William CROUCHER 1833-1912
William CROUCHER the son of Robert CROUCHER and Mary Ann GAUNT was born in Ashford, Kent England on the 1 February 1833 and died at Gally Swamp later known as Gallymont on the 30 June 1912. He's buried at the Lyndhurst Church of England Cemetery.
William married Jane LUCKHURST in 1852 at Little Chart, Kent England. The children of William and Jane were:-
1.Charles CROUCHER b:11 JUly 1853 Kent, England d:18 June 1911 m. Anne GOODACRE 1855-1938 on 11 March 1878 at Carcoar, NSW
2.Ann CROUCHER b:1856 d:25 JUne 1886 m. Eugene SULLIVAN in 1877 at Wagga Wagga, NSW
3.William Edward aka Edward William CROUCHER b:1858 d: 8 August 1930 m. Eva Jane PETTS xxxx-1957 in 1906 at Cowra.
4.Frederick CROUCHER b: 28 August 1861 Roxburgh, NSW d:14 April 1917 Mary Ann DRADY 1865-1951 on the 29 April 1885 at Trunkey Creek, NSW
5.George CROUCHER b: 20 June 1864 Roxburgh, NSW d: 27 April 1901 Gallymont, NSW. m. Elizabeth DIGBY 1866-1931 at Gally Swamp on 29 December 1886
6.Harriett Alice CROUCHER 1866 – m. Charles E LOCK on the 19 August 1891 at Trunkey Creek, NSW
7.Mary Jane CROUCHER 1869 d:xxxx m. Reuben DIGBY b: 1865 d: XXXX. in 1886 Carcoar
8.Caroline Elizabeth CROUCHER 1871 – 1872
9.Sarah Elizabeth CROUCHER b: 17 March 1873 Trunkey Creek, NSW d:5 October 1954 m. John DIGBY b:1870 Mandurama, d:30 July 1930 at Carcoar, on 5 August 1896 at Carcoar.He was found in a dam with his throat cut. Inquest declared it suicide. They lived in Madurama.
John DIGBY was the son of John DIGBY 1840-1911 and Mary Anne PEARCE 1841-1911.
10. Alfred James CROUCHER 1876 – m. Frances Margaret BERG 1878-1951
on the 17 October 1900 at Carcoar, NSW
John DIGBY (This is John Digby from Morpeth)was part of the HOMEWARD BOUND Gold Mining Company of Gally Swamp, at one time lodged a cake of gold weighing 102oz with the City Bank. The result of crushing 45 tons of stone from the Homeward Bound Reef.
The following article from the Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal
18 July 1893
John Digby and party have discovered a very rich reef at Galley Swamp. Some specimens exhibited by them yesterday were literally spangled with gold.
Digby worked on the same lease 14 years ago, but afterwards abandoned it. Several claims on these diggings are in full swing, and mining operations appear very promising.
The image below is Belubla Street, Carcoar, in 1885. The Post Office on the right was built in 1879, it still stands and today is used for tourist accommodation.