Where is GEORGE AVERY buried ? (1852-1907)
Where is George Avery buried?
• He was born 17 October 1852 in Taita, Lower Hutt
- a son of George AVERY & Charlotte TANDY
• He married Sarah SCRIMSHAW in 1876
• He farmed in Pahiatua for a number of years then moved to Kaponga, in Taranaki, where he owned the Commercial Hotel about 1900 - he was also a butcher there
• He and Sarah had 12 children
• In 1904 he moved to Hikutaia, near Thames
• He died 26 July 1907
If you read his profile here GEORGE AVERY you will see a newspaper article of how he was buried back on Kaponga...
Because I could not find his grave site I have been in contact with the Council in Kaponga and they told me he is not there !! nor are his two sons Alfred and Hugh although they are reported to have been buried there
... which does not mean they are not there
Because he was a very prominent business man in the town and was given a large farewell with expensive gifts it seemed to me that he should have some record, headstone etc - but no
I thought maybe the town of Kaponga just had a service for him in remembrance BUT the article names the pall bearers ...
* W. BARLEYMAN
* D. BRIGGS
* C. CROWLEY
* J. CROWLEY
* D. HENNISSEY
* T. MURPHY
His wife, Sarah, died 7 years later and she is buried in Omahu Cemetery in a double plot - the plot was "used" when she was interred but George is not with her there
- so it is not making any sense to me
Can you please help
GEORGE AVERY (1852-1907)