<< Previous - Next >>


Journal by itellya

You'd reckon that the name of the author of the history would have been given as John G.Mann! He lived in Harbury, Mt Eliza. John was one of the very active members of the the Mt Eliza Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade. He was a member of the Field Naturalists Group as was Mr S.Mann. When St James the Less Church was damaged by an earthquake in 1932,it was reported:"Mr. J. G. Mann who has an intimate knowledge of the history of the
church, has circulated an appeal for funds to repair the building. A ready response to the appeal is expected."
Frankston and Somerville Standard (Vic. : 1921 - 1939) Saturday 10 September 1932 p 1 Article)

After Frankston High came second in a Wildflower competition run by 3AR and 3LO at the Melbourne Town Hall in 1930,it was reported:"The students have decided to have an exhibition of wild flowers at the school on Monday next, to see how many varieties they can obtain. Mr.Bincham, the local florist, in Young street, who very kindly staged the exhibit at the Town Hall, has agreed to stage the exhibits on Monday. Mr.J. Mann, of Mt. Eliza, who is an expert in wildflowers has consented to attend and name the flowers brought in.
Frankston and Somerville Standard (Vic. : 1921 - 1939) Saturday 25 October 1930 p 4 Article)

It is fitting that Mann Rd (Melway 101 J 9) leads to a reserve. I hope that the wildflowers that Mr Mann so loved grace the reserve!

Plenty of sources state that Canadian Bay was named after three Canadians who loaded firewood there but it was only the previously mysterious Mr Mann who named names!

Without amateur historians such as L.Wilding of Flinders,Isabel Moresby (ROSEBUD: FLOWER OF THE PENINSULA) and John G.Mann, much of the Mornington Peninsula's historical information would have been lost. How John would have loved to talk to Isabel about the flora and fauna of Rosebud and New Guinea!

I always felt a little silly quoting MR MANN as the source when discussing Alfred Jones of the "Almond Bush Stud" at Somerville and the Liverpool anchoring well offshore in Canadian Bay. At least we know now that the author was not the aborigine referred to as Mr Mann in Marie Fels' "I Succeeded Once."

I will be requesting the Mornington Peninsula Shire to ask the City of Frankston to name the anonymous reserve at the end of Mann Rd in Melway 101 H10, the John G.Mann Nature Reserve.

John Mann even listed the wildflowers which could be planted in such a reserve.
Floral Reserve Proposals
Frankston and Somerville Standard (Vic. : 1921 - 1939) Friday 1 April 1938 p 1 Article.

The monthly meeting of the Mt.Eliza Progress Association was held at the Mt. Eliza Hall on Wednesday evening last, when a good attendance of members was recorded. The president, Mr. Tyler, presided. The usual business was dealt with.

History of Mt. Eliza.
At a previous committee meeting, Mr. J. Mann presented a manuscript which for the last few months he has
been compiling, and has now completed. It was read and received with great enthusiasm. Mr. Mann has given in his work a very thorough outline of the locality since it first came into being over 60 years ago.It is very interesting reading now, and will prove more and more so as years go on.

Residents of the Mount are very grateful to Mr. Mann for the time and trouble which he devoted to the work. A hearty vote of thanks was passed to Mr. Mann. The cost of publishing of the book,which is to be printed and published by "The Standard" will be under 30 pounds. This is very satisfactory.
(Frankston and Somerville Standard (Vic. : 1921 - 1939) Friday 20 August 1926 p 7 Article.)

John Mann's "Harbury" was assumed to be near Mann Rd, but the following account indicates that it was near Old Mornington Rd and about 300 metres from Marathon (12 Marathon Drive) which was built on the site of James Davey's "Marysville" (built in 1851.) James Davey later built another house overlooking the bay which was replaced by Sargood's "Denistoun." Why did James Davey call his pre-emptive right the Marysville Estate?

An old resident and colonist named Mary Davey, relict of James Davey, expired this afternoon at the residence of her son, after a short illness. The deceased was 86 years of age, and came to the district early in the
forties, her husband and she being amongst the first white people to take up their abode in these parts. Mr Davey at one time owned a sheep and cattle station between here and Mornington*, and what was afterwards known
as the Marysville Estate was his original pre-emptive right.
(The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957) Saturday 9 September 1893 p 10 Article.)
*There is no evidence that the Kannanuke Run (from the creek to Mt Eliza) adjoined the Ballanrong Run whose pre-emptive right includes the Mornington Racecourse.)

federation-house - Melbourne's Federation Heritage's+Federation+Heritage

Marathon is a large residence and garden established in 1914-24 in the Federation Arts and Crafts style. The house features a conspicuous gabled roof, a tall broad stuccoed chimney and contrasting textures of building fabric, typical of the Arts and Crafts style. The style is also demonstrated in the garden design by the geometric compartmentalised areas, many with central axes, terracing and use of stone for steps and retaining walls.
The garden style also integrates an uncommon Italian design influence by the use of cypresses, clipped hedges, fountains and statuary . The place is of exceptional interest being one of a few notable homes designed for the Grimwade family and it is one of a small group of large summer residences with extensive grounds erected in the first decade of the twentieth century. [15]
Marathon, constructed in 1914, is significant because of the relationship between house and garden. Designed by the architectural partnership Butler and Bradshaw, with substantial extensions designed by Walter and Richard butler in 1924, it is an interesting example of a large beachside residence designed in the Arts and Crafts manner. The garden, also designed by Walter Butler, with its formal terraces, axial layout, structures, stairs, walls, paths, pergolas and ornaments reflects the Arts and Crafts philosophy of garden design, and of creating outdoor "rooms". It is a fine example of Butler's garden design, having the grandest plan and being the largest and most intact surviving work.[16]

WILLIAM ALP'S house (now 4 Cassiobury Avenue)was on seven allotments.(City of Frankston Heritage Study 1991.)The study assumes that it was the house on Grimwade's almond orchard. It would seem logical that the orchard was on or near Orchard Lane on the south side of Daveys Bay Rd but the study,in discussing "Marathon", states that the Orchard Estate encompassed Harleston Rd.

The present Health Retreat on the south corner of Daveys Bay Rd may have been the Childrens' Hospital orthopaedic section mentioned in the same paragraph as Toorak College.

Big Blaze at Mt. Eliza
Stern Fight to Save Property
The most serious outbreak of fire in many years occurred on Monday afternoon when some of the finest homes in the Mt. Eliza district were threatened by a fire which broke out in the dense scrub between Harbury,Mr. John Mann's residence, and the new Pt Nepean road; fanned by a moderate breeze the flames were carried toward the old Mornington road.

Firemen and volunteers waged a stern war with the fire to prevent it reaching Mr. Mann's house. Those who
could bear the terrific heat did what they could to check the advance of the fire while others worked hard
with, axes to. cut away the tall tea tree which grew~ within a few feet of the rear of the house.When it seemed certain that nothing could save the property a slight change in the wind caused the flames to subside a little and the face of the fire nearest to Mr. Mann's was beaten out.

While the fire was at its height in this section, burning leaves or bark were carried by the wind to Marathon,
the beautiful home of Major General, H. W., Griinwade, which stands about one and a half furlongs from Harbury, and ignited the dry grass at the rear of the property. Fortunately the outbreak was seen before it had gained a firm hold and was beaten out. While one party was striving to save Mr. Mann's property another was having an equally stern struggle on General Grimwade's property adjoining Harbury, an almond orchard containing about 500 trees was slightly damaged, but the clearing enabled the fighters to prevent the fire reaching one of houses on the estate occupied by Mr. William Alp.

The fire engine, which could not be used earlier because no water was available, was then taken to a point near Davey's road where a fire plug was found. The value of the new engine was soon demonstrated. Pumping from a main in which the pressure was low an excellent flow of water was delivered from the hose at high pressure and the fire was soon under control at that point.

In the meantime the fire had spread along the bed of Kackeraboite creek and the brigade was recalled to Harbury which was again in the path of the flames. The engine was attached to a private hydrant near General Grimwade's home and water was forced through 600 feet of hose to Mr. Mann's. The pressure was so poor, that the hose itself could not be used, but men ran from the end of the hose to the fire with buckets and succeeded in saving a small cottage and preventing the further advance of the fire in that direction.

The dense scrub in this area was the sanctuary of hundreds of birds that had been encouraged by Mr.Mann to visit his home and to come to him when he whistled. For years he has spent part of his leisure in training the birds to overcome their fear of human beings. Much of the scrub near the house is unharmed, and it is to be hoped that the birds have not perished.

While one face of the fire was being brought under control the other had spread toward the home of Mr.I.Walters and adjoining residences. The fire engine had just been brought to this point when another alarm was given from Miss Violet Teague's property where burning leaves had ignited the scrub about a quarter of a mile from the main fire. This outbreak was beaten out. Had it gained a firm hold several fine homes, the Toorak college and the orthopaedic section of the Children's Hospital would have been endangered. Residents became so alarmed that
the Mornington brigade was summoned but the outbreak was under control when it arrived.

When the wind died down at night the fighters were transferred to the new Pt. Nepean road where the fire was burning fiercely. Working along the face of the fire men and boys beat out the flames and shortly after midnight ,the last of the men were withdrawn. On Tuesday morning many trees and logs were still burning. Some firemen returned to the scene of the fire and extinguished burning trees that were near enough to the edge of the burnt area to cause a fresh outbreak.
(Frankston and Somerville Standard (Vic. : 1921 - 1939) Saturday 11 February 1933 p 1 Article.)

Shortly after "Mr Mann's" history was published, the progress association was discussing sales and associated matters.
Cr. Montague suggested that Mr.McIlroy be asked to take the books in hand also. From what he could gather the booklet was being well received. He had heard several remarks that were complimentary both to the author, Mr. Mann, and Standard Newspapers, the publishers of the work. Many members of other associations had told him that they should be very proud of the booklet.
(Frankston and Somerville Standard (Vic. : 1921 - 1939) Friday 17 December 1926 p 7 Article.)

As well as his community service at Mt Eliza, John Mann was also much involved in Frankston itself. The Frankston Progress Association was keen to assist his efforts.

The Secretary urged members to assist in every way possible for the Annual Flower Show to be held in the Mechanics' Hall next month, and suggested that they get in touch with Mr J. G. Mann and other members
of the committee.
(Frankston Progress Association
Frankston and Somerville Standard (Vic. : 1921 - 1939) Friday 22 August 1924 p 2 Article.)

Wild Flower and Daffodil Show
"In the
From 2.30 p.m.
In the Evening:
Microscopic Slides will be shown by Mr. Jas. Lambie.
All information from-Messrs. P.W. Bartlett, J. Haggart, J. G. Mann,A. Montague, Committee of Management.
(Frankston and Somerville Standard (Vic. : 1921 - 1939) Friday 12 September 1924 p 2 Advertising.)

Surnames: MANN
Viewed: 2093 times
Likes: 1
by itellya Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2014-11-20 08:45:31

Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


by itellya on 2014-12-19 19:40:58

I used to feel stupid citing Mr Mann as the author of the early history of Mt Eliza. The author of the heritage study detailed in my REWRITING HISTORY journal probably felt the same and neatly sidestepped the issue thus:

Geologist A.E. Kitson located a granite quarry at Mount Martha and another at Mount Eliza in his geological survey of 1900. Neither of these quarries appears to have been worked extensively, although a Mount Eliza historian suggested that the granite footings of St James the Less Church of England, were found at Mount Eliza. Mount Eliza granite was also said to have been used to construct the bridge over Kackeraboite Creek in 1861 and the Mount Eliza Store built by James Bradbury.

by itellya on 2018-06-14 22:44:02

As there is not a street named after John G.Mann's residence, "Harbury", and the report of the fire only vaguely describes its location, I was searching for an advertisement which might provide a more specific location. This advertisement did not do so but shows that John's second given name was not George as I had assumed but GILBERT. It also seems to indicate that the Sir Frederick Wollaston mentioned in relation to the location of another old residence was actually Sir Frederick Wallaston MANN.

JOHN GILBERT MANN late of "Harbury" Frankston In the State of Victoria, Gentleman, deceased. AFTER fourteen clear days SIR FREDERICK WOLLASTON MANN of "Motstone" Walsh Street, South Yarra, in the said State,Knight, the Executor appointed by deceased's Will dated the Twenty-first day of November, One thousand nine hundred and fifty-one will APPLY to the Supreme Court for a GRANT of PROBATE of the said Will. (P.8, The Age, 4-12-1952.)

by itellya on 2018-06-14 22:56:58

MANN. — On November 27. In hospital, John Gilbert Mann, of Harbury. Frankston, beloved brother of Frederick Wollaston Mann, of Melbourne, and Charles Russell Mann, of West Australia - Privately cremated.
(P.17, The Age, 29-11-1952.)

by itellya on 2018-06-14 23:54:30


Mann, Sir Frederick Wollaston (1869–1958)

by Elise B. Histed

This article was published in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 10, (MUP), 1986

Sir Frederick Wollaston Mann (1869-1958), chief justice, was born on 2 May 1869 at Mount Gambier, South Australia, son of Gilbert Hill Cheke Mann, chief telegraphist, and his wife Sophia Charlotte, daughter of Rev. John Ramsden Wollaston. Edward Mann was his younger brother. After attending Christ Church Grammar School and the state school at Mount Gambier, Mann studied at home before moving to Melbourne in 1887. That year he worked as a tally clerk and also matriculated to pursue degrees in arts and law at the University of Melbourne. While at the university he worked as a clerk in the Crown Law Department. He graduated B.A. in 1894, M.A., LL.B. in 1896 and LL.M. in 1898 but, although admitted to the Bar in 1896, remained with the department until 1900.

During the South African War Mann was commissioned as lieutenant in the 4th Victorian (Australian Imperial Regiment) Contingent and saw sixteen months active service; he was wounded in the shoulder at Hartbeesfontein on 16 February 1901. He returned to Melbourne on 1 November and, having lost his departmental seniority, next year set up as a barrister in Selborne Chambers.

Mann quickly built up a large practice, undertaking both common law and Equity cases and specializing to some extent in patent law. He became known for his careful cross-examination technique, later likened by (Sir) Robert Menzies to the actions of a man picking his way across a swamp. In these years he was also a well-known yachtsman and an enthusiastic member of the Melbourne Hunt Club. On 8 April 1911 at All Saints Church of England, East St Kilda, he married Adeline Mary Raleigh; they made their home at South Yarra and had five children.

On 22 July 1919 Mann was appointed to the bench of the Victorian Supreme Court. Chairman of the Court of Industrial Appeals in 1931-33, he was knighted in June 1933. On various occasions between 1923 and 1934 he was acting chief justice and when Sir William Irvine retired on 1 October 1935 Mann succeeded him.

Nicknamed the 'Little Gentleman' (he was 5 ft 6 ins (168 cm) tall), Mann was unfailingly courteous in court and helpful to young barristers. He had a reputation for deep learning and was remembered as a patient, careful judge with a strong sense of what the justice of a case required. His pronouncements, always delivered with entire confidence, were invariably clear and precise. On 12 May 1936 he became lieutenant-governor of Victoria, the office imposing a heavy burden of social duties in addition to his legal work. On his appointment the Melbourne Sun described him as 'lucid, fearless, cold, crisp, alert, analytical, unostentatious and retiring … dignified and decorous'. He was appointed K.C.M.G. in 1937.

In 1941 Mann suffered a great personal loss when his elder son, James Gilbert, was killed in action in Crete. Having been chosen as Victorian Rhodes Scholar for 1935, James won brilliant firsts and the Vinerian Scholarship at Oxford, and was regarded as the outstanding young lawyer of his generation. He was a lieutenant in the Royal Australian Artillery when he gave up his life raft to an exhausted man after the ship evacuating his men was bombed. Rather than overload other rafts, he swam out to sea.

Sir Frederick carried on as chief justice until January 1944 when he decided to retire while his faculties were still at their best. At his farewell, tributes were paid by Wilbur Ham, Edmund Piesse and Sir James Macfarlan. He retired as lieutenant-governor in May 1945.

Always a lover of Nature, Mann in his later years found great pleasure in the study of Australian plant and bird life and was a trustee of the Melbourne Botanical Gardens Maud Gibson Trust. With this interest and his attendance at the Melbourne Club, of which he had been president in 1935-36, he spent an otherwise quiet retirement at South Yarra. He died there on 29 May 1958, and was cremated. His wife had died the previous year and he was survived by three daughters and a son. A portrait by Charles Wheeler hangs in the Supreme Court of Victoria.

by itellya on 2018-06-15 00:31:23


Mann, Edward Alexander (1874–1951)

by E. M. Andrews

This article was published in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 10, (MUP), 1986

Edward Alexander Mann (1874-1951), chemist, politician and broadcaster, was born on 11 August 1874 at Mount Gambier, South Australia, son of Gilbert Hill Cheke Mann, telegraph stationmaster, and his wife Sophia Charlotte, daughter of Rev. John Ramsden Wollaston. (Sir) Frederick Mann was an elder brother. Edward was educated privately and at the University of Melbourne. In 1890 he was appointed assistant to the chief inspector of explosives, Melbourne, then in 1895 government analyst in Western Australia and, in 1902, agricultural chemist. He was a member of the advisory committee under the Health Act and responsible for setting up the government laboratory in Perth; as chief inspector of explosives he established the magazine depot at Fremantle. A member of royal commissions on the ventilation and sanitation of mines (1904-10) and miner's phthisis (1911), he produced many technical publications that had industrial or agricultural application. He became a fellow of the Institute of Chemistry of Britain and Ireland (1914). On 11 September 1901 he had married Estelle Frances Leonie Hicks at South Yarra, Melbourne.

In 1916 Mann enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force but while in training at an officers' instructional school was asked by the Western Australian government to withdraw in favour of membership of the Commonwealth Advisory Council for Science and Industry (1916-20). When he failed to get larger representation for Western Australia he took little part in the proceedings, partly because of distance. In 1921 he resigned his post as agricultural chemist, technically over its amalgamation with another, but probably because as president of the Civil Service Association he had been prominent in the public service strike of 1920.

In 1922 he was elected Federal member for Perth as a Nationalist. As an advocate of the duty of all members of a democracy to exercise their responsibility to vote, he steered through parliament the Electoral Act (1924) which established compulsory voting. He was temporary chairman of committees in 1925-28. Mann did not fit into the party system: he strongly supported State rights and was a highly efficient member for Perth. He argued for a reduction in tariffs, joining the Town and Country Union for that purpose, and publicly criticized his prime minister Stanley (Viscount) Bruce, even resigning from the party briefly in 1926. In 1929 he joined Billy Hughes in attacking the Bruce-Page government's failure to prosecute coal-owner John Brown. Excluded from party meetings as a consequence, they joined three others and brought down the government when it attempted to abolish the Commonwealth Court of Conciliation and Arbitration. Although Mann failed to gain a seat as an Independent in the 1929 election, he had the satisfaction of seeing Bruce and the Nationalists rejected by the electorate.

After a brief experience in insurance Mann, under the pseudonym of 'The Watchman', became the 'nearest thing Australian radio had in the 1930's to an oracle'. As the Australian Broadcasting Commission's chief commentator, he had a daily news session, 'At home and abroad', and a weekly programme, 'The news behind the news'. His clarity and fluency created interest; some listeners were attracted because he seemed sincere and independent but others objected to his dogmatism and anonymity. A huge popular following helped to preserve his outspokenness. The government of Joe Lyons, offended by his criticism of its trade diversion policy, put pressure on the A.B.C. to muzzle him. His comments on the Spanish civil war and Neville Chamberlain's appeasement policy, especially at Munich, also aroused opposition.

From September 1939 Mann was subject to censorship on the orders of the Menzies cabinet. His identity was exposed in parliament late in the year. His services were reduced, and he resigned in October 1940 while contesting Flinders, which he failed to win by a narrow margin, as an Independent. Although he returned to the A.B.C. he resigned bitterly when he was deprived of his regular session. His booming voice was then heard on commercial stations; he still held a following in 1943. In 1944 he published Arrows in the Air: A Selection from Broadcasts by 'The Watchman'.

Mann died on 15 November 1951, on a tram in Melbourne, from a heart attack and was cremated. On 2 August 1949 he had married Gladys Alice Kubale at Melbourne and was survived by her and a son and two daughters of his first marriage.

by itellya on 2018-06-15 04:36:42

Notes from John Gilbert Mann's 1926 history of Mt Eliza, concerning family connections and properties which provided street names, will be included in the NANN entry in my subsequent journal:

Assumptions sometimes have to be made and my assumption that Frank Stephen had built Cassiobury has been confirmed. The name of Thomas Watt's property is given, as is the fact that Freeman had built the homestead for him circa 1878, leading to Freeman's purchase (in 1883 if I remember correctly) of 13 acres nearby. Names of people and properties will be given in upper case for quick reference.

by itellya on 2018-06-15 04:38:32

MANN entry!

by itellya on 2018-06-15 13:09:13

CORRECTION. In comment 2, I stated that Sir Frederick Wollaston (actually Sir Frederick Wollaston Mann)was mentioned in relation to the location of an old Mt Eliza property but it was probably Sir Harry Wollaston, who like John Gilbert Mann's two brothers is the subject of an Australian Dictionary of Biography entry. Sir Harry was probably related to the Mann family and Lady Wollaston was a Frankston (Mt Eliza) resident before her departure for London where she died. Their daughter, Susannah, lived for many years in Daveys Bay Rd. I wonder if "Trescott" is still standing. It was probably named after the Trescott Estate in Malvern where Sir Harry lived and died after being hit by a tram.

Miss Susannah Ramsden Wollaston, 65, who died at her home in Frankston on Monday, was the daughter of the late Sir Harry Wollaston, former Comptroller-General of Customs. Miss Wollaston, who was well known among the older residents of Frankston and Mt. Eliza, resided for many years at "Trescott," Davey's Bay Rd. In her early life she was an ardent worker for charity particularly during the last war, but for the past three years she had been an invalid and had lived with her only surviving sister. She is survived also by a brother, a solicitor, practising in Melbourne. Miss Wollaston was privately buried on Tuesday. (P.4, Standard, 30-1-1942.)

by itellya on 2018-07-07 05:23:04

At the time that I wrote the recent comments, Victorian BDM was offline for scheduled maintenance. This is John Gilbert Mann's death record.

EventDeath Event registration number23159 Registration year1952
Personal information
Family nameMANN Given namesJohn Gilbert SexMale Father's nameMANN Gilbert Cheke Mother's nameSophia Charlotte (Wallaston) Place of birthADELAIDE SOUTH AUSTRALIA Place of deathFRANKSTON Age86

John's death record, death notice and the application for probate of his will do not indicate whether he was married or had children but there are many references on trove to Mrs Mann of Harbury, Frankston.

Before moving to Mount Eliza, John appeared to have lived in New South Wales. He'd apparently returned to Melbourne, or maybe settled at Mt Eliza by 1910.

Mr. John Gilbert Mann, of Melbourne, has been appointed to the Commission of the Peace for New South Wales.(P.2, Evening News, Sydney, 24-5-1902.)

Evening News (Sydney, NSW : 1869 - 1931) Thursday 31 March 1910 p 7 Article

MANN—SMITH.—On the 26th December,at St. Mary's Cathedral, Sydney, by the Rev. Father Gorman, John Gilbert Mann, of Melbourne, to Mary Morris Smith, only daughter of Mrs. L. Quirk, of Moonebah.
The Macleay Chronicle (Kempsey, NSW) Wednesday 6 January 1915 p 5

This seems to confirm that Mrs Mary Morris Mann (nee Smith) was indeed the Mrs Mann of Harbury. She was probably meeting her mother and childhood friends. No death record for her has been found on Victorian BDM so she might have died in N.S.W. If she had outlived John, surely she would have been mentioned in his death notice.
Mrs. J. G. Mann, of Frankston, is spending a holiday in Sydney.
(P.2, Frankston and Somerville Standard,18-4-1923.)

Given that John was born in about 1862, he would have been about 53 at the time of this marriage.

Although neither of the Mann obituaries in above comments mention the native place of their father, there is much evidence on genealogy websites that the Mann surname was associated with Harbury[/b}, Warwickshire.

A J.Mann was a draper at Harbury Warwickshire in 1810, Basil Mann of Greenmount in Western Australia in 1923 called his house Harbury and Alan Mann, chief Justice of Papua-New Guines had Harbury as a second given name.
Sir Alan's biographical details show a Wollaston connection.

by garrawayfamily on 2018-07-23 21:17:35

My father managed a property for a Keith Mann of Mount Eliza during the 1970s and 80s. He owned a large holiday park down at Rosebud, a property of about 400 acres. He drove a Rolls Royce and his wife drove a Jaguar. They had 2 sons and a daughter. The property was called Peninsula Gardens, and it was on Jetty Rd. Consisted of a caravan park, wildlife sanctuary, golf course and amusement park. He had a large collection of old fire trucks, horse drawn buggies and even a steam train

by trischa on 2020-04-16 02:45:24

Mt Eliza and Manns:

My mother, Yvonne Ella Mann (nee Stanton) was the wife of Sir Alan Harbury Mann, Chief Justice of Papua New Guinea 1957-1970. After his death in Brisbane she moved to Mt Eliza, where she lived behind Toorak College in Charles Street, in a house she called "Harbury". Yes, the family name did come from the village in the Stratford-on-Avon district of Warwickshire. (House now demolished, roadway and entrance from since changed -- Charles Street used to come off Williams Road, now you enter from Jacksons Road).

She practised as a solicitor with Colin Taylor in Frankston for a few years before practising under her own name from Mt Eliza.

She was a member of the Frankston Golf Club where your "Mr Mann" did much of the planting, and also a member of Canadian Bay Club and Peninsula CGC.

Other flower connections: the Alister Clark hybrid tea rose "Lady Mann" was named for Lady Mann (wife of Chief Justice of Victoria, not wife of Chief Justice of PNG). Sir Alan Mann collected and bred orchids in PNG, and corresponded with scientists worldwide. Hermon G Slade registered two new orchids named for Alan and Yvonne -- Dendrobium Alan Mann (a cross of Dendrobium Caesar: and Dendrobium lasianthera); Dendrobium Yvonne Mann (a cross of Dendrobium Caesar and Dendrobium williamsianum).

by trischa on 2020-04-16 04:50:52

Yvonne Ella MANN: I should have added: YEM was born on 9 October 1914 and died in 2004, aged 89. AHM (nephew of CJ of Victoria, Sir Frederick Wollaston Mann) was born on 25 May 2015 and died on 20 June 1970. Also, to clarify -- both were my parents. (I realise that was unclear from the above. Needed an editor!) They married before WWII and he served in the RAAF, 10 Squadron, and was awarded a military MBE. He practised at the Victorian Bar, took silk at age 38 and was appointed as CJ of PNG at the age of 42, in 1957.) They had four daughters.

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.