William Sanderson 1824-1899
William Sanderson, born in England in 1824, arrived in Adelaide on the ship Indian with his wife Hephzibah, nee HEMBOROUGH. Hephzibah had been born Lincolnshire in 1826 and the couple were married during the last quarter of 1843 at Sculcoates, Yorkshire, England, the daughter of John HEMBOROUGH 1791 and his wife Mary 1796 from Butts Lane, Barton Upon Humber St Mary, Lincolnshire.
William and Hephzibah had eight children their second child, Mary Ann being born on board the Indian 12 weeks after it left Plymouth.
William died on the 26 October 1899 at his home on Light Terrace, Thebarton, Adelaide. Hephzibah followed when she died at the family home in Light Terrace Thebarton on the 11 August 1914. Both were laid to rest at the West Terrace Cemetery in Adelaide.
The children of William and Hephzibah SANDERSON were:-
1. William Sanderson baptised: 25 March 1844 Barton Upon Humber St Mary, Lincolnshire
married Sarah Ann CAUSBY 1847-1889 in Adelaide on the 8 March 1865 they had two children William Sanderson 1866 – 1868 and George Hembrough Sanderson 1869
2. Mary Ann Indiana Sanderson b:23 June 1849 at sea. d:22 April 1917 at her home 161 O'Connell St., Nth. Adelaide. m. Henry HISSEY 1842-1912, 27 May 1865 at the home of the groom's father Cockatoo Valley
3. Henry Sanderson b: 23 October 1851 Brownhill Creek SA. d: 13 January 1853 South Australia
4. John Henry Sanderson b:25 March 1855 d: xxxx m. Mary Ann JOHNSON
5. Eliza Sanderson b: 20 March 1857 Mitcham, SA. d: xxxx m. William VINEY at Mitcham on 21 September 1875 at the home of her parents.
6. Emily Sanderson b: 9 August 1859 Mitcham, SA d: 10 December 1863 at Bassett Town SA.
7. Hephzibah Hembrough Sanderson b:19 August 1863 Bassett Town SA. d:abt. 1920 m. William PILL xxxx-1916
8. Emily Agnes Sanderson b: 16 Sept.1866 Bassett Town SA. d: 2 May 1939 South Australia. m. George Horatio TEMPERLEY 1860-1925 on the 17 November 1885 in Adelaide. One of their children, a son William George TEMPERLEY b: 1887 met with a tragic death in 1897.
Australia Death Index, 1787-1985
about William Sanderson Name: William Sanderson
Death Date: 26 Oct 1899
Death Place: Parkside
Residence Place: Thebarton
Registration Place: Norwood, South Australia
Page Number: 146
Volume Number: 265
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1824
The only relevance this photograph below has to the above is that the woman comes from Thebarton in South Australia.
She has won the cotton winding race!
I don't know if this sport was unique to South Australia or not, probably, or perhaps New Zealand, both have always been to the forefront when it comes to initiating things to keep us women happy.
This exciting sport is no more.. gone.
Such a shame I think many of us would have been very good at cotton winding.
When you think about it, we have given up so much for the sake of liberation.