1921

6. Zachan, Olive Wilhelmina (b.1887)

7. Zachan, Ruby Violette (1907-1984)
- married Charles Alfred ROIL 1928
- married Donald McAllister PRIEST in 1953
- (Donald was married to Olive Jessie Dawson MAIN in 1926)

8. Zachan, Thomas Charles Edward (1908 - 1992)
- married Winifred 'Winnie' HODDER in 1939
- buried in Napier

9. Zachan, William Ernest (b.1899)

the ZANDER marriages in New Zealand 1876 - 1926

some of th known ZANDER marriages in NZ from 1886 to 1926

the men ZANDER:

Benno John Zander
- married Helen URQUHART in 1926

Edwin Paul Zander
- married Agnes MILLIGAN in 1921

Frederick Wilhelm Zander
- married Annie GROVES in 1920

Henry Zander
- married Florence Rosetta HERMAN in 1886

Henry Frederic Zander
- married Euphemia LAMONT in 1916

Lezer Zander
- married Jeanie SHERR in 1924

Otto Zander
- married Katie Maud RUDKIN in 1886

Reinhold Ernst Zander
- married Franziska Ernstine Ottilie DECKE in 1917

the women ZANDER:

Anna Lydia Agnes Zander
- married Charles William Eric HEGGLAN in 1914

Clara Martha Linda Zander
- married Hector Clarence GROVES in 1923

Gertrude Elizabeth Hilda Zander
- married Robert Wellington McMILLAN in 1920

Johanna Zander
- married Herrmunn FRIELDLANDER in 1876

Kate Maude Zander
- married William McKINLAY in 1894

Selma Christina Elsa Zander
- married Eric Albert RALPH in 1920

the ZILLWOODs on my tree

the ZILLWOODs on my tree up to 13th August 2010

1. Zillwood, Ada Evelyn (1868 - 1892)

2. Zillwood, Alice Grace Margaret (b.1904)

3. Zillwood, Carolene Diane

4. Zillwood, Christopher Vincent (1879 - 1960)

5. Zillwood, Clarence Keith (1905 - 1976)

6. Zillwood, Doris Grace Olive (1902 - 1964)

7. Zillwood, Elizabeth Ann (1838 - 1839)

8. Zillwood, Ellen Jane Louisa 'MARY ANN' (b.1841)

9. Zillwood, Frank Stanley (1902 - 1945)

10. Zillwood, Frank Thomas Hart (1872 - 1936)

11. Zillwood, George Hector (1882 - 1883)

12. Zillwood, George Redvers (1901 - 1958)

13. Zillwood, Horace Udy (b.1907)

14. Zillwood, Iris Daphne (b.1908)

15. Zillwood, Jocelyn Anne

16. Zillwood, Joseph (1804 - 1854)

17. Zillwood, Keith Vincent

18. Zillwood, Leonard George (1904 - 1968)

19. Zillwood, Leonard Joseph (b.1874)

20. Zillwood, Leonard Joseph Burton

21. Zillwood, Lydia Grace (1870 - 1896)

22. Zillwood, Marie Dawn

23. Zillwood, Melva Daisy Evelyn (b.1903)

24. Zillwood, Murray Udy (b.1947)

25. Zillwood, Olive Georgina (b.1884)

26. Zillwood, Percy William (1881 - 1917)

27. Zillwood, Rex Vincent

28. Zillwood, Thomas (1839 - 1924)

29. Zillwood, unknown DAUGHTER (b.1906)

30. Zillwood, unknown SON (b.1906)

31. Zillwood, unknown SON (b.1908)

32. Zillwood, Valerie June

33. Zillwood, Walter Willam (b.1837)

34. Zillwood, William (b.1844)

the ZILLWOODs on my tree

the ZILLWOODs on my tree as at 16th September 2010

1. Zillwood, Ada Evelyn (1868 - 1892)

2. Zillwood, Alice Grace Margaret (b.1904)

3. Zillwood, Carolene Diane

4. Zillwood, Christopher Vincent (1879 - 1960)

5. Zillwood, Clarence Keith (1905 - 1976)

6. Zillwood, Doris Grace Olive (1902 - 1964)

7. Zillwood, Elizabeth Ann (1838 - 1839)

8. Zillwood, Ellen Jane Louisa 'MARY ANN' (b.1841)

9. Zillwood, Frank Stanley (1902 - 1945)

10. Zillwood, Frank Thomas Hart (1872 - 1936)

11. Zillwood, George Hector (1882 - 1883)

12. Zillwood, George Redvers (1901 - 1958)

13. Zillwood, Horace Udy (b.1907)

14. Zillwood, Iris Daphne (b.1908)

15. Zillwood, Jocelyn Anne

16. Zillwood, Joseph (1804 - 1854)

17. Zillwood, Keith Vincent

18. Zillwood, Leonard George (1904 - 1968)

19. Zillwood, Leonard Joseph (b.1874)

20. Zillwood, Leonard Joseph Burton

21. Zillwood, Lydia Grace (1870 - 1896)

22. Zillwood, Marie Dawn

23. Zillwood, Melva Daisy Evelyn (b.1903)

24. Zillwood, Murray Udy (b.1947)

25. Zillwood, Olive Georgina (b.1884)

26. Zillwood, Percy William (1881 - 1917)

27. Zillwood, Rex Vincent

28. Zillwood, Thomas (1839 - 1924)

29. Zillwood, unknown DAUGHTER (b.1906)

30. Zillwood, unknown SON (b.1906)

31. Zillwood, unknown SON (b.1908)

32. Zillwood, Valerie June

33. Zillwood, Walter Willam (b.1837)

34. Zillwood, William (b.1844)

Theodora Helen STANLEY - Canterbury, Napier, Cambridge

Theodora Helen STANLEY (1858-1945)
- had 9 known children -

she was married in New Zealand on 4 October 1875 to:
John James Broughton EPPS (1838-1883)
Theodora was 17 & John was 37
He was a Cook. In 1881 they were living in Templeton, Christchurch

JOHN & THEODORA had 5 CHILDREN:

... 1
1876 - 1930 John William Herbert Epps
- born 16 January 1876
- John married Margaret Catherine McBURNIE in 1901
- their known children:
1912 - John Bernard Gordon Epps


... 2
1877 - 1958 William Henry Epps
- born 12 July 1877
- William married Annie WATTAM (1876-) on 1 May 1905
- daughter of George & Mary Ann WATTAM
- Annie's brother Robert married William's sister Emma (see below)
- their known children:
1906 - Cedric George Epps
1908 - Winifred Rose Epps
1909 - William Henry Epps
1911 - Stanley Bertram Epps


... 3
1879 - 1964 Bertram Alfred Broughton Epps
- born 8 June 1879
- Bertram married Eliza?/Raiha TAKIMOANA in 1908
- their known children:
1910 - Ethel Epps


... 4w
1881 - 1961 Martha Helen Broughton Epps
- born 25 March 1881
- Martha married Sutherlnad SHAW (1880-1927) in 1904
- their known children:
1905 - Dougla Shaw
1907 - Myrtle Marion Tremblett Shaw
1910 - Ronald Sutherland Shaw


... 5
1883 - 1954 Emma Louisa Epps
- Emma was born 3 months after her father died
20 April 1883 at Southbridge, the widow of the late Mr John Epps, of a daughter. Hawkes Bay papers please copy
- Emma married Robert WATTAM (1883-1957) on 20 Sep 1905
- son of George & Mary Ann WATTAM who arrived in NZ 1875
- Robert's sister Annie married Emma's brother William (see above)
- Robert & Emma were farmers on the crner of Zig Zag & Swayne roads, Fencourt District, Cambridge
- their known children (they had 6):
1907 - Hazel May Wattam
1908 - Robert George Wattam
1911 - Eileen Mary Wattam
EMMA LOUISA Wattam died 19 Feb 1954 aged 70 in Cambridge, Hamilton
ROBERT Wattam died 14 March 1957 aged 73 in Cambridge
- they are buried Plot 220, BLock G at Hautapu cemetery


JOHN EPPS died 4 February 1883 aged 45
5 Feb 1883
... About 6.30 p.m. yesterday a man named John Epps, who has been cooking for the workmen at the Waiau bridge, was crossing from the township to their camp on the other side of the river, when he fell off the narrow planking and was drowned. Two of the workmen were crossing at the same time but unfortunately neither of them could swim. They both however, ran down the river bank and endeavored to intercept him. One of them, named Laurence Georgeson, at great risk to himself, got within a short distance of him at the ford, but failed to reach him and immediately aferwards he disappeared. Numbers of men were soon on the spot, and continued till dark in the search for the body, but without avail. Constable Cartmell and a party of men rode some distance down the banks of the river in the hope of rescuing the unfortunate man. The search was resumed at daylight next morning, the body was found on a spit about two miles down, and carried to the Waiau Hotel, where an inquest will be held. It would appear that in falling he struck against some of the woodwork of the bridge, as his head was much out and bruised, and was seen floating on his back for a considerable distance down the stream. Report says that Epps was a good swimmer and had received a medal from the Royal Humane Society for saving life. He leaves a wife and four young children (Emma was born 3 months later), totally unprovided for. An inquest will be held to-day if possible


ON 30 April 1887 THEODORA had a son (father not recorded):
... 6
1887 - 1983 Frederick Rupert Epps
- no spouse found for Frederick
- after his mother married his name became Marshall


ON 26 February 1889 THEODORA next married Robert MARSHALL (1837-1909)
- Theodora was 31 & Robert was 52
- Robert was a son of James MARSHALL (of Scotland died in Ireland) & Mary McBRIDE (1796-1861) (of Ireland died in Napier, NZ). Robert first married Mary Jane MANDER in 1863 & had 8 children at Meanee Flats from 1864-1876

THEODORA & ROBERT had 3 CHILDREN:
... 7
1890 - 1891 May Marshall
- born 4 Oct 1890
- May died 3 August 1891 aged 10 months


... 8
1891 - 1968 Leslie Arthur Marshall
- born 19 September 1891 at Brookfields, Meanee, Napier
- in 1902 Leslie was enrolled at Goodwood School, Cambridge, Waikato
- Leslie married Daphne Stephanotis TORY (1893-1990) in 1915
- Daphne was a daughter of Samuel TONG & Isabell WATERWORTH
DAPHNE Marshall died in Hastings


... 9
1893 - 1976 Stanley Douglas Marshall
- in 1906 Stanley was enrolled at Goodwood school, Cambridge, Waikato
- Stanley married Elizabeth WARNOCK in 1921



ROBERT MARSHALL died 30 April 1909 aged 72
- burial unknown at this time

THEODORA HELEN Marshall died 24 April 1945 aged 87 in Cambridge
- she is buried Plot 18, Block J at Hautapu cemetery


can you help with where Theodora, John were from ??


PHOTO
WAIAU FERRY BRIDGE

When the Waiau River ferry bridge opened in 1887, replacing the ferry, there was a grand opening, with a huge marquee erected on the flat land near the bridge. It has been known ever since as Champagne Flat.
These days the bridge (at only 35 metres) is popular with first time Bungy jumpers


Theophilus 'John' Abbott MELLSOP - Waiuku from 1855

Theophilus 'John' Abbott MELLSOP was born 1803 in Parsonstown,
now Birr, County Offaly, Ireland

London Gazette, 22 May 1842
... 66th Foot, Theophilus John Abbott Mellsop, Gent, to be Ensign, by purchase, vice Newdigate, promoted in the Coldstream Regiment of Foot Guards

The Tablet, 1st March 1845
NAVAL AND MILITARY INTELLIGENCE
WAR OFFICE, Feb., 25
... 66th Foot-Ensign Theophilus John Abbott Mellsop to be Lieutenant, by purchase, vice Coates, whose promotion has been cancelled

Anna 'Maria' Sophia SPEEDY was born 1803 in Dublin, Ireland

John & Maria married in Ireland in 1832
they had 6 known children & then emigrated to New Zealand

Maria left Drumcondira, Dublin, Ireland with their 6 children, on the Carnatic which left London 3 Sep 1855 and arrived into Auckland 28 Dec 1855. A possible brother, James Speedy, accompanied her but not seen on passenger list
John appears to have taken a different route (via America) and arrived 1856 or early 1857. More research needed.
The family settled in Glenbrook (near Waiuku/Pukekohe), Auckland

THEIR CHILDREN
... 1
1834 - 1896 John Thomas Mellsop
- John married Charlotte Elizabeth CRISPE 4 Sep 1862 in Mauku Church in a double wedding with sister Maria
Daily Southern Cross, 6 September 1862
... On the 14th ultimo, at the Mauku church, by the Rev A. G. Purchase, Mr J. T. Mellsop, of Knockmaroon, to Charlotte Elizabeth, youngest daughter of Mr Crispe, of Stanlake. No cards sent
ALSO, at the same time and place, Mr Francis Stevens, of Auckland, to Maria, second daughter of Mr J. Mellsop, of Mauku. No cards sent
- daughter of Joseph CRISPE & Jane HEYWOOD
their 10 known children:
* 1863 - 1934 Mary Theodora Heywood Mellsop
* 1864 - 1930 Harold Crispe Mellsop
* 1866 - 1884 Leonora Mellsop
* 1867 - 1938 Charles Heywood Mellsop
* 1869 - 1913 Arthur Ethelbert Mellsop
* 1870 - 1960 Kathleen Mellsop
* 1874 - 1952 Florence Lillian Mellsop
* 1875 - 1924 Jane Octavia Ida Mellsop
* 1877 - 1963 Harry Oswald Mellsop
* 1879 - 1914 Laurence Lionel Mellsop


... 2
1837 - 1883 Annie Elizabeth Mellsop
- Annie married John WHEELER in 1866
their 10 known children:
* 1867 - 1891 Katherine Elizabeth Wheeler
* 1868 - 1940 Charlotte Maria Wheeler
* 1870 - 1947 William Edward Wheeler
* 1871 - Ernest Wheeler
* 1873 - 1938 Edith Wheeler
* 1874 - 1968 Thomas Ochold Wheeler
* 1876 - 1941 Gertrude Wheeler
* 1879 - 1945 Arthur Octavius Wheeler
* 1881 - 1977 Olive Clair Wheeler
* 1882 - 1954 Harry Cecil Wheeler


... 3
1839 - 1865 Maria Mellsop
- Maria married Francis STEVENS (1835-1911) 14 Sep 1862 at Mauku Church in a double wedding with brother John
their 2 known children:
* 1863 - 1865 Ada Minnie Stevens
* 1865 - 1932 Clara Elizabeth Stevens
New Zealand Herald, 25 March 1865
... STEVENS - On the 11th March, at Bolton-street, Wellington, Maria, the beloved wife of Francis Stevens, Esq., late of Auckland, aged 26 years
- Francis next married Lydia Emma SLADEN (1835-1871) in Wellington 9 Jan 1867
- he next married Ellen MacLURCAN (1837-1916) in Wellington 30 Dec 1871


... 4
1840 - 1924 Bessie Allen Mellsop
- Bessie married Heywood Melville CRISPE 14 may 1874 in Auckland
- son of Joseph CRISPE & Jane HEYWOOD
their 4 known children:
* 1876 - 1953 Heywood Melville Crispe
* 1880 - 1880 Joseph Leslie Crispe
* 1881 - 1962 Clarence Augustus Crispe
* 1886 - 1948 Colin Raymond Russell Crispe
New Zealand Herald, 26 February 1924
OBITUARY of Mrs Heywood Crispe
... ... The death of Mrs Heywood Crispe, which occurred at the residence of her son, Mr H. M. Crispe, at Mauku, last Friday, removes the last of the original settlers of Mauku still remaining in the district. The only tow survivors of the band of pioneers who originally came to Mauku 67 years ago are now Dr J. Giles and Mr. W. Gearson, of Auckland.
Mrs Crispe was the youngest daughter of the late Mr John Mellsop, who, with his family, arrived at Auckland by the Carnatic on December 27, 1855. A few months later they proceeded to Mauku where settlement was just beginning, and took up land. All communication with the outside world was then by way of an arm of the Manukau, there being no roads. One of the difficulties of frontier life then was to obtain an education for children, and in Mrs Crispe's case it was solved by sending her to be taught with the children of the Rev. John Morgan at Te Awamutu. This meant a canoe journey of three days up the Waikato and Waipa Rivers, with halts at Kohanga, where the Rev. Dr. Maunsell had a mission station, and at Rev. Mr. Ashwell's mission at Taupiri. During the two or three years she spent at Te Awamutu Mrs Crispe witnessed the birth of the "King" movement and the coronation of Potatau (Te Wherowhero), the first "King"
In the year 1861 the natives of Patumahoe, who had always been unfriendly toward the adjacent Mauku settlers, became so threatening that the Government deemed it prudent to remove the woman and children to a place of safety and arm the men. The immediate cause of the crisis was the finding of the dead body of a native named Eriota, who the Maoris chose to believe had been shot by a white man. The non-combatants were all taken aboard a schooner en route for Onehunga, and the men garrisoned Major Speedy's house. The next day the natives, having given satisfactory assurances of their pacific intentions, the fugitives returned to their homes. Later it was proved beyond all reasonable doubt that Eriota had been murdered by a slave named Pukapuka.
Two years later, when the Waikato war broke out, there was another hurried flight of the settlers from their homes. This time, after spending three days and nights in the church, guarded by the rifles of the Mauku volunteers, the women and children were conveyed to Auckland, not to return for nearly a year. The men, under the command of the late Major D. H. Lusk, remained, and put up a record for bush-fighting only exceeded by Jackson's and Von Tempsky's redoubtable Forest Rangers. Of the, only two are known to be still living. Mr James Finlay, of Auckland, and Mr Charles Dromgool, ot Tuakau.
In 1874 Mrs Crispe married, her husband being the late Mr Heywood Crispe, one of the original settlers, and a member of the Forest Rifles, who died about 15 years ago. There are three sons, Messrs H. M. and Clarence Crispe, of Mauku, and Mr Colin Crispe, of Clevedon


... 5
1841 - 1900 James Mellsop
- James married Emma Lascelles WILY in 1882
their 4 known children:
* 1883 - 1883 Henry Arthur John Mellsop
* 1886 - 1969 Winifred Lascelles Jenner Mellsop
* 1888 - 1916 Geoffrey Henry Jenner Mellsop
* 1891 - 1965 Dorothy Speedy Jenner Mellsop
New Zealand Herald, 10 April 1900
SUDDEN DEATH AT MANGERE
... Quite a shock was experienced through the Mangere district yesterday morning when it became known that Mr James Mellsop, head teacher of the Mangere school, had died suddenly at his residence about midnight on Sunday. Mr Mellsop was enjoying the best of health until 10 o'clock on Sunday night, when, as he was preparing to retire, he was seized with an apoplectic stroke. Dr Scott, of Onehunga, was summoned by telephone, and arrived within three-quarters of an hour, and stayed by his patient till death took place. Mr Mellsop has been head teacher of the Mangere school since June, 1884, a period of nearly 16 years. His death is not only a great loss to the Mangere district, but a distinct loss to the teaching staff of the Auckland Education Board. During his term of office at the Mangere school the annual high percentage of passes, the number of scholarships and honours taken by his pupils, as well as the tome and discipline of the school, show a splendid record.
Mr Mellsop leaves a widow and three children, the youngest of whom is eight years of age. They are assured of the deepest sympathy of the residents of Mangere in their great bereavement


... 6
1843 - 1925 Charles William Mellsop
- Charles married Mary Ellen BAYLIS in 1871
their 4 known children:
* 1871 - 1968 Charles William Mellsop
* 1874 - Henry Mellsop
* 1877 - Elinor Mellsop
* 1880 - John Mellsop


JOHN MELLSOP died 4 August 1887 aged 83
Auckland Star, 12 August 1887

... MELLSOP - On August 4, at the residence of his son, J. T. Mellsop, Knockmaroon, Waiuku East, John Mellsop, late of Dublin, Ireland, in the 84th year of his age

MARIA MELLSOP died 4 July 1892 aged 88
New Zealand Herald, 8 July 1892

... MELLSOP - On July 4, at Waiuku, Maria, relict of the late John Mellsop, in her 89th year


PHOTO
MAUKU CHURCH

from the site Cyclopedia of New Zealand (Auckland District)
(which mentions a mumber of the above)


there are 228 HARRIS on my tree - including New Zealand settlers

a list of the 228 HARRIS on my tree as at 24th September 2010

1. Harris, Abraham (1810 - 1874)
2. Harris, Abraham William (1882 - 1900)
3. Harris, Abraham 'ABE' (1858 - 1921)
4. Harris, Abraham 'DICK' (1876 - 1968)
5. Harris, Abraham 'JOHN' (1933 - 1989)
6. Harris, Abraham John 'ABE' (1855 - 1935)
7. Harris, Akuira (1916 - 1916)
8. Harris, Albert
9. Harris, Albert Redvers (1907 - 1971)
10. Harris, Alexander Thomas
11. Harris, Alexandria Victoria 'MAUDE' (1875 - 1963)
12. Harris, Alfred (1874 - 1937)
13. Harris, Alfred George (1861 - 1955)
14. Harris, Alfred John Samuel (1889 - 1917)
15. Harris, Alice Mabey (1868 - 1941)
16. Harris, Alice Marion (1892 - 1970)
17. Harris, Alice May (1899 - 1934)
18. Harris, Alisha June (b.1928)
19. Harris, Allan Rayner (1879 - 1918)
20. Harris, Allan Roy (1920 - 1986)
21. Harris, Alma Dolly (1901 - 1990)
22. Harris, Amey (b.1797)
23. Harris, Amy Gertrude (1879 - 1956)
24. Harris, Anne (b.1818)
25. Harris, Annie (1866 - 1867)
26. Harris, Annie (1867 - 1937)
27. Harris, Annie May (1897 - 1950)
28. Harris, Annie Myrtle (1901 - 1974)
29. Harris, Arthur Abraham (1872 - 1942)
30. Harris, Arthur Benjamin (1874 - 1937)
31. Harris, Arthur Ernest (b.1935)
32. Harris, Arthur Frank Bernard (1905 - 1975)

33. Harris, Bernard Orsman (1902 - 1978)
34. Harris, Bertha Hinemoa (1900 - 1956)
35. Harris, Bertha Mura (1899 - 1978)
36. Harris, Beryl Marjorie 'MAY' (1904 - 2002)
37. Harris, Blanche Ethel (1885 - 1955)
38. Harris, Bruce Campbell (b.1923)

39. Harris, Cavell Alicia (1916 - 1994)
40. Harris, Cecil 'DICK' (1906 - 1997)
41. Harris, Charles David (1843 - 1913)
42. Harris, Charles Leonard (1884 - 1962)
43. Harris, Charles Richard (1906 - 1978)
44. Harris, Charles Russell 'JACK' (1910 - 1974)
45. Harris, Charlotte (1854 - 1944)

46. Harris, David (1808 - 1874)
47. Harris, David (1842 - 1843)
48. Harris, David Trevor (1926 - 1952)
49. Harris, Dulcie Evelyn (1889 - 1972)

50. Harris, Edith Emma (1879 - 1888)
51. Harris, Edna Emma (1905 - 1981)
52. Harris, Edward (1773 - 1824)
53. Harris, Edward (b.1812)
54. Harris, Edward George (1867 - 1934)
55. Harris, Edward Richard (1835 - 1901)
56. Harris, Edward Shane (b.1947)
57. Harris, Eleanor 'HELEN' (1819 - 1882)
58. Harris, Eleanor 'Nellie' (b.1881)
59. Harris, Eliza (1852 - 1933)
60. Harris, Eliza Ann (1873 - 1908)
61. Harris, Eliza 'PHOEBE' (b.1874)
62. Harris, Elizabeth
63. Harris, Elizabeth (b.1803)
64. Harris, Elizabeth (1864 - 1923)
65. Harris, Elizabeth Jessie (1882 - 1930)
66. Harris, Elizabeth Sarah (1851 - 1913)
67. Harris, Elizabeth Ellen . (1844 - 1903)
68. Harris, Elizabeth Jessie (1875 - 1961)
69. Harris, Elizabeth Sarah (1868 - 1948)
70. Harris, Ellen Matilda (1848 - 1938)
71. Harris, Emily (1866 - 1936)
72. Harris, Emily Mary Jane 'JEAN' (1902 - 1987)
73. Harris, Emma (1856 - 1950)
74. Harris, Emma Jane (1860 - 1938)
75. Harris, Emma Jane (1835 - 1835)
76. Harris, Ernest William Gregory (1888 - 1979)
77. Harris, Eva Ellen (1883 - 1968)
78. Harris, Evelyn Arete 'RETE' (1904 - 1960)

79. Harris, Frances Holly 'RITA' (1904 - 1987)
80. Harris, Francis (1850 - 1869)
81. Harris, Frank Edgecombe (1892 - 1973)

82. Harris, George (1846 - 1894)
83. Harris, George (1877 - 1961)
84. Harris, George Edward (1889 - 1917)
85. Harris, George Gregory (1894 - 1979)
86. Harris, George Hutchinson (1911 - 1912)
87. Harris, George Richard (1937 - 1981)
88. Harris, George Rigby (1853 - 1857)
89. Harris, George Ernest (1876 - 1897)
90. Harris, George Pain Hutchinson (1891 - 1916)
91. Harris, Gwen Minnie (b.1933)

92. Harris, Harriett Ann (1868 - 1897)
93. Harris, Henry Edgecombe (1863 - 1932)
94. Harris, Henry Edgecombe (1887 - 1960)
95. Harris, Henry George 'GUV' (b.1873)
96. Harris, Henry Walter (1902 - 1978)
97. Harris, Herbert Hewinson (1872 - 1946)
98. Harris, Hubert Raymond Massey (1891 - 1918)

99. Harris, Ian Douglas (1932 - 2005)
100. Harris, Ian Layton (b.1953)
101. Harris, Ida May (1884 - 1952)
102. Harris, Ida May (1893 - 1957)
103. Harris, Ida Myrtle (b.1909)
104. Harris, Ihia Isabel Jessie 'Betty' (1915 - 1996)
105. Harris, Isabella Charlotte (1887 - 1934)
106. Harris, Ivy Catherine (b.1895)

107. Harris, Jack (1911 - 1966)
108. Harris, Jack Mabey (1921 - 2000)
109. Harris, James (1861 - 1937)
110. Harris, James (1866 - 1867)
111. Harris, James (b.1878)
112. Harris, James (1832 - 1887)
113. Harris, James (1833 - 1897)
114. Harris, James Nelson (1890 - 1954)
115. Harris, Jane (1842 - 1871)
116. Harris, Jane Amelia (b.1865)
117. Harris, Janet Belemore (1849 - 1925)
118. Harris, Jean
119. Harris, Jessie (1871 - 1927)
120. Harris, Jessie (1908 - 1965)
121. Harris, Jessie Rose (1875 - 1957)
122. Harris, Jessie Elizabeth (b.1884)
123. Harris, Joan (1805 - 1857)
124. Harris, Joan Edna (1932 - 1984)
125. Harris, Job (1879 - 1960)
126. Harris, Jobe
127. Harris, John
128. Harris, John (1845 - 1848)
129. Harris, John (1867 - 1900)
130. harris, John (1943 - 1943)
131. Harris, John B. (b.1848)
132. Harris, John George 'JACK' (1863 - 1936)
133. Harris, John Robert (1866 - 1910)
134. Harris, Jonah (1879 - 1897)
135. Harris, Jonah (1840 - 1917)
136. Harris, Joyce Louisa 'JOY' (b.1913)

137. Harris, Kathleen Valentine (1898 - 1898)
138. Harris, Kelly (1914 - 1993)

139. Harris, Leonard (1885 - 1946)
140. Harris, Leonard (1895 - 1969)
141. Harris, Leslie Charles Abraham (1925 - 1990)
142. Harris, Lilian Eade (1883 - 1967)
143. Harris, Lloyd George (1918 - 1962)
144. Harris, Luke (1818 - 1878)
145. Harris, Lulu Ivy (1902 - 1969)

146. Harris, Mabel Jane (1887 - 1966)
147. Harris, Margaret
148. Harris, Margaret Ellen (1889 - 1951)
149. Harris, Margaret Jimita (1895 - 1961)
150. Harris, Margaret Rose (b.1936)
151. Harris, Mary (1847 - 1931)
152. Harris, Mary (1865 - 1865)
153. Harris, Mary Ann (1871 - 1872)
154. Harris, Mary Harriet (1817 - 1836)
155. Harris, Mary Jane (1877 - 1942)
156. Harris, Mary Agnes (b.1889)
157. Harris, Mary Ann (b.1796)
158. Harris, Mary Ann (1844 - 1937)
159. Harris, Mary Ann (1861 - 1942)
160. Harris, Mary Ann (1831 - 1893)
161. Harris, Mary Ann 'SIS' (1883 - 1952)
162. Harris, Mary Ellen (1870 - 1927)
163. Harris, Mary Maria (1873 - 1907)
164. Harris, Mary Ann (b.1865)
165. Harris, Matilda (1871 - 1923)
166. Harris, Maud Annie (1876 - 1948)
167. Harris, May (1887 - 1962)
168. Harris, Merville Simpson (1901 - 1949)

169. Harris, Ned (1904 - 1970)
170. Harris, Nelson (b.1904)
171. Harris, Ngaire (1906 - 1907)
172. Harris, Noel Victor (1891 - 1929)

173. Harris, Olga Irene (1896 - 1966)
174. Harris, Olive Roberta Johnson (1896 - 1979)

175. Harris, Phebe Joyce (1913 - 1984)
176. Harris, Phillip James (b.1966)
177. Harris, Phoebe 'MINNIE' (1881 - 1942)
178. Harris, Phylis (1900 - 1976)
179. Harris, Phyllis Jessie 'JESS' (1899 - 1991)

180. Harris, Rachel (1863 - 1926)
181. Harris, Ralph ' Webb' (1908 - 1992)
182. Harris, Rayner 'RAY' (1894 - 1918)
183. Harris, Reuben John (1889 - 1896)
184. Harris, Rex Arthur Barlow (1913 - 1971)
185. Harris, Rita
186. Harris, Robert (1881 - 1969)
187. Harris, Rose Hannah (1881 - 1942)
188. Harris, Roy (1895 - 1918)

189. Harris, Samuel George
190. Harris, Samuel Gregory (1858 - 1907)
191. Harris, Samuel Gregory (1816 - 1902)
192. Harris, Sarah (b.1800)
193. Harris, Sarah Jane (1854 - 1854)
194. Harris, Sarah Ann (1844 - 1878)
195. Harris, Sarah Jane (1837 - 1918)
196. Harris, Sarah Jane Annie (1877 - 1972)
197. Harris, Sophia (1873 - 1922)
198. Harris, Sophia (1811 - 1888)
199. Harris, Sophia 'PEARL' (1887 - 1955)
200. Harris, Sophia Jane 'JENNIE' (1877 - 1928)
201. Harris, Sophia Jane Annie (1868 - 1910)
202. Harris, Sophia Ann Helen (1867 - 1956)
203. Harris, Sydney Abraham (1911 - 1989)
204. Harris, Sydney Reginald (1892 - 1961)

205. Harris, Thomas (1814 - 1818)
206. Harris, Thomas (1880 - 1950)
207. Harris, Thomas (1839 - 1924)
208. Harris, Thomas Abraham (1870 - 1948)
209. Harris, Thomas Errol (1891 - 1951)
210. Harris, Thomas John 'PUKIO JACK' (1905 - 1996)

211. Harris, Verna Doris (1897 - 1964)
212. Harris, Viva Elaine (1894 - 1897)

213. Harris, Wallace
214. Harris, Walter (1865 - 1936)
215. Harris, Walter (1910 - 1910)
216. Harris, Walter (1837 - 1915)
217. Harris, Walter Claude (1891 - 1917)
218. Harris, Walter Lawrence (1887 - 1896)
219. Harris, William (1860 - 1954)
220. Harris, William (1835 - 1901)
221. Harris, William Charles (1875 - 1938)
222. Harris, William Henry (1850 - 1853)
223. Harris, William James 'JOB' (1908 - 1961)
224. Harris, William Maxwell (b.1951)
225. Harris, William Walter (1870 - 1946)
226. Harris, William Henry (1868 - 1927)
227. Harris, Wyvern Edward (1898 - 1918)

228. Harris, Yvette Joan (b.1930)

they held HOTEL LICENSES in NELSON 1867

The first publicans' licences were issued in Nelson in April 1842. There had been considerable public agitation to legalize a trade which had begun to flourish outside the law. Eight licences were issued and another six the following year. All were within the town, except for one at Motueka.

Some of these first public houses lasted only a year or two and left little evidence of their existence. The Ship Inn of J. Collins, The Shamrock Inn of T.K. Warburton, the New Zealand Tavern of Thomas Bright and William White and William Miller's Tavern come into this category. The Auckland Hotel of Richard Mills, in Nile Street East, became a private boardinghouse in 1844.

Others with a short life-span were the Nelson Hotel of William Wright, at the junction of Bridge Street and Haven Road and Edward Ellerm's Lord Collingwood Inn, in Bridge Street. In 1843 the Lord Collingwood Inn was bought by T.K. Warburton and he added a ballroom, which was the scene of a select ball on New Year's Day 1844.
... more at link above

The ANNUAL LICENSING MEETING held on Tuesday, April 16, 1867 for the district of NELSON, was held at the Court-house beofre J. Poynter, sq., R.M., and the following Magistrates:- A. Richmond, N. G. Morse, N. Edwards, Captain Wright, Sheppard, Brunner, Renwick, G. White, W. W. Wells, A. Williams, and others

Some additional info taken from 19th CENTURY NELSON HOTELS
* PART 1 written c1987
* PART 2 written c1988

The following licenses were granted:

TOWN LICENSES
Ann ADAM, - Anchor Inn
... The Shipwright's Arms, on section 61 Haven Road, was licensed by Frederick Freeman in 1860. The six-roomed mud and wood house had been built in 1856. It was taken over by Stephen Adam in 1861 and renamed the Anchor Inn in 1862. Adam died in 1864 and the hotel was then run by his widow, Ann, until the late 1870s. A new Anchor Inn was built in 1883, with Benjamin Osborne becoming landlord and a name change to the Clarendon Hotel. It closed in the 1890s and became a boarding-house

Henry BALY, - Wine and Spirit Merchant

Henry Silvester BUSH, - Steam Boat Tavern
... The Haven Inn was licensed by William Crowther in 1854 and stood on section 39 Haven Road, at the bottom of Russell Street. In September 1856 Crowther respectfully advised lovers of the sport of skittle-playing that a large and commodious covered skittleground was now attached to the Haven Inn.
In the Police Court in April 1858, William Crowther accused Charles Hamilton of forcibly entering the Haven Inn and assaulting him. Crowther had hit Hamilton over the head with a soda bottle. The case was dismissed and both men were bound over to keep the peace.
At the licensing meeting in April 1858 the name was changed to the Northumberland Arms. John Marsden took the hotel over from Crowther in March 1860 and changed the name to the Steamboat Tavern. The hotel was rebuilt about 1864, with Henry Silvester Bush as landlord. Frederick Stock took over in 1872, but died two years later. The Steamboat Tavern had closed by 1887

Robert CARTER, - Lord Nelson Hotel
... On the north side of Bridge Street, between Trafalgar and Collingwood Streets, were the Lord Nelson (18651872) and the Geelong & Ballarat Hotel (18651868)

Hugh CORREGAN, - Miners' Arms
... The Miners' Arms Hotel, built in 1855, was on the north west corner of Hardy and Collingwood Streets. Henry Jasper was an early landlord. The hotel was rebuilt in 1883 and, before this, its name had been changed to the Panama Hotel. The Panama closed in July 1976 and the building is now used as legal offices

Hugh COTTIER, - Albion Hotel
... The Albion Hotel was over the road from the Pier, at the entrance to the Albion Wharf. It was licensed by Frederick Stock in April 1859. Later landlords were Hugh Cottier and Samuel Wadman. It ceased operating as an hotel in the 1880s. The building was demolished in 1910 and the site was later used for the Port police station

Robert DISHER, - Trafalgar Hotel
... George Taylor took the Anchor Inn in 1852. In November 1854 he advised that the building was to be replaced and that he trusted, in a short period, to be able to provide superior and comfortable accommodation for both man and horse. The new building deserved a new name and, the following March, Mr & Mrs Taylor advertised that their new and extensive premises, the Trafalgar Hotel, would be open in a few weeks.
Mrs Taylor had secured the services of an experienced French cook, which would enable her to provide dinners in a superior style. An active and efficient tavern waiter had also been engaged and visitors could depend on receiving attention and civility. In conclusion they trusted that the Trafalgar would, like the illustrious battle which gave it name, not be forgotten by the 'men of Nelson'. This building stood until 1907, when the Trafalgar Hotel became an elaborate three storey structure

Joseph EDWARDS, - Prince of Wales Hotel
... The Prince of Wales Hotel was in Collingwood Street, between Nile and Manuka Streets. It was run by Joseph Edwards, in a five-roomed cottage, from 1864 to 1867. Its moment of fame came in August 1866, when a barman rescued nine year old Henry Webb from a runaway horse and took him into the hotel. Henry suffered broken bones, but there was hope of a recovery

Edward EVERETT, - Bank Hotel
... The Bank Hotel stood next door to the Masonic in Hardy Street and was destroyed in the 1867 fire. The building was owned by Edward Everett and had been built in 1859. Originally the location of the Nelson Club, it had become an hotel in 1865

Charles GENTRY, - Wakatu Hotel
... The Wakatu Hotel, the best known of the early public houses, stood on the north-west corner of Trafalgar and Bridge Streets. It had been built in 1843, by the merchants Nathan and Joseph, to replace their store at Auckland Point. They sold-up in August 1843 and the building was leased to James Williams, who continued to use it as a store and auction rooms. In October 1844, Williams absconded in debt to Alexander Perry, another merchant, who then rented the building. Perry converted it for use as a public house, and it was licenced as the Wakatu Hotel early in 1845. The first landlord was John McDonald, a gardener of Brook Street.
The Wakatu Hotel, described as commodious premises, included a billiard room and was an important social centre in the early days of the settlement. It was the scene of many public and private meetings and testimonial dinners. When it closed, The Colonist noted that a visit to the Wakatu Hotel had been regarded by country residents as the one relief from their struggles, as they had always been sure of finding congenial company there.
The Bank of New South Wales bought the property in 1877 and advertised the buildings for removal. The buildings and their contents were auctioned on 13 July 1877. The contents, which included spittoons, found a ready market and the buildings were purchased for thirtynine pounds by Thomas Harley, who had been born on the premises.
Next door to the Wakatu Hotel in Bridge Street stood the Galatea Hotel, built in 1868. Thomas Askew was the first landlord. The licence was taken by Mrs Russell in 1873 and the name changed to the Exchange Hotel. The Exchange closed on 17 September 1951 and its licence went to the Metropolitan Hotel

James GRAHAM, - Thistle Inn
... Further along Bridge Street, the Thistle Inn stood between Harley Street and Provincial Lane. It was built in 1855, was still there in 1876, but had gone by 1887

Henry JASPER, - Pier Hotel
... The Pier Hotel was built on section 34 at the Port by Hooper & Co in 1859. It was licensed by Joseph Winterburn and had nine rooms. In 1885 a new Pier Hotel was built alongside the existing building. The Pier closed 9 September 1967 and was demolished 1 October 1967

W. JENNINGS, - London Tavern
... The London Tavern, built in 1857 on section 60, was double-storeyed, with thirteen rooms. In January 1858 the Nelson Examiner reported that Mr F. Stock had opened his spacious hotel with a sumptuous dinner, and the toast drunk "success to the landlord". It suffered a succession of landlords and by 1873 had ceased to operate as an hotel. It became a boarding house and private residence, until finally taken for school grounds in the 1970s

John JERVIS, - Commercial Hotel
... In 1843 the Lord Collingwood Inn was bought by T. K. Warburton and he added a ballroom, which was the scene of a select ball on New Year's Day 1844. Warburton had also held the licence for the Commercial Hotel in Bridge Street. In 1843 the Commercial was taken by J. Cockburn. It was described as extensive premises and included a billiard room

Thomas MARTIN, - Rising Sun
... The Rising Sun Hotel, in Waimea Road near the corner with Van Dieman Street, was built in 1857 and licensed by John Goldsworthy in 1858. Thomas Martin presided in the 1860s, followed by H. Hall, J. R. Gilbert and Alfred Bradley. The hotel was rebuilt in 1883 and continues in the same building

Charles McGEE, - Nelson Hotel
... Others with a short life-span were the Nelson Hotel of William Wright, at the junction of Bridge Street and Haven Road and Edward Ellerm's Lord Collingwood Inn, in Bridge Street. In 1843 the Lord Collingwood Inn was bought by T. K. Warburton and he added a ballroom, which was the scene of a select ball on New Year's Day 1844

Charles MOORE, - Post Boy Hotel
... The Post Boy Hotel, at the corner of Vanguard and Gloucester Streets, was licensed by George Potter in 1868, in a house built in 1866. His widow continued to run the hotel for several years after his death in 1872. The building was condemned by the Licensing Committee in 1930 and a new hotel opened in December of that year, with the name The Club. In March 1939 the name reverted to the Post Boy

Stephen OWENS, - Mitre Hotel
... The Mitre Hotel, on the north-west corner of the intersection, was built in 1859. Another victim of the 1866 fire, it was rebuilt the same year and was renamed the Criterion Hotel in the 1870s. It had become the Temperance Hotel by 1887, which must have gladdened the heart of the Temperance Hall over the road. It lasted until 1912

Joseph PORTHOUSE, - Royal Hotel
... Information on a fire in the old Royal Hotel, Bridge Street, in March 1915, has been found since writing part one of this article. The replacement for this building combined with the Metropolitan Private Hotel on the corner, to open as the new Royal Hotel in 1916

George POTTER, - Coach and Horses
... The Freemasons' Arms, on the north-east corner of Trafalgar and Bridge Streets, was licenced in 1842 by F. A. Lloyd. It became a centre for members of the Oddfellows Lodge, who held their meetings there. Thomas Sullivan, a central figure in the Lodge, held the licence from 1846 to 1854 and, in 1847, the name was changed to the Oddfellows' Arms. It was the venue for Lodge dinners and for their charity occasions for widows and orphans. In 1856, the Oddfellows built their own hall and transferred their activities to it.
William Akersten took the licence in 1858 and changed the name to the Marine Hotel, reflecting his interests at the Port, where he had a well-known chandlery. Akersten advertised that Lloyd's Register, Marryatt's signal books, charts of New Zealand and many works of reference in nautical matters, would always be found on the table of the Captain's Room
Charles McGee took over in 1859 and the Marine Hotel was advertised to let in January 1864. George Potter, the new licencee, gave the hotel a new name the Coach and Horses. The building was replaced in stages, beginning with the Trafalgar Street frontage in 1870. This was added to in Bridge Street in 1877 and there were later extensions along Trafalgar Street. The hotel had its final change of identity in 1906, when it became the Central Hotel. It closed in December 1972 and the licence went to the new Rutherford Hotel. The building still stands. see photo

George RICHARDSON, - Golden Fleece Hotel
... The Fleece Tavern was built at the corner of Nile Street and what is now Rutherford Street in 1858. George Richardson held the licence until his death in 1869. The name changed to the Golden Fleece in the early 1860s. The hotel was the venue for Nelson Building Society meetings for many years. In May 1904 Alexander Handel advertised that he had taken the Golden Fleece, which had been thoroughly renovated and refurnished "accommodation and liquor will speak for themselves". The hotel was rebuilt in 1916. An application was granted in December that year for the Golden Fleece to carry on in temporary premises. The new building was half completed, but the contractors were experiencing difficulty in obtaining bricklayers. On the application of Mr E. Moore, the name was changed to that of the Dominion Hotel

Frederick STOCK, - Custom House Hotel
... The Customhouse Hotel was built in 1865, opposite Akersten's store at the Port. John Hitchcock was the first licensee and others included Mrs Beaver, John Gilmer and then his wife. In the early hours of 26 November 1903 the hotel was gutted by a fire, which also destroyed the Union Steamship Company's Office. Frank Dakin the landlord, his family and other occupants escaped with minor injuries, but Mr Bridle lost his bicycle

Jonathan Akrill THORNTON, - Victoria Hotel
... previously Bridge Hotel

Richard TOWNSEND, - Greyhound Inn

Joseph TRIMBLE, - Masonic Hotel
... Opposite the Commercial Hotel, on the north-east corner, stood the Masonic Hotel. Built of wood in 1850, it was destroyed by fire on 7 November 1867. It was replaced by a two storied brick building and its rather harsh appearance was softened by the later addition of stone facings. The Masonic Hotel was demolished 16 April 1955. The Bank Hotel stood next door to the Masonic in Hardy Street and was destroyed in the 1867 fire. The building was owned by Edward Everett and had been built in 1859. Originally the location of the Nelson Club, it had become an hotel in 1865

W. K. WATERS, - Geelong and Ballarat Hotel
... On the north side of Bridge Street, between Trafalgar and Collingwood Streets, were the Lord Nelson (18651872) and the Geelong & Ballarat Hotel (18651868)

John WHENT, - Prince Albert Hotel
... The Prince Albert Hotel was built in 1857, a little further along Nile Street East from its namesake. Owned by Hooper and Dodson, the first licence holder was Joseph Edwards. He was followed by G. Herwin and William Good. The Prince Albert was rebuilt in 1888, opening on 12 November of that year, and this building survives today

John WILSON, - Bush Inn

William WRIGHT, - Ship Hotel
... The Ship Hotel was licensed in 1866 by William Wright, in a building put up in 1861 and added to in 1865. It was on section 35 at the Port and later landlords included James Jacks and Joseph Moreling. The name changed to the Tasman Hotel in 1912 and the hotel closed 16 July 1966, making way for the present Tasman Tavern


COUNTRY DISTRICTS
Henry John Louis AUGARDE, - Turf Hotel, Stoke

William AUTY, - Motueka Hotel, Motueka
... The first publicans' licences were issued in Nelson in April 1842. There had been considerable public agitation to legalize a trade which had begun to flourish outside the law. Eight licences were issued and another six the following year. All were within the town, except for one at Motueka

Thomas William BENFIELD, - Star and Garter, Richmond
... Lower down Queen Street today, the Star and Garter Hotel still serves the travelling public and local people under the management of Mr Jack Pretty. The present roughcast building was built to replace the old wooden building which was demolished after being damaged by fire in 1950. The first building was sited off the roadway. A curved carriageway was a distinguishing feature of this hotel, only removed when the establishment was rebuilt, although several structural changes had been made. Mr J. R. Dodson was the owner in 1880 and onwards. Numerous landlords have served loyally over the years. Some who were there before 1900 were: 1860 R. Disher, 1865 R. Malcolm, 1867 T. W. Benfield, 1873 W. Tovey, 1886 J. Harris, 1892 Matthew Green, 18951903 J. Schroder, who was relieved by Mr Hurley and son. And so the list goes on spanning 133 years of service since George Snow conferred the name of a well known London Inn on the first hotel in Richmond

C. BLACK, - Wheat Sheaf, Richmond

Newman BOSELEY, - Bay View Hotel
... MURDER at the BAY VIEW HOTEL

John DISHER, - Spring Grove Hotel, Spring Grove

A. HUBBARD, - Elephant and Castle, Ranzau

George LYNE, - Swan Inn, Motueka

George Fairweather MOONLIGHT, - White Hart, Richmond
... Built in 1867 by George Moonlight, almost opposite the Red Horse, was the White Hart, displaying a white deer with wide spread antlers. Following George Moonlight was Mrs Kite in 1871, J. Hay 1888, Victor Granville 1889, Henry Satherley 1890, Mr Brocklebank 1898. It, too, was razed by fire and rebuilt as a boarding house. Mrs Windlebourne kept that for a number of years. John Sharp was owner in 1887. The Gladstone Park Motor Camp caretaker lives in the third building to be erected on the site

John RYAN, - Plough Inn, Richmond

H. WARREN, - Red Horse, Richmond


BILLIARD LICENSES
John DEVONPORT, - Commercial Billiard Saloon

R. DISHER, Trafalgar Hotel


The application of Adolphus DIDSON, for a license at Riwaka, was refused


PHOTO
the COACH and HORSES HOTEL
- formerly the MARINE HOTEL until 1864 -


1 comment(s), latest 1 year, 4 months ago