Wedding of James Martin DAWSON + Janet Beatrice SHURY
James Martin DAWSON (1867-1952)
was born in Tokomairiro, Otago 11th of 12 children of Benjamin DAWSON (Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire 1827-1907) & Hannah HURREN (1830-1890) who arrived into Port Chalmers 6 Oct 1853 on the Rajah with 2 children, Henry William (1849-1909) & Mary Honour (1852-1930). Banjamin & Hannah were farmers in Waihola, Otago & later he was the stationmaster at Ravensbourne. They are buried Southern Cemetery, Dunedin
Janet Beatrice SHURY (1875-1962)
was born in Ashburton, 9th of 10 children of Augustus Hutton SHURY (London 1833-1915) & Janet CHAPMAN (1843-1884). Janet's paternal grandfather was George William Shury, Headmaster of Great Ealing School which was founded in 1698 by the Rev Richard Badcock Shury, rector of Perivale, (whose son-in-law the Rev David Nicholas became headmaster in 1791 & HIS sons, the Rev George Nicholas, who left in 1837, and the Rev Francis Nicholas, spent large sums of money on buildings). Janet's father, Augustus Shury arrived in Dunedin in Nov 1860 after spending 9 years in Victoria, Australia. He was the manager of the Union Bank in Ashburton for 20 years
JAMES & JANET married in 1904
Ashburton Guardian, 1 June 1904
ORANGE BLOSSOMS, DAWSON-SHURY
A wedding of no little interest to Ashburtonites took place this afternoon, the contracting parties being Mr James Martin Dawson, of Dannevirke (formerly of the Bank of New Zealand, Ashburton) and Miss Janet Beatrice Shury, youngest daughter of Mr A. H. Shury, of this town.
The ceremony took place at St Stephen's church, which had been profusely and beautifully decorated with evergreens, flowers, wedding bells and hearts by the lady friends of the bride, the Rev E. Whitehouse being the officiating clergyman.
The bride, who was led to the altar by her father, looked very becoming in a costume of broche silk, trimmed with chiffon and d'alenecen lace, and ruchings of true lovers knots, wearing a veil with coronet of orange blossoms, caught up by a diamond ring, She carried a handsome shower bouquet of uncommon and beautiful lilies, with hand painted streamers, the initials of the contracting parties being worked in at either end in a unique and artistic manner by lady friends of the bride. The bride also wore a gold bamboo bangle, the gift of the bridegroom.
Miss Bell, the chief bridesmaid, was attired in a costume of crepe de chene, over pink and laciniolate silk, Paris hat to correspond, with pink and green trimmings. She also wore a greenstone heart pendant, and carried an exquisitely pretty shower bouquet, the gift of the bridegroom
Miss Hart, the other bridesmaid, was dressed in white silk, with Paris lace, and soft white hat to match. The lady wore a pearl pendant necklace, the gift of the bridegroom, and also carried a shower bouquet, nicely arranged.
The best man and groomsmen were Mr J. R. Friedlander and Master Bob Hart, respectively. (16 year old Robert Hutton Hart, son of her sister Helen Grace Shury & Robert William Hart)
As the happy couple left the church, a Wedding March was played in an accomplished manner by Mr Clarence Turner, brother-in-law of the bride. (Her sister Augusta Shury married Clarence Frederic Turner in 1899)
The wedding party was comprised of about 200 guests, among whom were noticeable, Mesdames Hart (Winchmore), Allen, J. Davidson, Turner, Bell, Misses Gresson and Winter, and other prominent ladies of this county.
After the ceremony, which was performed at 2.30. the wedding party were received at Mr Shury's private rooms, at the Somerset Hotel, where afternoon tea was dispensed. Toasts usual on such festive occasions, were proposed and duly honored.
Mr and Mrs Dawson left by the Mount Somers train for Mount Somers, where they will spend a short stay, and then proceed to Dannevirke, in which town they will make their future home. The bride's travelling dress was a smart tailor made dress of blue cloth, with a pretty blue French sailor hat to match.
The presents, numbering over two hundred, included silver and gold ware, articles of furniture, fancy work, wood carvings, ornamental glassware, paintings, cheques, etc., proving that the bride is highly respected and esteemed by a large circle of friends.
We take this opportunity of joining in wishing Mr and Mrs Dawson success and happiness in their new sphere of life
the children of JAMES & JANET Dawson
(others will be added if any found)
1905 - 1905 Hurren Dawson
- born in Dannevirke, Hurren died aged 16 hours
- buried Grave 72, Block F at Settlers Cemetery, Dannevirke
1910 - 1985 Hurren Martin Stanhope Dawson
taken from Addington Raceway Timeline
... A man recognised for his role in guiding the Anglican Church, Christ's College, and the Metropolitan Trotting Club has died after a long illness.
Mr Hurren Martin Stanhope Dawson, 74, was educated at Christ's College and Canterbury University. He graduated with an LLB and remained in practice as a solicitor in Christchurch for the rest of his life.
A keen sportsman he played for the Canterbury B Rugby team and achieved two New Zealand University blues in shotput and the javelin. He later turned his hand to golf and bowls, with equal success.
He was appointed a steward of the New Zealand Metropolitan Trotting Club in 1963, became a committee man five years later and was made a life member in 1981.
He was a director of Addington Raceway Ltd from 1967-85 and made a life member of the other two contributing Clubs - the New Brighton and Canterbury Park Trotting Clubs - in 1980 and 1981.
Mr Dawson is survived by two sons and two daughters.
In 1915 (death of Janet's father) they were living in Lower Hutt
James Martin Dawson died 27 July 1952 aged 85
Janet Beatrice Dawson died 12 August 1962 aged 86
there burial not yet found
There is a James Hurren Martin Dawson who was a First-class Cricketer (Right-arm fast-medium) for Canterbury playing 11 first-class matches from 1957-1963. He was born 28 Oct 1938 in Christchurch
Plot 119, Block 5P at Southern Cemetery, Dunedin
James's parents Benjamin & Hannah Dawson