James Jauncey & Mary Burlough (Burlow) :: FamilyTreeCircles.com Genealogy
<< Previous - Next >>

James Jauncey & Mary Burlough (Burlow)

Journal by Dibbles

The following information was provided to me by another Jauncey researcher:

James Jauncey married Mary Bulough in 1815 in Ledbury Herefordshire. Mary's parents were Benjamin and Elizabeth Burlow and she was born on 2nd Nov 1789 and baptised on 14 Jan 1790 in Dymock Gloucestershire.

When Mary and James married James had been home on sick leave. he had been recupteratinig in England from June 1813 until Nov 1815 when it appears he was pensioned off. The exact date of his discharge is not known.

Kaye Jauncey provided information that allowed military archives to be checked proving that James was in the 81st Regiment of Foot, 1st Battalion in the Company under command of CAPT Andrew's in Apr 1804. There is a note that says he was transferred from the 2nd Battalion, but he could not be found on their payroll in the period before 1804. James was in the General Hospital from 5 Feb - 12 Apr 1804.

He appeared on the payroll of the 1st Battalion from Apr 1804 until Nov 1815 when he was transferred back to the 2nd Battalion with a note saying that "All men who are not acctually present on the Continent on 25 Nov 1815 have been transferred to the 2nd Battalion on Order of the Duke of Wellington.". There is no record of him being on the Battalion payroll after this date so it is presumed he was pensioned off.

One of the interesting mysteries about James is the statement on his gravestone which says that he was with Sir John Moore in Corunna. From research on the 81st regiment of Foot 2nd Battalion fought at Corunna with Sir John Moore. The battle of Corunna was actually a retreat through Spain during a very cruel winter of 1808/1809 culminating in a few days scramble for the ships while fighting a rearguard action against the French who were obviously trying to prevent the evacuation. Sir John Moore was killed during this battle and is buried at Corunna. There is no reference to the 1st Battalion being at Corunna. James was stationed at Malazzo Sicily during that period. This information is only from going by payroll returns and documents and deoes not actually prove if he was or was not there. He could have been at Corunna as he spent time again in hospital in Sicily from Mar 1809 - Oct 1811.

The 1st Battalion were credited with a victory at Maida Italy in 1804 and so it would make sense that James was at that battle. he was in the general hosital from 5th Feb - 12th Apr 1804 so could have been injured in the battle.

As mentioned before he was again recuperating in hospital in England from June 1813 and in fact until Nov 1815 when he appears to have left the Army.

Rod Selden discovered that James awas at the Hyde park Barracks when he first came to Australia and that there is a lake Corruna so perhaps it was advantageous to James to say that he was at Corruna. Afterall it was twenty or more years after the event so noone would actually know if he was there or not.

No information has been found for the period from when James was nine and was enlisted as a drummer boy by his mother until he joined the 81st in 1804.

On 2 Apr 1831 James was committed to Hereford gaol with Thomas Farmer for stealing 3 bushels of wheat from a Mr Gregg of Donnington. He was tried at the Hereford QUarter Sessions and was sentanced on 2 Aug 1831 to seven years transportation. He sailed on the Lady Harewood departing Portsmouth on 13 Mar 1832 and arriving at Port Jackson on 5 Aug 1832. His fellow convists were Thomas Farmer and Thomas Watkins.

John, the oldest son of James, was tried in Worcester aged 15 on 3 Mar 1832 for house breaking and was sentenced to transport for life. Sailed on Asia I departing downs and arriving at Port Jackson on 5 Aug 1833. He had originally been sentenced to death but this was apparently commuted to transportation for life. The year before he had been tried for stealing a watch and flogged.

In Jun 1831 mary Jauncey (nee Burlough) was in the debtors prison but was discharged at the Insolvent Debtors Court. When James was transported Mary was left with seven children (including John). The youngest was still a toddler. Unfortnately for her Harriet the eldest daughter, married Reuben Mason in 1833 and John had been transported. Life must have been very tough without the two older children to earn a wage for the family. In the 1841 census Mary is shown as a Charwoman and the two youngest William and Robert are still living at home with her.

Mary died on 29 Apr 1857 in Ledbury of heart disease and dropsy. On her death certificate she is shown as a widow although James was still alive in Australia and was a free man by that time.

Communication by the family must have been limited but must have existed as Harriet eventually sailed to Australia to join her brother John. Her husband Reuben had died on 21 Jul 1858. In 1879 she sailed to Australia with her two adult daughters Harriet and Olvie and her 12 year old grandaughter Frances Evelyn Mason. It is not known why she chose to come to Australia at that time, but it may be that John told her life was better there.

Harriet junior never married and is buried with her mother. Frances Evely is mentioned in Johns will. Frances married John McPaul and died in a car crash in 1939. Olive married William Edward Grubb in 1882 in Bega.

Harriet senior left being her married children. Including her son Martin Mason who had married Frances Barnden in 1866 and Frances Evelyn was their eldest daughter.

Martin and Frances had ten children, all daughters except the younges. Their fifth daughter was Ada b1876. She married William Augustus Parker in 1899. He was a baker and she was a dressmaker. They had only two sons William Martin Parker born 12 Jun 1901 and Ronald Edward Parker born 12 Feb 1914. There may have been other children who died young.

William Martin Parker married Edith Violet Chad about 1922 and had William howard Parker born in 1922. His son was Gerald Anthony Parker born 31 Mar 1927. Gerald married Pamela May Lewis on 21 Mar 1948.

Back in Australia John married Mary Carew, an irish girl from Tipperary. It is not known if she came to Australia as a free woman or as a convict. They married in 1842 which suggests John was released less than 10 years after his transportation. It is also possible that he might have been sent to work on a farm as convict labour and given permission to marry.

John and Mary had 9 children.
Their daughter Mary married John Otton in 1862.
Their son William married Sarah Jane Manson Shegog in 1866.
Their daughter Elizabeth married Henry Augustus Otton in 1865, he was possibly brother to John Otton.
Their son James married Elizabeth Susan Jeffery in 1872.
Their daughter Margaret maried peter Horsman Wood in 1872.
Their daughter Julia married Robert James Jeffery in 1876. Robert was the brother of Elizabeth Susan Jeffery. It is from this line that I am descendant.
Their daughter Agnes married John Marten Jeffery in 1883, another sibling of Robert and Elizabeth Jeffery.

Of their other children John b1843 died in 1932, I have no record of if he married or not; and Ellen b1854 died in 1865.

by Dibbles Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2006-08-06 08:35:32

Dibbles , from Brisbane Australia, has been a Family Tree Circles member since Aug 2006. is researching the following names: PIETSCH, MUNN, HOATH and 56 other(s).

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.