William GREEN of Sydney, NSW and Mary Jane MURRAY of Glasgow, Scotland and Sydney, NSW
William GREEN was the eldest child of two convicts, Thomas GREEN and Catherine DELANEY or McLAUGHLIN. Together they had six children:
1. William, b. ca. 1804, Green Hills NSW, m. 1849 Sydney, to Mary Jane MURRAY
2. Mary Ann, b. ca. 1806, Green Hills NSW, m.1823 Sydney, to William WORTH; m.1837 Sydney, to Christian HUBE
3. Margaret, b. ca. 1809, Green Hills, NSW, m.1843 Sydney, to Lawrence DELANEY; m.1850 Sydney to Samuel GUY
4. Catherine, b. ca. 1811, Windsor NSW, m.1828 Sydney, to Everitt SUMMONS
5. John, b. 2 March 1813, Windsor NSW, m.1834 Sydney, to Sarah BRYANT
6. Thomas, b. ca. 1815, Windsor NSW
After his father's disappearance at Bathurst, William completed an apprenticeship at the Government dockyard in Sydney to become a shipwright. His five siblings all spent time in the Orphan Schools run by the NSW Government:
* Mary Ann was apprenticed to Mr. GREENWAY as a house servant, but was discharged from his service after allegedly stealing money from him.
* Margaret was apprenticed to Revd CARTWRIGHT as a house servant.
* Catherine was married in 1828 by banns with the consent of the Clergy and School Corporation.
* John spent time in the Orphan School, and was noted as having run away from there.
* Thomas was apprenticed to the firm of Jones and Walker as a seaman.
William married Mary Jane MURRAY at St. Mary's Catholic church in Sydney, and they had a family of ten children, most of whom died as infants or young adults.
1. Martha, b.1850 Sydney, m.1878 Sydney, to John Aron SVENSEN or SWENSON
2. William, b.1853 Sydney, d.1884
3. John, b.1855 Sydney, d.1860
4. Thomas, b.1857 Sydney, d.1871
5. Mary Ann, b.1859 Sydney, m.1888 Petersham, to Carl KJELSBERG
6. John Joseph, b.1861 Sydney, d.1886
7. Elizabeth, b.1863 Sydney, d.1868
8. Anne Charlotte, b.1865 Sydney, m.1884 Macdonaldtown, to Alfred Samuel Richard WAKEFIELD
9. Catherine Margaret, b.1867 Sydney, d.1868 Sydney
10. Maud Ada, b.1870 Sydney, m.1891 Maitland, to Robert HECTOR
William and Mary Jane, and their sons William, Thomas and John Joseph were all buried in a single grave at Rookwood RC cemetery (see right).
Only four of their children survived to marry, all girls, so the name of GREEN disappeared from this branch of the family.