<< Previous - Next >>


Journal by itellya

by itellya Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2013-12-26 20:56:49

Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


by itellya on 2013-12-27 00:30:48

I was a bit hasty in concluding that Lincolne was a mistake. A trove search has uncovered an Abraham Lincolne who seemed to have been in the auctioneering business. He may have been leasing Thomas Napier's grant,which Henry Stephenson later bought and named "Niddrie". He may instead have been leasing Doutta Lea which was north of Niddrie and also adjoined Patrick Phelan's "Spring Farm".

Lincolne's farm was supposed to have been a mile towards Keilor from Cooke's farm. Cooke would be B.J.Cooke who is discussed in some detail in THE STOPOVER THAT STAYED, a history of the City of Essendon by Grant Aldous. He was a grantee of land in section 16, Doutta Galla which was not alienated until 1862 west of the Deep Creek road so he may have been leasing more than his grant (Orange Grove area) from the Crown. Presuming that the mile started from the Keilor Rd corner,it would finish just east of Treadwell St,the eastern boundary of Niddrie. If the correspondent had ridden through Cooke's farm into Lincolne's,the latter might have been Doutta Lea, but if he actually rode along the road, Lincolne was more likely on "Niddrie".

Niddrie was bounded roughly by Grange Rd,Fraser St, Nomad Rd/Treadwell St and Keilor Rd. Doutta Lea went north to Parer Rd.

Positively to be Sold by Auction.
Near Lady Franklin's and Colonel Kenny's Estates, and adjoining tho Property of P. Phelan, Esq. The Doutta Lea Estate, Parish of Doutta Galla.
MR. STUBBS is instructed by tho proprietor to SELL by PUBLIC AUCTION, in the auction rooms, Queen-street, on Tuesday, February 7,at twelve-o'clock precisely,
The whole of the above agricultural estate, in one lot.
It comprises 147 to 150 acres, of a well-selected portion of the wheat and hay country as this district certainly is, an advantage peculiar to this part of the
country. 70 acres are under cultivation, whilst the larger portion of the estate has been converted into a grass paddock, and the whole is securely fenced. It is
well known as Wright and Crichton's Estate. (P.2,Argus,3-2-1860.)

by itellya on 2013-12-27 19:31:01

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.