ngairedith on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
taken form PAPERS PAST
the EVENING POST - 17 September 1938
anything in italics are my additions
SCANLAN - ELLERAY
The Basilica of the Sacred Heart, Thorndon, was filled with relatives and friends recently for the wedding of Clara Theresa (1912-1987), eldest daughter of Mr James ELLERAY (1878-1952) and the late Mrs Elleray, and Cyril Garrett (1909-1990), younger son of Mrs M. (Mrs Michael -Catherine 'Kate' nee O'Sullivan ) SCANLAN and the late Mr Scanlan (Michael 1866-1920), of Wellington.
The Rev. Father D. NOLAN, cousin of the bridgroom, officiated and celebrated the Nuptial Mass.
The bride wore a beautiful gown of white slipper satin cut on classical lines and trimmed with muinute sprays of lilies. Her tulle veil fell in graceful folds from a coronet of pearls and orange blossom to form a graceful train, and her bridal bouguet was of arum lilies.
Miss Margaret Elleray, sister of the bride, wore a charming picture frock of embroidered Swiss organdie (sic) over primrose and a pretty floral headband to match her posy of spring flowers.
The bridegroom was attended by Mr Edmund MADDEN (Edmund David Madden 1917-2005), and the bride was escorted into the church by her brother, Bryan (Bryan James 1914-1983)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
taken from PAPERS PAST
the OBSERVER - 11 June 1898
A wedding of much interest to a large circle of friends took place on Tuesday, May 24th, at the Thames, the happy couple being Miss Elizabeth Mary Carley BILLINGS, third daughter of the late Mr James A. Billings, and Mr Henry TAYLOR, third son of Mr Henry Taylor, of the Thames.
The ceremony, which was soleminised in St George's Church, was a very prettily arranged one, and was witnessed by a large number of friends.
The Rev. Dr O'CALLAGHAN offciate.
One hundred and fifty guests were afterwards emtertained at a splendid wedding breakfast at the residence of Mr William Taylor, Pollen-street.
The newly-wedded couple departed for their future home in Coromandel, bearing with them the best wishes of numerous friends for a happy and prosperous future.
the known children of Henry & Elizabeth were:
1902 - Percy Clifford Taylor
1903 - Julia Florence Alicea Tayloe
1905 - Mable Emily Carley Taylor
1908 - Eunice May Taylor
1910 - Alma Marjorie Joy Taylor
the wedding report was taken from PAPERST PAST
the OBSERVER 11 June 1898
(italics are my additions)
A wedding of interest to numerous friends was celebrated on Wednesday of last week, at the residence of the bride's parents, Devenport.
The happy couple were Mr H. N. GOLDWATER, son of Mr N. Goldwater, of Hobson-street, and Miss Netta TOBIAS, daughter of Mr T. Tobias, of Auckland.
THe ceremony was performed by the Rabbi, the Rev Mr GOLDSTEIN (Samuel Aaron 1854-1935), a number of friends being present to witness the happy event.
The bride wore a rich and beautful bridal dress of white brocaded silk, charmingly trimmed with silk lace, chiffon and orange blossoms, and was attended by her cousin, Miss Maud Tobias.
The bridegroom's gift to the bride was a diamond ring, and to the bridesmaid, a diamond brooch with initials in pearls. The bride presented the bridegroom with gold sleeve links.
The wedding party were afterward entertained at a sumptuous champagne breakfast, when the toast to the bride and bridegroom was drunk.
Amongst the large collection of handsome and valuable presents received was a silver cake-stand from the Mayor of Devenport, Mr J. C. MACKY (served 1896-1901), and a handsome liqueur-stand, from Waitemata City Rowing CLub, of which, until recently, Mr Goldwater has been a leading member.
Mr and Mrs Goldwater departed for the South to spend ther honeymoon, prior to settling down to their future home at New Plymouth
James Martin DAWSON (1867-1952)
was born in Tokomairiro, Otago 11th of 12 children of Benjamin DAWSON (Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire 1827-1907) & Hannah HURREN (1830-1890) who arrived into Port Chalmers 6 Oct 1853 on the Rajah with 2 children, Henry William (1849-1909) & Mary Honour (1852-1930). Banjamin & Hannah were farmers in Waihola, Otago & later he was the stationmaster at Ravensbourne. They are buried Southern Cemetery, Dunedin
Janet Beatrice SHURY (1875-1962)
was born in Ashburton, 9th of 10 children of Augustus Hutton SHURY (London 1833-1915) & Janet CHAPMAN (1843-1884). Janet's paternal grandfather was George William Shury, Headmaster of Great Ealing School which was founded in 1698 by the Rev Richard Badcock Shury, rector of Perivale, (whose son-in-law the Rev David Nicholas became headmaster in 1791 & HIS sons, the Rev George Nicholas, who left in 1837, and the Rev Francis Nicholas, spent large sums of money on buildings). Janet's father, Augustus Shury arrived in Dunedin in Nov 1860 after spending 9 years in Victoria, Australia. He was the manager of the Union Bank in Ashburton for 20 years
JAMES & JANET married in 1904
Ashburton Guardian, 1 June 1904
ORANGE BLOSSOMS, DAWSON-SHURY
A wedding of no little interest to Ashburtonites took place this afternoon, the contracting parties being Mr James Martin Dawson, of Dannevirke (formerly of the Bank of New Zealand, Ashburton) and Miss Janet Beatrice Shury, youngest daughter of Mr A. H. Shury, of this town.
The ceremony took place at St Stephen's church, which had been profusely and beautifully decorated with evergreens, flowers, wedding bells and hearts by the lady friends of the bride, the Rev E. Whitehouse being the officiating clergyman.
The bride, who was led to the altar by her father, looked very becoming in a costume of broche silk, trimmed with chiffon and d'alenecen lace, and ruchings of true lovers knots, wearing a veil with coronet of orange blossoms, caught up by a diamond ring, She carried a handsome shower bouquet of uncommon and beautiful lilies, with hand painted streamers, the initials of the contracting parties being worked in at either end in a unique and artistic manner by lady friends of the bride. The bride also wore a gold bamboo bangle, the gift of the bridegroom.
Miss Bell, the chief bridesmaid, was attired in a costume of crepe de chene, over pink and laciniolate silk, Paris hat to correspond, with pink and green trimmings. She also wore a greenstone heart pendant, and carried an exquisitely pretty shower bouquet, the gift of the bridegroom
Miss Hart, the other bridesmaid, was dressed in white silk, with Paris lace, and soft white hat to match. The lady wore a pearl pendant necklace, the gift of the bridegroom, and also carried a shower bouquet, nicely arranged.
The best man and groomsmen were Mr J. R. Friedlander and Master Bob Hart, respectively. (16 year old Robert Hutton Hart, son of her sister Helen Grace Shury & Robert William Hart)
As the happy couple left the church, a Wedding March was played in an accomplished manner by Mr Clarence Turner, brother-in-law of the bride. (Her sister Augusta Shury married Clarence Frederic Turner in 1899)
The wedding party was comprised of about 200 guests, among whom were noticeable, Mesdames Hart (Winchmore), Allen, J. Davidson, Turner, Bell, Misses Gresson and Winter, and other prominent ladies of this county.
After the ceremony, which was performed at 2.30. the wedding party were received at Mr Shury's private rooms, at the Somerset Hotel, where afternoon tea was dispensed. Toasts usual on such festive occasions, were proposed and duly honored.
Mr and Mrs Dawson left by the Mount Somers train for Mount Somers, where they will spend a short stay, and then proceed to Dannevirke, in which town they will make their future home. The bride's travelling dress was a smart tailor made dress of blue cloth, with a pretty blue French sailor hat to match.
The presents, numbering over two hundred, included silver and gold ware, articles of furniture, fancy work, wood carvings, ornamental glassware, paintings, cheques, etc., proving that the bride is highly respected and esteemed by a large circle of friends.
We take this opportunity of joining in wishing Mr and Mrs Dawson success and happiness in their new sphere of life
the children of JAMES & JANET Dawson
(others will be added if any found)
1905 - 1905 Hurren Dawson
born in Dannevirke, Hurren died aged 16 hours
buried Grave 72, Block F at Settlers Cemetery, Dannevirke
1910 - 1985 Hurren Martin Stanhope Dawson
taken from Addington Raceway Timeline
... A man recognised for his role in guiding the Anglican Church, Christ's College, and the Metropolitan Trotting Club has died after a long illness.
Mr Hurren Martin Stanhope Dawson, 74, was educated at Christ's College and Canterbury University. He graduated with an LLB and remained in practice as a solicitor in Christchurch for the rest of his life.
A keen sportsman he played for the Canterbury B Rugby team and achieved two New Zealand University blues in shotput and the javelin. He later turned his hand to golf and bowls, with equal success.
He was appointed a steward of the New Zealand Metropolitan Trotting Club in 1963, became a committee man five years later and was made a life member in 1981.
He was a director of Addington Raceway Ltd from 1967-85 and made a life member of the other two contributing Clubs - the New Brighton and Canterbury Park Trotting Clubs - in 1980 and 1981.
Mr Dawson is survived by two sons and two daughters.
In 1915 (death of Janet's father) they were living in Lower Hutt
James Martin Dawson died 27 July 1952 aged 85
Janet Beatrice Dawson died 12 August 1962 aged 86
there burial not yet found
There is a James Hurren Martin 'Jim' Dawson who was a First-class Cricketer (Right-arm fast-medium) for Canterbury playing 11 first-class matches from 1957-1963. He was born 28 Oct 1938 in Christchurch. I'm thinking a possible son of Hurren Martin Stanhope Dawson. Hope someone can help
Plot 119, Block 5P at Southern Cemetery, Dunedin
James's parents Benjamin & Hannah Dawson
WEDDING of Margaret Ethel ELIOTT-LOCKHART (1894-1983)
a daughter of Colonel Robert Dundas ELIOTT-LOCKHART (1841-1920) of the Royal Horse Artillery & Ethel Margaret COTESWORTH (1854-1921)
(their memorials at Sibbaldbie churchyard, Scotland - see photo)
from Evening Post, 15 September 1925
... Bishop Llewellyn Henry Gwynne (Bishop of Egypt and the Soudan) officiated on the 5th August at the Parish Church, Thame, Oxon, at the marriage of
Captain Patrick Kinloch Campbell (1894-1970), Black Watch, (A.D.C. to the late Major-General Sir Lee Stack) eldest son of the late Mr and Mrs Patrick Campbell, of Christchurch (Patrick Campbell 1844-1916 & Emily 'Milly' Robinson (1857-1922), and Margaret Ethel Eliott Lockhart, youngest daughter of the late Colonel and Mrs R. D. Eliott-Lockhart (writes "The Post's" London correspondent).
The marriage took place from the residence of Captain and Mrs Ashton, who subsequently held a reception. Captain Ashton gave away the bride, who wore a dress of deep cream satin beaute, with a train of Carrickmacross lace, and a tulle veil held with a wreath of orange flowers and myrtle. Her bouquet was of white roses.
The bridesmaids - Misses Helen Stack and Anne Slessor - were in delphinium blue with hats to match. The best man was Mr Rowland Barnard.
Those invited to the wedding and to the reception at Scotsgrove House included:
Major and Mrs R. Cotesworth
Mr W. Cotesworth
Major and Mrs C. Cotesworth
General and Mrs Herbert
Colonel and Mrs Hawkins and Miss Hawkins
Flight-Lieut. Macfarlane and Mrs Macfarlane
Colonel and Mrs Slessor
General L. L. Maxwell
Mr and Mrs Birch Reynardson
Colonel and Mrs Watson
Mr Sidney Fane
Captain and Mrs Hemersley
Miss de Rougemont
Miss Gordon Cumming
Mrs P. Eliott-Lockhart
Major A. Slessor
The first part of the honeymoon will be spent in England and later Captain and Mrs Campbell intend visiting New Zealand and Canada
Applegarth & Sibbaldbie Parish Churchyards
taken in 2008 by Chris Newman
taken from PAPERS PAST
(italics are my additions)
the COLONIST - 25 May 1903
A very pretty wedding was solemnised a Mrs (Eliza) Livick's, "Walnut Villa," yesterday afternoon, when Eliza Louisa (Louie), youngest daughter of the late Jonathan LIVICK, (1824-1880) of Cumberland, was married to Mr Richard TREWAVAS, (1872-) of Riwaka, the eldest son of Mr R. J. (Richard James 1847-1911) TREWAVAS, chemist (Motueka)
The Rev. T. JOHNSTON, of Motueka, officiated.
The bride was given away by her eldest brother, William.
She looked charming in her pretty dress of pale biscuit colour, trimmed with silk and lace, she was also wearing the usual wreath and veil of orange blossoms, and carried a pretty shower bouguet, the gift of the bridegroom.
Mr H. O. (Herbert Oscar 1872-1941) Livick acted as best man, the chief bridesmaid being Miss Maggie Trewavas (Margaret born 1877), sister of the bridegroom, who looked very pretty in a brown costume trimmed with blue silk.
The bridegroom's gift to the bride was a handsome gold-mounted bangle, while the bride's gift to the bridegroom was a silver mounted walking stick. The bridgesmaid's present was a gold-mounted greenstone brooch.
The presents were numerous and costly, including a piano from the bride's mother.
After the ceremony the guests were entertained at afternoon tea.
Mr and Mrs Trewavas left overland late in the afternoon for their future home, which is to be at Riwaka, and they left amidst a shower of roses, and heaps of rice, and old boots, etc
... more TREWAVAS MARRIAGES
5 December 1929 - WEDDING BELLS
SUNDGREN - HUNTER
... St David's Church, Britannia Street, was last Wednesday evening, the scene of a pretty and popular wedding, when Violet Myrtle, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs F. Hunter, Petone, was married to Noel George, third youngest son of Mr and Mrs H. Sundgren, Lower Hutt. The Rev J. C. Loan officiated
The bride entered the church accompanied by her father and was attired in a charming froc of pale pink chenille georgette with a bodice pettled mariette skirt of eneven hem. Her veil was arranged together with pink tulle under silver tissue, with coronet of orange blossom intertwined with diamente trimming and she carried a bouquet of pale pink and cream roses and orange blossoms.
The bride was attended by Miss DOROTHY MARTIN as bridesmaid, her frock being of delphinium blue and lemon crepe de chine.
Mrs V. BERTELSEN, sister of the bride, was matron of honour and wore a pretty dress of pale green and lemon satin Celanese.
Both wore coronets of tulle and floral tinsel with rosebud trimmings to match, and carried bouquets of roses and columbines.
Mr L. LANGFORD was best man, while Mr V. SUNDGREN carried out the duties of groomsman
After the ceremony a reception was held at the Labour Hall when some 60 guests were entertained at breakfast.
The guests were received by the bride's mother, who was attired in beige crepe de chene with coatee of radium lace and hat to match with touches of cornflour blue. Her posie consisted of maidenhair fern and autumn tinted roses.
The tables decorated in tones of pink and lemon, and presented a pleasing appearance, while a pink floral bell composed of honeysuckle, pink and cream roses and formed with a cluster of pink, blue, and green and covered with wish-bones hanging from the centre.
Dancing was afterwards indulged in, the music being supplied by Mr C. BERTELSEN
Among those present the following were noticed:-
? Miss L. ARMSTRONG, green georgette and lace
? Mrs T. ARMSTRONG, figured silk
? Miss V. ARMSTRONG, flame georgette
? Mrs BERTELSEN, fawn crepe de chene
? Mrs C. BERTELSEN, green georgette
? Mrs W. DICKSON, green mariette
? Miss HANDS, lemon georgette
? Mrs H. HANDS, navy crepe de chine
? Mrs G. GRANT, navy blue crepe de chine
? Mrs J. LARSEN, navy blue crepe de chine
? Mrs C. MARTIN, figured silk
? Mrs J. MURRAY, beige crepe de chine
? Mrs S. SHEARER, navy and fawn
? Mrs W. G. SHEARER, figured crepe de chine
? Miss SILVA, blue satin
? Miss E. SUNDGREN, navy georgette
? Mrs Z. K. TAYLOR, navy blue crepe de chine
? Miss V. TILLER, rose chiffon velvet and gold taffeta
? Miss E. WOODHEAD, beige
? Mr ARMSTRONG
? Mr BERTELSEN
? Mr BUTLER
? Mr COLLIER
? Mr DICKSON
? Mr EADES
? Mr GILLESPIE
? Mr GRANT
? Mr HAYS
? Mr LARSEN
? Mr LEOMAN
? Mr MARTIN
? Mr MURRAY
? Mr PECK
? Mr SHEARER
? Mr YOUNG
and many others
The happy couple who wre the recipients of many handsome presents later left for the north, the bride wearing naby blue satin crepe de chine and lemon with hat to match
taken from PAPERS PAST
17 June 1898
(italics are my additions)
Thr marriage of Miss Amy SHANKS (Amelia May 1877-1963), fifth daughter of Mr Gavin Brash Shanks (1828-1909), Roseneath, Kaukapakapa, and Mr William Howie DRINNAN (1855-1937), third son of Mrs Drinnan of the same district, was celebrated on Wednesday, May 25th.
The ceremony took place at the residence of Mr James Drinnan, and was wirnessed by a large gathering of relatives and friends.
The Rev. Mr STEELE, of Otahuhu, officiated.
The bride looked charming, and was attired in a tasteful and handsome bridal dress of white figured silk, trimmed with lace and pearl trimmings.
Misses Jessie and Jeannie Shanks acted as bridesmaids, and wore pretty dresses of creme crepon.
Mr James Shanks and Mr Reginald RIKYS attended the bridegroom.
After an excellent weddng breakfast the happy couple drove to Helensville, to catch the afternoon train for Auckland, thence to Sydney to spend their honeymoon.
Both bride and bridegroom are very popular in the district where they have spent their lives, and their nuptials occasioned a good deal of interest and excitement among a wide circle of friends.
The wedding presents were both numerous and valuable.
some of their known children were:
10 March 1899 - 1987 William Keith Drinnan
- William married Mary Agnes REDDY IN 1923
Ethel May Drinnan
- Ethel married Joseph DAY in 1927
Myra Elizabeth Drinnan
WEINMAN buried Karrakatta & Perth cemeteries as at July 2011:
Last Name - Age - Year of Death - Suburb
WEINMAN ALAN JOHN 0 years 1947 CLAREMONT
WEINMAN AUBREY NEIL 71 years 1968 APPLECROSS
WEINMAN DOROTHY HELEN 74 years 1993 DIANELLA
WEINMAN DOROTHY MAUD 91 years 1991 NEDLANDS
WEINMAN FLEUR MARIE 19 years 1990 NOLLAMARA
WEINMAN FLORENCE AMELIA 94 years 1965 NEDLANDS
WEINMAN IAN ALEC 84 years 1996 LESMURDIE
WEINMAN KERRY 0 years 1973 TOODYAY
WEINMAN LAWRIE BOLYCARP 66 years 1971 BALGA
WEINMAN LENA GLADYS 86 years 1993 APPLECROSS
WEINMAN LORENSZ JUSTIN 76 years 1974 MANDURAH
WEINMAN LORNA VALMA 99 years 2009 GREENFIELDS
WEINMAN MARY 57 years 1981 KALAMUNDA
WEINMAN OENONE PATRICIA 72 years 2004 WATERFORD
WEINMAN PATRICIA MAY 84 years 1992 BALGA
taken from the site: What Does It Mean
New Zealand is full of mysterious place names. The impact of Polynesian and then European and Asian settlement has left its mark on our suburbs, street names and parks. Globalisation has meant words can become associated with many, often strange, things.
In Nigerian Pidgin Koro-koro means ?clear vision? and in Japanese it is a word something spherical, fat, or small. Korokoro is also the Maori word for throat and probably named for the shape of the gully and the abundance of fish and birds before European settlement.
Eastbourne comprises some 2000 residential homes spread over seven small bays, although only two are commonly considered part of Eastbourne itself.
Days Bay has particular associations with the young Katherine MANSFIELD, as her parents owned a holiday house there. The story ?At the Bay? was based on her experiences of staying in Days Bay as a child.
Petone comes from the Maori Pito-one, meaning ?end of the sand beach?. Petone was the first European settlement in the Wellington region and retains many historical buildings and landmarks. The first settlers arrived here in January 1840, on the ship Aurora.
Maungaraki translated from Maori means ?mountains to the north?, this probably references the Maori pa to the south that once stood at Pito-one.
Located at the south-eastern end of the Hutt River, Moera is thought to be a simplification of Moe-i-te-ra, meaning ?sleeping in the sun?.
Henry PETRE farmed Woburn in the 1840s and named the area after the Duke of Bedford's estate, Woburn Abbey.
Ngaio takes its name from a New Zealand native tree, the Ngaio. Dame Ngaio MARSH (1895?1982) was a New Zealand crime writer and theatre director. Internationally she is best known for her 32 detective novels published between 1934 and 1982. Along with Agatha CHRISTIE, Margery ALLINGHAM and Dorothy L. SAYERS, she was classed as one of the four original ?Queens of Crime? ? female British crime writers who dominated the crime fiction genre of the 1920s and 1930s. Ngaio was settled at the same time as the neighbouring suburb of Khandallah and like its neighbour many of its streets are named after places on the Indian subcontinent. Ngaio has had a number of notable inhabitants including James K BAXTER and his family from the late 1950s until the 1980s.
Khandallah is a Hindi word meaning ?hills and valleys?, or ?home of the gods?, and comes from a homestead built in the area in 1884 by Captain James Andrew, who had recently returned from duty in India.
Tawa takes its name from the native Tawa tree which once covered the area. Tawa is also a traditional Indian dish. A recently discovered species of dinosaur was coined the Tawa hallae ? Tawa is the Native American Hopi Tribe?s word for the Pueblo sun god. Tawa hallae fills in some gaps in the fossil record and makes the genetic line more inclusive of some weird flying cousins ? suggesting that carnivorous dinosaurs live on today as our avian friends.
The name ?Porirua? is of Maori origin and possibly a variant of ?Pari-rua? (two tides), a reference to the two arms of the Porirua Harbour. The famous captain James Cook of Whitby, England was the inspiration for that suburb?s name, as well as neighbourhood and street names.
The Plimmerton area was first settled by Maori early in their occupation of New Zealand, and the major Taupo pa was nearby. In the 1840s it was the home of Te Rauparaha, who was captured by the British in Plimmerton in 1846.
Near the southern end of Motuhara Road, a tiny historic reserve contains a plaque where he was said to have been captured. In Maori, the words ?puke-rua? literally means ?two hills?. Pukerua Bay is the birthplace and childhood home of film director Peter Jackson whose first feature film, Bad Taste was filmed there
Another site of Maori - English place names has:
MAORI NAME - ENGLISH EQUIVALENT
- Situated in the Collingwood Area. The Inlet is called Ruataniwha
Aotearoa (Land of the Long White Cloud)
- New Zealand
- Hawke's Bay
- The Hutt Valley
- The Hutt River
- Lake Grassmere
- Entry Island
Karauripe; Te Whanganui; Kakata
- Cloudy Bay; Port Underwood in Cloudy Bay
Maitahi or Maitai T
- he Nelson Valley
- Flat Island, Table Island
Otakou (the place of red earth. The Otago Peninsula had much yellow earth which gave red ochre when burnt)
- Stewart Island
Raukawa Cook Strait
Te Aropawa, Te Arapawa
- An island in Queen Charlotte Sound; a general district name
- Tory Channel
Te Ika A Maui (The Fish of Maui)
- The North Island
Te Hoiere or Te Hoihere
- Pelorus Sound; Pelorus River
Te Taitapu Golden Bay
Te Wai Pounamu (The place of Greenstone)
- The Middle Island; The South Island
- Queen Charlotte Sound
Te Whanganui A Tara
- Port Nicholson; Wellington
- Blind Bay, later Tasman Bay
- Chatham Islands
Main source for research :
"Te Rauparaha, a new perspective" - Patricia Burns
"The Reed Dictionary of Māori Place Names" - A.W. Reed