William RADCLIFFE - Liverpool - Masterton
Do you have any information on the Radcliffes of the Wairarapa please.
Mainly the spouses of these Radcliffes:
WILLIAM RADCLIFFE Liverpool to NZ
Some were born in the Wairarapa, some in the Hutt.
William RADCLIFFE was born 18 July 1857 in Liverpool
he married Amelia "Minnie" BRAY 11 Jan 1892 in Masterton
WILLIAM died in Petone 13 Feb 1935 & buried in Karori
I still do not know the ships on which he or wife Minnie emigrated on.
Thanks to all who helped me find all the children
- they were:
1891 - 1979 Olive Dora Radcliffe
- born 22 June 1891 in Masterton
- husband not yet found
- she died 22 July 1979 in Silverstream Hospital, Lower Hutt
- buried in Karori cemetery
1892 - 1943 Minnie Louisa Radcliffe
- born 25 Dec (Xmas Day) 1892 in Martinborough
- Minnie married Søren 'Samuel' ROIGARD (1870-1946) in 1943 (before April)
- Søren lived in Mauriceville, Wairarapa in the early 1900s
- the 6 children of Minnie (kindly provided by Pauline below):
* 1910 - Clifford Samuel Roigard (born 24 Aug 1910 as Roigard)
* 1912 - Ella Mavis Roigard (born 2 November 1912)
* 1913 - Gladys Evelyn Roigard (born 11 December 1913)
* 1915 - 1987 Richard 'Dick' Roigard
* 1919 - 2001 Kenneth Mervyn Roigard
- In Sep 1939 Kenneth Mervyn Roigard enlisted for war at the Hutt Valley recruiting Office in Petone. In June 1941 Kenneth was missing in war, his next of kin was his father, S. Roigard of Mauriceville. In Nov 1941 Kenneth was a Prisoner Of War, his next of kin was his father S. Roigard, c/o Mrs C. Smith, Rangiwahia (23km west of Ohingaiti, north Manawatu). In March 1945 he was reported safe in Odessa, his next of kin was his father S. Roigard of West Street, Greytown. In Oct 1945 he returned from war on the 'Dominion Monarch' to Whiteman's Valley, Upper Hutt
* 1924 - 2006 Pearl Yvonne Kempton/Roigard
- born 6th Oct 1924 to George Walter Kempton (born 1864 Greytown - died 1930 Carterton) & Minnie Radcliffe (they did not marry).
* George Walter Kempton had married Alice GRAY (1863-1931) in 1885, had 2 children & separated.
* George Walter Kempton & Alice Amelia PRICE (1885-1961 fomerly FARMER) lived together for a number of years, had 2 children & separated.
* George Walter Kempton & Minnie Louisa Radcliffe lived together, had at least one daughter, Pearl 'Paula' as above & separated before 1943
- Pearl's name was Roigard in at least 1933 when she was 8 and lived in Masterton. She was living in the Hutt by 1936. She was at the Hutt Valley Memorial Technical College in 1938. She married in 1944 to Alexander McHATTIE (1920-2007), buried Masterton
MINNIE died 30 April 1943 in Wellington Hospital aged 51
30 April 1943 The Friends of Mr Samuel Roigard are respectfully invited to attend the Funeral of his late beloved wife, Minnie Louisa, which will leave the Salvation Army hall, Sydney St., Petone, on Saturday, May 1, 1943, at the conclusion of a Service commencing at 2.15 p.m., for the Karori Cemetery.
30 April 1945 In loving memory of mother, who passed away April 30, 1943
Always in our thoughts.
- Inserted by son and daughter-in-law, Dick (overseas) and Violet
1895 - 1933 Annie Elizabeth 'Nancy' Radcliffe
- born 29 June 1895 in Martinborough, Wairarapa
- married Henry Prout ROBERTS in 1916
ANNIE died 10 May 1933 in Petone, Wellington
- buried in Karori cemetery
1897 - 1916 William 'Willie' Holditch Radcliffe
- born 25 Sep 1897 in Masterton
SERVICE NUMBER - 24/2078
NEXT OF KIN: William & Minnie Radcliffe 59 Esplanade, Petone
RIFLEMAN, NEW ZEALAND RIFLE BRIGADE
EMBARKMENT UNIT: 4th REINFORCEMENTS 2nd BATTALION, F COMPANY
EMBARKMENT DATE: 4th March 1916
PLACE OF EMBARKMENT: Wellington, New Zealand
VESSEL: Willochra or Tofua
TRANSPORT: HMNZT 47 or 48
LAST UNIT SERVED - New Zealand Rifle Brigade
- KILLED IN ACTION Somme, France 13 Sep 1916
MEMORIAL: Caterpillar Valley (New Zealand) MEMORIAL
WAIRARAPA DAILY TIMES, 7 Nov 1919
RADCLIFFE, In sad but loving memory of my dear brother, Rifleman William Holditch Radcliffe, 24/2078, C Company, 4th Battalion, N.Z.R.B., who was killed in action in France, September 15th, 1916 aged 19 years
...His country called and he answered
...As all good and willing boys did.
...Now when we see old familiar faces returning,
...And our dear little Willie returns no more.
...Oh, no one knows the pain we bear,
...And how our hearts still ache,
...For God and His loved angels
...Have gained what we have lost.
...How sweet your memory still,
...Your loving ways and smiling face are pleasant to recall,
...But there's nothing left to answer now,
...Only your treasured photo on the wall.
- Inserted by his loving Sister, MINNIE ROIGARD
1899 - 1908 Percy Clifford Radcliffe
- born 13 Sep 1899 in Kuripuni, Masterton
- he died 14 May 1908 aged 9 in Mauriceville
1902 - 1997 Florence Frances Darlington 'Florrie' Radcliffe
- born 29 March 1902 in Mauriceville
- married Carl Edward LARSEN in 1921
- she died 14 March 1997 aged 94
1903 - 1993 Clarice Evelyn Blundell Radcliffe
- born 10 Dec 1903 in Mauriceville
- married Alfred Reuben BUCKLAND (1893-1958) in 1926
CLARICE died aged 90
1907 - ? Gladys Darlington Radcliffe
- born 6 April 1907 in Mauriceville
- nothing else known
1909 - 1980 Darrell Clifford Radcliffe
- born 12 Dec 1909 in Lower Hutt
- died 20 Aug 1980 in Ngawhatu Hospital, Nelson
1911 - 1988 Percival Henry Fowler 'Val' Radcliffe
- born 2 Oct 1911 in Lower Hutt
- he died 16 Dec 1988 in Wanganui
- buried Aramoho cemetery
1913 - 1997 Amelia 'Milly' Radcliffe
- born 9 Oct 1913 in Lower Hutt
MILLY died 6 Aug 1887 in Aroha Rest Home, Taita, Lower Hutt
- buried Karori cemetery
more information would be appreciated ...
Grave of MINNIE LOUISA ROIGARD at Karori