A CHRONOLOGY OF GOWRIE PARK, CAMPBELLFIELD, VIC., AUST. AND ITS OWNERS, OCCUPANTS.
Gowrie or Gowrie Park was the southern half (320 acres) of section 5,Will Will Rook.
It fronted Hilton St, a government road,which the Oaklands Hunt apparently called Glenroy road.* The Morley St house blocks are just within the western boundary and the house blocks in Andrew and John Streets just within the northern boundary. Fairleigh St houses indicate the eastern boundary of section 5 and Gowrie Park. (Melway 17 B1 and F2, north to 7 B11 and the midpoint of the western boundary of the Melbourne Water Retarding Basin in 7 F12.)
(* Being set going again the pack continued north over the Glenroy-lane into Mr Robertson's, thence through Mr A Gibb's property on to the Broadmeadows-road**. Sunbury News and Bulla and Melton Advertiser (Vic. : 1892 - 1900) Saturday 1 September 1894 p 2 Article.) **If in Broadmeadows, today's Camp Rd was called Campbellfield road but if in Campbellfield,it would be called the Broadmeadows road.
63-65 Gowrie Street Glenroy
BUY INTO HISTORY
A precious piece of Glenroy?s history awaits the buyer of Gowrie House, one of oldest surviving homes in the district.Built in 1855, the property with a heritage overlay is closely related to the earlier constructed Meadowbank, now known as the manner(SIC) house in Campbellfield. Standing tall behind a circular driveway on a large 1495sqm block approx, the house makes an eye-catching statement in this suburban street of late 20th century homes. Impressive,it would not look out of place in Scotland?s lowlands because its architecture is based on the traditional house of a Scottish laird (landowner).
The solid blue stone house features a slate roof, tall chimneys, prominent gable dormer windows and dressed stonework quoins and copings. It was constructed for Scottish migrant and noted pastoralist James Robertson on one of two homestead lots that were part of a Crown pre-emptive right acquired in 1848 by Robertson and his cousin Alexander Gibb. Gowrie House is on the northern section of the divided allotment.
The exterior is in the original condition and comes complete with a foundation stone inscribed with the date of its formation. Over the years, the stables and outbuildings have been demolished while the interior has been extensively renovated to meet modern lifestyle needs.(etc.)
James Gibb and James Robertson,both of whom had married Coupar sisters set up a coach building/blacksmith business and at about the time leased 640 acres from the Crown. Although prizes were won with Gibb and Robertson ploughs in 1850, James Robertson seemed to have had another Campbellfield blacksmith by the name of Myers as a business partner by 1845. It is presumed that the land leased in 1841 (of which nothing has been found on trove)was crown allotment 5, which was sold to Gibb and Robertson in 1848 for a pound per acre*. Nothing more was heard of James Gibb (the blacksmith)and the co-grantee was his brother,Alexander.
*The article about crown land sales (P.2, The Melbourne Argus, 3-3-1848) states that Gibb and Robertson had paid a pound per acre for lot 32, 640 acres, which was wrongly described as portion 12,Will Will Rook. Section 12 of 1189 acres (today's Northcorp Industry Park and east to Merri Creek) was granted to Neil Campbell.The Will Will Rook parish map (google WILL WILL ROOK, COUNTY OF BOURKE)names AndrewGibb as the co-grantee with J.Robertson,not James Gibb.
1863. James Robertson,320 acres, "Gowrie Park", net annual value 144 pounds- as for Gibb's. (Broady rates.)
ROBERTSON.-On the 17th inst., at Gowrie-park, Campbellfield, Ann, the beloved wife of James Robertson,
aged 58 years.(P.4, Argus,18-12-1872.)
THE Friends of JAMES ROBERTSON, of Gowrie Park, Campbellfield, are respectfully requested to follow the remains of his late wife to the Campbellfield* General Cemetery on Thursday, the 10th inst., at 2 o'clock p.m. The funeral to move from his residence, Gowrie Park.(P.8, Argus, 18-12-1872.) *Will Will Rook Cemetery.
ROBERTSON?KIRKLAND.?On the 17th January, at the residence of Robt. Kelly, Coburg, brother-in-law
of the bride, by the Rev. John Cooper, John Robertson, Superintendent Jika Reformatory, and eldest son
of James Robertson, Gowrie Park, Campbellfield, to Kate, fifth daughter of A. Kirkland, late Sub-inspector
of Constabulary, Lisbellaw, Fermanagh, Ireland. (Illustrated Australian News (Melbourne, Vic. : 1876 - 1889) Wednesday 21 February 1877 p 30 Family Notices.)
No 320 acre property at Campbellfield but a James Robertson had 217 acres at Somerton. (Broady rates.)
ROBERTSON. ?On the 28th inst., at Sunnyside, Waggarandall, the residence of his son-in-law, Mr.James Moodie, James Robertson, late of Gowrie-park, Campbellfield, and No. 6 Bridport-street, Albert-park, aged 80 years. A colonist of 47 years.(P.1, Argus,30-7-1888.)
The Gibb in-laws, the descendants of James Robertson,were supposed to have moved away from Gowrie Park in 1872, so who was the J.R.Robertson,of Gowrie Park, Campbellfield whose very fine cow sold for 11 pounds two decades later? (P.30, Argus,24-12-1892.)-digitisation near bottom but actual portion of newspaper can't be found.First-class milkers, 7 to 11,the latter price being given for a veiy fine cow. the property of Mr. J. R. Robertson, Gowrie park, Campbellfield.
Thomas B.C.Robinson* leasing 317 acres, "Gowrie" at Campbellfield from James Robertson.(P.S.Perhaps the farm was leased in two parts,the house on 3 acres and the remaining 317 acres for grazing.) James Robertson of Somerton had two parcels,of 44 and 180 acres at SOMERTON. (Broady rates.)
ROBISON.-On the 27th May, Henry, eldest son of *T. B. C. Robison, "Laurieston," Church-square, St.Kilda. Interred St. Kilda Cemetery,Tuesday, 28th inst. (P.1, Argus,29-5-1901.)
P.S.ROBISON (nee Pye)-On the 5th January, at Brunswick, the wife of T. C. Robison, 'Gowrie,'Campbellfield- a son. (P.1, Argus,8-1-1908.)
Robert Lewis**,trainer,owns the 317 acre "Gowrie."
**It seems that,like Jim Pike (see KILTS AND COW DUNG FLATS), Robert Lewis combined riding and training.
Lewis and the Derby.
R. Lewis has a remarkable riding record in the Victorian Derby, having piloted seven winners. He won on Maltster in 1900, Hautvilliers in 1901, Sylvanite in 1904,Alawa in 1908, Wolowa in 1912, Carlita in 1914, and Furious last year. (P.6, Argus,3-11-1922.)
CAR ILLEGALLY USED. Charged with having illegally used a motorcar, Alexander Leslie Brothers, farm assistant of Gowrie Park Campbellfield appeared at the Essendon Court on Monday. (P.8, Argus, 8-4-1930.)
on 2014-07-11 12:44:06
Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.