talofa , from hamilton nz, has been a Family Tree Circles member since Sep 2011. is researching the following names: MCKENZIE, YULE, MCGREGOR and 2 other(s).
Colin McLenzie & Ellen Yule (see your other posting) married 30 March 1870 in Taratahi, Carterton and settled in Ashhurst
- their 8 known children were:
1872 - Elizabeth McKenzie
1874 - 1966 Mary Ellen/Helen McKenzie
- Mary married David EDWARDS in 1898 & lived in Ashhurst
1876 - Robert McKenzie
- Robert married Mahalia McGregor PATON (1884-1970) in 1908
1878 - 1968 Elizabeth Yule McKenzie
- Elizabeth married William Edward ROBERTS in 1902
1879 - 1944 Alexander Yule McKenzie, Leading Aircraftman NZ403924 (has photo)
- Alexander married Ruby Frances HARRIS in 1927
1881 - 1968 Roderick John McKenzie
1883 - George McKenzie
1886 - 1901 Ernest McKenzie
- 7 June 1901 It is with very much regret that I have to report the sudden death of Ernest McKenzie. This lad, who was 14 years of age, and the youngest son of the late Mr Colin Mckenzie, one of the oldest settlers of Ashhurst, was at school during the day. After school he went out with the gun, and returned home about half-past five in the evening. He then complained of a headache to two lads who were in the house, staggered and fell. The boys picked him up and he sat down, saying he felt much better. The boys then left him and coming up the town informed his brother, who went immediately to the house and found the lad in an unconscious state lying with his face downwards. Assistance was sent for, but the boy died before medical aid arrived. It appears the boy has complained of a pain across his forehead lately, and as he had eaten some poisonous berries about a month ago, it was thought that the pain complained of was a result from the poison, but nothing serious was anticipated by anyone on that account. Mrs D. Edwards, sister of the deceased, with whom he was staying, is at present away from home. Much sympathy is felt for the bereaved family, who quite recently lost their mother. An inquest will be held to-day
Colin died in Ashhurst 10 January 1889 aged 45 (the Coroner reported he died of natural causes). He is buried Plot 016, Block 013 at Terrace End
Ellen died in Ashhurst 10 January 1900 aged 51 & buried with Colin
Thank you for that information. NOW do you have the names of the CHILDREN of ALEXANDER McKENZIE AND MARY GOLLAN PLEASE. I think that you said they had eight children.
By the way that photo of ALEXANDER YULE McKENZIE, well I had a look at it and then called my wife to have a look. Her response "THAT LOOKS LIKE YOU" so I have YULE and McKENZIE IN ME plus McGREGOR and MONTGOMERIE AND PATON>
I am so sorry to be a pest.
Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.
Join over 170,000 others who are connecting with their cousins and common researchers!
FamilyTreeCircles is easy and free.