ngairedith on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
visit this site FARMERS, OLD SETTLERS
for more information and photos of the old settlers of Wanganui
... the bios were written about 1895 ...
Alexander, James, Settler, Wanganui. Mr. Alexander was born in Scotland in 1818, and died at Wanganui on the 14th of July, 1895. With his brotherAlexanderhe landed in Wellington in 1840 per ship Martha Ridgway, and subsequently settled in Wanganui...
Allison, (Dr.) James, Sheepfarmer, Wanganui. This pioneer colonist landed in Wellington in 1840, afterwards settling in Wanganui, where he remained seven years...
Allison, Alexander, Farmer, Letham, Wanganui. A son of the late Dr. Allison, M.H.R., the subject of this sketch was born in 1849 at Boulderbank, Marlborough...
Bamber, Thomas, Sheepfarmer, No. 2 Line, Wanganui. The son of an old settler, after whom he is named, Mr. Bamber was born in 1864 in Wanganui, and was educated in his native place...
Brann, John Henry Charles, Settler, No. 2 Line, Wanganui. This gentleman was for fifteen years the proprietor of a private school in Boulcott Street, Wellington, and previously was assistant to the late Mr. E. Toomath. Mr. Brann was born in 1827 in Kent, England, and was educated at the public schools. After a short term as a teacher in England, he came to Lyttelton in 1860 per ship Gannanoque....
Brightwell, Thomas, Farmer, Wanganui. This old colonist, who was born in 1814 at Eydon, Northamptonshire, left England in 1834 for North America, and, after farming near Buffalo for a short period, embarked at New Bedford on a three years' whaling expedition to the South Seas, dipping into New Zealand waters in December, 1837. Landing at the Bay of Islands, he joined the whaler Harriett, which on leaving the bay became a total wreck...
Brightwell, Edwin, Farmer, Brooklands, Westmere, Wanganui. Mr. Brightwell's farm of 200 acres, six miles from town, is extremely fertile and well-adapted for fruit-growing, twenty-five acres being so employed...
Cameron, Allan, Sheep and Cattle-farmer, Wanganui. Mr. Cameron resides on the well-known estate of Marangai, near Wanganui. Mr. Cameron's father, Mr. John Cameron, purchased the property in 1841, and resided there with his family till his death, in 1894...
Campbell, George William, Farmer, Brunswick, Wanganui. Born in 1849 in New Brunswick, Canada, Mr. Campbell came to New Zealand in 1853 with his father, who settled in the district and gave it its name. His early days were spent on his father's farm, where he remained until after his death, in 1867...
D'Anvers, Roland, Settler, Culworth, Upokongaro (see photo below). The fifth son of the late Mr. Frederick Samuel D'Anvers, who was connected with the East India Company for many years, the subject of this notice was born at Hornsey, Middlesex, England, in 1844, and received his education at King's College, Canterbury, England. He travelled for some time after completing his college course, and in 1864 came to New Zealand...
Donald, John, Dairy-farmer, Westmere, Wanganui. Besides forty acres of leasehold property, Mr. Donald has seventy-two acres of freehold, which he uses as a dairy-farm. The stock yards and cow-bails, which are of iron-bark, were erected by the late Mr. W. H. Watt, at a cost of 300. Born in Kincardineshire, Scotland, in 1841, Mr. Donald arrived in Auckland in 1884 in the ship British King. ...
Duncan, Andrew, Farmer, Wanganui. This old settler, who was born in 1805 at Curranshaw, where he was educated, came to New Zealand by the Bengal Merchant in 1840...
Duncan, John, Sheepfarmer, Otairi Station, Otairi. Private residence, Durietown, Wanganui. Mr. Duncan landed in the Colony with his parents in January or February, 1840, having arrived per ship Bengal Merchant....
Fernie Bros., Farmers, Ohimiti, Kaiwhaike, and Aberfeldie, Makirikiri, Wanganui. Both brothers were born at Wanganui, their father, Mr. John Fernie, who was a native of Scotland, coming to New Zealand in 1854. He returned to England, was married, and came out to the Colony again in 1860...
Harris, Samuel Gregory, Settler, Wanganui. Born in 1816, near Plymouth, England, where he was educated, after engaging in farm-work for a few years Mr. Harris came to New Zealand, landing in 1841, under engagement with the New Plymouth Company...
Harrison, Henry Nevison, Farmer, Fordell. This old settler is the eldest son of the late Mr. H. S. Harrison, who is referred to in these pages as an exmember for Wanganui. Born in Wakefield, Yorkshire, in 1837...
Henson, John, Settler, Victoria Avenue, Wanganui. Born in Northamptonshire in 1821, Mr. Henson worked on the North Western, the Great Western, and the Eastern Counties railways for a number of years. He took part in the construction of the Paris section of the Paris-Belgium Railway for a number of years, and was afterwards employed in England on the Brackley and Bambury Railway. After four years in business on his own account at Potterspury, Northamptonshire, he came to New Zealand, and settled in Wanganui on the Industrial School Estate, of which he leased a portion for many years...
Higgie, Thomas, Sheep and Cattle-farmer, Okoia, Wanganui. This old colonist was born in 1841 on board the ship Olympus, on her voyage to New Zealand, Dr. Featherston being the ship's doctor. For a time Mr. Higgie's parents resided at Porirua, his father, it is said, being the first contractor doing business in Wellington...
Higgie, Morris, Sheepfarmer, Rosmond, Matarawa. The son of Mr. Thomas Higgie, an old settler at Okoia, who is referred to in these pages, Mr. M. Higgie was born in 1869 on the station which he now works...
Humphrys, William Darnell, Sheep and Cattle-farmer, Waipakura, Wanganui. Mr. Humphrys was born at Congleton, Cheshire, England, in 1870, and was educated at Oswestry, Shropshire, receiving his farming experience at the Colonial College, Suffolk. He came to New Zealand in 1890 to his brother, Mr. George Humphrys, of Hunterville, with whom he remained for eighteen months, when he bought the freehold of a property, Ashcombe, about fifteen miles from Wanganui, consisting of 750 acres. In 1896 he took a lease of the property which he now farms, consisting of 750 acres. In 1896 Mr. Humphrys was married to Miss Ethel Mary Ward, third daughter of Judge Ward...
Lees, Allan Cameron, Settler, Fassiefern, No. 2 Line, Wanganui. A native of London, where he was born in 1841, Mr. Lees was educated in the north of Scotland. Landing at Wellington in 1861 per ship Wild Duck, ...
McDonnell, William, Settler, Wanganui. The son of a commander in the British Navy, who visited New Zealand as early as 1828, the subject of this notice was born in London in 1838, and three years later arrived with his parents at Wellington...
McGregor, Gregor, Settler, Wanganui. Among the early colonists of New Zealand, now passed away, must be numbered Mr. Gregor McGregor. Born in the Island of Uist in 1818, he received a sound grammar school education, and was afterwards apprenticed as a carpenter and boatbuilder. In 1840 he came to New Zealand in the ship Blenheim,...
McKain, J. M., Farmer, Fernhill, Wanganui. Born in Wellington, Mr. McKain's father, who arrived in Wellington by the second ship, being proprietor of the Halfway House at Porirua for many years, the subject of this notice went to Wanganui and became a stockman on a station for some time...
McWilliam, Peter, Settler, Mars Hill, No. 2 Line, Wanganui. A native of Aberdeen, Scotland, where he was born in 1830, Mr. McWilliam came to Wellington in 1853, after spending two years in South Africa and about one year in Victoria on the Bendigo diggings...
Mitchell, George, Farmer, War Ora, Westmere. Mr. Mitchell's property of 970 acres of freehold land, situated six-and-a-half miles from Wanganui, and three miles from Kai Iwi, is capable of carrying four sheep to the acre all the year found. Born in Aberdeenshire in 1845, and brought up to a farming life, Mr. Mitchell came in 1862 per ship Echunga to Canterbury...
Morgan, John, J.P., Settler, Newtonlees, Wanganui. Born in 1829 at Gillingham, Dorsetshire, England, where he was educated, Mr. Morgan came to New Plymouth in 1850 in the barque Berkshire....
Murray, John Blair, Sheepfarmer, Southern Grove, Westmere, near Wanganui. The property is 1400 acres in extent, 600 being freehold; nearly 700 acres have been under the plough, and about 3500 sheep and 130 head of cattle and twenty-five horses are depastured on the property. There is a substantial dwelling of eleven rooms, with an orchard of one acre adjoining there are also four acres of orchard planted on another part of the properly. Mr. Murray, who was born in 1849 in Glasgow, was educated at the Glen School in that city, apprenticed to Nelson's Locomotive Works, and was afterwards in Messrs. Randolph and Elder's Marine Engine Works. After two years' experience in America he returned to Scotland for a short time, and came to Dunedin about 1871...
Owen, William Thomas, Farmer, Featherston, near Wanganui. The property, which is about ten miles from Wanganui, consists of 942 acres on which sheep and cattle are depastured. Mr. Owen came to Wellington in 1852 by the ship Stately,...
Papanui Station, which is the properly of Messrs. Studholme, consists of 4000 acres of land in the Mangamahu District...
Mr. Edgar Arundle Lewis, J.P., the manager of the Papanui Station, was born in England in 1856, and was educated at the Royal Naval School, New Cross. He came to the Colony per ship Crusader, and landed in Lyttelton in 1873...
Parkes, Frederick Richard, Settler, St. John's Hill, Wanganui. This old colonist was born in London in 1831, and came to New Zealand in 1840 per ship Aurora, landing on the Petone beach...
Peake, Henry Lacy, Settler, Plymouth Street, Wanganui. Born in 1832, in Denbigh, North Wales, Mr. Peake came out to Australia in 1852, landing at Melbourne. Twelve months were spent on the goldfields and in gaining a knowledge of station-life, when Mr. Peake came across to New Zealand per barque Eliza, arriving in Wellington in 1853...
Peake, John William, Settler, St. John's Hill, Wanganui. Born in 1830 in Denbigh, North Wales, Mr. Peake was brought up as a barrister of the Middle Temple, but disliking the law as a profession came out in 1852 to Australia, and proceeded to the gold-diggings at Bendigo, Ballarat, and Forest Creek, where he remained twelve months with varied success. Coming across to New Zealand per ship Eliza, he landed in Wellington in 1853...
Pointum Estate, the property of Mr. T. B. Williams, which is situated on the No. 2 Line at Matarawa, consists of 332 acres of fine land, which is in a high state of cultivation...
Mr. Alexander Murray Thompson, Manager of the Pointum Estate, was born in 1865 at The Grove, Marlborough...
Poole, Joseph Edward, Turf Commission Agent, Maida Villa, Wilson Street, Wanganui. Mr. Poole was connected with the Wanganui Jockey Club for seventeen years. Born in London in 1841, and educated in Kent, he arrived in Auckland when nine years of age by the ship Monarch....
Reid, William, Settler, Plymouth Street, Wanganui. Born on the 11th of June, 1823, in the parish of Banff, Banffshire, Scotland, where Mr. Reid was early engaged in farming pursuits, he gained considerable experience in farming and cattle-breeding on different estates. He came out to Lyttelton in March, 1851, per ship Travencore, when there was but one house in Lyttelton and one in Christchurch...
Rice, Samuel, Sheep and Cattle-farmer, Brandon, Wanganui. The farm of 486 acres of first-class land depastures 800 Lincoln sheep and fifty head of cattle; it has been occupied by Mrs. Rice's family since, 1852...
Sherriff, Arthur, Sheepfarmer, Rusthall, No. 2 Line, Wanganui. A son of one of the early settlers, who came to the Colony in the forties under the auspices of the New Zealand Company, Mr. Sherriff was born in 1850 in Brighton, England, and came to Wellington per ship Wild Duck in 1863...
Smith, Charles, Settler, Te Korito, Wanganui. Born in Wiltshire, England, in 1833, this old settler was educated at the University College School, London, where he was a schoolmate of Mr. (afterwards Sir) Julius Vogel. Mr. Smith was articled to a lawyer in London, but took a fancy for farming, and went to an agricultural college till 1859, when he decided to come to New Zealand. Arriving in Wellington by the ship Hastings, he came to Wanganui and took up his farm of about 2700 acres...
Taylor, Thomas Ballardie, J.P., Settler, Wanganui. Born in Anstruther, Fifeshire, Scotland, in 1816, Mr. (better known as Captain) Taylor was drowned in Cook's Strait off the brig Lady Denison on the 16th of July, 1871. At an early age he went to sea, where he served his apprenticeship for four years, and prior to coming out to Sydney in 1840, per ship Planten,...
Taylor, Thomas Chalmers, Settler, Bell Street, Wanganui. The eldest son of the late Mr. T. B. Taylor, the subject of this notice was born in 1848 at Wanganui. Completing his course of study at Madras College, St. Andrew's, Scotland, Mr. Taylor returned to New Zealand in 1866...
Watt, John Paton, Settler, Wanganui. A brother of the late Mr. W. H. Watt, M.H.R., and a son of Mr. George Paton Watt, of Fife, Scotland, the subject of this notice was born in Dundee in 1825. He arrived in the Colony in 1846, and was for some years captain of the ship Governor Grey, trading between Wanganui, Wellington, and Sydney...
Watt, William Thomas Whillen, Farmer, Wanganui. This gentleman, who was a son of the late Captain J. P. Watt, was born in 1857 in Wanganui, where he was educated. For several years before his death in 1892, he managed the Lily Bank Estate, together with his own property of 500 acres at Tokomaru...
Woon, Garland William, Ex-Civil Servant, Rao[unclear: ri]kia. Mr. Woon's father was the Rev. William Woon, who was one of the early missionaries, and in company with Messrs. Watkin and Turner, was sent out by the Wesleyan Missionary Society in 1830 to the Friendly Islands. They travelled in a whaler and called at the Bay of Islands en route. The Rev. Mr. Woon remained in Tonga for about three years, and while resident in Nukualofa, the subject of this article was born. The reverend gentleman and his family then removed to Hokianga, on the north-west of New Zealand, where they remained until the Hone Heke war in the year 1845...
York, William, Settler, Guyton Street, Wanganui. Born in 1829 in Coldstream, Berwickshire, Mr. York worked as a carpenter in London for three years. Landing in Brisbane in 1854, after a year he went to Sydney, where he helped to construct the first railway station. As a goldminer he was at the Woolshed diggings in Victoria. After his arrival in New Zealand, he was at the Whakamarina diggings for a time...
A ferry crossing the Wanganui River at UPOKONGARO in 1908
* VETERANS AT GOVERNMENT HOUSE
* SEBASTOPOL DAY AT GOVERNMENT HOUSE
* Sebastopol Day celebrates the end of the main battle of the Crimean War - the 11 month siege of the Russian city of Sevastopol on the Black Sea, 17 Oct 1854 – 9 Sep 1855
* The A.C. FIELD FORCE, story of NZ's soldier police
* PHOTO of a group of veterans at the Government House fête in 1900
Evening Post, 10 Sep 1900
It was a happy thought which led His Excellency the Governor to invite the veterans of the Imperial Army and navy to dine at Government House, and the day chosen for the reception - the anniversary of the Battle of Sebastopol - was an appropriate occasion. It was a remarkable coincidence that about one third of the number of the soldiers who on Saturday responded to the call to fall-in on the lawn should have been veterans of the Crimea.
Punctually at 2 o'clock all sorts and conditions of men, but all wearing decorations on their breasts, met at the rendezvous, and were in due course ushered into the corridor. Some apologised to the orderly for having omitted to bring their invitation cards, whispering into his private ear - "As a matter of fact, you know, the missus kept it as a great memento!" The "That's quite right!" of the orderly came as a great relief to the nervous, who had feared that there was no admittance without a ticket. But they found that the silver badge of courage worn on the breast carried them throughout the afternoon.
The next ordeal for the nervous old warriors was hearing their names loudly called by the receiving Aide-de-Camp (Hon. C. Hill-Trevor) on their entry into the reception room, where Lady Ranfurly shook hands with all the guests and passed them along to Lord Ranfurly, who expressed his pleasure at having them with him that day and then introduced each soldier and sailor to his two daughters. The young ladies in turn greatly delighted the time-worn members of the party by helping them to their seats. The Hon. Mr Butler (Hon. Aide-de-Camp) also assisted in receiving and placing the guests.
Looking down the table from the Governor's left hand, the only two New Zealand Cross and their wearers in the assembly were conspicuous. The decoration is handsome and the men caught the eye also. Sergt. Sam Austin (of Wanganui) ... (more at link) and Private Tom Adamson ... (more at link)
There were quite a number of men at the gathering who had taken part in the disastrous engagement at Te Ngutu-o-te-Manu ('the beak of the bird') in which Von Tempsky and several other brace officers, as well as many of the rank and file, lost their lives ... more at top links
Excellent music was provided throughout the afternoon. Minifie's Orchestra contributed a programme of martial airs ...
During an interval in the proceedings the whole party adjourned to the lawn, where the Colonial, the Crimean, the China, the Kaffir and the Indian Mutiny veterans were photographed in separate groups. The afternoon was bright and sunshine, the Government House party made the hearts of the veterans glad with the warm welcome extended to them and the hands of the host and hostess were shaken in farewell, the soldiers of the Queen assured their sovereign's representative that Sebastopol Day would remain a red-letter day so long as memory lasted
Of the 200 invitations issued by Lord Ranfurly, 136 were accepted. A number of the guests came into Wellington by last night's and this morning's trains from all parts of the Island - from New Plymouth on the west and Napier on the east coast.
In the list of invitations given here-under, some of the records of the old soldiers have not been obtained and the initials "NZ" after the names mean that the veteran wears the New Zealand medal. There are no less that fifty Crimean veterans on the list, which will be found to include a few names of men who do not wear medals.
The following is the list:-
(my additions will be obvious)
* Samuel ATKINS, Wellington, Sergt 78th Regiment, Persia and the Indian Mutiny medals
* Henry Mount Langton ATCHERLEY (1836-1904), Wellington, 1st Waikatos, NZ. Born 22 Jan 1836, Canterbury Kent, England, died Auckland 11 Nov 1904. A NZ soldier in the 1860s, Henry later took up watercolour painting. From 1877 he exhibited throughout NZ and travelled to Australia. His paintings were usually of Maori subjects, but sometimes of military operations
* Robert ALEXANDER , Kilbirnie, 65th NZ
* Samuel AUSTIN (1828-1903), Wanganui, Sergt 78th, NZ Cross and medal. Born Tandragee, County Armagh, Northern Ireland, died 25 Jan 1903, Wanganui. Enlisted aged 16 with the 65th (2nd North Yorkshire Riding) Regiment of Foot at Banbridge in Aug 1844. His father had also been a career soldier. Trained at the 65th's principal Irish Depot at Mullingar. One year later the regiment was ordered to the Chathams and then as escorts on convict ships to NSW, Australia. He was in a detachment of 35 men sent to Norfolk Island in Dec 1845. In 1846 he was sent with his regiment from Sydney to Wellington to assist quell Maori disturbances in that area. Went to the Maori war with the 78th Regiment, won the Cross three times
* F. APPLEYARD, New Plymouth, Crimea (got his medal in 1866)
(possibly?) Frederick Ernest APPLEYARD (1829-1911). Born 6 June 1829 in Surrey, England. British Army commander, served in numerous Victorian Era military campaigns including the Crimean and the Second Anglo-Afghan wars. He rose to the rank of major-general. But cannot find he came to NZ. More research
* Thomas ADAMSON, Taihape, Wanganui, NZ Cross. Was to General Whitmore what Burnham was to Lord Roberts in South Africa - the eye of the army, the chief of scouts. It is said that no man was under fire so often or saw so many engagements in the Maori wars as Tom. He was under fire 24 times in Taranaki and the Urewera. On his 25th engagement he received four bullets in his body yet brought out the badly wounded. He saw Von Tempsey killed. He avenged the murder of Broughton, the interpreter by lying in wait seven days for, and ultimately capturing, single-handed, the chief who ordered Broughton's death.
* Henry ARDEN, Wellington, MZ medal
* John BRACE, Wellington, 52nd, Mutiny
* W. BUCK, Wellington, Colonial Defence Force, NZ
* E. H. BEERE, Wellington, Engineer Volunteers, NZ
* J. H. BROWN , Wellington, Hawkes Bay Volunteer, NZ
* Edwin BEZAR (1839-1936), Wellington, 57th NZ. At the funeral of Sergeant Sandbrook in July 1933, Edwin wrote ... "Seventy-seven years ago on, the 28th of last May Sergeant Sandbrook and I sailed from the Crimea in the steamship Etna. The whole of the 57th 'Diehards' and two Companies of the 14th Regiment were on board. We reached Constantinople next day, took in coal, and resumed the voyage, reaching Malta on Sunday night, June 1. Three years later a 2nd Battalion was formed to the 14th, and many, members 'of the 1st were transferred to the new battalion, the late Sergeant Sandbrook being one. That battalion came to New Zealand in 1860"
* W. H. BROOKS, Mangaweka, NZ
* James BROWN, Wellington, 18th NZ
* Hon. William Douglas Hall BAILLIE (1827-1922), M.L.C., Hon Capt 24th Regiment, Punjab etc. Born in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. Arrived NZ after 1857, first elected to the Marlborough Provincial Council in 1860. He represented the Wairau electorate. He was the second Superintendent of Marlborough Province (1861-1863) and the longest-serving member of the NZ Legislative Council; 61 years, from 8 March 1861 to his death 24 Feb 1922. He was the second Chairman of Committees of the Legislative Council. From 1890, his vision deteriorated and later was totally blind. His wife would bring him into the Legislative Council chamber and put him into his seat. In Nov 1898, he attended the first reunion of past and present officers in the Imperial Service which took place at Godber's rooms on Cuba street. Captain Baillie died aged 95 at his daughter's residence in Maoribank, Upper Hutt
* Capt BARCLAY, Wellington, 24th Regiment. In Nov 1898, he attended the first reunion of past and present officers in the Imperial Service which took place at Godber's rooms on Cuba street
* G. J. N. BEAMISH, Wellington, Capt late H.M. 14th Foot Regiment, NZ.
22 Oct 1862 The ceremony at Wellington of laying the first stone of the buildings intended for the use of the Supreme Court and Resident magistrate was performed by his Excellency the Governor. A guard of honor, consisting of a company of the 14th Regt., under the command of Capt. Beamish, was drawn up on Lambton-quay.
15 Aug 1867 House Of Representatives PETITIONS - Mr Travers presented a petition from Messrs H. W. S. Beamish and G. J. N. Beamish, of the Chatham Islands, praying that an inquiry may be made into the manner in which the government of those Islands is administered, with a view to the better administration of justice there and the redress of other grievances.
5 July 1889 Dr Newman presented yesterday the petitions of G. J. N. Beamish and William Duffy of Wellington, praying for grants of land for military services
Napier, 9 Dec 1889 Ernest Reginald Beamish, aged 17, only son of Capt Beamish, of the Chatham Islands, was accidentally drowned yesterday while bathing at Koniui, Hawkes Bay.
Nov 1898, he was the President at the first reunion of past and present officers in the Imperial Service which took place at Godber's rooms on Cuba street.
In 1901 he was the senior captain of the Wellington branch of the Veterans' Association
* David BELL, Wellington, 65th NZ
* Charles Thomas BENZONI (1838-1814), Wellington, Army Hospital Corps, China and NZ
* Capt BOWER, Town Clerk, Napier
* Robert BRIGHT, Waverley, 57th Crimea, Turkish, NZ
* Samuel BERRY, Napier, 70th, Crimea
* Thomas BROADFIELD, Hastings, 70th, Crimea, TUrkish, NZ
* Thomas BOSWORTH, New Plymouth, S.D.F., four medals including Crimea
* Major BRASSEY, Wanganui, Crimea, Turkish, NZ
* Charles BROWN, Wellington, 2nd Armed Constabulary, NZ
* A. BURTON, Wellington, Royal Marines, China
* W. BLICK, Wanganui, R.A., Crimea and Sebastapol
* Thomas Freeman BRENCHLEY (1830-), Mauriceville, R.N., South African (1853). Joined the Navy in 1844, became a first-class petty officer on H.M.S. Cator and took his part in chasing slavers. Had the Challenge Lime Kiln, in Mauriceville East (established 1887). Written 1897:- This lime kiln, which is situated close to the railway station, has an output of fifty tons monthly. There is a field of limestone ten chains long by three chains wide, and about 200 feet deep. Mr. Brenchley employs four men. Crushed burnt lime for agricultural purposes and Brenchley's Patent Insecticide are manufactured at the works. Mr. Brenchley is an old man-of-war's man and holds the South African war medal. Thomas married Mrs Mary Ann Legate (1833-1878) in Dunedin in 1870. He married Jessie Hope Russell in 1878 and had 4 children, George Freeman, Harriett Bertha, Thomas Freeman & Henry Freeman Brenchley
* M. CASSHEN, Wellington, 14th, NZ
* R. T. CURTIS, Wellington, 1st Waikatos, NZ
* W. CHRISTIE, Wellington, C.D.F., NZ
* James CAPPER, Wellington, 1st Waikatos, NZ
* George Collyer (1831-1905), Wellington, Crimea. One of the storming party at Sebastopol, passed away at his residence, Wellington on the anniversary of his arrival in NZ, thirty-one years before.
Wairarpa Daily Times, 19 July 1905 The deceased Mr George Collyer, was one of Newtown's early settlers. He was for seventeen years employed at the Government Insurance Office, but retired a little over two years ago. He leaves a widow and family of four.
* Capt CUMMINS, Wanganui, NZ
* Patrick CAREY, Napier, 70th, Mutiny and NZ
* Charles CATTON, Napier, 70th, Mutiny and NZ
* George CLAMPITT (1830-1912), Napier, 19th, Mutiny, Burmah, NZ
* Hon. J. CARROLL, Native Minister, NZ
* James CONNOR, Wanganui, 74th Highlanders, Crimea and Turkish, three clasps
* Edward CLUTTERBUCK, Hawera
* W. CULLEN, Hawera, R.N.
* John De LANEY, Wellington, 57th, India, Crimea, NZ
* Charles DUNFOY (1835-1907), Wellington, 70th, Indian Mutiny, NZ
* John DANDERSON (1833-1917), Ohiro Home, C.D.F., NZ
* Walter DELANEY, Wellington, NZ
* 'Seaman' DAVIS, Makara, R.N., Crimea and China
* Joseph DONOVAN, Wanganui, 57th, Crimea, Turkish, NZ
* William DELANEY, Eketahuna, NZ
* J. DUFFIN (1832-1911), New Plymouth, 57th, Crimea and Turkish
* Sergt. J. DONAGHY, Hunterville
* Fred. De LISLE, Napier
* Selwyn DAVIS, Woolston, Scottish Fusiliers, Crimea
* Sir ARTHUR DOUGLAS, R.N.
* J. O'D. DINGLEY, Inglewood, Sergt 89th, Crimea
* C. DIXON, Masterton, R..N.
* Richard EVANS, Wellington, C.T.C., NZ
* Com. EDWIN, Wellington, R.N., Crimea
* W. G. ENTWHISTLE, Wellington, 24th, India
* Thomas ENNIS, Mangaweka, 18th, NZ
* George ELGA, Wellington, Sergeant, 76th
* John FULTON, Wellington, R.E., Crimea and Turkish
* Captain John FALCONER, Torpedo Corps, Wellington, R.E., long service medal
* Colonel W. FRASER, Wellington
* Joseph FOWLER, Karori, L.T.C., served in Crimea, no medal
* James FARR, Waverley, 57th, Crimea
* T. FURLOING, New Plymouth, Crimea
* William Francis FOGDEN (1828-1909), Wellington, R.N., Kaffir
* Anhtony GREEN, Taitville, 65th, NZ
* Hon Dr Morgan Stanislaus GRACE (1837-1903), M.L.C., Staff Assistant Surgeon, C.M.G., NZ. OBITUARY of Dr Grace, New Zealand Tablet, 23 April 1903 The death of the Hon, Dr, Grace, M.L.C., C.M.G., which occurred at his residence, Wellington, on Sunday morning, was not wholly unexpected, as it had been well known that he had been seriously ill for a considerable time, little hope being entertained for his recovery for some weeks . Nevertheless the enws of the sad event came as a shock to the public not alone for Wellington, but of the whole Colony, for the genial doctor had been so long identified with the public life of New Zealand that his name was held to be synonymous with purity of motives and independence of action ... The late Dr Grace was born in Clonmel, County Tipperary, on February 28, 1837, his father being Mr James Grace, of Sheffield House, Queens County ... He arrived in Auckland in 1860 as surgeon to the 65th Regiment ... He was appointed principal medical officer to the New Zealand forces in 1865 ... In recognition of his services to the Catholic Church, of which he was a devoted member, Dr Grace was, in 1890, mad a Count of the Holy Roman Empire ... For many years he was almost the sole owner of the Wellington Tramways, which he disposed of to the City Council a year or two ago ... He was also a forceful writer, having at one time or another done some good journalistic work ... Had his professional duties permitted, he would have undoubtedly, at one time or another, attained the rank of Minister of the Crown but it is doubtful if he would have been a success, as he was too candid and sincere to please either Government or Oppositoin ... (abridged from link)
* F. B. GROVER, Kilbirnie, Bengal, H.A., India
* P. GARBES, Wellington, Wellington Rifles, NZ
* Michael GILL, Napier, 57th Crimea, Turkish, NZ
* N. GELDING, New Plymouth, Crimea and Mutiny
* Lieut-Colonel GORTON, Bulls, NZ
* A. HOOD, New Plymouth, Crimea
* William HEDGES, Wellington, 55th
* Jesse HUETT/HEWITT, Wellington, 58th, NZ. In Nov 1898, he attended the first reunion of past and present officers in the Imperial Service which took place at Godber's rooms on Cuba street
* J. E. HOPKINS, Mount Cook Barracks, Middlesex, South Africa
* C. HASLAM, Wellington, 3rd Waikatos, NZ
* E. HUTCHINGS, Wellington, C.D.F., NZ
* J. HEARFIELD, Mitchelltown, Forest Rangers, NZ
* G. HALLIWELL, Wellington, 65th, NZ
* J. A. HAMILTON, 1st Waikatos
* Joseph HICKS, Wellington, 19th, Crimean and Turkish
* Richard HINGSTONE, Ohiro Home, C.D.F., entitled to NZ
* Hon Major HARRIS, M.J.C., NZ
* John HALLORAN, Christchurch, 58th Foot, 1st NZ war (1846)
* James HOLBROOK, Wanganui, 57th Foot, Crimea, Turkish, NZ
* J. HANDLEY, Wanganui, NZ
* James HART, New Plymouth, Crimea
* P. HOULAGHAN, New Plymouth, Crimea, Turkish, NZ
* T. R. HACKETT, Wellington, Sergt., Middlesex Regiment, Crimea, Maori war
* Charles JEFFCOTT, Wanganui, 57th, Crimea, Turkish, NZ Wanganui Herald, 24 Oct 1904 CRIMEAN VETERANS TO THE EDITOR. Sir,- I am very sorry to say, sir, that there are only a few old veterans left to take part in the re-union of the soldiers and sailors who served in the Crimean War. Fifty years have passed since those memorable days, and we have never yet had a re-union. A few of the old Diehards have responded, and I am looking forward to having a good time on the 5th of November-Inkerman Day. The few old veterans who have passed both bullets are going to have a dinner and a talk over old times and such memorable events as the charge of the Light Brigade, the Battle of Inkerman; the Storming of Sebastopol, and the hardships of the first winter in the Crimea, when thousands perished for the want of food and clothing, or were frozen to death. Memorable is the charge of the Light and. Heavy Brigades at Balaclava. I was on outlying picquet duty on the River Chernaya, with James McCauley. We gave the alarm that the Cossacks were on us, and when daylight came on the morning of the 25th Sir Colin Campbell, with his Highland Brigade, was waiting for them. We were engaged half an hour before the cavalry came from Lord Raglan. Trusting all the veterans that can possibly come will communicate with me without further delay - I am, etc., CHARLES JEFFCOTT, Late 57th.
* John KIEFFE, Wellington, 7th Foot, Crimea
* Hon. Courtenay William Aylsun Thomas KENNY, (1837-1905) M.L.C., Crimea
* Hon, T. KELLY, M.L.C., NZ
* Hoani KAIHI, Mount Cook Barracks, Bombardier Permanent Militia, NZ
* Arthur KINCAIDE, Wanganui, 68th, Crimea, Turkish, NZ
* James KEILY, Napier, 57th, Crimea, Turkish
* Usher LUCAS, Wellington, R.E., (A.P.), 2nd Quartermaster-Sergeant, long service
* W. LINGARD, Wellington, C.D.F., NZ, Cross and Medal
* M. LANDERS, Wellington, 57th, NZ
* LUDLAM, Wellington, 11th Foot, NZ
* R. LUNN, Wellington, 14th Foot, NZ
* J. LOVE, Wellington, Bengal Fusiliers, India Medal, Delhibar
* James LAWTON[/color], Wellington, NZ
* Major LIDDLE[/color], Feilding, Crimea, three medals
* J. LAMBERT[/color], Inglewood, 44th, Crimea
* J. MURRAY, Hutt, NZ
* E. McKENNA, Wanganui, Ensign, 65th, V.C.
* Robert MOWATT, Wellington, R.A., Sergeatn-Major, Crimea and Turkish
* J. M. MAY, Wellington, Wanganui Rifles, NZ
* J. C. MOGINE, Hutt, Auckland Rifles, NZ
* T. MACAULEY, Wellington, NZ
* C. McINTYRE, Wellington, Taranaki Militia, NZ
* Charles MILLWOOD, Wellington, Land Transport Corps, Crimea, Turkish
* Lieut-Col, Mc..GER, Wellington, NZ
* William McNIVEN, Wanganui, 57th, Crimea, Turkish, NZ
* Timothy McCARTHY, Inglewood, Sergeant, 18th, 1st China, 1st Burmah and Crimea
* F. McGRUER, M.H.R., Hawera, NZ
* Capt Arthur McKELLAR-WIX (1846-1918), Wellington, 5th Fusiliers, Africa. He married Emma Dodson (1850-1915) in Nelson, he played first-class cricket for, and was Vice President & coach of, the cricket club in Nelson, his children were born there. In Nov 1898, he was the Vice President at the first reunion of past and present officers in the Imperial Service which took place at Godber's rooms on Cuba street, Wellington. Arthur and his family later moved back to England. In the 1911 census Ashleigh, Ringers Road, High Street, Bromley, Kent. Head Arthur McKellar Wix, age 64, late Army Officer, born Balham, Surrey. Wife Emma Wix, age 61, married 38 years, 9 children born alive, 5 still living, born Nova Scotia. Daughter Kathleen Isabel Wix, age 27, single, born New Zealand. Son Gordon Farleton Wix, age 26, single, no occupation, born New Zealand. 1 servant. Arthur died in Egham Surrey, 26 March 1918 aged 71
* Alex McNEIL, Aramoho, Lieut. East India Company Mutiny, Delhi, Lucknow
* Charles MONAHAM, Wellington, late 40th NZ
* ... MOORE, New Plymouth, 57th, Crimea, Turkish, NZ
* R. M. MILLER, Napier, 23rd Abyssinian
* George NASH, Wellington, Sergeant 12th Foot, Crimea, Turkish, NZ
* M. O'CONNOR, Wellington, 57th, NZ
* John OWENS, Napier, 70th, Mutiny and NZ
* .. O'DONNELL, New Plymouth, 55th, Crimea, Turkish, two bars and cross
* Major OWEN
* R. PEGLEY, Wellington, A.C. Force, NZ
* J. G. PRICE, Hutt, 1st Waikatos, NZ
* Coleman PHILIPS, Featherston, 2nd Waikatos, NZ
* George PURDY, Wellington, Taranaki Militia, NZ
* G. A. PREECE, Palmerston North, Capt. A. C. Forse, NZ Cross and Medal
* Col. PATONE, R.E.
* Inspector Peter PENDER, Wellington, Crimea
* .. PRICE, Wellington, Royal Marines, Ashanti. In Nov 1898, he attended the first reunion of past and present officers in the Imperial Service which took place at Godber's rooms on Cuba street
* Lieut-Col PORTER, Wellington, NZ
* .. PYCROFT, New Plymouth, R.N., Crimea
* John QUIGLEY, Eketahuna, 87th, Indian Mutiny
* J. J. RUSSELL, Hutt, 18th Foot, NZ
* J. ROBINSON, Wellington, NZ
* Captain RUSSELL, M.H.R., 14th Regiment
* A. E. ROWDEN, Wellington, R.N., Crimea and Turkish
* M. REDMOND, Wanganui, 57th, Crimea and Turkish
* S. RYAN, Wanganui, 57th, Crimea, Turkish, NZ
* Patrick READY, Meanee, 43rd Mutiny and NZ
* Denis REARDON, Wellington, 65th, NZ
* W. J. RAVEN, Wellington, Forest Rangers, NZ
* F. STEVENS, Wellington, Taranaki Volunteers, NZ
* J. STEVENS, M.H.R., Bulls, NZ
* A. C. F. STIDOLPH, Wellington, A.C. Force, NZ
* James SANDBROOK (1834-1933), Wellington, Sergt, 14th Crimea, Turkish, NZ. Evening Post, 6 July 1933 MILITARY FUNERAL ... After the Crimean War, Mr Sandbrook was stationed at Malta and at Gibraltar and he married in Ireland before coming to Australia and later to New Zealand, where he arrived in September 1860. He joined the Armed Constabulary and during the later Maori Wars travelled much about the country on the staff of Sir Donald McLean, Native Minister. He obtained his discharge in 1870 and was in the service of successive politicians at Parliament House, Wellington, until his retirement over twenty years ago. Mr. Sandbrook was an excellent rifle shot in his prime, and served as an assistant musketry instructor. He was among the oldest Foresters in New Zealand, having first joined a lodge of that body in Wellington in 1870. He was presented to the Prince of Wales and the Duke and Duchess of York on the occasion of their visits to New Zealand. For a time he was president of the Veterans' Association in Wellington. He was a very well-known figure in Wellington during his long residence here ... (more at link)
* Cornelius SHEEHAN, Wellington, 57th, NZ
* M. SHEEHY, Wellington, Quarter-Master Sergt., Army Service Corps, Crimean and Turkish
* J. SHANAGHAN, Wellington, NZ
* J. STARK, Wellington, Wellington Rifles, NZ
* A. STOTT, Wellington, 57th, NZ
* William STANYON, Wellington, Royal Marines, South Africa, Egypt, Kheldive's Star
* Right Honourable Richard John SEDDON (1845-1906), the British-born New Zealand statesman who served as the 15th Premier (Prime Minister) of NZ from 1893 until his death in office in 1906.
* W. H. SKINNER, Wellington, Crimea and NZ
* Patrick SHERIDAN, Wellington, 14th Foot, N.Z.
* C. STACEY, Dreyerton, 65th
* Frederick SILVER (1850-1925), Wellington, Sergt. Permanent Militia, Ashanti and NZ
* Henry 'Harry' STEEVENS (1834-1915), Taradale, 70th, Crimea and Turkish
* Hon. W. C. SMITH, M.L.C., NZ
* H. SMITH, Wellington, 12th Lancers, Crimea, Turkish, Central India
* J. W. STRUDWICK, Masterton, C.R.D.G., Mutiny. Attended the meeting of the General Committee of the Edward VII Coronation Celebrations, held in the Masterton Borough Council Chambers in Masterton 27 Nov 1902. The Mayor, Philip Hollings, presided and the discussion was the building of the Band Rotunda in the Masterton Park. Mr Hollings explained that if the work could be completed by the end of January, or at any rate, before the North Island Brass Band Contest in Feb 1903 (not completed until June 1903, contest was held at the showgrounds). He also mentioned that the base of the rotunda would be straight and steps only to be erected at the entrance, it being found that steps right around the base would be too costly
* Edward Robert TREGEAR (1846-1931), Wellington, Native Contingent, NZ
* R. TINGEY, Wellington, Wanganui Rifles, NZ
* A. C. TURNER, Wellington, 1st Waikatos, NZ
* J. TURNER, Wellington, 50th, NZ
* Hon TOMOANA (1820s/30s-1904), M.L.C., NZ. He was probably born in the Heretaunga Plains, near present day Hastings. He was the third son of Te Rotohenga (also called Winipere) from her second marriage to Hira Te Ota. Through his mother's first marriage, Tomoana was a younger half-brother of Karaitiana Takamoana and Te Meihana Takihi. His whakapapa links him to Ngāti Hawea as his principal hapu, however he was also connected to Ngāti Hinetahu, Ngāti Te Rehunga, and Ngāti Hori ... In 1866, he and other Māori leaders joined forces with the Hawke's Bay Division of the Colonial Defence Force to repel an attack by the Pai Mārire at the Battle of Ōmarunui. Then in 1868 he took command of a contingent of Māori troops from the Heretaunga-Tamatea region and supported the government's pursuit of Te Kooti up the Ruakituri River toward Wairoa. In Dec 1868 he fought at the Battle of Makaretu, helping to repel Te Kooti's incursion into the Poverty Bay area. In 1869, he again led troops in pursuit of Te Kooti, who was now being pursued in the area around Taupō ... For his campaigns against Te Kooti, Tomoana (who had been commissioned as a captain of militia) received a sword of honour
* Capt Thomas Errington TANNER (1868-1951), late of Fifth Contingent in South Africa, Matabele. Served with the No 13 Company (Wellington, Nelson and West Coast, South Island sections). One of 10 children of Thomas Tanner (1830-1918) & Julia Denton from Wiltshire who arrived in NZ 1849, taking up a large run 'Milbourne', on the Ruataniwha Plains, Hawkes Bay. Capt Tanner was attacked with dysentery and fever at Beira and was invalided home on the 'Gothic' in Aug - a month before he attended this event. There was a party given by a large number of members of both branches of the Legislature, held at Ballamy's, Wellington, to meet the invalided members of the Contingent. Capt Tanner, in replying for the party, referred to the enthusiasm with which they had been received and said he did not know what more the people could have done if they had brought Kruger back with them. As for himself, he felt like an imposter, for he had been invalided at Beira, while the others of the party have been in the fighting ranks. He is named on the South African War Memorial at Napier
* Thomas URWIN, Wellington, R.N., Baltic
* Kieran WHELAN (1832-1908), Wellington, Sergt 14th, NZ
* J. WALDEN, Wellington, NZ
* J. WILSON, Wellington, Corpl., 14th, NZ
* General Sir George WHITMORE, M.L.C., Staff, K.C.M.G., Crimea, Cape, NZ., etc
* Sergt WEBBE, Wellingotn, P.M., NZ
* Henry WALTON, Waikanae, R.N., Baltic and Crimea
* Joseph WRIGHT, Wanganui
* Capt. WEBSTER, New Plymouth, Crimea
* Hon. J. G. WARD
* J. P. WARD, Blenheim, Forest Rangers
* Frank WATSON, Blenheim, Forest Rangers
* .. WOODS, Masterton 19th
* Capt Arthur McKellar WIX (1846-1918), Wellington, 5th Fusiliers, Africa. - see McKELLAR-WIX above
there were also representatives of ...
6th Dragoons, 5th & 7th Foot, 11th, 12th, 14th, 18th, 19th, 24th, 33rd, 40th, 43rd, 44th, 46th, 50th, 53rd, 55th, 68th, 74th, 76th and 89th, 12th Lancers, 78th Regiment. The Royal Engineers had four representatives, the Navy seven, the 14th Regiment eight, the 18th three and the 'good old Diehards" (the 57th) made the champion muster with nos less than twenty
Towns or Districts the soldiers lived 1900
Blenheim 2, Bulls 2, Christchurch 2, Dreyerton 1, Eketahuna 2, Featherston 1, Feilding 1, Hawera 3, Hunterville 1, Hutt 4, Inglewood 3, Karori 1, Kilbirnie 2, Makara 1, Mangaweka 2, Masterton 3, Mauriceville 1, Mitcheltown 1, Napier 12, New Plymouth 12, Taihape 1, Taitville (Mitcheltown, Wellington) 1, Taradale 1, Waikanae 1, Wanganui 18, Waverley 2, Wellington 87, Woolston 1
OLD WELLINGTON REGION is a community site that features many thousands of wonderful old photos of the Wellington Region. The region covers all of Wellington and the Hutt Valley, all Wairarapa up to Mount Bruce and includes the east coast, Castlepoint, Riversdale etc. Also all the Kapiti Coast from Otaki down to Wellington
Being a community page it encourages you to partake, adding comments, submitting queries and photos and generally getting involved. If you have ancestors who settled in any of these areas I highly recommend you join by simply clicking 'like'
I will be submitting some of my journals there to get further coverage
Hopefully this will help any of you who have queries on my posts
OLD WELLINGTON REGION
A Page where we can look back through the curtains of time to see a visual account of the earliest foundations of the place we call "Home"
Olga Esther ERICKSEN
- was born in 1894 to Ole & Severine Amelia ERICKSEN
- her parents owned a general merchants store in Norswewood. Mr Ericksen had represented Norsewood on all important organisations for the benefit of his fellow settlers. For his unfailing and untiring efforts he earned and was called "Father of Norsewood"
- taken from the site NORSEWOOD--ORMANDWILLE .. Silver Jubilee was held on Sept 24th 1897 to celebrate the arrival of first immigrants on Sept 24 1872, Mr Wiig the Norwegian Consul gave a short history of the Norwegian flag. He then handed it to Mr. Ole Ericksen to be held in trust for the settlers of Norsewood ..
- Olga married Eglinton Krew HAMES (1895-1953) in 1917
- she died on the 9th September 1929 aged 35
- she is buried in PLOT 5 - BLOCK 3, Section: Main at Norsewood
- the HEADSTONE reads: Olga beloved wife of Eglinton HAMES called away 9 August 1929 aged 53 years, a loving wife and mother, at rest
Family tree sites on the web are a wonderfully valuable resource for those of us who are searching and researching our ancestors. The astonishment of coming across someone else who has done all the hard work in finding and documenting the same ancestor you have been looking for for years is, at times, pure joy
Some sites are 'locked' for privacy reasons but others are open for all to see and read and learn from
If the webmasters of these sites give freely of their time and information we need to treat this with the respect that is due
Any information obtained from any family trees needs to be gratefully acknowledged and, at the very LEAST, linked back to so everyone can view the tree in its entirety as originally intended, anything less (eg, scoure of John Smith family tree) is an insult and borders on Plagiarism
the following names were taken from the family tree site of Gil Gurney:
Gurney Whanau of Aotearoa New Zealand who writes:
... Our Maori connections come to us thru our great great great grandmother, Haerehau Hinepounamu NGAROPI, who came from the Ngati Ruanui Iwi of the Taranaki area and their Hapu (sub tribes) of,
Ngati Tanewai and Ngati Tupaea. Thru her marriage to Mukai Te PAENGA of the Arawa Iwi, we get his Hapu of Ngati Rangiwewehi and Ngati Tapuika of the greater Waikato/Rotorua areas
So we are, Taranaki and Arawa, and by capture we are Ngapuhi, which is a story in itself
Their daughter, our great great grandmother, Iritana Te Mukai Paenga, married ex British soldier, Oliver Edward SHELFORD, while Iritana's cousin, Roka Mataura (whose ancestry begins with the great Maori navigator, Turi) married the whaler, William ROBINSON (with photo of the Robinson whanau)
Iritana and Oliver's daughter, Maraea, married Roka and Williams son, James, who in turn gave us our Grandmother, Jane Robinson (Jane was the 1st of 13 children)
There appears to be no positive proof, but most of us believe that Iritana and Roka were either sisters or cousins, they were at the very least of the same Iwi (Maori tribe) living in the Taranaki area.
Older Genealogists of the Shelford/Robinson connection, tell us that the girls were part of a large group that were captured (as above) by the pillaging and plundering Ngapuhi people (as they were
want to do on the odd occassion!) from the Hokianga Northland area, and taken back to live in that tribes northern lands, at the time the girls were approx 14yrs of age ...
As at 22 Dec 2010 there are 49 SHELFORD on Gil's family tree:
1. Shelford, Celia, 1894 (b.1894)
- names connected: REPIA, NORDSTRAND, JACOMB,
2. Shelford, Charles (b.1918)
- born in Te Kaha, Bay of Plenty on 22 August 1921. He was the son of Tame Shelford and Te Owaina Kirikiri Puihi of Tikitiki. Raised by Atareta and Paratene of Tikitiki
- a great and often noted member of the Maori Battlion (WW11)
- Iwi: Ngati Porou, Nga Puhi, Te Arawa, Te Whakatohea
- also known as 'Charlie' served as Private #39159 with the 28 (Maori) Battalion, D Company
- his Military Awards were:
& Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM)
* 1939-45 Star
* Africa Star (8th Army clasp)
* Italy Star
* Defence Medal
* War Medal 1939-1945
* New Zealand War Service Medal
- he married Lilas May BEAZLEY in 1948 in Auckland
- Charlie was Killed as a pedestrian in a hit and run road accident on 7 May 1984 in Manukau Road, Epsom, Auckland,aged 62. He is buried in Mangere Public Cemetery, Auckland
- a biography for Charlie on Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand
3. Shelford, Charlotte, 1892 (b.1892)
- names connected: NEILSON, HENDERSON,
4. Shelford, David, 1873 (b.1873)
- born in Rawhia, Hokianga
5. Shelford, Edward, 1790 (b.1790)
- married Susan BROOKES, parents of Oliver Edward Shelford
- however, please read this on RootsChat Forum Edward Shelford saying that Edward married Elizabeth HOWE and emigrated to Australia with 5 children (Oliver then aged 8)
6. Shelford, Edward, 1826 (b.1826)
- a brother of Oliver
7. Shelford, Edward (Ned), 1865 (b.1865)
- some names connected: MATENGA,WINIATA,MERETENE,PEPENE,
8. Shelford, Ellen, 1901 (b.1901)
- names connected: KINGI,HENARE,KUKU,HAPETA,ANIHANA,
9. Shelford, George
- George 'Eruera' married Emi Arena Te AWA in 1924
10. Shelford, Haami
- names connected: NEHUA,
11. Shelford, Hone
- names connected: HUNIA, BIDOIS,
12. Shelford, Jacob (???? - 1964)
- born in 1927, married Bessie DAYMOND
13. Shelford, James
- son of Thomas Shelford & Miria Hone HAU
14. Shelford, Jane, 1836 (b.1836)
- daughter of Edward Shelford & Susan Brookes
15. Shelford, Janie
- married Mahi ALLEN
16. Shelford, Katarina
- daughter of Thomas Shelford & Miria Hone HAU
17. Shelford, Lucy, 1833 (b.1833)
- daughter of Edward Shelford & Susan Brookes
18. Shelford, Manga Ivy, 1887 (b.1887)
- daughter of Edward 'Ned' Shelford & Caroline MATENGA
19. Shelford, Maraea (Maria), 1868 (1865 - 1947)
- Maraea was born on 10 Feb 1865 in waihou, Hokianga
- from the Ngaruahine subtribe. Her photo is at that link. She married James ROBINSON & Te Rata HEREWAKA. Some of the names of her (14) childrens spouces: MURLAND, KATENE, OGLE, PARKES, BENNETT, WILSON,
- she died on 16 Aug 1948 in Manaia, Waimate West aged 83
20. Shelford, Mate, 1906 (b.1906)
- married John Bowman YATES. She died in 1982 aged 75
21. Shelford, Mere
- names connected: NGAPERA, JOYCE,
22. Shelford, Mereana (Mary Ann), 1866 (b.1866)
- a daughter of hers Mereaira Mapi is described as ... known to all as Aunty Eily - Aunty was the first genealogist in "the family" dedicated to the gathering of all things Shelford and Robinson - along with her second husband John Portanger they collected and recorded all of our connections ...
- some of the names connected with Mereana: MAPI,HARE,WIPERI,TIATOA,TIWINI,ERUERA,OTENE,YORKE,HONEHAU,PORTANGER,Te WHATA,
23. Shelford, Mukai
- nothing known (maybe you could help)
24. Shelford, Ned
- married Alma Phoebe BIRCH (1911-1994)
25. Shelford, Oliver Edward, 1833 (1833 - 1906)
- Oliver was born on 6 Jan 1837 in Great Chesterford, Essex
- he died on 22 April 1906 in Rawene, Hokianga aged 69
- he 'married' Iritana Te PAENGA in Waima, Hokianga South, although no marriage record has ever been found. Oliver was her 3d 'husband. Read the story under Iritana and those of their children and their children's children
- some of the names connected with Oliver & Iritana: NUI, RUSSELL, INIATA, BAKER, HEREWAKA, HAU, FALWASSER, HADDON, TUTARI, OLUFSEN, RAPANA, WHITTAKER, WILLIAMS,
- Olive Edward Shelford apparently arrived in NZ in 1859 on the "EGMONT" with William Robinson with the 58th Regiment of Foot
26. Shelford, Peter
- married Pou, Te Aurere
27. Shelford, Pita (Peter Te Hei Hei), 1874 (1874 - 1926)
- married Ani PAIKARAHE & Ramari TUKARIRI
- some names connected: ALLEN, JOYCE, DAY, ANIHANA, KINGI,HENARE, KUKU, HAPETA, HEEMI,JOBE, NEHUA,
28. Shelford, Puti, 1914 (b.1914)
- names connected: HEEMI, CULHAN,
29. Shelford, Rawinia Tamoe, 1924 (1924 - 1993)
- married Manapouri Langley SHAW
30. Shelford, Reremoana
- names connected; TAYLOR
31. Shelford, Reubin
- nothing known (maybe you could help)
32. Shelford, Rihi
- married Henare KINGI
33. Shelford, Rihirora (Elizabeth), 1877 (1877 - 1901)
- married John William BAILDON
34. Shelford, Rita, 1870 (1870 - 1912)
- born in 1898 to Wiremu Shelford & Catherine BAKER, Rita died on New Years Eve 1912 aged 14
35. Shelford, Roma
- married William JOBE
36. Shelford, Susan, 1831 (b.1831)
- daughter of Edward b.1790 (see above)
37. Shelford, Susan Kare (Huihana) Haerehau, 1875 (1875 - 1932)
- married Robert HADDON in 1896
38. Shelford, Te Hiwi, 1885 (b.1885)
- names connected: MERETENE
39. Shelford, Te Omiraka
- married John MYERS
40. Shelford, Thomas, 1918 (1918 - 1920)
- son of Pita Shelford & Ani Paikaraihe
41. Shelford, Thomas Tame, 1867 (b.1867)
- names connected: PUIHI, HAU
42. Shelford, Waiapurukamu
- nothing known (maybe you could help)
43. Shelford, Waikeria
- 1 of at least 14 siblings of Waiapurukamu above
44. Shelford, Whare
- 1 of at least 14 siblings of Waiapurukamu above
45. Shelford, William, 1840 (b.1840)
- son of Edward Shelford & Susan Brookes
46. Shelford, William, 1890 (b.1890)
- married Rangi Topenga PEPENE in 1914
47. Shelford, William Edward, 1899 (1899 - 1905)
- son of William Shelford & Catherine Baker, William died aged 5 in Rawhia, Rangiahua
48. Shelford, William (Wiremu) Paratene, 1871 (1871 - 1900)
- Wiiliam was born 24 MAY 1873 in Waihou, Hokianga ti Oliver & Iritana
- he married Catherine BAKER in 1895
- a daughter of John BAKER (1834-1859) & Maria BOWYER (1836-1909)
49. Shelford, Witana, 1901 (b.1901)
- married Daisy DAY in 1928
- there are also many wonderful stories and old photos that accompany those names, a real treasure chest of info for anyone researching the Shelford name and its many branches.
I wrote this journal to honour all their hard work and to give them the credit due in making their tree because I understand all the long hours of research that it entails
Please pay a visit to all the above links at Gil's tree if you are researching SHELFORD (and over 5000 relatives) - they made this family tree for your enjoyment and knowledge
Other websites and/or forums that are researching Oliver Edward Shelford and New Zealand descendants are:
the Whakapapa Club
At GenForum - Edward Oliver Shelford NZ
At RootsChat - Shelford
Oliver Edward Shelford ia on the - HIKU family tree
mentioned on - Te REO August 2004
a famous Shelford was WAYNE THOMAS 'Buck' SHELFORD a former rugby union footballer and coach who represented and captained the All Blacks in the late 1980s. He is also credited with bringing about the improved performance of the All Blacks traditional "Ka Mate" haka
In April 2010 Charlum10 wrote this journal on this site; The Hori (George) & Amy Shelford Whanau of NZ
And again in April 2010 Charlum10 requested info Looking for SHELFORD of Pakotai NZ
... (despiste what he wrote on 22-11-2010: .. "I might be wrong but I think that if one finds something from anywhere, you can rearrange (!!) it into a journal. I think that is acceptable. Copying & pasting is a No! No! I apologize to whom it may concern. We learn from our mistakes") ... the following were copied from Gil Guerney's tree in Dec 2010:
MATARAU - ROKA - ( LATE OF HOKIANGA ) NORTHLAND .NZ -1832
SHELFORD - OLIVER -EDWARD - HOKIANGA - NORTHLAND-NZ - 1833
SHELFORD - THOMAS -TAME - WAIHOU - NORTHLAND -NZ -1867
SHELFORD - EDWARD - HOKIANGA - NORTHLAND -NZ - 1790
PAIKARAIHE-ANI- ( SHELFORD ) HOKIANGA- NORTHLAND -NZ-1886
SHELFORD - PITA - ( PETER - TE HEI HEI ) HOKIANGA - NZ - 1874----- 1926
HANSEN - OLE - CHRISTIAN -- HOKI ANGA -NZ - 1882 ---- 1943
PUIHI - TE O WAINA- KIRIKIRI - ( SHELFORD ) -.NZ - 1868
ROBINSON - WILLIAM - HOKIANGA - NZ- 1828 -- 1881
OPENING OF ROE'S DENBIGH HOTEL, Feilding - 12 May 1876
On the last Court day held at Palmerston North a license was granted to our friend Mr G. F. Roe (1859-1944, son of Charles Roe & Cecilia Sarah Carter) for his magnificent Hotel, the Denbigh, at Feilding. The hotel presents an imposing elevation, having a noble balcony over the verandah on the hall-door side towards Manchester Street, and a grand facade on the side facing Fergusson Street. One great improvement effected by Mr Roe in hotel architecture is, that the bar is entirely separate from the hotel proper, so that the guests are free from the usual noise attendant on such places of resort. The Commercial and smoking rooms are large in area, lofty, and well ventilated, the lower story being 12 feet in height. The private sitting-rooms are good, the dining sitting-rooms are good, the dining saloon quite a banqueting hall, and the bar is one of the best fitted we have seen for some time. The bed-chambers are very numerous, well ventilated, and furnished in the best style. The entrance hall and that leading to the staircase are what we would wish to see imitated, eight feet in width. The building was designed by Mr G. F. Roe, and erected under his immediate superintendence.
The Denbigh Hotel was opened on the evening of Friday, the 12th instant, with a ball and supper, at which the elite of Feilding were present, and enjoyed themselves to their heart's content until daybreak on Saturday warned the gentlemen that the stern business of life was about to be resumed. Not content with the ball alone, Mr Roe again invited his gentlemen friends to a dinner on the evening of Wednesday, 24th May, to which a numerous company responded and certainly it was worthy of the Denbigh.
Mr A. F. Halcombe presided, having Mr G. F. Roe on his right and Dr Johnston on his left hand.
After the cloth had been removed the Chairman gave "The Queen," which was, as usual, loyally received. Mr McArthur, the V.C., proposed "The Prince of Wales and the rest of the Royal Family" which was duly honored. Mr Gillett then sung "The Fine Ould Irish Gentleman."
Mr Maysmore gave "The Health of His Excellency the Governor," which toast was well received with musical honors.
* Song by T. Slade, "The Village Blacksmith."
Mr E. H. Wright, C.E., proposed "The land we live in."
* Song by Mr Corrigan of the Wanganui Herald, "Lannigan's Ball."
Mr Halcombe on rising said he was happy to again ask for bumpers in which to drink the health of his worthy friend Mr Roe and success to the Denbigh Hotel, as he could assure the company that under the proprietorship of Mr Roe the Hotel in which then were enjoying themselves so happily, would be conducted in such a manner that it would be a Hotel in reality and not what he regretted to say many hotels in this Colony were mere grog shops. Of Mr Roe, he could not speak in too flattering a manner, the more so as he was the first man who had assisted him in the Feilding settlement. Mr Roe place his workmen and materials on the ground and built the first houses occupied by the immigrants in Feilding; and prior to that , he had erected the spacious depot at Palmerston. He then erected the late Accommodation house, which had been a great boon to the public, and he (Mr Halcombe) regretted that the Denbigh Hotel was not built in the first instance. Mr Roe also built one of the first shops in Feilding, which he carried on for eighteen months. The toast was drunk with "He's a joy good fellow."
* Song by Messrs Slade and Lockwood "The Starboard Watch."
Mr G. F. Roe then rose and said: My Halcombe and gentlemen, let me offer you my best thanks, first for the honor you have done me in coming here this evening, and next for the warm manner in which you have received my health. It is the more gratifying to my feelings, after the many difficulties I have had to overcome before the Denbigh Hotel was opened. Now, however, that it has passed your scrutiny, I take your cheers as your approval. Nothing remains for me, or my brother, who is to be my successor, but by strict attention to the wants of our guests to merit a continuation of their patronage.
* Song by Harold Pearce, "The Watch on the Rhine."
"The Ladies" was proposed by Mr Wade in an appropriate speech.
* Song by Mr Lindsay Caldwell, "The Minute Gun at Sea."
"The Press" was next proposed by the Chairman, to which Mr E. H. Wright, of the Wanganui Herald, responded, and returned thanks on the part of Mr Corrigan and himself.
* Song by Mr Wright, "Are we fairly represented."
* Song by Mr Lash, "Old Simon the Cellerer."
Mr Gillett favored the company with a recitation from the play of Julius Caesar, which called forth loud applause. Mr McArthur and Dr Johnson sang some Scotch sons, and the company separated at midnight, after a very delightful evening
SHORT TIMELINE of the DENBIGH
(main purpose is to list owners / proprietors)
Feilding Star, 1 June 1886 - LICENSE TRANSFER
A transfer was granted from Chas. Roe to W. Watts, of the Denbigh hotel
Wanganui Herald, 4 June 1886 - NEW OWNER
The Denbigh Hotel, Feilding, has changed hands, Mr William Light, the well-known publican, of Wellington, being the purchaser. Mr Henry Axup was valuator for the new proprietor and Mr Anderson represented Mr W. T. Watts, the present occupant
Feilding Star, 4 Dec 1886 - Mr WATTS
The transfer of the license of the Manawatu Gorge Hotel was granted from Mr Lowes to Mr W. T. Watts, late of the Denbigh Hotel, Feilding
Feilding Star, 4 June 1887 - LICENSE RENEWAL
A new license was granted to Mr Light of the Denbigh Hotel
Feilding Star, 4 June 1889 - LICENSE RENEWAL
William Light, Denbigh Hotel, Mr Sandilands, solicitor, applied for renewal - Granted
Feilding Star, 10 Dec 1891 - BEST IN THE COLONY
The Denbigh Hotel is one of the best conducted in the colony, and the reputation of the popular proprietor, Mr William Light, as a host is so well known that no comment on that point is needed. As a buyer of wine Mr light excels, there being few better judges in the colony, therefore whatever he vends is sure to be the best in the market. In our advertising columns Mr Light invites his old friends, whether as visitors from other parts or local residents, to come and see him during the Christmas holidays to exchange Christmas greetings
Manawatu Herald, 18 April 1893 - STRANGE LAWS
To all persons engaged in the selling of spirituous liquor we call attention to the case heard before Mr Brabant of Thursday. The facts are simply these. In January the Foxton Racing Club sold the right to sell spirituous liquors in the Grand Stand Booth for their meeting on the 23rd of January to Mr Light, hotel keeper of Feilding. Mr Light permitted Mr Joseph Smith to act as his representative, though it appears he was on the ground himself. On the Grand Stand the bar is at the back of the building and displayed along it was the legend, in very large letter "Denligh hotel" and in small letters over the above "W. Light." That was all that was on the banner that had floated for many a year over booths on race-courses/ By evidence it will be seen that the name "W. Light" was not conspicuous owing to its having been doubled up in the fixing. The complaint urged against Mr Light fixed on his (temporary) premises with the addition after the name of the word "licensed" and of words sufficient to express the business for which his license has been granted. As it was evident that these words were wanting his Worship fined Mr Light five shilling and cost, though the maximum fine for a first offence is £5.
It was not made clear in Court why the action was taken and we do not care to seek why accepting that it was done in the exercise of duty. As the law stand, it appears to be lawful for any publican to practically lend his license to another person to trade with, provided he is prepared to accept all the commissions and omissions of his representative. Whether it is quite fair to the local publicans is another matter. To all who run booths at racecourses and elsewhere we earnestly recommend a study of clause 123 of The Licensing Act 1881 and to be quite sure that the name of the owner is in letters of sufficient size and that the sign contains the word "licensed" as well as words sufficient to express the business for which his license has been granted and that such sign is place on the front of the building in which such business is carried on
Feilding Star, 6 June 1894 - LICENSE RENEWAL
All the applications, which were for renewals or transfers for old houses, were granted, namely:
W. A. Floyd, Royal Hotel, Ohingaiti
P. McIlroy, Pelberton Hotel, Rangiwahia
J. Curran, Club Hotel, Ohingaiti
D. Sullivan, Hunterville Hotel, Hunterville
W. Meehan, Commercial Hotel, Ohingaiti
T. Lowes, Family and Commercial Hotel, Birmingham
T. Ryan, Cheltenham Hotel, Cheltenham
J. Mitchell, Argyle Hotel, Hunterville
Mrs Mary Tuck, Halcombe Hotel
Wm Light, Denbigh Hotel, Feilding
Mrs Martha Hastie, Feilding Hotel
H. Bastings, Manchester Hotel, Feilding
Mrs Maria Oliver, Empire Hotel, Feilding
J. Coyle, Clifton Hotel, Bulls
J. O'Halloran, Rangitikei Hotel, Bulls
S. Gibbons, White Hart Hotel, Marton
J. Mayo, Club Hotel, Bulls
R. Hunt, Marton Hotel
E. South, Railway Hotel, Marton
Feilding Star, 23 Nov 1894 - NEW ROOM
Mr Light of the Denbigh Hotel, has just had erected by Mr Fred Pope, the well-known builder, a large and commodious sample room, well supplied with suitable shelving and other necessary appurtenances. The building is 30ft 10in x 19ft and has been completed in a thoroughly workmanlike manner
Feilding Star, 11 June 1896 - LICENSE RENEWAL
Mr W. Light, Denbigh Hotel, Feilding, Mr Cathro for applicant - application granted
Feilding Star, 3 June 1897 - LICENSE RENEWAL
Wm. Light applied for a renewal of license for the Denbigh Hotel, Fielding. Mr Sandilands for applicant - granted
Feilding Star, 11 Feb 1899 - NEW PROPRIETOR
Mr W. T. Hook took possession of the Denbigh Hotel yesterday. Mr W. Evensen (of Cheltenham) acted as valuator of the stock and furniture on behalf of Mr Light and Mr J. R. Montague acted in a similar capacity for Mr Hook
Feilding Star, 6 June 1899 - Mr HOOK
In our advertising columns to-day Mr W. T. Hook, who recently took over the popular Denbigh Hotel, notifies that he is determined to maintain the reputation of that well-known commercial hostelry. First-class accommodation with the necessary facilities for comfort is provided, while the wines, ales and spirits kept in stock are of the choicest brands
Feilding Star, 17 July 1899 - NEW SAMPLE ROOM
Mr W. Hook, of the Denbigh Hotel invites tenders for the erection of sample rooms
Feilding Star, 1 Aug 1899 - NEW DRINK
Beef tea may be obtained at the Denbigh Hotel at hours advertised in wanted column
Feilding Star, 18 Jan 1900 - Mr LIGHT
Mr William Light, formerly of the Denbigh Hotel, Feilding, has taken the Provincial Hotel, Wanganui
Manawatu Standard, 3 Aug 1900 - STABLES
Tenders are invited by the architect, Mr L. G. West, for alterations and additions to the stables at the Denbigh Hotel
Feilding Star, 22 July 1901OBITUARY of CHARLES ROE
Feilding Star, 27 March 1902 - SEPTIC TANK
Mr Hook, of the Denbigh Hotel, has put an up to date septic tank in the rear of his premises
Feilding Star, 10 April 1902 - NEW PROPRIETOR
The proprietor of the Denbigh Hotel, Mr Hook, has leased the property to Mr P. Meehan, formerly of Wanganui, Ohingaiti and Bulls, for a term of years. Mr Meehan has an excellent record and will make an able successor to Mr Hook. Mr Meehan will take [possession on May 8th
Wanganui Herald, 18 Dec 1902 - IN COURT
The case in which William T. Hood sued William Meehan, to compel him to complete his purchase of the Denbigh Hotel, Marton, was mentioned before the Chief Justice at Wellington on Tuesday. After a short adjournment, it was intimated that the case had been settled on defendant paying certain damages which had been agreed upon
Feilding Star, 24 Oct 1903 - SENSATIONAL ARREST
Yesterday Constable Whitehouse and Lyons arrested, on a charge of robbery, a young man named Leslie Rolfe, a native of Sydney, about 23 years of age, who has been employed for the past two years as porter at Mr Hook's Denbigh Hotel. The police have in their possession a miscellaneous assortment of jewellery, silk ties, tobacco, clothing, etc., to the value of £20. Constable Whitehouse on making an examination of the accused's bedroom, discovered an iron trunk, which contained a number of the articles mentioned. He afterwards found a box, which was planted behind a wood heap in the yard of the Denbigh Hotel. Judging from the description of some of the articles, it would appear that the robbery is closely connected with the disappearance of a traveller's samples from Hastie's Sample Rooms, which took place on the night of Oct the 12th or early in the morning of the 14th. Mr Steele, Mr Carthew and Mr Young arrived by the 5:45 train last evening and identified various articles as having been abstracted from their samples
Feilding Star, 9 June 1904 - LICENSE RENEWAL
W. T. Hook, Denbigh Hotel, renewal granted
Wanganui Herald, 1 Sep 1904 - HOTEL DESTROYED
Hook's Denbigh Hotel and sample rooms were totally destroyed by fire at 2 o'clock this morning, the occupants barely escaping. The hotel contained 33 rooms and was built of wood. In less than three-quarters of an hour, the hotel and sample rooms ere reduced to ashes.
The Bank of New Zealand building on the opposite corner was for some time in danger, but the collapse of the hotel saved it. The insurances on the hotel and sample rooms are:- £775 on the stock, and £500 on the furniture in the Phoenix; on the building £875 (2017 equivalent of $153,451) in the London, Liverpool and Globe and on the stock and furniture £350 in the Commercial Union ...
The fire at the Denbigh Hotel was discovered a few minutes before two o'clock this morning by Constable Whitehouse, who had visited the locality half an hour previously but there was then no sign of an outbreak. The Constable, when interviewed, said the fire started in the kitchen, the door of which was locked. When the fire was discovered, flames were bursting through the window. In his opinion, the outbreak was purely accidental.
The hotel was erected about 29 years ago for Mr Chas. Roe
On the alarm being given, Mr Hook, owner and licensee, called up the occupants of the hotel and proceeded to the scene of the outbreak. Mr Hook says he found the fire broke out near the store-room. The flames spread so quickly that he was unable to return to his room for his clothes, and he had to escape in his night attire. In his opinion the fire was the work of an incendiary. Mr Hook estimates his loss at fully £3,000 ($526,121 in 2017)above the insurance.
It is stated that Mr Hook intends to erect a substantial, up-to-date hotel in brick on the site of the building destroyed. The Fire Police and Fire Brigade justified their existence by the good work which they did in the protection of property and in preventing the spread of the fire ...
About an hour prior to the fire at the Denbigh Hotel an outbreak was discovered in a loosebox at Marston's stables attached to the Feilding Hotel. Some straw had been heaped up under a feed box and lighted and the door, which was off the hinges, placed against the doorway to hide the flames until they had obtained a firm hold. Fortunately one of the attendants at the stables who was on duty very late owing to the Feilding Bowling Club's ball being in progress at the Assembly rooms adjoining, saw the fire and extinguished it before much damage was done. There were racehorses in the adjoining loose-boxes so that had the stables been destroyed valuable horseflesh would probably have been lost.
Sergt. Stagpoole received a telegram to-day stating that a man named John Robinson had been arrested on suspicion of having set fire to the stables
Manawatu Times, 16 Dec 1904 - NEW HOTEL
Mr W. Wilkinson, the successful tenderer for the new two-storeyed Denbigh Hotel, Feilding (£6440 worth) commenced operations yesterday. The building will be completed in six months
Manawatu Standard, 13 May 1905 - ELECTRIC LIGHT
Mr B. F. Graham, of Palmerston North, has secured the contract fo installing electric light in the new Denbigh Hotel at Feilding. Mr Hook has decided to instal a Hornsby-Akroyd oil engine for the electric lighting purposes, Messrs Reid and Gray are the sole New Zealand agents for this engine
Feilding Star, 22 July 1905 - DESTRUCTION
Some person or persons of a destructive turn of mind have disfigured the paper in nearly 50 bedrooms of the new Denbigh Hotel, thus spoiling the work
Feilding Star, 14 Aug 1905 - NEARLY THERE
The contractor, Mr W. Wilkinson, has now nearly completed the new Denbigh Hotel, which is being erected for Mr Hook. A considerable quantity of furniture has also arrived and is being put in position. The installation of the electric light plant is also well under way. The opening of the new hotel, which takes place next month, will probably relieve the congestion of the other hotels, which at the present time are taxed to the utmost for the accommodation of the general public and trabellers
Feilding Star, 10 June 1909 - LICENSE RENEWAL
W. T. Hook, Denbigh Hotel, Feilding
Manawatu Times, 27 Sep 1909 - NEW DYNAMO
Mr W. T. Hook, whose Denbigh Hotel is lit throughout with electric light, is having installed a new direct circuit compound dynamo of 160 ampheres-capable of registering 100 volts
Manawatu Standard, 22 Jan 1910 - NEW PROPRIETOR
Mr W. TL Hook, proprietor of the Denbigh Hotel, Feilding, who has held the freehold of, and conducted the Denbigh Hotel, Feilding, for some years, has disposed of his hotel to Mr A. J. Hurn, late of the Grand Hotel, Wellington and Taihape
Feilding Star, 23 Feb 1911 - FEILDING COURT
Mr A. D. Thomson, S.M., was occupied for two days at the last sitting of the Court in Feilding hearing a counter claim made by William Thomas Hook against Charles Natusche for £80 for alleged faulty supervision in the construction of the Denbigh Hotel building ... (more at above link)
Feilding Star, 8 June 1911 - LICENSE RENEWAL
A. J. Hurn, Denbigh Hotel, Feilding
Wanganui Chronicle, 28 Sep 1914 - GOOD IDEA
Mr Hurn, of the Denbigh Hotel, Feilding, has hit upon a good scheme for helping Belgian families who will be sufferers by the war. He has organised a series of rabbit drives for the purpose of securing a thousand rabbits. These will be frozen free of charge at the Feilding bacon factory and sent on to their destination through the Wellington Central Committee. The drives will be per motor cars and any owners of such cars who are prepared to carry shootists for the drives should communicate with Mr J. R. Perry
Feilding Star, 9 Aug 1917 - FURTHER CHARGES
ANTI-SHOUTING. Yesterday afternoon the Magistrate Mr G. W. K. Kenrick, S.M. continued the hearing of charges against local hotel employees for allowing breaches of the anti-shouting regulations. The charge against McLelland, barman at the Denbigh Hotel, was concluded. The Magisrtate said he was not satisfied the evidence of the police was strong enough for a conviction and the charge was dismissed ... Mary Anne Falconer, wife of the licensee was charged on two counts with permitting shouting
Feilding Star, 16 Sep 1919 - DEATH OF CAPTAIN FALCONER
Captain John Falconer, who death at Feilding was reported on Saturday had been, for the last dew years, the lessee of the Denbigh Hotel at Feilding
Feilding Star, 2 Oct 1919 - NEW PROPRIETOR
Mr Harry R. Wallace, who takes over the Denbigh Hotel to-day from the trustees of the late Captain Falconer, is an Anzac. A native of Christchurch - where his father was one of Canterbury's oldest licensed victuallers and his brother is a licensee - he was in the N.S.W. Civil, went to Egypt with the Main Body of Service when the war broke out. He was with the A.I.F. (1st Battalion of the 1st Brigade) and took part in the landing and subsequent fighting on Gallipoli. He was wounded shortly afterwards, but quickly returned, winning a stripe as corporal and was on the Peninsula until the evacuation when he went with the Australians to France and saw much fighting there. Corporal Wallace was in the fight on Lone Pine Ridge when his comrade, the late Captain Shout (another New Zealander) won his Victoria Cross
Wanganui Chronicle, 24 Nov 1919 - SERIOUS DAMAGE
The Denbigh Hotel building was seriously damaged by fire to-day. A little after 2pm flames were discovered in the staff's quarters upstairs at the end of one wing. The fire spread along the wing and the brigade had to fight for an hour to get control. One side of the building was practically gutted on the upstairs portion and the ground floor. The furnishings etc., were ruined by water. The damage is hard to estimate at present, but it is possibly £3000. Both building and stock were insured but particulars are not available. The proprietor is W. T. Hook and the licensee H. R. Wallace. The latter had been here about two months and the fire was very unfortunate for him. He had every room booked for the racing season next week.
The Hon. D. Guthrie's secretary was a guest at the hotel and was using a room for Lands Department work but though he lost his private belongings, like many others, no State documents were destroyed
Manawatu Standard, 16 Aug 1921 - LEASE DISPUTE
... the further defence was raised that if it was proved that the plaintiffs did introduce the said Mary Cramp as the purchaser of the hotel and that an agreement of sale and purchase was executed, the defendant claimed that prior to the agreement being entered into, plaintiff falsely represented to the defendant that the said Mary Cramp had made all necessary financial arrangements and had available the cash necessary to complete the contract ... (more at link)
Manawatu Times, 2 March 1927 - NEW PROPRIETOR
Mr H. Dooley, for a number of years the proprietor of the Denbigh Hotel in Feilding, retired yesterday and with Mrs Dooley will go into private residence in Denbigh Street, pending their departure on a visit to Ireland. Mr McPherson the new proprietor took over yesterday
Manawatu Times, 9 June 1927 - DENBIGH FIRE
The seventy-roomed structure known as the Denbigh Hotel, situated at the corner of Manchester and Fergusson Streets was imperilled by an outbreak of fire which occurred yesterday at 3:50pm. Smoke was seen issuing from an upstairs room in the servants quarter occupied by the second cook, Mr Seager, and while at first considered an incipient outbreak an investigation proved it to be a serious nature and the brigade was promptly summoned and no less promptly arrived on the scene.
Volumes of thick black smoke issued from the rear of the building and the whole structure was soon saturated with the smoke charged atmosphere. The brigade got quickly to work and were able to confine the flames to the seat of the outbreak. Water, however, found its way to the ground floor which was thoroughly soaked. The kitchen, dining room and front of the premises suffered extensively from the effect of the water and smoke and as the electric light wires had been cut, the premises were closed as it was impossible to see,
The new motor fire pump proved an acquisition. There was no doubt as to the water pressure once the pump got going and a copious supply helped the brigadesmen to get the outbreak under control.
The Denbigh Hotel was the scene of a severe fire in 1919 when practically the whole of one wing was destroyed. It is a substantial concrete and brick building of two storeys, owned by Mr W. Hook of Auckland, and occupied by Mr D. D. McPherson who recently took over the license from Mr H. Dooly.
The origin of the outbreak is a mystery, The occupier of the room was absent and nothing is known as to the cause.
The insurances were:- £4,700 on the Hotel premises in the Commercial Union Office and £4,850 in the Ocean Accident Office
Manawatu Times, 8 June 1928 - LICENSE RENEWAL
Harry Burrows, Denbigh Hotel, Feilding
About the DENBIGH HOTEL
.. taken from Manawatu District, Heritage Inventory (pdf)
- anything in italics is my addition -
The Hotel is situated at 50 Manchester Street, FEILDING
The first accommodation house on the site was constructed in 1874 by Charles Roe (1833-1901) who arrived at Petone in 1840. Following his emigration to Wellington, he moved to the Australian gold fields before returning to Wellington where he had an interest in Wellington’s first hotel, Dickie Barretts’. He then followed a career in journalism with the New Zealand Advertiser and Parliament’s Hansard until 1874. Mr Roe ran the Denbigh hotel for 14 years until his retirement. He named the hotel after the Earl of Denbigh who was a director of the Emigrant’s and Colonists’ Aid Corporation, a significant organisation in the settlement of Feilding. As with the Feilding Hotel, the Denbigh has been damaged by fire and rebuilt over the years.
The hotel was constructed by William Wilkinson. Perhaps, even if the town and District were searched in every direction, it would be found impossible to find one who has made a greater contribution to the progress of Feilding, in the material sense, than the sturdy pioneer and artisan to whom we pay public recognition this week - Mr William Wilkinson, master builder of Feilding... Feilding Star, 5th December 1936.
William Wilkinson was born in Preston, Lancashire and immigrated to New Zealand in 1879. After first working in Feilding he then moved to Auckland and the Waikato before commencing business on his own account in 1896. He established the first joinery shop in Feilding and among the many buildings he constructed includes: the Denbigh Hotel, Feilding Technical School, the Bank of New Zealand, Sandilands Buildings, the Manchester Street block from Carthews to Haybittle and Sons, the Fergusson Street block from Tingey’s corner to Bramwell’s, the Feilding Library, the Rangitikei Club and the Masonic Hall.
The building is designed in the Italianate Palazzo style. This Italianate commercial style was a part of the classical revival of the nineteenth century, which was championed by Sir Charles Barry from the 1840’s in his design of clubs and smaller office buildings. His preferred style was the sixteenth century Italian Palazzo and he was also influential in using this style for large country houses for the wealthy. Commercial buildings, particularly banks, preferred the use of classical architecture, and the design of C. R. Cockerell’s Sun Fire and Life Assurance building of 1839-42 in Threadneedle Street confirmed the Italianate Palazzo style. The design of larger structures using classical language was easily solved using the Palazzo style and quickly saw warehouses and multi-storey offices and other buildings adopt the Italianate Palazzo style. Architects such as Edward Walters, J. E. Gregan, Edward I’Anson, and John Gibson, popularised the style in England while Scottish architects also took up the style with gusto. The High Victorian period saw additional classical styles such as the French renaissance become a significant style, however the popularity of the Italianate Palazzo style for commercial buildings was maintained until the Edwardian period, when the style evolved into the Inter-war Commercial Palazzo style. This was developed by American architects McKim, Mead and White initially for Chicago high-rise commercial buildings, and this style became popular throughout the ‘New World’.
A rusticated base with arched window openings, triple arched colonnade to the upper front elevation and heavy cornices over upper windows and keystones are consistent with the style. As with most buildings of the town and period, the building is constructed of painted cement render over brickwork with painted timber joinery. Cast iron balustrading to the upper balcony is possibly an original element, however research on the original form and appearance of the building is lacking to form a definite conclusion. The interior largely retains its original planning; however relining the interior in the latter part of this century has obscured any original material to the ground and most of the upper floors. Small glimpses of the original lining material can be seen in the staff quarters where bedrooms have painted timber match lining on walls and ceiling and a bathroom has pressed metal on walls and ceiling. The substantial building addresses Manchester Street, with an obvious, and long, side elevation to Fergusson Street.
SUMMARY OF HERITAGE VALUES
The building has regional significance for historical and architectural heritage values.
As the first public accommodation house in Feilding, the building has had an historical association with Feilding since its first settlement. Having been built by William Wilkinson, the building retains historical associations with the most prolific and successful builder in Feilding of the Edwardian period.
The building has architectural values as a good representative example of the Edwardian Italianate style, which was popular for hotels and office buildings in the early 20th century. The front elevation contributes to the streetscape of Fergusson Street and is a primary building in the town’s historic Edwardian precinct. It has moderate levels of authenticity of exterior design.
The DENBIGH HOTEL 1920s
Zoom option if you follow the link