early Wellington CHURCHES New Zealand & their Ministers 1839 - 1898
the followng list of churches and ministers has much more information and old photos at the site EARLY WELLNGTON CHURCHES
Church of England Society, 1839
- a list of the original members:
The Earl of Devon; Lord ASHLEY, M.P.
Lord COURTENAY; Viscount Sandon, M.P.
Hon. F. BARING, M.P.
J. J. BRISCOE Esq., M.P.
W. E. GLADSTONE Esq., M.P.
J. R. GOWEN Esq.
Sir Stephen GLYNNE Bart, M.P.
E. HALSWELL Esq.
Williamm HUTT Esq., M. P.
Sir George SINCLAIR, Bart., M.P
J. A. SMITH, Esq., M.P.
Alderman THOMPSON, M.P.
the Archdeacons of London and St. Albans
the Dean of Chichester
Reverends: G. H. BOWERS, G. BRETT, A. M. CAMPHILL, G. HAMILTON, S. HAWTREY, W. HARNESS, Samuell HINDS, D.D., W. SELWYN and J. G. WARD
the members of the Committee:
Hon. Francis BARING, M.P.
Sir G. SINCLAIR, Bart., M.P.
J. Ivatt BRISCOE Esq., M.P.
Williamm HUTT, Esq., M.P.
Rev. Dr. HINDS
Rev. W. SELWYN
G. S. EVANS Esq., D.C.L.
E. HALSWELL Esq., F.R.S.
W. SWAINSON Esq., F.R.S.
H. St. HILL Esq.
E. Betts HOPPER Esq.
H. MOREING Esq
- In 1839 two Wesleyan missionaries, Messrs BUMBY and HOBBS, arrived at Port Nicholson, in the course of a voyage round the island in search of suitable places at which to plant new mission stations ...
Rev. James BULLER (1812-1884)
Rev. John MacFARLANE held services at Mr HUNTER's store at Pito-one, (Petone) and later in the thatched cottage at Thorndon.
Rev. J. F. CHURTON
Rev. J. G. BUTLER resided at Pito-one, close to Colonel Wakefield's house near the beach
Rev. John ALDRED arrived from Kawhia on the 23 Dec 1840 and fixed his abode near Te Aro Pa
The Episcopal Church, 1841
a public meeting in the Town Hall, Windsor, England, on the 17th November 1841, at which the Mayor, Mr. John BANNISTER, presented a service of communion (plate of six pieces) to Bishop SELWYN on the eve of his departure for New Zealand.
Rev. Henry WILLIAMS
Rev. William WILLIAMS, Archdeacon of East Cape
Rev. J. F. CHURTON was appointed to Auckland.
Rev. Robert COLE, accompanied Rev Selywn from England
High Mass, 1840
Rev. Father J. P. O'REILLY arrived in Wellington in 1842, and utilised an old store on the beach for some time in which to celebrate Mass. He secured a site for a church in Boulcott Street, and erected the first Catholic church in the town
started by Mr. Jonas WOODWARD in 1842 and held in the Mechanics' Institute, corner of Charlotte Street
Primitive Methodist, 1847
The Sydney Street Primitive Methodist Church was founded in 1847, Mr Henry GREEN being the first resident minister. The original church was a sod one, which was shaken down by the 1848 earthquake
St. Peter's, 1848
The Wellington Spectator of September 23, 1848, announced that the new church at Te Aro (St. Peter's) was opened for divine service on the previous Sunday, the church at Thorndon being closed for the day (many old photos at top link)
Hutt Church, 1849
Rev. R. Cole preached to two hundred and fifty persons at the opening ceremony of the Lower Hutt Church in 1849. The building, of wood, stood not far from the Hutt bridge and was built by Mr. Hart UDY, from a design by Mr. CRIDLAND
St. Mary's, Hill Street, 1850
The Catholic faithful of Port Nicholson will be glad to hear that the blessing of the first stone of St. Mary's Cathedral Church is fixed for Sunday, September 8, 1850. The ceremony will be announced by the ringing of the bell; at 2 o'clock the bishop and his clergy will proceed to the blessing of the foundation stone.
Consecrated by the Bishop, it was attended by the priests. Of the acolytes, five were Maori (one of them bore the train of the Bishop). A Maori hymn was sung by the natives, of whom there were about 80 converts to the Roman Catholic faith
Very Rev. Father PETITJEAN
Bishop VIARD, the first Bishop of Wellington,
His Grace Archbishop REDWOOD
Karori Church, 1852
The first church services at Karori were held in Mr. Stephen LANCASTER's house Chesneywold.
Rev. W. SEWEL
Bishop ABRAHAM (Ven. Archdeacon Abraham, D.D., of Waite-mata, who had gone to England for consecration as Bishop of Wellington)
Rev. Thomas FANCOURT
Right Rev. Dr. SPROTT, Bishop of the Diocese
St. John's Presbyterian, 1853
70 residents of Wellington signed and sent Home to the Free Church of Scotland a requisition for a qualified minister. . In consequence of this the Rev. J. MOIR came out with his family in 1853. A church seating 150 was built in Dixon Street
Rev. J. PATERSON
First General Synod, 1859
The Spectator of March 10, 1859, announced that the first meeting of the General Synod of the United Church of England and Ireland, in New Zealand, took place at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, March 8, 1859. The Bishop of New Zealand and Bishops of Christchurch and Nelson were present, also:
Archdeacons W. WILLIAMS, BROWN and KISSLNG
Revs: R. BURROWS, S. WILLAMS, J. C. BAGSHAW, S. POOLE and:
Messrs: ATKINS, BURY, FEARON, HAULTAIN, HIRST, St. HILL, SWAINSON and WILLIAMS
St. Andrew's Church of Scotland
The foundation stone of St. Andrew's Church of Scotland, Lambton Quay, was laid on Monday, 25th June, 1866, by Robert Roger STRANG, Esq., Lay representative of the Church of Scotland in New Zealand in the presence of:
Rev. J. S. MUIR, the minister
Messrs. C. W. SCHULTZ, David RAINE, John MARTIN, D. McINTYRE, Francis SIDEY, D. WILKINSON, William JAMES, M. QUIN, J. McLAGGAN, Peter LAING, John SMITH, Robert KIRTON
members of the building committee: C. Julius TOXWARD, architect
John Augustus PETHERICK, builder
Sir George GREY, K.C.B., Governor of the Colony
Dr. I. E. FEATHERSTON, Esq., superintendent of the Province of Wellington
During the evening a bazaar was held in the Oddfellows' Hall, Lambton Quay, the following persons participating in the proceedings
Mrs & Miss WRIXON, Mr. GREENFIELD, Miss HUGHES, Mrs JAMES, Mrs RHATAGAN, Miss SMITH, Mrs CRAWFORD, and many others.
The refreshment and other stalls were in charge of:
Mrs CHARTEN, Miss WILSON, Mrs SMITH, Mrs FARMER, Mrs SSCHWARTZ and Miss KINNIBURG. Miss QUIN was postmistress-general.
The Synagogue, 1870
The Jewish Synagogue, Wellington Terrace, was built early in 1870. The Rev. Mr Van STAVEREN in charge of the Wellington community since 1877
The First Bishop of Wellington
Bishop ABRAHAM, consecrated in 1859, resigned his See on the 1st June, 1870, and the Rev. Octavius HADFIELD, Archdeacon of Kapiti, succeeded him on the 9th October, 1870, being consecrated at St. Paul's, Wellington
St. Mark's, 1876
St. Mark's Church was consecrated on the 21st May 1876 by the Right Rev. Octavius Hadfield, Bishop of Wellington, assisted by the Ven. Archdeacon STOCK, Rev. B. W. HARVEY, Rev. F. SHERIFF and Rev. C. D. de CASTRO. Rev. R. COFFEY, was in charge of the parish until his death in March 1907
United Methodist, 1876
A large church was built in Courtenay Place in July, 1879, the Rev. H. B. REDSTONE being the first minister
The Baptist Church, Vivian Street, was opened in 1895. The church was constituted at an assemblage in the Polytechnic Hall in Featherston Street on the 20th January, 1878, with a membership of 19, Mr. T. HARRINGTON being minister during the first year of its operations
Sailors' Friend Society, Church and Institute
This society (formerly known as the Missions to Seamen) was established by the Rev. James MOORE in 1898. The first meetings were conducted in any available shed on the wharves, under very trying circumstances
1928: President, Mr. C. J. MacKAY
secretary, Mr. K. PURCHAS
St. Peter's Mission, Taranaki Street, was founded in 1904 by the Rev. George Paul DAVYS, one time vicar of St. Peter's Parish