<< Previous - Next >>

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN CEMETERIES

Journal by ngairedith

taken from Western Australia Cemeteries
* each cemetery has a link to a list of names or a searchable database
* WARNING may contain names and images of deceased Aboriginal people

* AGNEW Cemetery, Leinster
LEINSTER, is a town in the northern goldfields area, situated 4km east of the Goldfields Highway, in the Shire of Leonora local government area, 968km (601 miles) NE of Perth. In the 2006 census, Leinster had a population of 732

* ALBANY MEMORIAL Cemetery
* Albany Memorial Park Cemetery, although not the earliest cemetery, was opened in 1840 to meet the demands of a growing community and operated until 1959 when the new Allambie Park Cemetery was brought into use. However, burials took place until 2000 and ashes were placed there until 2009.
* ALBANY Cemetery INDEX

ALBANY, is a port city in the Great Southern region, 418km SE of Perth. At the 2011 census Albany's population was 33,650

* ALLAMBIE PARK Cemetery Lower King Road, Oyster Harbour, Albany
* You can search the database to find information about Burials and Cremations at Allambie Park Cemetery. Our database contains the Name, Application Number, Age, Date of Death & Location of every burial and cremation in the Allambie Park Cemetery. Burial records from Memorial Park Cemetery, located on Middleton Road, can be obtained, for a fee, from the Albany Regional Family History Society
* ALLAMBIE LIST of NAMES transcribed by Lorraine Larment

* ARTHUR RIVER Cemetery
* ARTHUR RIVER Anglican List
ARTHUR RIVER is a small town in the Wheatbelt, between Williams and Kojonup on Albany Highway. Following the introduction of convicts in WA labour to the Swan River Colony in the early 1850s, the road from Perth to Albany was completed and a number of small settlements sprang up along it to support pastoralists who had been granted grazing leases as early as 1854

* ARRINO Cemetery (16 names)
ARRINO is located between Mingenew and Three Springs, 366km N of Perth. In 2006 the population was 163

* AUGUSTA PIONEERS Cemetery
AUGUSTA The first recorded sighting of the south-west coast of Western Australia was by the "Leeuwin" (meaning Lioness) in 1622. Cape Leeuwin, so named by Matthew Flinders when he arrived here aboard HMS Investigator on the 6th December 1801, to begin his epic circumnavigation of Australia. Cape Leeuwin is where the Indian and Southern Oceans meet. The name Augusta was chosen for Princess Augusta, the daughter of George III of England. Augusta us 310km S of Perth & in the 2006 the population was 1,068

* AUSTRALIND Searchable Database (includes Cookernup & Harvey)
* AUSTRALIND PIONEER LIST (Mount Claremont Cemetery, first burial 1842)
AUSTRALIND 157km S of Perth, is a satellite town of Bunbury. The name Australind is a combination of Australia and India, which was chosen due to the belief that the area could be used for breeding horses for the British Indian Army, as was later achieved in Cervantes, Northampton and Madura. In 2006 the population was 8,717

* BADGINGARRA Cemetery (8 names)
BADGINGARRA is a small town in the Wheatbelt, 205km N of Perth in the Shire of Dandaragan. "Badgingarra" is an Indigenous Australian word said to mean "water by the manna gums"

* Balbarrup

* Balbarrup Pioneers

* Ballidu

* Bassendean

* Beacon

* Bencubbin

* Beverley

* Bindoon

* Black Flag

* Bluewater

* Boddington

* Bolgart

* Boorabbin

* Boscabel

* Bootenal

* BOULDER Cemetery
* BOULDER LIST (partial)
* BOULDER - Old Graves
BOULDER, adjacent to Kalgoorlie, was gazetted in 1896. It is named after a gold mining lease called "The Great Boulder". Boulder was a town in the Western Australian goldfields 595km (370 miles) east of Perth and bordering onto the town of Kalgoorlie in the Eastern Goldfields region.
Until 1989 it was part of its own municipality. In 1989 the towns of Kalgoorlie and Boulder were merged to form the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder. After the merger Boulder officially became a suburb of Kalgoorlie.

* Boyup Brook

* Boyanup

* Bremer Bay

* BRIDGETOWN Cemetery
* BRIDGETOWN PIONEER Cemetery
BRIDGETOWN, established in 1868, is 270km S of Perth, on the Blackwood River at the intersection of South Western Highway with Brockman Highway to Nannup and Augusta. The area was previously known as Geegelup, which was believed to mean "place of gilgies" in the Noongar Aboriginal language, referring to the fresh water crustaceans. However, recently discovered research made available through the Bridgetown Tourist Centre suggests the actual meaning of Geegelup may be "place of spears". The population is approx. 2,300

* Broadarrow

* Brookton

* Broome Pioneer

* Broomehill

* Bruce Rock

* Bullfinch

* Bulong

* Bunbury Cemetery

* Burtville

* BUSSELTON Cemetery
* BUSSELTON PIONEERS Cemetery
* BUSSELTON JETTY Cemetery
BUSSELTON, one of the earliest settlements in Western Australia, was founded in 1832 by the Bussell family, is situated 220km SW of Perth. The name of Busselton was first officially used in June 1835. The Bussells, who were not consulted about the name, preferred the name Capel after a relative in England, Capel Carter Brockman (18391924), daughter of John Bussell (18031875), who was named after a Miss Capel Carter, a cousin of the Bussells in England with whom Bussell family members corresponded, but the name Busselton was retained. A town named Capel was later established to the north of Busselton

Calingiri

Capel

Carnarvon

Cervantes

Chittering

Chowerup

Collie

Cookernup

Coolgardie

Coral Bay

Corrigin

Cossack

Cowaramup

Cowcowing

Cranbrook Cemetery

Cuballing

Cue

Culham

Cunderdin

Dalwallinu

Dandaragan

Dardanup

Darkan

Denham

Denmark

Dinninup

* DONGARA cemetery
* DOMINICAN Cemetery Dongara
* Dongara-Irwin LONELY GRAVES
DONGARA, 65km south of Geraldton & 350km NW of Perth, is an anglicised rendition of Thung-arra, the local Wattandee people's name for the estuary adjacent to the town, meaning 'sea lion place'

Donnybrook

Doodenanning - Quairading

Dowerin

Drakesbrook

Dudinin

Dumbleyung (Nippering)

Dunsborough

Dwellingup

East Perth

East Rockingham

Edwards Crossing - St Paul's

Esperance

Eticup

Exmouth

Fairbridge

Fields End

Frankland Cemetery

FREMANTLE SEARCHABLE Cemetery
FREMANTLE Partial LIST
FREMANTLE was considered as a site for possible British settlement in 1827 when Captain James Stirling, in HMS Success, explored the coastal areas near the Swan River. His favourable report was welcomed by the British Government, who had for some time been suspicious of French colonial intentions towards the western portion of Australia. As a result of Stirling's report, Captain Charles Howe Fremantle of HMS Challenger, a 603 ton, 28-gun frigate, was instructed to sail to the west coast of Australia to establish a settlement. On 2 May 1829 Fremantle hoisted the Union Flag in a bay near what is now known as Arthur Head & became the first area settled by the Swan River colonists. It was declared a city in 1929 and in 2006 had a population of 24,835 (62% Australian born)

* GASCOYNE JUNCTION Cemetery (7 names)
GASCOYNE JUNCTION is a small town inland from Carnarvon on the junction of the Gascoyne & Lyons Rivers. A police station was built in about 1897 and settlers asked the Government to declare a townsite. By 1909, a general store and other buildings had been erected on private land and in 1912 the Government finally acceded to the request, naming the town "Killili" after a local Aboriginal word meaning "bullrush" following the Surveyor General's request for a "euphonious native name". For many years, the police station, road board (1912) and hotel were the only buildings in the area and in 1938 the Roads Board complained about the name, saying that "Gascoyne Junction" and "The Junction" were the names in common use and asking the Lands Department to "expunge" the name of Killili. The name was changed and gazetted in 1939. In 2006 the population was 149

* GERALDTON Cemetery
* GERALDTON PIONEER PARK (Apex) Cemetery
GERALDTON is a city in the Mid West region, located 424km N of Perth. In 2012 the population was 38,030

Gilgering

Gingin

Glen Tromie

Gnowangerup

Goomalling

Grass Patch

Greenbushes

Green Hills (Shire of York)

* GREENOUGH PIONEER Cemetery (first recorded burial 1853)
* GREENOUGH Pioneer PHOTO LIST
* GREENOUGH LIST of names
GREENOUGH is a historical town 400km N of Perth, 24km S of Geraldton. A series of disasters starting with a major cyclone in 1872 and major flooding in 1888 as well as the discovery of gold in the goldfields caused the gradual decline and abandonment of the settlement so that by 1900 most of the settlers had left the area with many of the small farmlets converted to grazing. The town fell into disrepair until a tourism-based project in the 1980s helped refurbish many of the buildings

* GUILDFORD Cemetery LIST
GUILDFORD, a suburb of Perth, 13km NE of the city, was established in 1829 on the Swan River, being sited near a permanent fresh water supply

Gullewa

Gwalia

Halls Creek (Old) - partial

Hamelin Bay

Harrismith

Harvey

Harvey

Henley Brook

Hines Hill

Hopetoun

Jarrahdale

Jerramungup

Jimperding

Jurien Bay

Kalbarri

* The KALGOORLIE-BOULDER Cemetery provides a comprehensive search service to locate burial records in the Eastern Goldfields region. The first "official" burial took place in Kalgoorlie in 1896, with "unofficial" burials taking place in 1894 - 1895. There are more than 20,000 burials recorded to present. A card index has been compiled for the Kalgoorlie Cemetery, as well as several abandoned cemeteries in the Eastern Goldfields. Although information varies between individual registers, the basic information given in most cases is: Name & Age of Deceased, Date & Place of Burial, Religious Denomination, Officiating Minister & Undertaker. Where a headstone can be transcribed, there may be further family information. Grave location maps are provided where possible
* KALGOORLIE LIST of names
KALGOORLIE, now known as Kalgoorlie-Boulder, is a town in the Goldfields-Esperance region, 595km ENE of Perth. Well known for its 'Super-Pit' a 24/7, open-cut gold mine approx 3.6km (1 mile) long, 1.6km wide and 512 metres (1,680 ft) deep

Kambalda Pioneers

Kanowna

Karrakatta Cemetery

Karratha

Karridale

* KATANNING Cemetery
KATANNING, 277KM SE of Perth, is thought to be a local aboriginal word that is either 'Kart-annin' that literally means "meeting place of the heads of tribes", or 'Kartanup' that means "clear pool of sweet water". Others suggest that the place is named after a local aboriginal woman. In 2006 the population was 3,808

Katrine, St Saviour's

Kellerberrin

Kelmscott

Kenwick

Kendenup

* KOJONUP Cemetery
KOJONUP, is 256km SE of Perth. The name Kojonup is believed to refer to the "Kodja" or stone axe made by Indigenous Australians from the local stone. The first European in the area was surveyor Alfred Hillman who arrived in 1837 and had been guided to "Kojonup Spring" by the local Aboriginals. The site was an important staging place on the road to Albany, and in 1837 a military post was established there for the protection of travellers and the mail
ROAD NAME CHANGE - FORD LANE, formerly Angle Road. On Tuesday 16 Oct 2012, Council considered an item for the proposed road name change of Angle Road to Ford lane within the Shire of Kojonup. The Council wishes to advise this road name change has now been approved by Landgate
* Thomas Henry Ford, #4655, was born in Katanning (40km W of Kojonup), was a farmer of Millmerran, Queensland, enlisted from Toowoomba, served with the 31st Battalion (Infantry) in WWI and was killed at Belgium 26 Sep 1917 (his family was of Katanning - see that Cemetery above)

Kondinin

Kookynie

Koorda

Korrelocking

Kukerin

Kulin

Kununoppin

Kwolyin

Lake Austin

Lake Darlot

Lake Grace

Lake King

Lake Navorino

Laverton

Lawnswood Cemetery, Clackline

Lennonville

Lawlers

Leonora

Lonely Graves

Lowden

Lynton

Mandurah

Manjimup

Marble Bar

Margaret River

Marradong

Marriott Farm Cemetery

Marvel Loch

Meckering

Meekatharra

Menzies

Merredin

Metricup

Middle Swan

Midland Cemetery

Midwest Burials
The Midwest Region includes the Shires of Carnamah, Chapman Valley, Coorow, Cue, Greenough, Irwin, Meekatharra, Mingenew, Morawa, Mount Magnet, Mullewa, Murchison, Northampton, Perenjori, Sandstone, Three Springs, Wiluna, Yalgoo & City of Geraldton. The 'Death Register' is officially a record of Midwest Burial, Cremations & Memorials since 1890 of Northampton, Geraldton (Apex Park), Utakarra, Greenough, Irwin and is provided by the Geraldton Family History Society

Miling

Mingenew

Minnivale

Moora

Moorine Rock

Morawa

Mount Barker

Mount Magnet, 573km NE of Perth, is an old Western Australian gold rush town. The name was chosen during exploration of the region due to an isolated hill 5km NW of the town. This hill has an extremely high iron content and affected the compasses of explorers. At the 2006 census, Mount Magnet had a population of 424
* Mount MAGNET Cemetery

Mourambine Cemetery, Narrogin

Mukinbudin

Mullewa

Mundaring

Munglinup

Muradup

Murchison House Station

Nabawa

Nannine

Nannup

Nardie

Narembeen

Narrogin

New Norcia

Newdegate

Newman

Nippering (Dumbleyung)

Norseman

Northam

Northampton

Northcliffe

Nullagine

Nungarin

Nungarra

Nyabing

Ongerup

Onslow

Ora Banda

Paddington

Paynes Find

Paynesville

Pemberton

Perenjori

Picton

Pinnaroo

Pindellup

Pingaring

Pingelly Cemetery, Narrogin

Pingrup

Pinjarra

Pintharuka

Popanyinning Cemetery
Narrogin

Port Hedland

Pretty Gully Road

Quairading

Quindanning

Ravensthorpe

Rockingham

Rocky Gully

Roebourne

Rothsay

Salmon Gums

Sandstone

Serpentine

Siberia

South Caroling

Southern Cross

Springhill

St Werburgh's

Tambellup

Tammin

Tenterden Cemetery

Three Springs

Toodyay

Toolibin

Trayning

Urch Street Cemetery

Utakarra, Geraldton

Wagin

Walebing

Walkaway

Walpole

Wandering Cemetery, Narrogin

Wannamal

Watheroo

Westonia

Wickepin Cemetery, Narrogin

Widgiemooltha

Williams

Willowbrook

Wiluna

Winchester

Wittenoom

Wongan Hills

Woodanilling

Wooroloo

Wubin

Wyalkatchem

Wyndham Pioneer

Yalgoo

Yandanooka

Yealering

* YELBENI cemetery
Yelbeni is a small settlement between Wyalkatchem & Trayning, 222km ENE of Perth. Surveyed and gazetted in 1912 as a result of the construction of the Dowerin to Merredin rail line, Yelbeni is named after the nearby watering hole, Yelbene Well, but its meaning is unknown. When the townsite was planned the name was spelt Yelbene, later changed to reflect rules regarding pronunciation of Aboriginal words

Yerriminup Cemetery Mount Barker
* a town on the Albany Highway in the Shire of Plantagenet in the Great Southern region. A small cemetery doubles as a historical reference for the region. The chapel is now a tourist drawcard and still operates a regular service

York

* YOUANIMI Cemetery
YOUANIMI, is an abandoned town in the Murchison Region, 500km NW of Perth. Gold was discovered at Youanmi in 1894 or 1895 by prospector Tom Payne. On Christmas Eve, 1929 Arthur Upfield met Snowy Rowles at Youanmi, after the latter had just murdered James Ryan and George Lloyd, in a case known as the MURCHISON MURDERS


PHOTO
MOUNT MAGNET Amphitheatre

On the Boogardie-Lennonville road there is a very interesting rock formation known locally as the Amphitheatre. For over eighty years it has been used as a local picnic spot. It appears to be an ancient waterfall from an older land level, a laterite capped island in space. It was always a great lovers trysting place and it has been whispered that a large percentage of Mount Magnet's population originated from there.
- visit link for more -

Surnames: FORD LLOYD ROWLES RYAN UPFIELD
Viewed: 1850 times
by ngairedith Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2011-08-03 18:39:19

PECK of TAITA

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:

Comments

by RodWadd on 2013-10-04 08:12:57

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.