John Thomas DUFFY
b. 17.12.1845 Dublin, Ireland
m. 31.12.1872 Masterton, New Zealand
d. 15.03.1899 Masterton, New Zealand
Desc/o DUFFY John Thomas & Elizabeth (nee BENTLEY).
In readiness of our Duffy Family Book being nearly completed, we are gathering in Masterton on 11-13th March 2011 this being the area where JT & Elizabeth spent all their married lives, to celebrate and meet with our clan. Their Chn were: John Henry (m Annie BURLING); Eva Bertha (m John WITHELL); James Herbert George (m Ena CLARKE); Errol Vernon (m Theresa GIESEN nee STEPHENS); Ilma Leonie (m Edgar EATON); Bertram William (m Olive TAPLIN); Norah Caroline (m Joe THOMPSON); Esmond Wilfred (m Nellie MASON); Olive Ioline (m G. REED / R. REARDON); Augusta Mary (m Thomas MCLACHLAN) & Twin Violet May (m Ebenezar LOADER); Evelyn Frances (m Warren WILLIAMS); Iris Isobel (m Arthur CONNOLLY).
Length of residence in NZ at marriage = 12 months
1875/76 Taratahi F/H Taratahi 3 acres bushland
1876 - Application for land No. 5186 - 60 acres, West Taratahi 13 March 1876 - Wairarapa district in the Rangitumau Bend bounded North & West by Ernow(?) lands, East by the Wainuiomapu stream and south by selection of R.F. (?) (200 acres) and being subject to survey and to all prior selection. Section No.134 - Volunteer Certificate No.937 for 30 pounds issued to John Duffy. (copy: ML Hendry)
1875-76 for 85pound a year, held the mail contract Masterton and Castlepoint via Warehama and Nicholl's Ferry.
1877-78 for 100pounds a year, same as above
The route would have run east from Masterton over the present coastal road, as far as Blairlogie when it turned southeastwards and ran to Whareama (Warehama in the old lists), thence northward past Langdale to Te Nui (Nicholl's Ferry originally, then Te Nui to 1909, since Tinui), and thence eastward again to the coast at Mataikona, then down the coast to Castle Point. (copy of letter ML Hendry)
1885/86 Farmer, Masterton - Wises NZPO Directory
1886 - Alfredton Roads Board - JT Duffy requesting board to take steps to have the slips removed from the District Road so that he may be enabled to get some timber through
In 1887 John Thomas Duffy and his family moved from Tinui to the Te Hoe area. His five children were second year pupils at the first Alredton School-then held in Brannigan's barn on Castlehill Road. Some decendants of John Duffy still live around the Eketahuna area today.
John Duffy leased from the Crown, Section 31 (318 acres) opposite the Baker Block at Tawataia.
In 1896 Alexander Stevenson, a Scottish settler and blacksmith, leased Section 31 on which he built a house.
1887- Alfredton School - first year pupils were Brannighans, though they were joined by some Duffy's in the second year.
1888 - Alfredton School roll
Duffy Bertram; Edward; Errol; Henry; Ilma; James
1893/94 Whakataki farmer - Masterton Electoral Roll
1896/7 Run holder Whakataki (north Castlepoint)-Stone's Wellington, Hawke's Bay & Taranaki Directory
1890-95 Settler, Alfredton
NZ Electoral Rolls
1897 - Pahiatua, labourer
From old Wairarapa Newspaper:
Henry Bentley v JT Duffy, claim 4pound 17shillings 6pence. Judgement for the plaintiff by default and costs. (Wairarapa Star 17 March 1897) - extract from letter from Andrew Summers to ML Hendry
Joined Masterton Lodge October 1879 - was asked to leave as never paid