Bawden4 on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
Category: THE GLASPELL SIDE
GLASPELL- Billie Jean "BJ", and Florence Harley Glaspell - Hope someone can fill in the blanks. Got a good start from bighaich47.
Billie Jean "BJ" GLASPELL b 22 Aug 1947 Folsom, Dodd, WV; d 26 January 1988, no bio, bur. Center Point Cemetery, Doddridge County, WV.
Florence Harley GLASPELL, b 16 March 1886,
d. 17 July 1967 no location, bur. Oakdale Memorial Gardens, Davenport, IA
William Woodman GLASPELL b 11 April 1876 Durham County, Ontario, Canada, d. 2 April 1964 2 April 1964, Walla Walla, WA; no marriage data; m. Bessie Pearl Slater, b. 7 August 1886 Greenfield, Hancock, IN, d. 6 June 1952 Walla Walla, WA had Forrest Eugene 28 August 1910 in Walla Walla, WA; d. 6 September 1993 Prosser, Benton, WA; Marwood Charles b. 8 March 1916 Washington, USA; and Waldron W "Babe" b.27 Oct 1920 Walla Walla, WA d. 15 Feb 1994. Wm and Bessie bur. Mountain View Cem, Walla Walla, WA. Bessie Pearl b 7 Aug 1886 no location, d. 6 June 1952 no location
Bertha E. GLASPELL b unknown, d. 1986 no date or place, bur Greenlawn Cemetery Clarksburg, WV
GLASPELL: David Bernard (twin of Rosemary), son of Bernard Gordon and Orla RINGUETTE, continues life in North Dakota
David was born 26 Jun 1947 in Jamestown, Stutsman, North Dakota.
In 1964 the year before he graduated from Edgeley High School, he joined the National Guard. After high school, he worked as a salesman but remained an active member of the Guard. In 1979, David began a full-time career as recruiting officer for the North Dakota National Guard. He serves as Personnel Officer in the National Guard as Major. (1985)
He married Elizabeth Ann HUBER on 14 Sept 1968 in Edgeley, North Dakota. She was born 18 Jun 1948 in Edgeley, dtr of Peter and Caroline GEFRE HUBER. She graduated from Edgeley High School andattended Aberdeen School of Commerce in Aberdene and worked for the Aberdeen Mental Health Center and is currently employed by Job Service of North Dakota in Bismarck. The Glaspells are members of the Catholic church. They had 3 children:
1. Tnya Lynn born 22 Feb 1974 in Jamestown
2. Ryan Scott born 14 Apr 1979 in Bismarck
3. Tyler Davis born 20 Apr 1985 in Bismarck. He died 9 May 1985.
GLASPELL: Patricia Elizabeth, dtr of Bernard Gordon and Orla RINGUETTE, marries Norman Gene ANVIK in Montana
This GLASPELL branch goes back to Duncan CAMPBELL ELDRIDGE's first child Jacob, whose dtr Kate is this writer's G-grandmother's sister (Jennie). Patricia Elizabeth is Kate's g-granddaughter, Jennie's g-grandneice.
Patricia was born 20 Dec 1942 in Los Angeles, California. She attended a 1-room school near Edgeley, North Dakota and grduated in 1961 from Jamestown High School in Jamestown, Stutsman, North Dakota. She worked for over 7 years for Jamestown's Farmers Union State Office as a typist.
On 24 May 1969, she married Norman in Edgeley. He was born 21 Jun 1938 in Sidney, Rochland, Montana son of Otto Carl and Sylvia May OLSEN ANVIK. He died 19 July 1995 in Stanton, Mercer, North Dakota. Norman graduated from Eight Mile School in Trenton, Williams, North Dakota and attended Valley City College in Valley City, North Dakota. In 1961, Norman joined the Army, serving in Badharstfield, Germany in the Combat Engineers, working in demolition and construction until his discharge in 1965 as E5 Specialist.
Norman and Pat live in Wahpeton, North Dakota (1985) where he works as a millwright for Local 548 Carpenter and Joiners Union of St. Paul, Minnesota. Patricia works as a kindergarten aide in Zimmermann Elementary School in Wapheton, and for the past 5 years she has been a Girl Scout leader and a member of a Girl Scout support team. She attends North Dakota State School of Science at Wahpeton. They are members of the Catholic Church. They had 2 children in West St. Paul, Minnesota:
1. Tobias Gene born 14 Jun 1970
2. Cynthia Elizabeth (one ref says Marie) born 13 April 1972.
Bernard was born 19 Oct 1915 in Jamestown, Stutsman, North Dakota, the oldest son of Bernard and Elizabeth WILSON GLASPELL. He graduated from St. John's Academy and farmed with his father on the family farm near Jamestown. For several years, Bernard farmed during the summer and in the winter drove a truck in California, Missouri and many other states.
On 23 Dec 1941, Bernard married Orla Mae RINGUETTE, b 20 Feb 1917 in Burbank, Los Angeles, California. She was the dtr of Frederick Sidney and Rose FINNEGAN RINGUETTE, born in Jamestown, North Dakota. She graduated from Jamestown Public schools and was working in California at the time of her marriage.
Bernard and Orla had a 1200A farm near Edgeley, LaMoure, North Dakota where they grew grain and raised cattle until they retired. The GLASPELLS were members of the Roman Catholic Church. Orla died 25 Apr 1997 in Jamestown. Bernard died 14 Nov 1996 in Jamestown. They had 4 children.
1. Gordon LYTER b 20 Dec 1942 in Los Angeles, California and graduated from Jamestown High School where he was active in athletics. He lived with his parents and farms near Edgeley.
2. Patricia Elizabeth b 20 Dec 1942 (twins with Gordon)
3. David Bernard b 26 Jun 1947 in Jamestown.
4. Rosemary b 26 Jun 1947 in Jamestown (twins with David). She received her elementary education in a one-room country school near Edgeley. After graduation from Edgeley High School, Rosemary began working for Bell Telephone as an operator. She was a corporate staff member, working on the FAXC computer project at Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska. Rosemary served as a local officer of the Communications Workers of International Human Rights organization. On 15 Feb 1980 she married Earl DeGROOT in Jamestown, they were divorced 7 Sept 1980. There were no children.
Bernard was born 3 Jan 1886 in Jamestown, Stutsman, North Dakota (possibly still Dakota Territory), the youngest son of Samuel LYTER and Kate ELDRIDGE GLASPELL. He graduated from Jamestown High School and attended Armour Tech in Chicago, Cook, Illinois, and North Dakota State University in Fargo. He returned to Jamestown to operate the GLASPELL Dairy on the family farm southeast of town.
Bernard married Elizabeth Madeline WILSON in Jamestown, 28 Aug 1912. She was born 18 Oct 1891 in LaCrosse, LaCrosse, Wisconsin, dtr of Cyrus WILSON (no wife) who were born and married in England. Cyrus changed his name from MacWILSON to WILSON when he came to the US.
Elizabeth attended school in Minneapolis, came to Jamestown where she was employed as a salesperson in the Ben Orlandy Dry Goods Company.
The GLASPELLS retired from the dairy business in 1954 and lived with their son Samuel in Jamestown. Bernard died 29 Jun 1962, and Elizabeth died 9 Oct 1975. Both are buried in Highland Home Cemetery near Jamestown. Elizabeth WILSON GLASPELL was a member of St. James Catholic Church;. They had 2 sons.
1. Bernard Gordon GLASPELL born 19 Oct 1915 in Jamestown.
2. Samuel LYTER GLASPELL born 17 Jan 1918 in Jamestown where he graduated form St. John's Academy in 1936. After attending busines school, he began work with International Harvester (farm equipt) dealership in Jamestown.
In 1942 Sam enlisted in the Army where he served as a T-3 in Rhineland and Central Europ with the 12th Armoured Division of Gen. Patton's 3rd Army. He was discharged in 1946 and returned to Jamestown where he worke3d as parts mgr for International harvester until his 1982 retirement.
He did not marry, but cared for his parents until they died. (1986) Sam lives in Jamestown where for 17 years he has been a member of City Council and Exauted Ruler of Jamestown 995 Elks, form 1957-58. He died 24 Jun 1990 (no location SSDI).
GLASPELL: Eula, dtr of Samuel LYTER and Kate ELDRIDGE, marries dentist and Sp-Am war veteran, Dr. Larry BARD McLAIN
Eula/Eulie GLASPELL was born 12 Jun 1877 in Davenport, Scott, Iowa, the first child of Hon. Samuel LYTER and Kate ELDRIDGE GLASPELL. She was brought to Jamestown, Stutsman, North Dakota when it was still Dakota Territory when she was three years old.
Eula attended Jamestown schools, graduating from Jamestown High School in 1895. After graduation, she went to Europe to study music, art and languages in Paris for three years, returning to the University of Chicago to study for two more years.
On 1 Jan 1903 in Jamestown, Eula married Dr. Larry BARD McLAIN, a dentist and veteran of the Spanish-American War. Dr. McLAIN was born 19 Sept 1879 (my source says 1875) in Wheeling, Ohio, West Virgini, son of Dr. David BARD McLAIN who was an early settler and dentist in Jamestown.
Eula and Larry made their home in Jamestown where he had his dental practice, and whee she was active in literary, civic and patriotic organizations. She was a member of the Christian Science Church as were her parents.
Eula GLASPELL McLAIN died in Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota 3 Sept 1929. Larry died 30 Oct 1941 in Jamestown. They are buried in Highland Home Cemetery in Jamestown. They had 2 children;
1. Alan born 28 May 1906 in Jamestown where he graduated from high school. He attended Principia School for 9th & 10th grade in suburban St. Louis, Missouri (still exists). He married 1st Clara W. J. HORMAN on 14 Oct 1936 in Lisbon, Ransom, North Dakota (no disposition). He married Mary (no maiden, no date or location). Alan made his home in San Mateo, San Mateo, California, he died 16 Feb 1978 in Mountain View, Santa Clara, California and Mary is buried with him in the Golden Gate National Cemetery in San Bruno, California. They had no children.
2. Jean / Jene was born (SSDI) 21 Sep 1916 (my source 23 Oct 1915)in Jamestown. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, the University of Minnesota and Pepin School of Fashion before working in Minneapolis at Dayton Dept. Store as a stylist and model. During WWII she enlisted in the Coast Guard as a SPAR and served in Florida.
In 1944 (no date) in Florida (no location) she married George HAMMOND, a B-17 bombardier who was killed 11 months in Germany after their marriage. Jean joined the Civil Service Commission and worked in Atlanta, George before transferring to the State Department for a 2-year tour of duty in Korea. In Dec 1948 (no date) she married Stanley Norman KEMP, son of Claude and Viola DIEDRICHS KEMP, who had also served during WWII as a bombardier in Germany. They lived in Portland, Multnomah, Oregon where San worked as an electrical engineer for the Army Corps of Engineers and later for the Bonneville Power Administration in the Portland area. He died 2 Feb 1980 at Seaside, Ocean, Oregon. They had 1 son:
Larry BARD KEMP born 22 Sept 1949 (my source) (SSDI) 20 Sept 1948 in Portland. She served in the Viet Nam war after graduation from high school in 1968. No other information.
- Displaying 1-6 of 6 Journals