George Burnett Anderson, Victoria, Australia :: Genealogy
<< Previous - Next >>

George Burnett Anderson, Victoria, Australia

Query by Morgan2409

I am looking for a marriage for George Burnett Anderson and Ernestine ?
Rose Hannah should be the daughter of William Jones and Mary Solden

Geo. Burnett Anderson
Birth Year: Abt 1880
Age: 62 years
Death Place: Diamond Creek, Victoria
Father: Bernard Anderson
Mother: Rose Hannah Jones
Reg Year: 1942

ANDERSON.-On August 29, at his residence, Cleveland, Plenty, George Burnett,loving husband of Ernestine Anderson,
dearly loved father of George (A.M.F.), and loved granddad of Colin, aged 62 years.
-Peacefully sleeping

ANDERSON.- The Funeral of the late GEORGE BURNETT ANDERSON, of Plenty, will leave E. Taylor and Son's Funeral Parlours, Ivanhoe, THIS DAY, at 3.30 p.m., for the Heidelberg Cemetery.
The Argus 31st August 1942

Viewed: 1246 times
Likes: 0
by Morgan2409 Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2015-03-18 22:04:13

Morgan2409 , from Cheltenham, Victoria, Australia, has been a Family Tree Circles member since Jan 2014.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


by tonkin on 2015-03-18 22:40:08


Groom: George Burnett ANDERSON.
Bride: Ernestine JONES.
Year married: 1925.
Place: Victoria, Australia.
Ref: Registry of Marriages, Victoria. Reg #4832.

by Morgan2409 on 2015-03-18 23:05:28

Thanks Tonkin,
I made a mistake, and have amended the posting. Rose Hannah should be the daughter of William Jones and Mary Solden. There appears to be another 2 marriages for George Burnett Anderson. Is it the same person?

by tonkin on 2015-03-18 23:29:00


Name: George Bernard ANDERSON.
Born: 22 October 1879, Port Adelaide, South Australia.
Father: Bernard ANDERSON.
Mother: Rose Hannah JONES.
Ref: Registry of Births, South Australia. Book 229. Page 107.

This appears to be the birth of George going by his parents named at death.
George must have changed his second given of Bernard to Burnett, or it was recorded wrong in the birth records to start with.

My searches to date indicates George Burnett ANDERSON was married two times before he married Ernestine JONES in 1925. I'll put a few more details together and see if we come to the same conclusion.

by Morgan2409 on 2015-03-18 23:51:14

Hi Tonkin,
I come up with the same conclusion

by tonkin on 2015-03-19 00:34:54

George's 1st MARRIAGE.

Groom: George Burnett ANDERSON.
Birth place: Given as South Australia.

Bride: Christina Gregor MCLENNAN.
Birth place: Given as Warracknabeal.

Year married: 1911.
Place: Victoria, Australia.
Ref: Registry of Marriages, Victoria. Reg #10065.


Name: Christina Gregor ANDERSON.
Died: 1915 Diamond Creek, Victoria.
Age: 28 years.
Father: Donald MCLENNAN.
Mother: Isbla (Isabella) DISHER.
Ref: Registry of Deaths, Victoria. Reg #1161.


Name: Christina Gregor MCLENNAN.
Born: 1886 Warracknabeal, Victoria.
Father: Donald MCLENNAN.
Mother: Isabella DISHER.
Ref: Registry of Births, Victoria. Reg #22897.

by tonkin on 2015-03-19 03:06:37

George's 2nd MARRIAGE.

Groom: George Burnett ANDERSON.
Bride: Christina Jane MOORE.
Year married: 1915.
Place: Victoria, Australia.
Ref: Registry of Marriages, Victoria. Reg #11632.


Name: Christine Sarah ANDERSON.
Died: 1922 Richmond, Victoria.
Age: 40 years.
Father: Charles MOORE.
Mother: Sarah SIMPSON.
Ref: Registry of Deaths, Victoria. Reg #14627.


Name: Christina Jane MOORE.
Born: 1883 Talangatta, Victoria.
Father: Charles MOORE.
Mother: Sarah SAMPSON.
Ref: Registry of Births, Victoria. Reg #5783.

Are we on the same channel regarding George's first two marriages?

The three marriage certificates for George would confirm all three marriages I'm sure.

by Morgan2409 on 2015-03-22 03:29:45

Thank you Tonkin,
I am coming up with the same conclusion.
George's Mother Rose Hannah Jones is a bit of a mystery. It appears that she was living with her father William Jones in Adelaide, Williams wife and other children relocated to Melbourne. I believe that after the suicide of William, Rose Hannah remained in Adelaide. I do not understand why she didn't return to her family.

SUICIDE.-On Monday last, November 19,
an inquest was held at the Adelaide Hospital upon the body of a man named William Jones, who destroyed himself that morning at his residence, Peacock's Cottages, Grenfell-street. As soon as the Jury had been sworn, they and the Coroner went to view the body, which was laid out in the dead house. The cause of death was shockingly apparent in a large clean cut across the throat from ear to ear, and shewing the deed done by the unfortunate deceased was deliberate and determined. The deceased, it seems, was formerly in the army, and had been in some of the roughest and most brilliant victories won by the Iron Duke in the Peninsula. He was in the enjoyment of a pension, but unfortunately addicted to drinking for many years. About
twelve months go, he left off this habit and led a life of extreme temperance till a month ago, when he relapsed into his old practice, and carried it on with greater self-abandonment than ever. From the evidence of one of the witnesses, Mrs. Tubbs, it appeared that as long as 18 months ago, when in drink, he told her and other persons he would destroy himself, and that threat he repeated to her on Saturday last, being then outrageously intoxicated. Two witnesses and the Assistant-Colonial Surgeon were examined. Mrs. Jane Roach stated that about half-past six that morning her attention was called to the deceased, who was standing in the doorway of his
cottage making a moaning gurgling noise. On going up to him she saw the blood streaming down from his neck.
When she got to him he retired to a chair near the table, and sat with his head in his hands. The floor underneath him was covered with blood, and on the table was a
razor (produced). She ran to the tannery for assistance, and he was shortly after taken away to the hospital. Mrs. Jane Anne Tubbs said she had known the deceased for
six years. In addition to her evidence previously alluded to, he stated that his wife had left him, taking with her four children to Melbourne, as she could not
endure his conduct while under the influence of drink.
Mr. Graham, the Assistant Colonial Surgeon, stated that the deceased was alive when brought to the hospital.
There was no hoemorrhage,and the carotid artery was not cut. The throat was cut quite across, but did not extend to the back parts. He sewed up the wound, dressed it, and laid the deceased down, but shortly afterwards he was called to the deceased by one of the wardsmen, and then found blood forcing its way in a body through the nostrils. He then opened the wound, to see where the blood was coming from,and inserted a tube ; but the man only lived about three minutes, he was suffocated with blood from the wound. The Jury, without any deliberation, returned a verdict that the deceased destroyed himself while in a state of temporary insanitv, caused by drink. There was only a little girl about nine years old, the daughter of the deceased, in the house at the time, and who was asleep in an upper room; but she saw nothing of the unfortunate event, as the neighbors feelingly entered the house at the back, and took her from her sleep out that way, and so saved the young girl from the distressing spectacle.
The South Australian Advertiser 20th November 1860

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.