ngairedith on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
An extraordinary site if you are interested in New Zealand history..
It is an Encyclopdea of many, many stories and photos and general information on:
- the settlers, the clearing, the crops and rural life,
- the Mori traditions, (I love the story of how Te Rauparaha used an image of his moko (facial tattoo) to sign a deed of sale,
- the land, plants and animals,
- the enviromnent and economy
- the 1966 Encyclopedia of New Zealand
- the arts and culture
- the weather and climate
- the disasters
- Te Reo Mori
Also Te Ara Blog and Flickr - you can also contirbute a story or subject
See for yourself at
TE ARA ENCYCLOPEDIA of NEW ZEALAND
THOMAS DILLON was born in Bath, Somerset in 1816
.. Site now updated ..
He married Eleanor Nowell in Bath, England in 1838
They had Ellen Jane Dillon in 1840 in England
- she was 9 years old when her parents emigrated
- she married Edward Mathews in 1866 in Auckland
- she married William McNassar in Auckland in 1870
- she married William Spearink in 1878 in Featherston.
I would like to know more on these husbands.
She died 3 weeks after the birth of her only child, a daughter Wilhelmina "Polly" in 1881, daughter of William Spearink.
In 1841 Thomas and Eleanor emigrated to New Zealand
- Thomas Harford Dillon was born December 1841 on board the 'Fifeshire' on the voyage over.
He died in Grovetown, Marlborough in 1921 - I have no spouse for him?
Thomas and Eleanor had Frederick Nelson Dillon in 1844 in Nelson. He married Edith Matilda Wheeler in 1871 - he died in 1914.
They had Alfred Wellington Dillon - born in 1847 in Wellington. He married Elizabeth McArtney in 1872 - he died in 1921 in Marlborough
CHARLES LESLIE WEEDON was born in 1895 (whereabouts unknown).
He died in New Plymouth in 1964.
He married Githa Mabey in 1914 in Motueka, Nelson, New Zealand.
She was the daughter of James Richmond Mabey - b.1870 in Taita, New Zealand d.1965 in Motueka, Nelson - he married Frances Eleanor York b. 1877 - d.1943 in Motueka, Nelson.
Charles and Githa had:
Leslie John Weedon b.1915 in Feilding - d.1982 in New Plymouth, married Gloria Ella Bishop
Francis Margaret Githa Weedon b.1923 in Halcombe - d.1982 in Hamilton, married Roy James Shaw
Constance Levina Weedon b.1925 in Halcombe - d.1980 in Tauranga, married Joseph John Malyon
Marion Anita Weedon b.1927 in Eltham - d.1977 in Hamilton, married Desmond Belk
Ronald Murray Weedon b.1929 - d.1984 in Te Kuiti
The other children I have but without further information are:
Harold Godfry Weedon
Daphne Joan Weedon
Nelson James Weedon
Beverley Anne Weedon
Can you add further informtion for me?
Would also like Charles's parents, where they were from etc.
ELEANOR "HELEN" HARRIS was born in Broomfield, Essex, England about 1819.
She emigrated to New Zealand on the "Slains Castle" in 1841 with a Samuel Harris who was maybe her brother ..?
The following year, in Wellington, she married George Pilcher (who had arrived in 1839 on the "Bolton" from Gravesend) and they had 12 children from 1844 to 1862, all born in the Wellington District.
She and George moved up to the Hawkes Bay at some stage after that - they both died in that area, George in 1891 in Napier and Eleanor in possibly Clive, in 1882.
I would like to know her parents and whether her travelling companion Samuel Harris was indeed her brother, if so, what became of him...
Leona Mary Ball was one of 7 children of Leonard William Ball and Irene Hooper who were married in St Patrick's Church in Masterton, New Zealand in 1928.
Leona married Frans Johannes van Berlo and they had 4 children.
Pieter Johannes van Berlo
Gerard Josef and
Frans Johannes van Berlo was born in Holland in 1922. He arrived in New Zealand from the Netherland in 1952 ... He died in Masterton in 1993
I would like to know his parents and siblings
William Henry Bowater was born in Cardiff in Wales and died in Sandon, New Zealand.
He married Fanny Gaskin in Lower Hutt, New Zealand in 1874 and they had 6 children that I know of...
Harold Richard Bowater b.1877 - d.1941
Ormond Charles b.1879 - died aged 17 in 1896
Ellen Ethel Elizabeth b.1882 - d.?
Constance Milicent Annie b.1888 - died aged 7 months
Annie b.1888 - was she a twin with Constance, or do I have the birth year wrong?
Cecil Ernest Tancred b.1889 - d. 1936
Can you also help with William's parents and also the ship he emigrated on and the spouses of his children etc
Born in Maitland, New South Wales, Australia in 1857 CHARLES HINTON moved to the Waikato in New Zealand at some stage.
Do you know when?
He died in 1943 and is buried at Te Awamutu cemetery.
He married Alice Mary Ann Steadman in Hamilton, New Zealand in 1884.
She was born in Kent, England in 1865.
Do you know how and when she emigrated to New Zealand?
She died in 1928 and is also buried in Te Awamutu cemetery.
They had 13 children, all born around the Waikato areas of Hamilton, Ohaupo, Orakau, Kihikihi.
Ernest Harold Hinton b.1884, married Mary Ashby, d.1956 in Thames
Alice Blanche Amy Hinton b.1886, married William Joshua Anderson, d.1947 in Stratford, Taranaki.
Charles Frank Victor Hinton b.1887, did he marry?, d.1967 in Hamilton.
Cecelia Hilda Hinton b.1890, married George Reynolds, d.1985 in Te Awamutu.
Katie Lillian Hinton b.1891, married Edward Costain, d.1969 in Gisborne.
Ivy Myrtle Hinton b.1893, married Walter James Ashny, d.1976 in Te Awamutu. Walter may have been a brother to Mary Ashby, wife of her brother Ernest.
Ida May Hinton b.1895, married William Teddy, d.1972 in Te Awamutu.
Virgie? Hinton b.1897, married Edward Stanford, d.1987 in Auckland.
Kenneth Charles Hinton b.1899, did he marry?, d.1928 in Te Awamutu.
Trevor Hinton b.1901, married Katie Reynolds (was she a sister to George Reynolds who married Trevor's sister Cecelia?) d.1951 in Hamilton.
Sophie Hinton b.1903, married George Golding, d.1987 in Auckland.
Roy Haddrell b.1904, did he marry?, d.1989 in Te Awamutu.
Ella Hinton b.1907, married Ralph Smith, d.1978 in Tauranga.
Can you add further information - click the above link to Charles - or amend what I have perhaps.
Would like to know Charles's parents from Australia and on what ship they arrived.
Percy John Anniss was the son of William and Jane Elizabeth Anniss of Burkes Pass, New Zealand.
Percy was born in 1881 in Burkes Pass and died 1962 in Hamilton, Waikato.
He married Frances Minnie Martin in Paraparaumu in 1901.
Their children that I have are:
Mildred b.1901 - d.1970 married Ernest Norrish
Ellen Elizabeth Kebbler b.1904 - d.1983 married Clyde Sutherland
Eric John b.1905 - d.1973 married Lucy Taylor
Clarence Percy b.1907 - d.1977
Hilda Rose b.1909 - d.1978 married Eric Charles Hill
Frances Joyce b.1915 - d.1979
Harry Mason b.1916 - d.1976
There were at least two others
They were all born around the Manawatu area
Can you help with any other information
PERCY JOHN ANISS
thanks to Rose for updating this family - see her comments below...
- born 14 April 1808 in Bollington, Cheshire, England
- died 20 Dec 1886 in Governor's Bay, Canterbury
- he married Elizabeth BASKERVILE
- Elizabeth was born 1812 in England
- she died 5 Aug 1902 in Feilding
- she is buried Plot 8, Block 3 at Feilding cemetery
They had 10 chidren in Macclesfield, Cheshire, England
1831 - 1906 Thomas Fitton
- died aged 75 in England
1834 - 1839 James Fitton
- James died aged 5 of smallpox
1835 - 1839 Hannah Fitton
- Hannah died aged 4 of smallpox
1837 - 1839 Charles Fitton
- Charles died aged 17 months of smallpox
1840 - 1840 Sarah Ann Fitton
- Sarah died aged 9 months of smallpox
1842 - 1842 Ann Fitton
- Ann died aged 15 weeks of smallpox
1843 - 1845 David Fitton
- David died aged 23 months of smallpox
1845 - 1938 Mathew Fitton (see below)
- Mathew died aged 91 in Feilding
- he is buried Plot 16B, Row 3, Block 3 at Feilding cemetery with wife Isabella
1847 - 1848 Andrew Fitton
- Andrew died aged 1 of smallpox
1850 - 1874 Edwin Randel Fitton
- Edwin died aged 24 in Canterbury, NZ
Then in 1851 they emigrated on the CANTERBURY into Lyttleton with the 2 remaining boys, Mathew aged 6 and Edwin aged 1.
CHARLES & ELIZABETH had 2 boys in New Zealand
1853 - 1933 Charles Fitton
- Charles died aged 80
1855 - 1934 Joseph Fitton
- nothing known
I have 9 children for MATHEW FITTON who married Isabella Alexander in 1869 in Lyttelton.
If you visit Mathew's link you will see I don't have a great deal of information on any of them...
The spouses I do have for this family includes the names,
Haycock, Cuthbertson, Sicely, Phyn, Jaggard,
Can you please help?
HEADSTONE of Elizabeth Fitton at Feilding
ELIZABETH 'Lizzie' ANN FITTON
was born at Governor's Bay, Lyttleton on 12 Feb 1870
She married WALTER JAMES HAYCOCK (1863-1912) at the home of Mr Oldershaw, St Leonard's Lodge, Beaconsfield on 10 Dec 1889
Walter died 11 May 1912 age 49
13 May 1912
... Walter James Haycock, eldest son of the late Charles and Henrietta Haycock, a married man residing at Wanganui East, was killed while bushfelling at Waiwera, near Taumarunui, on Saturday aged 49 years.
14 May 1912 ST ANDREW KILWINNING LODGE, No 79.
... The BRETHREN are requested to attend the Funeral of the late Bro. W.J. Haycock, to-day (Tuesday) afternoon, assembling at the Town Bridge at 3.15 o'clock. No regalia. BY ORDER of the W.M.
[14 May 1912 I.O.O.F., M.U., No 4738
... The Members of the above are requested to assemble at the Town Bridge at 3.15p.n. to-day to attend the Funeral of the late Brother W. J. Haycock. BY ORDER of the N.G.
16 May 1912 Mr Walter James Haycock, a farmer at Waimihi, in the Wanganui district, was killed while bush felling on his farm. He was at work on a tree on which the branch of another tree was resting, and when the tree started to fall, the branch broke and fell, striking Mr Haycock on the forehead, killing him instantly. He was brought by train to Wanganui, where his family resided and interred there. He leaves a wife and five children. Mr Haycock was a member of the Masonic and Oddfellows' Lodges. He was well known in the Feilding district and had been on the staff of the Feilding Star
WALTER & LIZZIE had 5 children:
1890 - 1964 George Walter Haycock
- George was an Engineer
- George served in WWI as Sapper 31155 with the NZEF, 20th Reinforcement, NZ Engineers
- he embarked 30 Dec 1916, 4 months after his brother Leonard left for war
- his mother was living in Wanganui East
1892 - 1978 Leonard Arthur Haycock
- Leonard was a Carpenter
- Leonard served in WWI as Sergeant 20526 with the New Zealand Rifle Brigade, 7th Reinforcements 4th Battalion, H Company
- he embarked 20 Aug 1916, 16 months after the death of his brother Fred
- his mother was living in Wanganui East
- Leonard married Alice Mau GRAY in 191
1893 - 1915 Fred Ellis Haycock
- Fred served in WWI as Corporal 12/762 with the Auckland Infantry Battalion, 2nd Reinforcements
- he enlisted from Kiokio, Otorohanga, Waikato
- his mother was then living at Wanganui East
- Fred was killed in action at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915
1899 - 1955 Ivy Elizabeth Haycock
- Ivy married George Thomas William BUTLER in 1921
1900 - 1978 Winifred Violet Haycock
Lizzie had 2 brothers who served in war:
* Charles Randal Fitton, served in WWI as Lance Sergant 13/605 with the Auckland Mounted Rifles
- he enlisted from Waimiha. His father was living in Taihape
- Charles died of wounds in Palestine on 2 April 1918
* Joseph Arthur Fillton, served in WWI as Trooper 13/2319 with the Auckland Mounted Rifles, 7th Reinforcements
- he enlisted from Mangapehi
- his next of kin was his brother-in-law Henry James Tidmarsh Jaggard in Taihape
- his sister Clara had married Henry in 1902
Lizzie had a nephew William who served in war
* William James Fitton was a son of her brother James
- he was a Farmer
- he served as Rifleman 12997 with the NZ Rifle Brigade, 3rd Reinforecements to 4th Battalion, H Company
- he embarked 6 May 1916. His father was in Aratora via Mangapehi
- William was killed in action 1 Nov 1916 in France
Lizzie died on 1 Dec 1949 in Auckland aged 79
- she is buried Area 5 Block A Lot No 829 at Waikaraka
Corporal Fred Ellis Haycock
- see his link above -