steve74 on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
SHARK GETS FISHERMAN
On Christmas Eve 1881, two brothers named Brown left Melbourne in a fishing boat en-route for Frankston, to spend Christmas there, but failed to arrive. The sea and beach were searched without finding a trace of the missing men. An evening or two later a shark was noticed swimming in the vicinity of the pier.
Two men set to capture it. They were Jack Connal (father of Bill Connals garage) and a man universally known as “Jack the Russian” or “Russian Jack”. They used an ordinary shark hook and managed to hook him twice, but the hook failed to hold him. This made it obviously significant that they were dealing with no weakling so they decided to get a special hook made. It was a bright moonlight night, and they decided to keep on the job, so they went to the blacksmith’s and got Mr. John Cameron out of his bed and got him to make a hook to their specifications.21st January 1885, Illustrated Australian News
CAPTURE OF A MONSTER SHARK.
DISCOVERY OF HUMAN REMAINS IN ITS INSIDIE.
On Saturday, Dec. 27, two young men named Coxall were fishing off the Frankston pier, when one of them hooked a shark about 14 feet in length and 9 feet in girth. Owing to
the size of the shark they were unable to land it at once, the result being that it broke away. The shark, however, continued hovering about the pier, and was fed with fish until another hook was obtained, and on a second trial the Coxalls managed to again secure the monster, and drag it into shallow water, where it was shot. On opening it, portions of a coat, vest and trousers were found in its stomach, and in one of the vest pockets were found a gold watch and silver chain, and in the trousers pocket - the sum of 10s. 6d. in silver, two keys and n pipe. Further search being made, a human arm and a portion of a skull were found in the stomach. The articles found were handed over to Constable Moore, and the clothing and watch were identified by Mr. Brown as belonging to his brother, who was drowned in tlie yacht Iolanthe. A magisterial inquiry was held at St. Kilda when the watch was identified by Mr. Brown as that belonging to his son Henry, the elder of two unfortunate brothers who were lost on the 13th ins, whilst on a fishing expedition. The body of the younger son William, when found on the beach, was without the left arm, which had evidently been torn off by a shark. The arm contained in the stomach of the fish in question was, however, a right arm, which fact, taken in conjunction with the recognition of the watch, renders it an abso- lute certainty that it is the arm of the elder brother.
Frankston OVAL AND STATE SCHOOL
The main part of the Frankston Park was at one time (about 1880) fenced with post and rails and a year later cleared and the oval laid out.
The State School was built in 1877 consisting of one room and a lean* dwelling (that dwelling is still being used) the only alteration being the dividing wall. This is the school in which I graduated. The man who built this School was William Staples.
THE FIRST TEACHER
The first teacher was a Mr Dawson followed by Mr Potts, Mr Kneen and Mr Bourke in that order. Mr Bourke came from “The Emerald Isles” and was a fine old man. Those teachers were the only ones to live in the school. A Mr Phillips an engine driver, occupied the residential portion for a long time. The school was fenced in by Ex. Cr. Jim Hodgins, and his brother of Hastings, in 1888, and they made a good job of it. We had Arbor day and planted a double row of pine trees along the fence.
SCHOOL TREES 62 YEARS OLD
If it is of any educational value to the school children of today, the surviving trees in their yard are approximately 62 years old.ate School
Robert Cadby Wells has a very good recollection of History, as compared with the newspaper articles. His memoirs are very interesting. I think that his memoirs are to be considered reliable.
FRANK STONE - “FRANKSTON”
Now we come to the man who is credited with having Frankston named after him. He was Frank Stone. In the year somewhere about 1855 Mr. Stone built a way side inn between the Grand Hotel and Mechanics Institute about where the telephone exchange now is. It was used as a half-way house for people travelling from Melbourne and Sorrento. My Grandfather H. C. Wells was one of those travellers. He had an interest in lime kilns down the Peninsula in 1858. On occasions he used to bring along my father who was a boy about 12 years old at the time, which would be 92 years ago. About this time the locality was known as “Frankstone” and suggests that this brought about the idea of the name Frankston
THE WELLS/POLGALSE CONNECTION- By Burt Polglase
This family history was written many years ago. This was a time where people relied on the stories told by each family. There was no internet or technology. At the time I think Bert done a great job of recording history (the best according to his memory). It pays to verify all information.
In early 1830 a young couple came across from Northern Ireland to england, the husband having been appointed to the position of footman to an English Earl.
The couple had a young son named David and the Earl and his wife a young Daughter about the same age. The two children, as children will talked to each otherand later played together, and as they grew older would, whenever possible go for walks.
The Earl did not encourage this friendship and endeavoured to stop it. As the couple reached teenage the friendship became more serious and eventually turned to love. The Earl in the end forbade his daughter to see young Kelly, but love has a way and the couple used to meet in secret. The couple wanted to marry and in the end decided to ask the Earl and his Wife for permission to marry, but of course this wa refused outright, as it was unthinkable for the daughter of an Earl to marry a commoner. As love knows no bounds the couple decided they woul elope and get married and go out to Australia.
THE FACTS ARE;
The above couple is Robert Kelly and Mary Ann Beattie.
Mary Ann was a Widower, first married to Isaac Rooney, Ireland who had two children;
Mary Jane Rooney and Isaac Rooney.
Robert Kelly was born in County Tyrone, Ireland on the 9th January 1825, son of Robert Kelly and Ann Greer. On the 3rd March 1847, Robert married Mary Ann Rooney at Donaghmore, Ireland, the daughter of David Beattie and Mary Jardan. Mary Ann was a widow, with a young son named Isaac Rooney. Isaac’s father was also named Isaac, a Church Warden at Castlecaulfield. Isaac senior died in 1842, whilst Mary Ann was pregnant with Isaac. Robert and Mary Ann had their first child, Ann born in Ireland in 1848.
Ireland was experiencing “The Potato Famine”, a time where between 1 and 2 million people emigrated for a better life in other Countries. This when the Kelly family departed for Australia for a better life.
On the 5th September 1849, the family left Plymouth aboard the “Andromache” arriving at Point Henry, Geelong, Victoria on Christmas Eve 1849.
The Family first settled in Melbourne (near Flinders Street). Robert tried his luck at the Goldfields for a while, before settling in Collingwood. Whilst at Collingwood, David Beatty Kelly was born in 1850, followed by Sarah in 1852, Maria in 1854, Catherine in 1856 and Robert Alexander in 1857.
David spent the first 10 years of his life residing in Collingwood, before the family moved to Harkaway in the Dandenong Ranges. After a few years here, the family moved to Frankston in about 1860.
As a young lad David become a driver of Bullock teams. He carted firewood to Frankston Pier from where it was sent to Melbourne. He also carted bricks throughout the township.
David was next heard of in Gippsland doing general cartage work, and is credited with the distinction of being the first man to drive a spring cart from Frankston to Rosedale. In the Rosedale district he secured a bullock team, and ran the team between Bairnsdale and the Crooked River, and carted the first machinery for Mr Flintoff to the gold mines in that area.
David Kelly returned to Frankston where he married a widow named Mary Louisa Wells on the 7th December 1869. David purchased a property of 80 acres on Cranbourne Road where he established a farm and Orchard. He also continued his cartage work. With others he took part in a search for coal, which some residents contended was to be found in the district. A shaft about 80 feet deep was sunk near Mornington road, probably on the property now owned by Mr. L. R. U. Utber. That proving unsuccessful, a bore was put down near the beach not far from the Frankston tennis courts. Failing there, the searchers next put down a bore on Cricklewood Estate, where, instead of coal, they discovered a spring of beautiful water. This was semi-artesian, and continued to flow for many, years. Still later he established a dairy in the township. He lived in Young street for 50 years before his death. When he first resided there he owned all the land from where Sherlock and Hay's timber yards now are to Playne street. When the township grew he subdivided the land and disposed of most of it. Until his death he believed that gold could be obtained in the district. When aged nearly 80 years he took part, with others who held a similar belief, in the sinking of a shaft at Langwarrin.
David Kelly died on the 19th May 1936, aged 86 years.
Ann Kelly, born Ireland Marriage (1) John Clarke (2) John Dixon Box
Sarah Kelly born Collingwood 1852 married Frank Richard Wells
Maria Kelly born Collingwood 1854 died Frankston 11th July 1933
MISS M. KELLY Miss .Maria Kelly," aged. 80, years, who died on July 11, was one of the pioneers of Frankston, where she, re' sided with her- parents, for- many years. About 60 years ago she left the district, but often returned to Frankston to visit her brother, Mr. David Kelly, and her sister, Mrs. F.R. Wells, senior. Burial, took place in the Booroondara cemetery on July 12.
Catherine Kelly born Collingwood 1856 died Collingwood 1857
Robert Alexander Kelly born Collingwood 1857
DEATH OF ROBERT & MARY ANN KELLY
KELLY. -On the 1st May, at the residence of her
son-in-law, 58 Elgin street, Hawthorn, Mary Ann, relict of the late Robert Kelly, late of Trinian street, Prahran, also loving mother of the Rev.Fix this text I. Rooney, of South Australia; Mrs. A. Box, Hawthorn; Mrs. D. B. Kelly, and Mrs. F. Wells, Frankston; Miss M. Kelly, 68 Powell street, South Yarra; also late Mr. R. A. Kelly, Korumburra; aged 100 years and 5 months.
KELLY. —On the 15th January, at his residence,
30 Trinian-street, East Prahran, Robert, the dearly beloved husband of Mary Ann Kelly andFix this text loving father of Miss M. Kelly, Mrs. J. D. Box (Hawthorn), Mr. D. Kelly, and Mrs. F. Wells (Frankston), and Mr. R. A. Kelly (Korum- burra), also the Rev. I. Rooney (South Australia),
Early Pioneers Frankston
DAVEY, Mr James Davey is thought to have had the Cananuke Run in Frankston in 1836, where he operated the cannanuke Inn. In 1845 James davey purchased the 8000 acre run "Ballanrong" from Thomas Gorringe. It ran south-east from the top of Mt Eliza to within about four miles from Hastings. He also jointly acquired the "Junction Run" in the Murray River area in partnership with Mr Hamilton (Further Frankston Portraits)
James Davey arrived in South Australia on the ship “Argyle” from Cornwall, England, in 1838.
It seems that he had lived at Gardener’s Creek, Victoria before coming to Frankston, as his eldest son William was born at that place. This son in his mature years owned and conducted the Bayview Hotel- now “The Grand”- which he purchased from his father in 1874.
Davey came around 1850 and built his first house on the Mornington Road where old “Marathon” stands. Here he resided while building a larger house overlooking the Bay that bears his name and he called it “Marysville” after his wife.
In 1851, he obtained pre-emptive right of land at Mt Eliza, with Sweetwater Creek as his north eastern boundary and extending towards Mornington and Moorooduc. On this run he built his third house, situated on the flat country at the extreme end of the Mount, not far from where Mornington Railway line now runs. This house was on his farm land which he called “Bell Ring Farm”.
In a nearby creek he made a dam and this locality eventually became known as the “Old Dam” or “The Old Pound” there being a pound built on a reserve close by. This yard of detention was erected during the old “Road’s Board” regime. It was mostly horses that were impounded, as there many roaming the country in those days.
I have proof that this Pound was in use seventy eight years ago. How long before that date I do not know.
Son of Mr James Davey
OBITUARY. MR. JAMES DAVEY. It is with regret we have to chronicle the death, at the age of 56, of Mr James Davey, a respected resident of long standing at Frankston, which occurred at Melbourne on Friday last, Mr Davey, though years ago a sufferer on account of ill-health, had recently been exceptionally well, but an attack of cerebral hemorrhage about a fortnight ago necessitated him entering a hospital, and though he railed somewhat, the attack proved fatal, as stated above. The deceased gentleman, who had been living in St. Kilda for the past couple of years, was born at Gardiner's Creek, Victoria, but lived the greater part of his life at Davey's Bay, Frankston. He was the second eldest son of Mr Jas. Davey, one of the pioneers of this district, and after whom Davey's Bay was called. For some time the deceased gentleman lived at Red Hill, but the greater part of his life was passed at "Marysville," Davey's Bay, Frankston, erected by his father, Mr Jas. Davey, in 1851. Some interesting facts surround "Marysville," which was built at a cost of £2000, on elaborate lines, the slates and timber being brought over from Tasmania. In the early days "Marysville" was the mansion if the district. The old homestead was dismantled a few years ago by Mr A. H. Sargood, who purchased the land and erected a magnificent residence thereon, shortly after which Mr Davey moved to St. Kilda,after having spent about 40 years in the district. The deceased leaves a widow and family of six boys and four girls to mourn their loss. One of the sons, Mr Len Davey, is a resident of Mount Eliza, the others, as they have grown up, having removed to various parts. The funeral took placece on Monday at the Kew Cemetery, the burial service being read by the Rev. Mr Rowells, of East Melbourne.
*James Davey Junior purchased two blocks at Red Hill totalling 250 acres. on one of these blocks he built his home "Forest Lodge". (Further Frankston Portraits.)
Who was the Frankston Hermit? There has been much speculation to why John Maddox became a hermit.
It was said that John Maddox was the Captain of a Ship that wrecked, killing many passengers. It was also said that a wealthy brother from Wales, came to Australia to persuade John to return to Swansea with him.
The Argus, Monday 26 November 1917
FRANKSTON HERMIT'S DEATH.
FRANKSTON, Friday: - At the Homoeopathic Hospital, St Kilda road, yesterday morning, there passed away an eccentric man, John Maddox, who for 20 years has haunted the seashore. For eight years he occupied a primative cabin near the beach at Elwood, where he was well known amongst the yachtsmen. He nexted camped on the Government reserve between the Nepean Road and the sea, about two miles out of Frankston. It is over 12 years since he first came to Frankston, and during that time his camp has been inspected by thousands of visitors. During his residence in Frankston he refused all monetary assistance.
Every day at 9 a.m and 4 p.m he used to call the birds, and hundreds of birds of all sort would fly around him, while he fed them. Maddox has left no relatives here but he is supposed to have a sister somewhere in Wales. He was receiving the old-age pension for some little time before his death, and the public are to be asked to contribute towards his funeral expenses. Donations may be sent to Mr. Mark Brody, Frankston
The Lloyd's Captain's Registers - John Maddox born 1846 at Fishguard, Pembroke, Wales and received his certificate of competency at Liverpool in 1873.
Saturday 12 June 1897 (Source: TROVE)
"At the Newcastle Police Court to-day Captain Maddock, of the barque Mary Moore, was fined 2 pound and one guinea professional costs, in addition to costs of Court, for having assaulted John Webber, boatswain of the barque."
The boat was sold in 1906, the owner at that time being a Mr A. Sweet.
Sydney Morning Herald, Friday 3 August 1906
"SALE OF THE MARY MOORE. The barque Mary Moore, a composite vessel built in 1868 by Messrs. A. Stephen and Sons, of Glasgow, and owned by Mr. A. Sweet, was yesterday sold, though Messrs. Nelson and Robertson, of this city, to the Melbourne Steamship Company, Limited, to be used as a coal hulk..."
Source: UK National Archives
Covering dates 1891 Jan 1 - 1891 Dec 31
Held by The National Archives, Kew
"Ship: Mary Moore; Official number: 48615.
John Maddox; rank/rating, Master; age, 44; place of birth, Fishguard; previous ship, Inverness of Swansea.
Amongst the crew, a Llewellyn Maddox, same place of birth (?)
Llewelyn Maddox; rank/rating, Boatswain; age, 47; place of birth, Fishguard; previous ship, Llandaf City of Bristol."
'Welsh Mariners Index' also has an Enoch Maddox, born Fishguard.
"MADDOX Enoch Fishguard 1848 13183 00/00/35 om71 OC75 PEM 122/15&84
1876 address: 35 James St., Swansea. C/70899/Taurida/1880-2, M, For. C/78767/Livadia/1882-4. C/86260/Norseman/1884-7, US. C/91164/Roman/1887-8, US. Dead - Journal of Commerce (recent wills) 16 November 1935.
I think this is enochs family on Roman 1890
112 Mrs Maddox F Wife England Visitor
113 John Maddox 9 M England Visitor
114 Daisy Maddox 7 F England Visitor
115 Eohel Maddox 6 F England Visitor
116 Winner Maddox 2 F England Visitor
MADDOX John Fishguard 1846 88713 om68 1m71 OC73 PEM 122/58&60
2m/51113/Golconda/1869-71, Valparaiso. m/38968/Isabella/1871-2, Mataro?, Bona. m/51116/Powhaltan/1872-3, Valparaiso. m/63580/Silurian/1873-4, Valparaiso. 1m/47854/Alpha/1874-5, Valparaiso. m/51107/Delta/1875-6, Valparaiso. m&C/51117/Iota/1876-9, SP. 2m/76521/Balcarres/1879, NA, Med. C/58076/Ocean Rover/1880-7, SP. C/63519/Inverness/1887-8, Cp, SP. C/48615/Manymore/1895. (BT122/85)."
The Sydney Morning Herald Monday 9 March 1891 (Source: TROVE)
"The composite barque Mary Moore has been sold. She is 565 tons register, was built at Glasgow in 1868, and carries 890 tons deadweight."
From the info below, was it a transfer of ownership from W. Montgomery to Maddox & Co. ??
LONDON b90 W.Montgomery: b98 Maddox &Co: SYDNEY b02 G.J.Robertson:
From a Sydney Morning Herald report, Robertson (Messrs. Nelson and Robertson)had ownership by January, 1900."
It looks like the Llewellyn Maddox who was listed as Boatswain on the 'Mary Moore' with Captain John Maddox in 1891 may have been his brother.
Llewellyn (born Fishguard: Mariner Mercantile), his wife Mary, and brother John (born Fishguard: Mariner Mercantile) are listed on the 1891 Swansea census under 'Maddex'
The "Mary Moore"
Ronald Charles wells was born Frankston Victoria 15th August 1887, son of Sarah E Wells. Ronald Wells enlisted world war 1 in South Australia (service number 363).
Murtogh Mahony married Ellen Ronane
Residence: Nida Nea, Dunmanway
Baptised: 11th October, 1834
Baptised 21st September 1832, Fanlobus
Baptised 17th Januaty 1840, Fanlobus
Baptised 2nd May 1828, Farrenageera
Place of Birth: Dunmanway, County Cork
Parents: Murtogh (Mortimer) Mahoney and Ellen Ronane
Baptised: Dunmanway, 14th August 1829
Arrived in Australia aboard “Athene” 1862?
Married Margaret Keating, Warrnambool 1864 (reg 692)
Died: Colac 1924, aged 89 years. Son of Mortimer John Mahoney and Mary Unknown (cert 5065)???
Spouse Death: Warrnambool 1890
My ggg-grandmother was Ellen Mahony (daughter of Timothy Mahony & Margaret Keating)
Ellen was born in warrnambool 1869
She had a illigitiment daughter Annie may mahony, before she married Edmund Henry Perry in
Ellen died in Boolarra, Victoria 1909, from imflamation, leaving 5 children
Now I come across another family tree that states that this Ellen Mahoney married Anthony
Do I have the wrong family of my Ellen Mahony. I do know that Ellen was disowned by her
family after becoming pregnant with Annie.
Born: C. 1807, Milverton
Death: 26th August 1879, Melbourne
Spouse (1) Ann Morby, New Norfolk, Tasmania 19th February 1844
Spouse (2) Mary Kelly, Tasmania 1852
Spouse (3) Sarah Jane Hilliard
Convict Indenture: Con 31 Image 86 + Con 18 Image 138
Death: Melbourne 26th August 1879
Arrival Australia: Convict Ship “Sir Charles Forbes’. Departed London 5th March 1830, arrived Hobart Australia 27th July 1830
Jailed: Admitted to IIchester Jail 12th August 1829
Sentence: 22nd August 1829, Life, Somerset, England
1832: Tasmania, in the service of Peter Rush, Hobart. 29th February, Disobedience of order
1836: Applied for “Permission to Marry” Mary Marshall (Lady of the Lake), 8th January 1836.
1837: Tasmania, August 22nd, Pilfering one Goose, 3 years hard labour, 2 of which in Chains
1841: Tasmania 20th July, Ticket of Leave Granted
Applied for “Permission to Marry” Ann Morby (Arab) December 1841
1844: Tasmania, Loss of Ticket of Leave for misconduct
Applied for “Permission to Marry” Ann Morby (Arab), February 1844.
Henry Owen married Ann Corby, 19th February at New Norfolk, Tasmania
1852: Received Conditional Pardon
1853: Sailed on the Steamer “Yarra Yarra” from Launceston to Melbourne on the 10th of April.
1861: Melbourne, Saturday, 26th October, Henry Owens and wife Jane Owens are sentenced to 3 months imprisonment for operating a Brothel in Latrobe Street.
1867: 25th November, Sarah Jane Hilliard gives birth to Edmund Henry Owens at their residence in Warburton Lane Melbourne. Henry is 61 years of age and Sarah is 27 years.
1869: Melbourne, Tuesday July 20th, City Court, before Mr Panton; Discharges- Henry Owens, a blind old man, and Sarah Hilliard, charged with insulting behaivour, were cautioned and discharged.
Saturday October 26th, 1861
Before Mr. Sturt, M.P
His worship took the Bench at 10 o’clock
Henry Owens and Jane Owens were charged with being tho keepers of a common brothel, and Anne Connelly and Mary Anne Brooks, two quite young girls, were charged with vagrancy. _ Constable Summerhayes arrested the prisoners in a house situated in Little la Trobe street, near Elizabeth-street. The place bore an infamous character. The constable stated that Brooks, the youngest girl, had not been in the house above two days, having been abducted from her home by a man named Nelson. The girl's mother said her daughter bad borne an excellent character at several situations, until Nelson obtained possession of her. The old woman Owens, Summerhayes stated, would have turned the girl naked into the street unless she had been prevented, because she would not pay her 6s. for a bed. The girl Connelly then paid her for the bed. Constable Eager deposed that he accompanied Summerhayes to the house, and heard the female prisoner make the demand for money for an immoral purpose. It was tendered, but not given. On their way to the watch house, the woman Owens wanted witness to compromise the matter. The male prisoner, who was blind, endeavoured to make his escape, but was prevented. It appeared that the girl Brooks had been recently brought under the notice of the police magistrate, who then advised her to go home to her mother. Her demeanour in court was characterised by great levity, and Mr. Sturt said he was much inclined to send her to prison. She stated that the women had sent a man named Washington to tell her she had a room to let to herself and Connelly. Mr. Sturt administered a severe rebuke to the prisoner Owens and her husband, and sentenced them to three months imprisonment each. Connelly, who, it was stated, led the other girl into crime, was discharged with a caution. The girl Brooks was sent home with her mother
29th October 1861
At the City Court yesterday Harriott Connolly and Maryanne Brooks, two young girls, who had been discharged on Saturday last on a charge of vagrancy, were again brought up, and sentenced to fourteen and Seven days' imprisonment respectively. The prisoners were found in the house of a man named Owens and his wife, a brothel of the worst description, and had abused the leniency of the Bench in the first instance extended to them.
Tuesday July 20th 1869
(Before Mr Panton, M.P)
Henry Owens, a blind old man, and Sarah Hilliard, charged with insulting behaviour, were cautioned and discharged.
Tuesday July 20 1869
(Before Mr Panton, M.P)
Henry Owens, a blind old man, and Sarah Hilliard, charged with insulting behaviour, were cautioned and discharged.
Wednesday 27th August 1879
Dr. Youl held an inquest upon the body of Henry Owens, aged 70 years, a blind beggar, who lived in a house of Little Bourke Street. Yesterday morning he was found dead in his bed. Dr Neild made a post mortem examination of the body, and desposed that death had resulted from acute peritonitis. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical testimony.
Children of Henry Owens and Sarah Hilliard
Edmund Henry Owens
Place of Birth:
Parents: Mortimer Mahoney and Ellen Ronan
Arrived in Australia aboard “Athene” 1862?
Married Margaret Keating, Warrnambool 1864 (reg 692)
Died: Colac 1924, aged 89 years. Son of Mortimer John Mahoney and Mary Unknown (cert 5065)
Spouse Death: Warrnambool 1890
Mortimer John Mahoney born Warrnambool 1865 (reg 5650) died Ballarat 1944 (reg 17894)
Alicia Mary Mahoney born Tower Hill 1867 (reg 1874) married John Dixon 1892
Alice Eileen Dixon born Warrnambool 1893 died Warrnambool 1977
Margaret Dixon born Warrnambool 1894
Ivy May Dixon born Warrnambool 1896
Olive Rita Dixon born Warrnambool 1897
John Dixon born Warrnambool 1899 died Ballarat 1975 (Council Employee)
Ellen Mahony born Warrnambool 1869 (reg 2570) married Edmund Henry Perry 12th March 1903 Died 1909
Annie May Mahoney born Nirranda 1894 (reg 31824)
Edmond Howard Raymond Perry born Carlton 1903 (reg 9161)
Oswald William Perry born Kew 1905 (reg 26953) married Annie Victoria Arnel 1934 reg. (9562)
Grace Ella Perry born Balwyn 1908 (reg 8633)
Alfred Albert Perry born Boolarra 12th march 1909 (reg 8458)
Dinah Mahony born Warrnambool 1873 (reg 6453)
Timothy Mahony born Warrnambool 1875 (reg20200) Married Ellen? Died Warracknabeal, Victoria 21st May 1919 aged 42 years (reg.9840). Beloved husband of Ellen, brother of Mr J. Mahoney (Casterton), Mrs G Dalton (Colac) and Mrs Lane (Stratham)
Honora Mahoney born Warrnambool 1878 (reg 19830)
Julia Mahony born Warrnambool 1880 (reg 25860)
Daniel Joseph Mahony born 1881 died 1914, age 41 years at Warrnambool (reg. 7787)
D E A T H S. MAHONY.-On the 25th April, 1914 at the Warrnambool Hospital, Daniel Mahony, second son of Timothy and the late Margaret Mahony of Camperdown, aged 41 years. (The funeral will leave the Hospital This Day (Monday) at Three o'clock for the Warrnambool Cemetery). ADEN J. ARMSTRONG. Undertaker.
Laurence Patrick Mahoney born 1884 (reg 450)
Margaret Marion Mahony born 1884 died Fitzroy 1939, aged 55 years (reg 2735)
Died: 1870 (reg.5905)
Buried: Tower Hill 11th May 1870
Married: Alice Ryan
Spouse death: Alice died Kirkstall 1884, aged 66 years (reg.1696)
Spouse Burial: Tower Hill 25th February 1884
Spouse’s Parents: Thomas Ryan and Hannah O’Donnell
Catherine and Margaret Keating arrived aboard “Fulwood” 1854
Honora Keating married Mr Cardie died Warragul 1912, aged 68 years (reg.3823)
Catherine Keating married Mr Wiseman died Warrnambool 1903, aged 52 years (reg.3897)
Margaret Keating born Tippinary, Ireland. Married Timothy Mahoney 1864 Died Warrnambool 1890, aged 44 years (reg.14229)
Ellen Keating married John Scarlett. Died Warragul 1930, aged 89 years (reg.11965)
Mary Keating died 20th September 1881 at Tower Hill, aged 23 years (reg. 7844)
William Henderson was born in Ireland C.1839. His parents were John and Nancey Henderson (both Farmers)
William (Bill) Henderson was a pioneering bullock teamster in Victoria in the 1800’s. In 1884 William purchased 206 acres of Land in Langwarrin (part of this property is the site of Cruden Farm) William Henderson married Elizabeth Ann Singleton on the 5th August 1861, at Lyndhurst Victoria(reg2961). William was 22 years of age, Elizabeth was 16 years. Elizabeth's father gave permission to this marriage (Robert Singleton). The family lived in the Cranbourne Frankston area.
William Henderson died 17th March 1900, aged 61 years. Buried Frankston Cemetery
Elizabeth Ann Henderson (nee Singleton) died 2nd March 1919, aged 73 years
We regret to record the death at the age of 61 years. of Mr William Henderson, of Frankston, which sad event took place on Saturday morning last at an early hour. Mr Henderson resided with his family in the Somerville district for a good many years, and it will be remembered disposed of his property there some time ago, owing to failing health. He came to reside in Frankston and seemed to improve for sometime. About three months ago, however, he began to sink rapidly, and died as stated on Saturday last. The deceased leaves a wife and several children to mourn their sad loss. The remains were interred in the Frankston cemetery on Monday last, the ceremony being conducted by the Rev W. H.Holtham, whilst the mortuary arrangements were in the hands of MrGamble.
Bill and Elizabeth had the following Children
James born Lyndhurst 1862 (reg13899)
Robert born Lyndhurst 1864 (reg21201) Died 19th December 1943
Mary Margaret born Lyndhurst 1866 (reg7690)married John Charles Dyson in 1890
Martha born Cranbourne 1868 (reg2030)married James Raymond Hartley in 1892
HARTLEY. - On the 29th October, at St.Ives private hospital, East Melbourne, the husband of Martha Hartley (nee Henderson), of Frankston), and brother of Henry J. Hartley of East St. Kilda, and William A. Hartley, of North Fitzroy, aged 65 years.
William born Cranbourne 1869 (reg1774) Died 1945
John born Cranbourne 1870 (reg22485)Died 1885
Elizabeth Ann born Cranbourne 1873 (reg1820) Married Frank Henry Wells. Elizabeth died Frankston 7th September 1935, aged 62 years
George Alexander born Cranbourne 1875 (reg15157) died 18th August 1936, aged 61 years
Annie Julia born Cranbourne 1878 (reg22021)married Charles Edward Gomm in 1899
Cristina Elizabeth born Cranbourne 1882 (reg22235) Died 13th June 1905, aged 22 years
A painfully sudden death occurred at the Frankston private hospital on Tuesday last, Mrs Christina E. Wells wife of Mr Charles R. Wells, passing away after an illness of only nine hours duration, at the early age of 22 years. The deceased was a daughter of Mrs and the late Mr William Henderson, of Cranbourne road; Frankston, and some eight months ago she was married to Mr Wells, for whom the greatest sympathy is felt in his particularly sad bereavement. The remains were interred in the Frankston cemetery on Thursday afternoon, and the large cortege testified to the sympathy existing for the sorrowing relatives. The Rev. J. T. Kearns conducted the burial service of the Methodist Church.
David Hugh born Cranbourne 1885 (reg1991)
David Henderson was a Nurseryman residing in Moorooduc, Victoria when he enlisted in World War One on the 17th August 1914. He was a Private in the 5th Battalion AIF, registration number 938. David was killed in Action on the 20th September 1917 in Belgium at the Battle of Menin road (Third Battle of Ypres, being buried Memorial Register 29, Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium. Lest we Forget.
David never married. David Henderson’s name is on the wall of the Frankston Wall of Honour.
Kate born Cranbourne 1887 (reg27610) married Francis Roger Burton. Kate died 1949
The Singleton Family
Born: C. 1792 Ireland
Spouse: Ann born C.1796
Married: Ann, Ireland C.1796
Born: C.1818 Newry, Armagh, Ireland
Married: Martha Jane Little Newry C.1839
Died: Lyndhurst Australia 8th September 1875
Buried: Cranbourne Australia 11th September 1875
Spouse Death: Jetty Road, Dromana 13th November 1895
Spouse Burial: Dromana, Australia 1895, aged 73 years (reg12963)
Robert and Martha arrived in Melbourne, aboard “Wallace, 16th February 1844
Born: 1842, England
Died: 12th December 1843 at Sea
Born: 1855 Victoria, Australia (reg3136)
Died: Victoria 1875
Born: 1863, Lyndhurst (reg7370)
Died: 1939, Castlemaine, Victoria
Born: 1843, England
Died: 25th October 1923, Dromana, Victoria
Buried: 27th October 1923, Dromana
Born: 1846, Melbourne (reg14961)
Married: William Henderson, Victoria 1861 (reg2961)
Died: Frankston, 2nd March 1919, aged 73 years
Born: 3rd April 1858, Lyndhurst, Victoria (reg6235)
Died: 28th November 1912, Dromana
Buried: 29th November 1912, Dromana
Born: 1840, Wigah lane, Lancashire, England
Died: 16th April 1908, Kew, Victoria
Born: 25th July 1847, Melbourne (reg15574)
Died: 6th December 1922, Perth, Western Australia
Buried: 7th December, 1922, Perth