Looking for information on Francis James Skinner aka Jas Skinner - born 1870 in Loddon, Victoria, Australia :: FamilyTreeCircles.com Genealogy
<< Previous - Next >>

Looking for information on Francis James Skinner aka Jas Skinner - born 1870 in Loddon, Victoria, Australia

Question by SammyS

I am researching the Skinner family and have hit a brick wall with my great great grandfather Francis James Skinner who was born in 1870 in Loddon, Victoria. He married Mary Ellen McNamara who was born in Emerald Hill in 1870. If anyone can help with Francis' parents that would be amazing. He was also known as Jas Skinner I believe.

Surnames: NONE
Viewed: 243 times
Likes: 0
by SammyS Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2021-06-28 16:03:16

SammyS has been a Family Tree Circles member since Jun 2021.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:

Answers

by janilye on 2021-06-28 21:02:04

James SKINNER (no Francis on birth cert.) born 1871 Loddon. On marriage registration of 1896, it's James Francis Skinner. James Francis died in South Yarra in 1924, age 54
Mother: Margaret CLEARY 1830-1905 daughter of James and Margaret CLEARY.
Father: Daniel SKINNER 1820-1900, son of William and Nellie; Daniel accidently suffocated by a gas leak from a heater at 188 Neill-street, North Carlton, on 8 June 1900.

brothers William 1864 Campbell's Creek, John 1866 Castlemaine, Daniel 1869 Loddon.

The Herald (Melbourne, Vic.) Saturday 9 June 1900
SUFFOCATED BY GAS,
ACCIDENTAL DEATH.

Mr J. .Sutherland, J.P., held a magisterial Inquiry at the Carlton Court
today, touching the death of Daniel Skinner. seventy-nine years of age, who was
suffocated by gas at 188 Neill-street on Thursday night.
Dr. Lynch, who made the post-mortem examination of the body, stated that the
cause of death was suffocation by gas.
Margaret Skinner stated that deceased was her husband. About 9.30 on
Thursday night he went to his bedroom, taking a candle with him.
At 9 o'clock next morning she found deceased lying in bed,
undressed, apparently asleep. There was a strong smell of gas in the room.
The Jet in the room was full on, and the gas was escaping. She did not
know by whom the gas was turned on.
Marion Patterson, daughter of the deceased, residing at 188 Neill street,
stated that deceased resided at her place.
The last witness called her to deceased's room at 9 o'clock yesterday
morning, He appeared to be asleep, but, after examining him, she sent
for Dr. Lynch, who upon arrival pronounced life to be extinct.
During the afternoon deceased said that there was something wrong with
the gas in the kitchen, and that he would see if it were right In his room.
She did not know whether he went to his room. Deceased was deficient in smell.
The gas must have been accidentally turned on.
Catherine Keogh, servant, said that deceased told her that he had turned the
gas on during Thursday afternoon, but that it would not light.
A verdict to the effect that deceased was accidentally suffocated by gas
was returned.
In the report yesterday it was stated that the room in which the death took
place was small and poorly ventilated. James Skinner, a son of the deceased,
writes to say that the room is of the ordinary size for a single bed, and has a
large ventilator fixed in the wall near the roof.
The body was not removed to the Morgue.

by janilye on 2021-06-28 21:32:59

Mount Alexander Mail (Vic) Wednesday 8 August 1860
FOR SALE.
— A Farm of 70 acres, fenced
and partly cleared, one mile north of Harcourt, Bendigo road.
Is admirably adapted for agriculture and dairy purposes, cannot
be surpassed. Apply to
DANIEL SKINNER,
Mount Alexander Mail (Vic.) Monday 26 October 1863
CASTLEMAINE - POLICE COURT; |
Saturday, October 24.

No Light. — Daniel Skinner, Thomas Skinner, and James Fife were fined 1s each, with 2s 6d
costs, for not: keeping a light burning over their mining claims.
Constable Guest issued the summonses.

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.