What do you do when you hit a dead end? :: FamilyTreeCircles.com Genealogy
<< Previous - Next >>

What do you do when you hit a dead end?

Question by Fanning

example: if the person is long dead, you have their gravestone location and pictures, but oyur state has seemingly no records of the marriage, ancestry(parents), or even birth or dead certs. I only know my great-great grandfather's name, and dates of birth/death. I dont know who his parents were. some local genealogists suggest that he is a farmer from MO, but family lore says he was an attny from KY. He was born in 1865. I dont know how to beak through this road block. Any suggestions?? I know the 1860's were a tough time for the country as well as for record keeping, but I know there is just something simple I havent thought of.

Viewed: 1638 times
by Fanning Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2011-03-23 17:38:26

Fanning , from Missouri, USA, has been a Family Tree Circles member since Mar 2011. is researching the following names: FANNING, SPECK, HUDDLESTON and 8 other(s).

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


by Boru on 2011-03-23 17:48:14

You can get his birth year from the gravestone if you don't already have it and check the census records for the area in which you believe he lived, if you find him you will of course find his parents and any siblings ...

I'd also check :


enter his name and any info you have and something may come up ...Good Luck ...

by Fanning on 2011-03-24 10:55:03

Tries family search. He is only in one census and it is as as adult with wife and kids. There is no birth cert and no one knows who his parents were. Also there is some belief that he hated his father and took his mothers last name later in life. I do not know his father's name, someone told me what they thought it might be, but there is no record in census or otherwise of anyone with that name ever in that county or the surrounding ones. Also, i dont know his mothers first name, just another "guess" someone made somewhere along the way. There are lots of women with that full name in that area but none had a child with his name and there kids are accounted for. Now there is a family rumour that he could be from another state and KY is that state. Very hard trying to figure out where to begin. His wife is the same way. I can tell you when they married and when they were born/died. No records of the life in between or the roots from whence they came. Frustrated because most of what I need is in the missing 1890 census or seems to be lost to the madness known as the civil war. The rest of my family can be traced back to the 1700's already in North America-so much for passenger lists! A couple go back to 1300's England. Now if this other side of the family would be so kind as to cooperate! -Thanks though to all. any more suggestions? Keep em coming!

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.