Bawden4 on FamilyTreeCircles - journals

Bawden4 on Family Tree Circles

sort: Date Alphabetical
view: full | list

Journals and Posts

ELDRIDGE: Jacob MULLEN merits an entry in The History of Davenport and Scott County, Iowa 1882

Jacob M. ELDRIDGE, arriving in Davenport in 1845, became an active and valuable factor in the business interests of the city and at the same time his opinions carried weight and his labors produced substantial results in financial circles. While he won success, his interests were never so self-centered that business excluded participation in projects and measures of progressive citizenship. On the contrary he was ever alert to the best interests of the community and his cooperation constituted a valuable force in inaugurating measures which were of public benefit. A native of New Jersey, Jacob M. ELDRIDGE was born at Haddonfield, New Jersey, November 20, 1824, a son of Duncan CAMPBELL and Rachel BROWN ELDRIDGE. Duncan was the first postmaster of Davenport.

Rachel died when Jacob was but four years of age and the boy then went to live with his widowed ELDRIDGE grandmother. His father, having remarried to Rebecca LIPPINCOTT of the publishing family, came west and had conducted a store in Davenport at the time of the death of the grandfather. Jacob M. ELDRIDGE, then a boy of thirteen years, was thrown upon his own resources and soon afterward commenced teaming.

Carefully saving his earnings, it was not long before he was able to purchase a team and in that field of activity he continued to labor for some time. Later he turned his attention to clerking and, actuated by the laudable ambition which was ever one of his strong characteristics, he soon made it possible to become the owner of a mercantile enterprise. This he conducted until 1845, when he came to Davenport, his attention having already been directed to this city by the fact that it was the place of his father's residence. He arrived in Rock Island [Illinois] on the 23d of December after a two months' journey from Philadelphia and spent Christmas eve in Davenport.

The next spring, however, he returned to the east to settle up his business affairs in that section of the country and in the succeeding fall again came back to this city. He had entered land from the government about three miles northeast of Davenport, for which he paid the usual price of a dollar and a quarter per acre.
The improvements which he placed upon it and the natural rise in value consequent upon the rapid settlement of this section of the country enabled him in 1874 to dispose of that farm for one hundred and twenty-five dollars per acre.

He was one of the first land agents of this city and followed that pursuit during much of his life. His keen judgment and sagacity enabled him to make judicious investments and profitable sales and at the same time he contributed to the substantial improvement of this section of the state by his careful manipulation of
realty interests.

At all times Mr. ELDRIDGE was mindful of his opportunity to promote public progress and was actuated by a public-spirited devotion to the general good that was manifest in many tangible ways. He was prominent in the movement that extended the Chicago & Rock Island [rail]road to the river and continued its construction across the state as the Mississippi & Missouri road. The second line afterward consolidated, forming the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific. Mr. ELDRIDGE was also a member of the company that secured the franchise for the
second railroad bridge and he put forth earnest effort wherever he believed it possible to secure the adoption of a project that promised material benefit to the city, county and state. The town of ELDRIDGE was laid out by him and the city of ELDRIDGE, North Dakota, was named in his honor, though he never lived in either.

It was through the influence of Mr. ELDRIDGE that Frank P. BLAIR became a resident of this city and a most important factor in its later upbuilding.

In the field of politics Mr. ELDRIDGE was equally well known and prominent. He was a delegate to the convention held in Iowa City in 1855, which led to the organization of the republican party in this state. In 1872 he was sent as a delegate from Iowa to the convention of liberal republicans that nominated Horace GREELEY for the presidency. He regarded it as the duty as well as the privilege of every American man to uphold by his ballot and his influence the principles in which he believed and, while he never sought nor desired office for himself, he stood staunchly in support of those issues which he regarded as vital to
good government.

He conceived and instituted the idea of placing a memorial tablet in the rotunda of the courthouse in honor of the Scott county pioneers?a tablet which will preserve for future generations the names of several hundred residents who came here prior to 1848. He was one of the oldest and most faithful members of the Christian church, to the support of which he contributed generously, while in its various activities he took helpful part. One of the most honored members of the Old Settlers' Association, he filled all of its offices, including that of president. He was also president of the Board of Trade at one time and instituted various projects which were accomplished through the medium of that association.

In 1848 Mr. Eldridge was married to Miss Mary Louisa WOODWARD, who passed away eighteen months later. In June, 1851, he married Miss Mary HIGH WILLIAMS, and on 28th of September, 1866, he wed Agnes SMITH, who survives him. She was a daughter of Robert Smith, a farmer by occupation, who retired in 1861 and established his home in Davenport, where he spent his remaining days, dying at the age of eighty-eight years. The six children of Mr. ELDRIDGE were all born of the second marriage, namely : George Wallace., Mrs. Reuben R. ELDRIDGE [Dr. Elizabeth], Mrs. Samuel LYTER GLASPELL [Kate], Mrs. Carl E. SCHLEGEL [Minnie], Mrs. George W. BAWDEN [Jennie - this blog author's g-grandmother], and Frank Wallace.

The death of Mr. ELDRIDGE occurred June 8, 1892, and brought a sense of personal bereavement to a large majority of Davenport citizens, for during the many years of his residence here he was honored and respected by all who knew him. The value of his public work cannot be overestimated and his record furnishes a splendid example for emulation in its public-spirited devotion to the general good. As the architect of his own fortunes he built wisely and well and did equally good work for the city, his name being on the roll of the representative men whose labors have constituted the chief elements in progress and improvement here.

1 comment(s), latest 7 years, 10 months ago

BAWDEN: Stephen Phelps is subject of entry in 1882 History of Davenport and Scott County, Iowa

The law has become so complex that it would be difficult for any individual to be equally at home in all departments of practice and, while a lawyer may continue in several fields, it is the tendency of the times to concentrate one's energies upon a special branch. This Stephen P. Bawden does in his attention to probate and title deed branches of law and yet he has won success in other fields and may be termed a general practitioner.

Mr. Bawden is one of Davenport's native sons and his parents were Stephen and Mary Ella (WOODWARD) BAWDEN, the former being of English parentage and the latter a native of Pennsylvania. Their removal to the west and settlement at Davenport made this city the scene of the youthful efforts and activities of S. P. BAWDEN as well as of his later years.

Having acquired his literary education in the public schools, he continued his studies in preparation for the bar and after his admission to practice in the courts of the state opened an office in Davenport, where he has since remained. His natural predilection tends him toward probate and similar departments of the law and for five years he devoted almost his entire time to those branches in the office of DAVISON & LANE. Inclination and opportunity were thus satisfied and his thoroughness and capability in this branch of the profession have won him deserved success. His two most dominant characteristics are determined persistence and thorough and honest exactness. In law and especially in real-estate law these traits are of prime importance and guarantee progress.

Mr. BAWDEN has met with good success because of these qualities and is one of the best known of the younger members of the bar in this field of practice. He enjoys the good fellowship of his brethren of the legal fraternity here and all recognize that his advancement has come as the merited and legitimate reward of his efforts and ability.

1 comment(s), latest 7 years, 10 months ago

CRAWFORD: Dr. Jennings Price, noted physician and surgeon, registered at both Davenport, Iowa, hospitals m. Anna WILLIAMS, both bur Dav. Oakdale Memorial Gardens

The life work of Dr. Jennings Price Crawford was of signal service to his fellow men in the city in which he long made his home. Not only his professional skill and ability but his social characteristics and his genuine personal worth endeared him to all who knew him. He was kindly and sympathetic in nature and he wisely used the talents with which he was endowed for the benefit of those with whom he came in contact.

His history, therefore, cannot fail to prove of interest to many of our readers. He came of an old New England family, the ancestry being traced back to John CRAWFORD, who left his home in the Scottish highlands and settled in the new world during its early colonization. To the same family belonged Colonel William CRAWFORD, who figured in both the colonial and Revolutionary wars, his military service covering thirty years.

Dr. CRAWFORD was born near Marion, Iowa, August 27, 1855. He and his twin brother. Dr. A. J. CRAWFORD, now deceased, formerly a distinguished physician of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, were the sons of Jennings and Sarah (Price) CRAWFORD.

In his youthful days Dr. CRAWFORD mastered the branches of learning in the public schools of his native county, thus spending a portion of each year in study until he reached the age of seventeen, when he had opportunity to attend Western College at Western, Iowa, and in that institution completed his literary course.

His professional education was acquired in the medical department of the Iowa State University, from which he was graduated in 1883 on the completion of a four years' course with the valedictory honors of his class. During the two vacations he had acted as house physician at Mercy Hospital in Davenport and thus to his theoretical training added the broad and invaluable experience of hospital practice. The late Dr. W. F. Peck was his preceptor and professor in surgery and, no doubt, he inspired Dr. CRAWFORD with his preference for surgical work as the latter always had the greatest admiration for his teacher, who was a noted surgeon. He took a postgraduate course at Bellevue Hospital College, New York City.

Opening an office in Davenport in 1883, Dr. CRAWFORD steadily advanced in his chosen field, winning high professional honors that made him regarded as one of the eminent physicians and surgeons of Davenport up to the time of his death. He never ceased to be a student of his profession but throughout his life read broadly and with thoughtful consideration carried his researches into the realms of scientific knowledge, doing everything in his power to promote his own efficiency and add to that general knowledge of medicine and surgery which constitutes a source of public health.

He stood high in the ranks of his profession, not only in this city but in the state, and was not unknown beyond the borders of Iowa. He held membership in the American Medical Association and frequently attended its meetings. He was also seen in the meetings of the Iowa State Medical Society, the Iowa and Illinois District Medical Association and the Scott County Medical Society. He was a frequent contributor to medical literature and one of his last public appearances was for the presentation of a paper which he had prepared on surgery before the Iowa State Medical Society, at Des Moines. The addresses which he delivered in such meetings were frequently published in the leading medical journals, for they were carefully prepared and presented not only the results of his own experience but also of his wide research.

He served as a member of the staff of both Mercy and St. Luke's Hospitals [now Genesis West and East] and was one of the most active promoters of the interest of those two institutions. His large surgical practice took him to the hospitals almost daily and his skill and ability were of such high order that his death came as a distinct loss to both. He acted as district surgeon for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad and took a prominent part in arranging for the meeting of the Iowa State Medical Society, which was held in Davenport about two years before his death ? an important meeting still pleasantly remembered by the physicians of this vicinity who shared with him in the honors and responsibilities of being the entertainers on that occasion. The Illinois Society met in Rock Island at the same time and joint gatherings were features of their meetings.

As his health began to fail Dr. CRAWFORD gradually withdrew from his professional service, for he realized the advance that was being made by the disease which eventually terminated his life.

In no other environment did Dr. CRAWFORD find the happiness and contentment which came to him in his own home, for he was a man of domestic tastes and his greatest joy was in the companionship of his wife and children. On the 14th of October, 1885, he married Miss Anna Williams, a daughter of A. F. Williams, who at one time was a member of the Seig Iron Company and prominent in the business circles of Davenport.

He died many years ago but is still survived by his widow, who spends the summer seasons in Davenport and the winter months in California, where she has a daughter living. Unto Dr. and Mrs. CRAWFORD were born five children, Frances Louise, Genevieve, Helen, twins Dorothy and Margaret b 1 Sep 1897 (Marg d 21 May 1915).

Dr. CRAWFORD held membership in the Calvary Baptist church, in which he was an active and loyal worker, being a trustee of the church and superintendent of the Sunday school for many years. He was also one of the charter members of the San Grail Club and belonged to the Masonic fraternity. He was interested in all those movements which had for their object the betterment of mankind and he was also a stalwart champion of projects for the public good, rejoicing in the growth, advancement and welfare of his city. He was so widely known and such was the hold which he had upon the affection of his fellow townsmen that his death, which occurred 24 March 1907, brought a sense of personal bereavement to the large majority of Davenport's citizens. On the Sunday following his demise, in place of the regular lesson in the Sunday school of the Calvary Baptist church, there was held a memorial service in his honor, in which many who had known him long and well testified to his goodness of heart and the honor of his life, which in all of its phases was of such high character as to constitute an example that is well worthy of emulation.

1 comment(s), latest 7 years, 10 months ago

PHELPS FAMILY HISTORY: Israel b 3 Apr 1681 in Westfield, Hampden, MA, m. Rachel JONES (no info)

I. Israel PHELPS b 3 Apr 1681 in Westfield, Hampden, Massachusetts; m 7 Mar 1703 Enfield, Hartford, Connecticut to Rachel JONES (no info) Israel died 16 Apr 1713 in Enfield

[Israel's older brother John PHELPS (jr) b 8 Dec 1779 in Colebrook, d Oct 1839 Granville, Licking, Ohio]

A. Israel's son David PHELPS b 25 Aug 1716 in Enfield, m. 29 Mar 1737 in Enfield, Margaret COLTON, dtr of Josiah COLTON (no mother), Josiah was born 30 Dec 1685 in Longmeadow, Hampden, Massachusetts. m. Margaret PEASE {no info), 6 Jan 1706 in Enfield. David died 13 Jan 1803 in Enfield.
1. David's son John PHELPS b 11 Feb 1756 in Colebrook, Litchfield, Connecticut, m. Anna BAKER on 22 Mar 1779 in Colebrook, who was born 23 Apr 1738 Colebrook. John d 13 Oct 1841 in Colebrook; Anna d 4 Apr 1797 in Colebrook.

John's son Elihu PHELPS b 10 Apr 1782 in Colebrook, m. 19 Aug 1816 in Schroon [River?], Essex, New York Margaret CROOKSHANKS/CRUIKSHANKS (var sp) who was born 1795 (no date) in Salem, Washington, New York (no death date), Elihu died 7 Dec 1856 in Schroon.
1. Rensselaer (Female) b 19 Apr 1818 Schroon, Essex, New York; d 27 Apr 1857 - no spouse info
2. Orin J. b 29 Nov 1819, Schroon, no death date, Essex, NY, m. Jane MAYNARD, Jane POWELL 5 Oct 1853 Schroon.
3. James Francis b 6 Oct 1821, Schroon d 3 Apr 1906 in home 1223 3rd Ave., Davenport, Scott, Iowa, bur. Oakdale Memorial Gardens, aka Oakdale Cemetery, Davenport, m. 1. Lucinda TYRRELL b 1828 m. 1848 (no date) in Schroon, 2. Jennett FINCH b 5 Jun 1829, m. 20 Dec 1854.
4. Sanford b 26 Aug 1823 Schroon, d 31 Oct 1842 Schroon
5. Anna b 6 Jul 1825 Schroon d 4 May 1882 Schroon m. 18 Apr 1844, N. Hudson, Essex, New York, Daniel WYMAN b 6 Apr 1816 (no info)
6. Elizabeth b 25 Aug 1827 Schroon m. 12 Apr 1849 Schroon, Pelopidas POTTER b 26 Oct 1820. No death info for Liz.
7. Margaret b 11 Feb 1830 Schroon, m. 10 Feb 1847 Crown Point, Essex, NY, Calvin Walker HEUSTIS b 1817 (no date), no dod for Margaret.
8. Mary Helen b 31 Jan 1832, Schroon, d 22 Oct 1912, Davenport Scott, Iowa bur. Oakdale, m. 8 Jul 1859 Schroon River, Essex, NY, James Edwin LINDSAY b 12 Apr 1826 (see sep blog), Lindsay died 13 Oct 1915 in Schroon?? or Davenport, Scott, Iowa
9. Emily b 19 Jun 1834 Schroon, m. 9 May 1859, Schroon, Darius Jacobs RICHARDS, no dod for Emily
10. Amelia b 29 Aug 1837 Schroon, d 29 May 1919 New Rochelle, New York, m. Hawley Silas HEPBURN b 2 Mar 1840
11. John Baker (J.B.) b 19 May 1840 Schroon m. 20 May 1889 Davenport, Cornelia Rebecca WOODWARD ("Cornie")
b Jan 1864 in double ceremony with sister Mary Ella "Ella" WOODWARD and Stephen Douglas BAWDEN in the Woodward
home in Rockingham Twp, Scott, Iowa, dtrs of Benjamin Beckwith and Elizabeth Evans MORGAN WOODWARD. JB died of heart attck 16 Jul 1900 in Davenport. Bur Oakdale. This writer's link thru Stephen BAWDEN.
12. Eunice Ellen b 30 Sept 1843 Schroon, d 17 Jun 1928, Davenport; m. Major Eugene B. HAYWARD on 7 Apr 1864 in Schroon while Eugene was on a brief furlough. He was born 25 Oct 1842 in Essex County, New York. He died 3 Feb 1927 Davenport. 1 son Elmer Leland b 26 May 1866 in Port Henry, Essex, New York and 1 dtr Ellen Imogen b 1877 (no date).
13. Charles b 1855 no date, Schroon, no other information.

1 comment(s), latest 7 years, 10 months ago

PHELPS: James Francis, s/o Elihu and Margaret CRUIKSHANKS, m Lucinda TYRRELL and Jennett FINCH, farmer and lumberman

The history of Davenport and its leading citizens contains no name which awakens a feeling of more sincere respect and honest regard than that of James Francis PHELPS, who, in the years of his connection with the city, came to be recognized as an influential factor in business circles and also as one whose efforts in other directions were of far-reaching and beneficial import.

He was born October 6, 1821, at Schroon, Essex, New York. The public school system of that state afforded him his educational privileges and his experiences in youth were those of agricultural life, for he remained upon his father's farm until thirty years of age. Thinking to find broader opportunities in different business lines, he then removed to West Troy and engaged in the lumber business. From that time until his death he was identified with the lumber trade save for a brief period. He continued to make his home in the Empire state until 1876, when he removed to Middlebury, Vermont, settling on a farm with the hope that the experiences of outdoor life might prove beneficial to his health, which had become impaired. The year 1885 witnessed his arrival in Davenport, where he retained his residence until his demise. Since first embarking in the lumber business he retained his interest in the business and became a prominent representative of the lumber trade in this section of the country. He was a leading stockholder in the Lindsey & PHELPS Lumber Company and also in the Cloquet Lumber Company of Cloquet, Minnesota. In business affairs his judgment was sound, his sagacity keen and his enterprise unfailing, and in the years of an active career he won substantial success, his record being that of a man whose course in business affairs measured up at all times to the full standard of honorable, upright manhood.

At Schroon, New York, in 1848, Mr. PHELPS was united in marriage to Miss Lucinda TYRRELL, and unto them was born a son, A. T. PHELPS, who is now Cashier of the National Bank of Watervliet, New York. The wife and mother
died April 5, 1853, and on the 20th of December, 1854, Mr. PHELPS married Miss Jeanette FINCH. Oakdale Cemetery records it as Jennette.

Mr. PHELPS attended and supported the Methodist church. He was a man of high ideals, progressive in citizenship and ready at all times to give loyal support to those projects and movements which are intended for the betterment of the community. He traveled extensively, finding great pleasure in visiting points of scenic and historic interest, especially in his own country. His attachment for America was one of the deep-rooted interests of his life, his love of country being the expression of an unfaltering patriotism.

He continued his residence in Davenport until his death, which occurred April 3, 1906, and was the occasion of deep regret to many who knew and honored him. The physical and moral life were intensely vital in him and the ringing response which his character gave to every test made him a man honored and respected wherever known and most of all where best known. While he won for himself a substantial and creditable position in business circles, he also applied his knowledge and working powers to wider and more impersonal interests in which the general public was largely the beneficiary.

1 comment(s), latest 7 years, 9 months ago

WILLIAMS: Alexander Fraser, m. Frances Mary ROBINSON, has 4 children, mover and shaker in Davenport, Iowa

Alexander Fraser WILLIAMS, deceased, who stood as a splendid example of the enterprising, thrifty and loyal citizen and a faithful follower of the church, whose life did much to inspire and encourage others and whose memory is cherished in the hearts of all who knew him, was born in Westfield, New Jersey, on the 15th of June, 1826. His life record covered sixty-one years, his death occurring in Atlantic,Cass,Iowa, December 15, 1887.

His parents were Charles CLARK WILLIAMS and Eliza HIGH MILLER, who were married in Westfield, New Jersey, in 1818. They became the parents of seven daughters and three sons but only two are now living: William Belden, a resident of Nebraska; and Mrs. Margaret DOUGHERTY, of Iowa. Most of the ancestors of the family were farming people and all bear honorable records as honest, hard-working men and women, living in a quiet, humble way. The WILLIAMS branch of the family were Welsh. Nathaniel WILLIAMS, the grandfather of A. F. WILLIAMS, had three children : a son who died in early manhood; a daughter Ann, who became the wife of Willard BARROWS, one of Iowa's prominent pioneer residents; and Charles CLARK.

For a number of years Nathaniel WILLIAMS lived in Davenport with his daughter, Mrs. BARROWS, and there passed away in 1864, when more than eighty years of age. His mother was of American birth, a daughter of Charles CLARK, who served throughout the Revolutionary war. That he must have held rank as an officer is indicated by the fact that he wore a sword, the silver handle of which was afterward melted into six tablespoons, two of which were given to each of his three grandchildren ? Samuel CLARK, Charles CLARK WILLIAMS and Betsy SMITH. This was about eighty years ago and the spoons are still highly prized by the present generation.

In the maternal line A. F. WILLIAMS comes of English ancestry through his grandfather, Ezra MILLER, while his grandmother, Mrs. Mary (HIGH) MILLER, was of German descent, her father, John HIGH, having left Germany when a little boy.

Charles CLARK WILLIAMS, the father of Alexander FRASER WILLIAMS, was a man highly esteemed by all who knew him because of his upright life and fidelity to manly principles. An earnest Christian, he was for many years an elder in the Presbyterian church in Westfield and in Newark, New Jersey, and for several years was also one of the elders of the First Presbyterian church in Davenport, Iowa, where he died of cholera in 1852. All who knew him felt that he was a martyr to the unselfish care which he bestowed upon the laboring men who were victims of that terrible scourge. He had a most faithful and loving wife, who to her family was a devoted mother, her salient characteristics being such as endeared her to all who knew her. She made her home in Davenport and its vicinity for over thirty years and spent the last few years of her life in the home of her daughter in Nebraska, there passing away in 1878.

Alexander FRASER WILLIAMS spent his youthful days on his father's farm near Westfield, New Jersey, and was eleven years of age at the time of the removal of the family to Newark. There he spent several years attending the private schools and academy, and for one year was a student in a good school in Caldwell, New Jersey, so that he obtained a fair education. He was seventeen years of age when in 1843 the family removed to Davenport, Iowa, which was then regarded as the far west. He remained there for four years, assisting his father upon the farm, and also spent several months in making surveying tours through Iowa with his uncle, Willard BARROWS. He did not find agricultural pursuits congenial and, believing that he would obtain more pleasure and profit from commercial life, in 1847 he entered the dry-goods store of his uncle, Moses MILLER, at Racine, Wisconsin. After two years there passed his longing for the east, decided him to return to New York city, where he secured a situation in the wholesale hardware store of John C. TUCKER, in whose service he remained for three years, acquiring a good knowledge of the business during that period and thus becoming well equipped for the line of work to which he devoted the greater part of his' life. In 1852, receiving a more advantageous business offer, he entered the employ of ELY, BowXen [sp?] & McCONNELL, wholesale dry-goods merchants, conducting business on Broadway, New York. For six years he continued with that firm and during half the time had charge of the white goods department, making purchases for the same In the financial crash of 1858, following the widespread panic of the previous year, the New York firm failed and about the same time Mr. WILLIAMS received an offer to go into business in Davenport, where his widowed mother and family lived. This influenced him to return to the west.

On the 17th of February, 1858, Mr. WILLIAMS was united in marriage to Miss Frances Mary ROBINSON, of Chicago, and after spending some two months in the east, purchasing his stock of dry goods, thus combining pleasure with business, he returned with his bride to Davenport and in May, 1858, became the junior partner of the firm of ELDRIDGE & WILLIAMS, at No. 123 Brady street. During the succeeding three years the business increased rapidly, necessitating trips to New York and Boston, which Mr. WILLIAMS made three or four times each year in order to purchase goods in eastern markets. They were enjoying substantial success at the time of the outbreak of the Civil war. Within a few months nearly all business was paralyzed and failures were the order of the day. ELDRIDGE & WILLIAMS were among the unfortunate ones and were obliged to succumb to the pressure.

The financial outlook was dark and discouraging but Mr. WILLIAMS was of an optimistic nature and believed that the obstacles and difficulties could be overcome by persistent, determined and honorable effort. He desired to take part in the struggle in which his country was engaged, but his only brother, Belden WILLIAMS, and Frank C. ROBINSON, his wife's only brother, were among the first to enlist, serving faithfully through the long four years of the war. With those two at the front, Mr. WILLIAMS felt convinced that his duty must lie at home in the care of his widowed mother, his young wife and child. Accordingly, in the fall of 1861, he accepted a position with Sickles & Preston, a prominent hardware firm of Davenport, with whom he continued for about four years, two of which he spent upon the road as traveling representative of their wholesale house that had just been established in Chicago. At the end of that time he received an offer from the well known hardware firm of William BLAIR & Company, of Chicago, bringing him a large advance in salary. He traveled for that firm for four years, at the expiration of which time he was quite ready to settle down in the city of his choice ? Davenport ? where his family had continued to reside during the six years which he had spent upon the road, giving the best powers and strength of his young manhood to the honorable canceling of all of his indebtedness.

In 1869 Mr. WILLIAMS formed a partnership in the wholesale heavy hardware trade with R. SIEG, under the firm style of SIEG & WILLIAMS. His comprehensive knowledge of the business naturally made him the buyer for the house and during the eighteen years in which he was connected with the business he contributed largely to the upbuilding of a profitable enterprise which is still continued under the name of the SIEG Iron Company. The firm of Sieg & Williams were extensive jobbers in heavy wagon stock and other manufacturers' hardware, and in addition to his mercantile interests Mr. WILLIAMS was a director of the Security Fire Insurance Company, a member of the Board of Trade and was connected with other business organizations. As the years went by he prospered in his undertakings, becoming recognized as one of the foremost merchants and leading business men of the city. His name stood as a synonym for commercial integrity, for he never made engagements that he did not fill nor incurred obligations that he did not meet. His methods were progressive and his course won for him the admiration and respect of his contemporaries and colleagues. Mr. and Mrs. Williams became the parents of four children, namely: Ella, who gave her hand in marriage to J. S. THOMPSON and now resides in Escondido, California; Anna, the wife of Dr. J. P. CRAWFORD, whose sketch appears on another page of this work; Frederick CROSBY, who passed away in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on the 21st of September, 1894, when twenty-four years of age; and Joseph ROBINSON, who died on the 19th of February, 1894, when a youth of eighteen years.

Mr. WILLIAMS passed away at Atlantic, Iowa, December 15, 1887, after a brief illness of ten days. He had for nearly thirty years been intimately associated with the growth and development of Davenport and was deeply interested in everything which promoted its prosperity. He felt a special interest in the Hennepin canal project and the building of the Davenport, Iowa & Dakota Railroad and was one of its directors. His cooperation could always be counted upon to further movements for the public good and he gave of his time and means, as it was possible, to aid in the work of general improvement. While in business in New York, he became a member of the Baptist church and for more than three decades was a consistent and active worker in the denomination.

He served for a number of years as senior trustee in the Calvary Baptist church of Davenport. While he became known as a prominent and representative business man, it was his Christian spirit that made him most honored, for he molded his entire life in conformity with the teachings of his Master, ministering to others as the occasion offered and giving freely of his means to the support of the church and charity. He was one of the teachers in the Sunday school, a worker in the Young Men's Christian Association and at the time of his death was taking a most active and helpful interest in the work of erecting a house of worship for the Baptist people, acting as chairman of the building committee.

It has been said: "Not the good that comes to us but the good that comes to the world through us is the measure of our success," and judged by this standard Alexander Fraser WILLIAMS was a most successful man.

1. Ella Ophelia b 5 Mar 1859, Davenport, m. John S. Thompson living in Escondido, CA 1928
2. Anna Williams b 26 Feb 1862 in Davenport m. 14 Oct 1885 Dr. Jennings Price Crawford, d 12 Oct 1928 in Los Angeles, CA
3. Frederick Crosby b 11 Sept 1870 in Davenport d of tb 21 Sept 1894 Colorado Spgs, El Paso, CO
4. Joseph Robinson b 19 Mar 1879 in Davenport d 11 Feb 1894 in Dav of brain tumor. "Rob" bur Oakdale with siblings.

2 comment(s), latest 7 years, 10 months ago

LINDSAY: James Edwin, logging king in Village of E. Davenport, m. Mary Helen PHELPS in Schroon River, Essex, NY

James Edwin LINDSAY DOD 1915 Oct 13 Davenport, Scott, IA, Chronic Myocarditis,
interred 1915 Oct 15, Sec 20, Lot 21, Inter # 8670

Prominent for many years among the mill operators of the Mississippi river were James E. LINDSAY and John B. PHELPS, who as LINDSAY & PHELPS were for nearly forty years connected with the manufacture of lumber at Davenport.

James Edwin LINDSAY, the subject of this sketch, was born at Schroon, Essex, New York, April 12, 1826. His ancestors came from Scotland in 1731 and settled at Argyle, New York. His great-great-grandfather was Donald LINDSAY, who was interested in the grant which was extended to Laughlin Campbell and was one of the hundred founders of that early Argyle community.

His training between 1826 and 1847 terminated with one year's schooling in civil engineering at Norwich, Vermont. His father was a hotel keeper, farmer and lumber manufacturer combined. Young LINDSAY worked at measuring and the hauling of logs at his father's mill, a water power affair propelled by the old-style "flutter wheel." This sawmill was facetiously called the "Thunder Shower Mill" on account of its utter inability to operate unless a frequent rain would kindly fill the small creek dam from which it drew its water power.

Young LINDSAY was in an atmosphere that was apt to make him a lumberman and included his neighbors Israel Johnson, the inventor of the much used "mulay" saw, and Philetas Sawyer, the long time prominent lumberman and for many years United States senator from Wisconsin.

Logs measured about two standards to the log, a standard, according to Dimmock's rule, being measured on the basis of thirteen-foot log, nineteen inches at the top end. They were made up of perhaps twenty-five per cent clear at fifty dollars a thousand; twenty-five per cent second clear at forty dollars; twenty-five per cent select at twenty dollars; and twenty-five per cent common, worth fourteen dollars. Before his twenty-first birthday, a young LINDSAY already had some experience in the logging business in partnership with his brother-in-law John Tompkins. The firm was named LINDSAY & TOMPKINS and existed for four years.

In the fall of 1856, the year he was thirty years old, he came west, and with his savings and what had been entrusted to him, secured about seven thousand dollars worth of lands through land warrants in the Black River Falls (Wisconsin) country.

In March, 1861, Mr. LINDSAY located permanently at Davenport, Iowa, and his Black River timber was logged and rafted to Davenport, where it was sawed into lumber by the thousand at the mills at that place. He had formed a partnership with E. HARRIS, of Queensberry, New York, the understanding being that Mr. LINDSAY was to come west and look about and take an interest in whatever looked most favorable. The absolute trust of his partner in Mr. Lindsay's judgment seems to have colored his subsequent career. He had not only his own interests to further but also had absolutely in his keeping the interests of another. This tended to make him conservative, and he has always been a conservative man. This conservatism, however, should not be misjudged, for he has ever had an aggressive and enthusiastic confidence in the future values of timber lands.

Later in 1861 Mr. LINDSAY secured a lease of the RENWICK mill in Davenport. Shortly afterward John B. PHELPS bought Mr. Harris' interest and the firm became LINDSAY & PHELPS, and it has so continued ? barring its incorporation in 1890, for nearly fifty years. In 1866 LINDSAY & PHELPS built a mill at Davenport. It started with a circular saw; a gang saw was added in 1867, at that time the only gang mill in this section of the country; and in 1880, a band mill was added and other necessary machinery for a more modern plant.

The mill at Davenport continued in operation until the close of the season of 1919? a period of thirty-nine years. The corporation of LINDSAY & PHELPS Company is still being maintained, the present officers being J. E. LINDSAY, president; R. E. LINDSAY, vice president; Fred Wyman, secretary and treasurer; and George F. LINDSAY, assistant secretary and treasurer.

John Baker PHELPS, Mr. Lindsay's long time partner, died in July, 1900.

Mr. Lindsay's confidence in pine timber was of the broader kind, and as early as 1882, with his close friend and associate, C. R. Ainsworth, of Moline, Illinois, he personally located the first holdings of the LINDSAY Land & Lumber Company in Arkansas. Perhaps it may be due to Mr. LINDSAY and Mr. Ainsworth that they be called the pioneer northern lumbermen in Arkansas, and surely they were among the earliest to purchase timber lands in that section. The company's first officers were J. E. LINDSAY, president; C. R. Ainsworth, vice president; J. B. PHELPS, secretary; William Renwick, treasurer. The late Hon. D. N. Richardson, a newspaper man and close associate in those early days of investment in the south, asked Mr. LINDSAY in conversation one day,

"Is there a chance for an outsider to put some money in your southern timber company, Mr. LINDSAY?"
"Not for you, a newspaper man," was the reply, "for it takes long patience and years of constant outgo of money to work out a proposition of this kind, and you who are accustomed to annual dividends would lack the 'sand' to stay with such a proposition." Without hesitancy Mr. Richardson replied, "We have the sand and only ask you to make the opportunity."

Mr. RICHARDSON went in, and up to the time of his death, that quality of sand first shown was ever apparent.

Resulting from Mr. RICHARDSON's enthusiasm later came the RICHARDSON Land & Timber Company, with D. N. RICHARDSON as its first president. The present officers are J. J. RICHARDSON, president; Fred WYMANH, vice president; and M. N. Richardson, secretary and treasurer. The directors are J. E. LINDSAY, Rebecca RENWICK, J. J. RICHARDSON, Fred WYMAN and J. B, RICHARDSON. This company made purchases in Little River, Dallas, Sevier and Howard counties, Arkansas, and later extended its operations into Mississippi. At one time its holdings amounted to one hundred and fifty thousand acres in Arkansas. At this time it owns nearly fifty thousand acres in Mississippi.

In 1884 when RENWICK, SHAW and CROSSETT went north to Cloquet, Minnesota, and organized the Cloquet Lumber Company with George S. Shaw as its manager, Mr. LINDSAY and Mr. PHELPS became members of that company, Mr. LINDSAY now being a director.

The big trees of the Pacific coast next attracted LINDSAY & Phelps' attention and, associated with Weyerhaeuser & Denkmann and the Richardson interests, they organized the Sound Timber Company on December 23, 1899. The officers are J. E. LINDSAY, president; Fred C. DENKMANN, vice president; George F. LINDSAY, secretary and treasurer; and with F. WEYERHAUSER, Joe R. LANE and M. N. RICHARDSON form its board of directors. This company owns something over fifty thousand acres of fir, cedar and spruce in Skagit, Snohomish, Whatcom and King counties, Washington, and Lane county, Oregon.

Interest was again directed to the south in 1901, and Mr. LINDSAY, with Weyerhaeuser & Denkmann, the Laird, Norton Company, Dimmock, Gould & Company, and the Richardson interests, formed the Southland Lumber Company
on May 4 of that year, for the purchase of timber lands in Louisiana. Its officers are: F. E. WEYERHAUSER, president; F. C. DENKMANN, vice president; George F. LINDSAY, secretary and treasurer; Fred Wyman, assistant secretary and treasurer. The directors are F. WEYERHAUSER, E. P. DENKMANN, H. A. AINSWORTH, J. E. LINDSAY, F. S. BELL, F. H. THATCHER, Fred C. DENKMANN, Calvin AINSWORTH, Joe R. LANE, M. N. RICHARDSON and Fred WYMAN. The present holdings are in southwestern Louisiana and approximate one hundred and thirty thousand acres of longleaf yellow pine.

The Southern Lumber Company of Arkansas was organized January 28,1902, by WEYERHAUSER & DENKMANN, DIMMOCK, GOULD & Company, the RICHARDSON interests and J. E. LINDSAY, purchasing the holdings of the LINDSAY Land & Lumber Company, previously referred to, and has at the present time a sawmill in active operation at Warren, Arkansas, and seventy thousand acres of short-leaf yellow pine. The officers are F. E. WEYERHAUSER, president; E. P. DENKMANN, vice president; George F. LINDSAY, secretary; Fred WYMAN, treasurer; N. H. CLAPP, Jr., assistant secretary and treasurer and general manager. The directors are F. WEYERHAUSER, C. H. AINSWORTH, J. E. LINDSAY, F. E. WEYERHAUSER, E. P. DENKMANN, Calvin AINSWORTH, Joe R. LANE, Fred WYMAN and M. N. RICHARDSON.

Mr. LINDSAY is still active in business, keeping in touch with the affairs of the companies with which he is connected, and spending several hours daily at his office. Local enterprises have always received the strong support of LINDSAY & PHELPS, and Mr. PHELPS was before his death, and Mr. LINDSAY now is, identified with many local organizations.

Mr. LINDSAY married in 1858 Mary Helen PHELPS at Schroon River, Essex County, New York. Three children were born of this union; Ralph E. LINDSAY; Mrs. Fred WYMAN, who died in 1905; and George F. LINDSAY. Mr. and Mrs. LINDSAY have two grandchildren, Edith Helen WYMAN and Edwin Blair LINDSAY.

Mr. LINDSAY has always manifested a deep interests in the religious and charitable institutions of the community. He is identified with the Baptist church, having been one of its most loyal supporters for many years. His interest in young men was evidenced by his liberal contribution to the Young Men's Christian Association.

The results of environment are very apparent in a man of Mr. LINDSAY's character. Long years of association with kindly mother nature as exemplified in her vast forests have intensified in him those inherent qualities which are characteristic of the grandest forest growth. Their physical qualities find their counterpart in his mentality ? strength of purpose, uprightness of character and those other admirable traits which are typified by the giants of the forest and the stalwarts among men. He has a minute knowledge of lumber and logs which always he is glad to share generously with his friends and of which they partake with the utmost confidence in his judgment, notably in his home city, the center of a great lumber interest, where and in the adjoining cities of Rock Island and Moline between the members of the LINDSAY & PHELPS Lumber Company and all competitive lumber and logging interests in the three cities Mr. Lindsay's thorough knowledge and sterling character are well known and highly honored.

While of a modest and retiring disposition, one's first impression of Mr. LINDSAY, unconsciously conveyed by him, is that of personal dignity; yet he is always approachable. He is never hasty in judgment and his decisions are always the result of intelligent deliberation. Perhaps the only voluntary exercise of his innate qualities that needs restraint is his ready generosity, his practical sympathy for misfortune. In the sense that makes the characteristic a strongly commendable one, he is one of the most conspicuous figures in the lumber industry of the middle west.

1 comment(s), latest 7 years, 10 months ago

BAWDEN: John DUVALL "Tim" does Boy Scouts lifelong, works for family printing business, marries Joyce Edith GARBER and has 3 children

"Tim" was the youngest of 2 born to George Ray "Ray" and Viola Katherine "Vi" DUVALL BAWDEN on 23 Sept 1929 in Davenport, Scott, Iowa. His brother was George Ray "Binc" BAWDEN, Jr. (see blog)

At a young age Tim displayed a talent for the printing and publishing business when he founded a neighborhood newspaper called "Heights", which he wrote, printed and distributed himself for over 4 years from 1942-1946.

He graduated from Davenport [Central] High School in 1947, from St. Ambrose College in Davenport with a B.A. degree in 1950, and earned his Masters degree in Journalism from Northwestern University in Evanston, Cook, Illinois in 1952.

He was drafted into the Army where he served two years as Sergeant at Ft. Bliss, El Paso, Texas. At his father's death in April 1954, he returned to Davenport to enter the family printing business, BAWDEN Bros. Inc., with his uncle Harry ELDRIDGE BAWDEN and brother "Binc". He became president of Bawden Printing, Inc. and vice-resident of Advertising Communications, Inc. - a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bawden Bros., in Davenport and Iowa City, Iowa.

Tim's life-long interest in the Boy Scouts of America began in grade school when he joined Troop 4 at McKinley Elementary School on Davenport's Middle Road, under the leadership of Dr. Carl H. Matthey. He became troop leader during his St. Ambrose College years, began a scout troop while in the Army in El Paso. When he returned to Davenport in 1954, he became leader of Troop 4 at McKinley. Through the years, he has been leader of Explorer Post 4 at McKinley, Post 7 at the First Presbyterian Church in Davenport, and Troop 24 and Explorer Post 24 at Riverdale School in Bettendorf, Scott, Iowa. Over 100 boys have earned their Eagle Scout Award due to his efforts.

He served for 25 years on the local Boy Scout Council, and as a member of the National Boy Scout Committee as chairman of the National Boy Scout Advancement Committee. He received two of the highest awards: Silver Beaver for outstanding local service and Silver Antelope for exceptional effort on the regional level.

Tim married Joyce Garber on 19 Aug 1961 in Randolph, Fremont, Iowa's Presbyterian Church. She is the daughter of Chester Christopher and Mabel Ione CHAMBERS GARBER. Joyce was born 7 May 1935 on the family farm near the former village of Anderson, Fremont, Iowa. The CHAMBERS family came to Walnut Creek Twp, Fremont, Iowa from Pennsylvania in 1856.

Joyce graduated from Randolph {Iowa] High School and from the University of Iowa, Iowa City, Johnson, Iowa in May 1957 with a BA in Music Education. She taught school in Los Alamos, New Mexico, Fremont-Mills High School in Tabor, Iowa and J.B. Young Intermediate School in Davenport before her marriage.

She had been a leader in many educational and cultural organizations in the Davenport area, serving as president of the Junior Symphony, president of Chapter LM, PEO and president of the Pleasant Valley, Scott, Iowa school board. She sang in Davenport's First Presbyterian Church choir for 20 years and served on the advisory board for Women's Athletics at the University of Iowa.

The Bawdens have been active members of 1st Presbyterian Church where Tim served as elder and deacon. He was chosen Outstanding Young Man of the Year by the Junior Chamber of Commerce, president of the Outing Club, a Davenport dining, bowling and social club, and a member of Davenport Kiwanis Club.

They had 3 children all in Davenport:
1. Michael Thomas b 22 Aug 1962, graduated from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas, married Caroline Susan Kammann 28 Jul 1984 in Crown Point, Indiana
2. Peter CHAMBERS born 14 Oct 1964; chosen high school all-state football lineman, earned Eagle Scout, graduated form Arizona State at Tempe in political science.
3. Cynthis/Cindy ELDRIDGE born 18 Oct 1967. Graduated from Colorado State University at Fort Collins.

Tim also commissioned a family gene study for Alice Richardson Sloane, C.G., author and compiler, Davenport. It was vinyl-bound, printed in 1986 in Decorah, Iowa, 290 pps with photos, no ISBN and no copyright in the possession of this author. There was no interaction between Ms. Sloane, the printer, or Tim and I am making it a several-years-long project to give it some integrity.

Tim died 15 May 1992 in Davenport. Ashes were given to the family.

BAWDEN: Ada, youngest dtr of Thos John and Anna "Annie" BENTON, involved in piano, music circles and talent booking agent, dies at 92

Ada BAWDEN, born 17 Feb 1889 in the 3215 Rockingham Rd. family home, Davenport/Rockingham Twp., Scott, Iowa.

She was active all her life in area music circles, employed as an agent by the Artist Representative Association for 41 years and the Schmidt Music Co. (no longer exists) for 17 years.

She was a performing pianist, choir director and organist for several Methodist churches.

She died 27 Dec 1981 in Davenport, alert in mind, still active as a talent booking agent and residing in the Rockingham Bawden home where the family had lived for almost 100 years.

Her father platted that part of southwest Davenport/Rockingham Twp and named 3 streets after his dtrs: Elsie, Minnie and Ada. Ada Avenue no longer exists - now Johnson Ave. This part of town is still known in county plat books as Bawden's Addition.

1 comment(s), latest 7 years, 10 months ago

BAWDEN: Minnie, dtr of Thos and Anna "Annie" BENTON, marries Carl S. FINNE and they lived on Minnie Ave. in Rockingham Twp, Scott, Iowa

Minnie BAWDEN FINNE was born 9 Nov 1884 in Davenport, Scott, Iowa. She married 20 Jun 1907 in the Bawden family home on 3215 Rockingham Rd.

Carl was born 13 Jan 1885 in Sloan, Iowa. At their marriage he was a shoe salesman in the Boston Store, downtown Davenport, which became Petersen-Harned-Von Maur.

Carl died in the Minnie Avenue home 24 Jul 1957. Minnie died there 18 Jan 1958 and is buried with Carl in Davenport's Oakdale Memorial Gardens. They had no children. They were active members of St. John's Methodist Church in Davenport.

Minnie's father platted this southwest part of Davenport/Rockingham Twp and named 3 streets after daughters: Minnie, Elsie and Ada. The latter no longer Johnson Avenue. This area is noted in city plat books as Bawden's Addition.

1 comment(s), latest 7 years, 10 months ago