TracySW on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
My 3 x great grandparents Robert SHEPHERDSON and Mary ANDERSON Immigrated to Australia on the 10 Jun 1849 to South Australia ON FLORENTINA
with five surviving children, arriving with six. Timothy child number 11 is my 2 x great grandfather.
1. Robert SHEPHERDSON was born 21 Feb 1813 in East Heslerton, Yorkshire, England and died 16 Dec 1877 in Trentham, Kynetonshire, Victoria. He married Mary ANDERSON 12 Jul 1834 in Helperthorpe, Yorkshire, England. She was born 10 Dec 1815 in Helperthorpe, Yorkshire, England and died 20 May 1867 in Trentham, Victoria Reg/No 5825, daughter of Timothy ANDERSON and Mary MILNER. He married HANNAH Ellison 02 Oct 1867 in Kyneton, Victoria, Australia. She was born 1834 in Burslem STS and died 04 Jan 1920 in Kyneton, Victoria, Australia.
Immigration: 10 Jun 1849 in South Australia ON FLORENTINA
Children of Robert SHEPHERDSON and Mary ANDERSON:
1. Elizabeth Shepherdson was born 20 Jun 1835 in Helperthorpe, Yorkshire, England and died 1835
2. Anderson Timothy Shepherdson was born 1836 in Yorkshire, England and died 24 Nov 1904 in Adelaide, SA, Australia
3. Elizabeth Shepherdson was born 05 Aug 1838 in Helperthorpe, Yorkshire, England and died 1867
4. Ann Shepherdson was born 1840 in Helperthorpe, Yorkshire, England
5. Charlotte Shepherdson was born 1843 in Helperthorpe, Yorkshire, England and died 1843
6. Charlotte Shepherdson was born 1844 in Helperthorpe, Yorkshire, England and died 1936
7. George William John Shepherdson was born 02 Feb 1846 in Helperthorpe, Yorkshire, England and died 04 Jun 1911 in Kyneton,
8. Mary Shepherdson was born 1848 in Helperthorpe, Yorkshire, England and died 1848 in Helperthorpe, Yorkshire, England
9. Mary Florentina Shepherdson was born May 1849 in At Sea on the Florentina and died 1934 in Helperthorpe, Yorkshire, England
10. Jane Shepherdson was born 04 Dec 1851 in Adelaide, South Australia and died 1851
11. Timothy Anderson SHEPHERDSON was born 14 Aug 1852 in Nairn, Adelaide, South Australia and died 26 Aug 1918 in Narribri, NSW, Australia
12. Hannah Shepherdson was born 07 Apr 1856 in Wesley Vale Mount Barker South Australia and died 1888
Children of Robert SHEPHERDSON and HANNAH Ellison:
13. Robert Ellison Shepherdson was born 1868 in Kyneton, Victoria, Australia and died 1920 in Maryborough, Victoria
14. John William Shepherdson was born 1869 in Kyneton, Victoria, Australia and died 1870 in Kyneton, Victoria, Australia
15. William Mountford Shepherdson was born 1871 in Spring Hill, Victoria, Australia
16. John Banks Shepherdson was born 1871 in Spring Hill, Victoria, Australia and died 1874 in Tylden, Victoria, Australia
17. Samuel James Shepherdson was born 1873 in Tylden, Victoria, Australia and died 1874 in Kyneton, Victoria, Australia
If anyone could visit the Euroa Cemetery for me would be great. I am looking for Robert Beaton b. 1854 Euroa, Victoria, Australia
d. 21 Oct 1882 in Benalla, Victoria buried at the Euroa cemetery, somewhere in my pile of papers I have a plot number, I can find it if needed.
Edward GRIMSHAW was born 1559 and died 22 Jun 1635. He married Isabell ESIBELL . She died 1641 in Rawdon. He married Dorothy Dorotyte 17 Aug 1602. She was born ABT 1575 in Rawdon, Yorkshire, England.
Abraham GRIMSHAW was born 05 Jun 1603 in Rawdon, Yorkshire, England and died 03 Mar 1670 in Rawdon, Yorkshire, England. He married Sarah COLLIER 1650. She died 1695
Jeremiah GRIMSHAW was born 1653 in Rawdon, Yorkshire, England and died 12 Aug 1721 in Rawdon, Yorkshire, England. He married Rebecca Jowett. She died 12 Dec 1736. He married Sarah Overend. She died 16 May 1699. He married Mary STOCKTON. She was born ABT 1653 and died 1693 in Kirkby Moorside, Yorkshire, England.
Joshua GRIMSHAW was born 12 Apr 1687 in Farndale, Yorkshire, England and died 08 Jan 1764 in Farndale, Yorkshire, England. He married Jane ODDY 02 Mar 1711 in Dacre, Yorkshire. She was born ABT 1687 in Farndale, Yorkshire, England and died 04 Nov 1771.
Sarah GRIMSHAW was born 25 Mar 1716 in Farndale, Yorkshire, England and died 02 Jul 1787. She married William SHEPHERDSON 1759. He was born 1710 in Farndale, Yorkshire, England.
Mercy SHEPHERDSON was born 17 Dec 1754 and died 09 Jan 1810. She married John Thos Ward. 04 Dec 1783 in Hutton In The Hole, York, England. He was born 1732 in Farndale, Yorkshire, England and died 12 Apr 1797 in Kirbymoorside, Yorkshire, England, son of Thomas Ward. and Anne Bottom.
John WARD was born 27 Jul 1788 in Guisborough, Yorkshire and died 1886 in Appleton-Le-Moor, Yorkshire, England. He married Jane HERVEY 24 Mar 1810 in All Saints, Kirkbymoorside. She was born 12 Nov 1788 in Skelton, Yorkshire, England, daughter of Joseph HERVEY and Hannah UNKNOWN.
My six times great grandmother Mary WHARTON was born in 1707 ? and died in Wintringham, Yorkshire 1786. He parents were John WHARTON and Elizabeth DRING both born around 1690s.
Mary married George Shepherdson 1738 West Helsterton, Yorkshire, England. Both died in Wintringham
I recently purchased a copy of the Wintrigham Parish Registers 1558 - 1812 Wharton is spelt a few different ways; Whorton, warton, worton.
If anyone would like me to look up anything from this parish just ask.
There are some interesting spelling variances on a lot of surnames, not to mention the months and other words like chayld (child). Trying to fathom the years is feat in itself as the year is shown as "in the sixth reign of our sovereign" etc you have to work out the king or queen of that period.
My great great great grandmother Ellen PARISH born 1834 in Devon to Joseph Parish and Loveday Spear. She came out to Australia on the 19 AUG 1853 per ship LADY KENNAWAY with her sister Elizabeth PARISH who later returned to England.
Ellen married Bruce Laythorne in 1853 who was also from Devon, he was killed in a mining earth fall at Raglan Victoria in 1859. They had 3 children.
In 1861 Ellen remarried William Milkins my gt gt gt grandfather in 1861, they had 4 children. I have no idea what happened to William as no death record has been found.
Ellen remarried again to Thomas Tinsley, He died in 1903 and Ellen died in 1913 aged 79
Elizabeth Norman was born c 1822, christened 13 Oct 1822 Church of England, St. Mary the Virgin, Ware, Hertfordshire, England.
She was the daughter of Ezekiel Norman and Mary Radley who were married 24th June 1821 Church of England, St. Mary The Virgin, Ware Hertfordshire, England. She died 13 June 1905 Victoria Australia
Transported for stealing a shawl. Tried at Hertford QS. 14 October 1844 - 7 years. arrived Tasmania 4 July 1845.
She had a child in servitude in 1847 names Julia.
Elizabeth married James Lawson (also a convict) in 1850 in Tasmania. They had 4 children
My gt gt gt grandmother Mary LISTER's death record in 1906 has her maiden name as Lister but her birth record 1825 Barugh, Kirby Misperton, Yorkshire, England has her and her family name as LIDSTER.
She married William WARD 1843 in Kirby Misperton, Yorkshire, William was born 1821 Spaunton,Yorkshire. They had two daughters Jane Anne and Margaret born in Pickering, Yorkshire before they immigrated to Australia in 1853 on the Marian Moore. They had 6 more children in Euroa, Victoria where they settled on arriving in Australia.
Mary's parents are Thomas LIDSTER b.c1795 and Ann ? b.1800
William's parents are John WARD and Jane HERVEY b.1788 Skelton, Yorkshire.
Jane Anne WARD, my gt gt grandmother married Timothy SHEPHERDSON in 1869 Victoria, Australia, what I found interesing recently is that Janes great grandmothers name was Mercy SHEPHERDSON also from Yorkshire. Timothy's father Robert SHEPHERDSON was from Yorkshire, but I have no Mercy mentioned down his line (yet)
Anyone with any information on the family would be appreciated.
P.S. I have since found Mercy Shepherdson's ancestor was Edward Grimshaw 1559 - 1635 married to Dorothy Raner 1575 - 1602 both were involved with the Quaker movement.
My great great great grandparents William BEATON and Mary THOMSON along with William's sister Isabella BEATON , set off from Scotland to Australia in 1841 on the barque India finishing their journey on the barque Grindlay; the following is a condensed story of the trip taken from a newspaper article in 1841.
INDIA - Lost at Sea 1841
The barque INDIA sailed from Greenock Scotland on June 4th 1841 carrying 193 bounty immigrants and crew bound for the Australian colony of Port Phillip. On the 19th July, six weeks into the voyage and being some 200 miles from land and 1200 miles from Rio de Janeiro, the ship caught fire and sank. 17 Souls perished in the disaster with the remainder being rescued by the crew of the ROLAND - a French whaling vessel that saw the smoke in the distance and knew right away it was a ship in danger so they headed for it.
The survivors were conveyed to the nearest port Rio de Janeiro where they waited for the British Government to send another ship, the GRINDLAY to transport them to Port Phillip where they arrived on October 22, some four and a half months after leaving Scotland. Newspaper reports of the day provided a graphic description of the tragedy and the miraculous rescue of almost all those on board the INDIA.
Recently I went to a family reunion in Victoria and met quite a few of the descendants of William & Mary and Isabella, there were also descendants from some of their other sibling who came out to Australia years later. One story I heard was that William was a prize fighter in Scotland and onboard the ship wore a money belt which contained all his finances. The passengers were recommended to discard their money belts by the captain of the ship as they would act like anchors and weigh them down and they would drown (imagine how much money it would take to weigh you down....)
As seemed to be the usual case, there were not enough lifeboats so the men had to swim it. One gentleman refused to take off his money belt and struggled to stay afloat, my ancestor William helped him to the side of a lifeboat, the gentleman being ever so thankful, rewarded William with money and employment when they arrived in Victoria.
Paul MILKINS 1801 - 1877
Brown Hair, Grey eyes, 5ft 6 inches, 134 Pounds, Fair Complexion
Convict: Tried on 3rd April 1824 convicted at the Lent Assizes in Taunton of burglary. He was
sentenced to hang but this was commuted to transportation for life. Arrival in Van Diemans Land 9 Jul 1824 on the Princess
His parents were William MILKINS 1777 - 1828 and Betty White
Paul married Jane Walsh b.1805 Cork, Ireland. They had 3 children, Elizabeth, William and Nicholas, a fourth child James was born in Victoria.
More Information available
George Attard born 1906, d.1975 in Melbourne Australia. Married Stella Evangeline LAWSON 19 1932 in Victoria.
His parents are John and Mary ATTARD