What became of the children of William Bassett & Jane Matthews
William Bassett and Jane Mathews were married on the 13 September 1783 in the Madron parish church, and had the following children christened in the same church:-
1. “4 Jan 1784 Anne d/o William Basset at Madron” – I am not sure what happened to Anne
2. “11 Sep 1785 Francis s/o William Bassett, pauper at Madron” was working as a farmer until he became convicted of stealing and was transport to Australia. He was married to Ann Carbis who did not emigrate to Australia. Her husband along with her brother William and father were convicted of stealing and transported to Australia
3. “20 Jan 1788 William s/o William Bassett, pauper at Madron” – may have been buried on 27 October 1799 in Gulval, Cornwall the entry in the Gulval Church register reads:- “October William Bassett of Penzance .. .. .. 27th“
4. “5 Sep 1790 John s/o William Bassett, pauper at Madron” migrated to Australia in 1852, who married Martha Carbis in in 1812, along with his wife and most of his married children
5. “8 Mar 1792 Mary d/o William Basset, pauper at Madron private baptism" was buried as an infant on 18 February 1793 as a pauper in Madron
6. “9 Mar 1794 Mary d/o William Basset, pauper at Madron”
7. “13 Mar 1796 James s/o William Bassett, pauper at Madron” was buried as an infant on 16 September 1797 as a pauper in Madron
8. “17 Feb 1798 Hanna d/o William Basset, pauper at Madron private baptism”
9. “23 Mar 1800 Jane d/o William Basset at Madron private baptism” was buried as a 12 year old on 12 Aug 1810 as a pauper in Madron
The male descendants have been a lot easier to follow up. In 1812 when Francis Bassett with others committed a crime and the scandal went on for about three years, off and on in the newspapers, I know my direct ancestor, John Bassett b.1790 moved out of the area with his wife which is what his surviving sisters may have done.
So at present I would like to discover what happened to
1. Anne Basset christened 1784
2. Mary Basset christened 1792
3. Hanna Bassett christened 1798
I also haven’t been able to trace the burials and/or deaths of either William Bassett or Jane Bassett nee Matthews who could have both possibly been born around 1762.
Any help would be much appreciated.