<< Previous - Next >>


Journal by itellya

Rosalind Peatey's PINE TREES AND BOX THORNS was a wonderful history of George and Susan Peatey and their descendants. I discovered it soon after I had started my research on the Mornington Peninsula in 2010. I was really excited when I discovered that Rosalind had written another history in 2004.

The CONTENTS are as below.
Introduction page 9, Port Phillip 11, John Batman 14, Joseph Gellibrand 17, John Fawkner 18, The Henry Brothers 20, Armytage and Franks 21,George Smith 22, Sir Richard Bourke 25, Magistrate William Lonsdale 30, Cape Schanck 37, Edward William Hobson: Kangerong and Tootgarook Runs 40, Maurice Meyricks (sic): Boniyong Run 46, Captain Henry Everest Adams 48, Andrew McCrae: Arthur's Seat Run 50, James Purves 56, Edward Latrobe Batman 58.

Apart from the subjects in bold type, this is more a history of the Port Phillip District than the Mornington Peninsula and new information was limited. In this journal, I will detail information that has not been seen in readily available sources and point out errors that could lead readers astray.

Page 14. "John Batman, who was born at Parramatta in 1801, the son of a freed convict, who had been transported for receiving stolen saltpetre, and a mother who had paid her own way out from England, with two children, to be with her husband. In 1816, Batman was apprenticed to a blacksmith in Sydney. This came to an end when he had to give evidence against his employer. In December 1821, John with his brother Henry, moved to Van Dieman's Land."
These facts are in his biography, but are not often mentioned in articles about John Batman.

Pages 25-7 and 30-33. Rosalind gives an interesting perspective of the difficulties faced by Sir Richard Bourke and William Lonsdale to impose order in the Port Phillip District. While they had authority, anything that might cost money, such as a court and police to enforce proclamations, had to be approved by the Colonial Secretary in England. Lengthy delays in getting such approval were inevitable. Such delays were the main reasons that the Hentys, Port Phillip Association (i.e Batman's group)and Fawkner had decided to settle at Port Phillip without permission- as mentioned earlier in the book.

Pages 28-9.
The New South Wales Government Gazette of 19-4-1837, pages 309 and 303, makes very interesting reading, being scans of the pages rather than a digitised version. Items mentioned include Captain Hobson's plotting of the position of the Crocodile Rock in Bass Strait, the naming of Hobson's Bay, William's Town and Melbourne, and notice of a sale of Melbourne town allotments on 1-6-1837.

Page 32. Dr Thompson and Dr Cotter- see under pages 35-6.

Pages 34 and following folding sheet. The census of 9-11-1836. Luckily this too is a scan rather than the digitised version which cannot reproduce columns. It lists the 43 "occupiers in town or proprietors in country" with the number of persons under and over 12 on each establishment, all free with no convicts. The only heads of establishments connected with the Mornington Peninsula's history on the list were George Smith (from 1843 to 1850) and William Buckley (in 1803.) Buckley had escaped from Collins' settlement and made his way around the bay to the Bellarine Peninsula. This trek has recently been commemorated with a William Buckley Walk inaugurated by former councillor Graham Pittock and the construction of a WILLIAM BUCKLEY REST near the boat ramp at Safety Beach. John Pascoe Fawkner is conspicuously absent from the list. He'd most likely planted his crop on the Crown Casino site and built his inn in Market St.(P.18) which Smith was probably occupying, but he had probably returned to Launceston to wind up his affairs there and obtain necessities such as a printing press for his handwritten newspaper.

The folding sheet has a plan of the part of Melbourne bounded by King, Bourke, Swanston and Flinders Sts., showing sections, crown allotments and purchasers. It shows Fawkner's c/a 14, section 3 in Market St, purchased for 10 pounds, where he built his inn, probably occupied by George Smith on 9-11-1836. Fawkner eventually had Smith evicted from this inn so Smith then built the Lamb Inn. The Lamb Inn might have been built on Crown allotment 2 of section 2, 40 metres east of William St between Collins St and Collins Lane, for which Smith paid 46 pounds. The waterfall at the foot of William St played a significant part in the history of Melbourne. It ensured a supply of fresh water upstream and a wide turning basin for ships where wharves were built, the very reason that the Customs House was at the east corner of William and Flinders Streets and the general market was north of it, between Flinders Lane and Collins St and fronting Market St of course. The rocks were eventually blasted and used to line the Coode's Canal in 1886*.

I've often wondered where St James Old Cathedral (where Henry Everest Adams was belatedly married in 1855 when his son Robert was about 9 years old) was originally located. Perhaps it was in section 15 fronting the west side of William St between Collins and Bourke Streets, reserved for CHURCH OF ENGLAND. Interestingly CHURCH STREET, named on the plan as the west boundary of the block north of Little Collins St, has retained its name and can be seen at Melway map 2F,B5.
This map alone makes Rosalind's book valuable as a source.

Pages 35-6. William Lonsdale's return of dwellings, stock and cultivation in 1836-7 (from the 9-11-1836 census) shows that John Batman's statement to Fawkner (recounted by Fawkner in his memories) that Batman had obtained in his treaty any land worth having is confirmed by most squatters having settled in the Geelong and Dutigalla
area (this having been the original name of Batman's Port Phillip Association.) The area on the west side of Port Phillip Bay must have been prized because access was difficult, involving a trip toward Mount Macedon as far as today's Buckley St West, Essendon, known then and for several decades as Braybrook Road and then west to Melway 27 C9 (not 27B8 as wrongly assumed by several municipalities for whose findings the Victorian Heritage Council takes no responsibility.)
"Dr. Alexander Thompson was appointed assistant colonial surgeon by William Lonsdale but (Lonsdale) was to recommend Dr Barry Cotter over Dr Thompson as medical practitioner in charge of the colony." (Page 32.)
Londale's decision* was probably based on the fact that Alexander had already moved to his run by 9-11-1836 and would not be in Melbourne to perform this role. Alexander had arrived in February 1836 but by November his residence was given as Barwon. His trip to "Kardinia" in January, 1837 as described in his biography must have followed some months spent preparing accommodation for the 11 people on his run.

*The following states that Alexander Thompson had resigned.
Pioneer Public Health Practitioners in the Port Phillip District
Presented by Dr Walter Heale.
Dr Alexander Thomson was employed by the Port Phillip Association to provide health care to new settlers. Arriving in March 1836, he was briefly employed by Government, resigning to pursue pastoral interests. His temporary replacement was Dr. Barry Cotter responsible for the care of military personnel and prisoners, and re-employed in 1840 during the quarantine of the fever ship the Glen Huntly.

Pages 44-5. Edward William Hobson's application of 22-6-1850 for the Tootgarook Run to be transferred to Mr James Purves of Melbourne. The second sheet is a declaration that Edward had held the licence for the previous 12 months, apparently a lands department memorial, volume 51, folio 834.

Pages 48-9. Captain Henry Everest Adams.
"We shall probably never know what drew Captain Adams to the Arthurs Seat area in 1842. Even his descendants have little to fall back on in actual facts.... Among the very first settlers on the Port Phillip side of the Peninsula, they chose the western side of Arthurs Seat where they took up a large area from the corner of Wattle Rd (Wattle Place since Lonsdale St. was built) and Nepean Rd, back to Old Cape Schanck Rd."

Luckily some descendants have worked hard to dispel myths in the family folklore, such as the captain being the illegitimate son of Lord Vivian and receiving a 750 acre grant from the Government in New South Wales. When Dromana was proposed on the other side of Arthurs Seat, it seems that the Village of Wannaeue was proposed on the west side. The captain may have obtained a LEASE of the village reserve until such time that there was sufficient demand to ensure good prices for blocks. When the village was alienated in the mid 1870's, the Captain and his son Robert received the grants for all that part of Section 20 Wannaeue between South Road and Old Cape Schanck Rd. Isaac White, the grantee of section 19, between Parkmore Rd and Adams Avenue was a friend of Henry and his wife and may have acted as a dummy to ensure that Henry could acquire that land too. There is no real proof of when the family arrived. Henry was also the grantee of 36 acres on the west side of Tower Rd on Arthurs Seat and 56 acres between Diamond Bay Rd and Mission St. near Sorrento. There is an interesting fact about Henry's marriage in my comment about the folding sheet after page 34 which explains why Robert Henry Adams and Mary Jane, nee Hopcraft, would want their descendants to have such a hazy understanding of the family history.

A family history may well be underway but anybody wanting genealogical information urgently may private message me.

Page 50-54. Andrew McCrae: Arthur's Seat Run. Very rarely do I read information about the peninsula that I have not already seen. Rosalind has done some great research here. Until I read this book, I was unaware that Farquhar McCrae (about whom I became aware in 1988) and Andrew McCrae had a brother, Captain Alexander McCrae who gave one of his daughters the strange given name of Thomasann. Rosalind can be forgiven for stating that Farquhar's "La Rose" was in Moonee Ponds; Moonee Ponds meant in the early days anywhere near the Moonee Moonee Chain of Ponds, not today's suburb, an assumption made by professional historian, Andrew Lemon, who assumed that Glenroy Farm was in Moonee Ponds. Andrew's son, George Gordon, himself made an even worse mistake, assuming that La Rose was on Uncle Farquhar's other property, "Moreland". See:

Rosalind puts Andrew's decision to take up his run in context with her knowledge of the depression of 1842-3. I was thrown into confusion when I read: "Captain Cole had married Thomas Ann McCrae." I thought Rosalind was referring to Captain Alexander McCrae's daughter, Thomasann, who wrote a letter in 1933 signed as Thomasann Blackburn. This letter, shows that George Ward Cole's second wife was one of two sisters of Andrew, Farquhar and Alexander, who had come to the Port Phillip District with them.

EventMarriage Event registration number645 Registration year1842
Personal information
Family nameMCCRAE Given namesThomas Anne SexFemale Spouse's family nameCOLE Spouse's given namesGeorge Ward
Cole arrived in Melbourne on 4 July 1840 in the schooner Waterlily, of which he was part-owner. He set up as a general merchant, and in 1841 bought land on the Yarra River near Spencer Street, where he built Cole's Wharf. In 1842 he married for the second time. His first wife had been a widow, Eliza Cantey, the daughter of Colonel Charles Brietyche. His second wife was Thomas Anne, daughter of William Gordon McCrae, formerly of Westbrook, Midlothian, Scotland. He had one son by the first and three sons and three daughters by the second marriage.

Thomas Ann(sic) Cole MCCRAE
Female 1852 - 1945
Birth 1852 Collingwood, Victoria, Australia
Christened 1852 St Peter's Church, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Gender Female
Died 1945 East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Person ID I656 Victoria Pioneers
Last Modified 10 Sep 2008

Father Capt Alexander MCCRAE, b. 1789, d. 1861, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mother Susannah DANWAY, b. Abt 1812, England d. 1870, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Family ID F73 Group Sheet

Family Maurice BLACKBURN, b. 3 Oct 1848, Campbell Town, Tasmania, Australia d. 1887, Avoca, Victoria, Australia
Married 1880 Victoria, Australia

Page 55. See
The Arthurs Seat pre-emptive right became crown allotment 1 of section B (331 acres fronting the bay) and crown allotment 2 of section B (309 acres adjoining Seawinds, south for 395 metres from a line (1160 metres long heading east from the intersection of today's The Avenue and the freeway)to another line 1940 metres long heading east from about Banks St.
Document showing that Joseph Brooks Burrell who had bought 331 acres in 1850 was applying on 16-4-1859 to purchase a further 309 acres to take his P.R. up to the allowed 640 acres, a square mile.

P. 10. Discussing the Rosebud area, Rosalind stated, "The struggle to survive in a not so paradisical land was possible, and survive they did, as many of their descendants are part of the community today. Of these, the most prominent are the descendants of the Cairns, Patterson and Crichton families from Boneo, the Adams, Bucher, Freeman, Lacco and the Peaty families from Rosebud, all here between 1850 to 1890." The error lies in the Freemans being given as much prominence as much earlier pioneers.
All apart from the Freeman family were very early settlers, some a decade or more before the Rosebud Fishing Village was alienated in 1872; in 1899, John Freeman had purchased 16 acres in the part of section 14 Wannaeue (between First Avenue and Boneo Rd)south of 50 First Avenue and the Hope St house blocks, that became part of Ramsay and Nora Couper's THE THICKET by about 1908. After Hugh Glass's death, his creditors had divided section 14 into parcels of 29 and 29 acres that became Hindhope, the northern half of the grant, and parcels of 20, 20 and 16 acres that became The Thicket.
In 1893,the Landhold Investment Co.was rated on 56 acres, Wannaeue, almost certainly Hindhope. Mrs Alfred Hicks (Harriet) owned one of the 20 acre farms and Ramsay Couper the other. In 1894 Jeremiah Brosman of South Yarra was assessed on 16 acres Wannaeue. This remained the case until 1899 when John Freeman bought the 16 acre property. In 1900 Ramsay Couper was assessed on Mrs Hicks' 20 acres which for years had stupidly been described as being in Rye (where Harriet actually owned another 4 acres.) In 1908 the 16 acre property had the rate collector guessing and assessment No 831 had Couper Freeman as the person to be rated on 16 acres; in 1909 Nora Couper was assessed,Ramsay having the other 40 acres of The Thicket."

Page 12. The term "De pasture licences" is used on the first of many occasions. The correct term was "depasturing licences".

Page 15. The impression given is that the Port Phillip Association was formed after Batman's treaty was accomplished and "private settlers were steadily arriving at Port Phillip." The land acquired by Batman was stated as being "the Bellarine Peninsula and the coastal strip from Geelong to the Yarra", quite ignoring that the treaty took place on, and included, land well north of the Yarra(such as the parishes of DOUTTA GALLA and JIKA JIKA.) The Henty Brothers were said to be members of the association which seemed strange because they had settled near Portland* before John Batman came to the Port Phillip District. (*Edward went first on the Thistle with labourers, stock, potatoes and seed. After a voyage of 34 days the Thistle arrived at Portland Bay on 19 November 1834 at 8 a.m. EDWARD HENTY, WIKIPEDIA.)

The Port Phillip Association (originally the "Geelong and Dutigalla Association") [1] was formally formed in June 1835 to settle land in what would become Melbourne, which the association believed had been acquired by John Batman for the association from Wurundjeri elders after he had obtained their marks to a document, which came to be known as Batman's Treaty.

The leading members of the association were John Batman, a farmer, Joseph Gellibrand, a lawyer and former Attorney-General,[2] Charles Swanston, banker and member of the Legislative Council,[2] John Helder Wedge, surveyor and farmer, Henry Arthur, nephew of Lieutenant Governor George Arthur of Van Diemen’s Land, and various others including William Sams, Under Sheriff and Public Notary for Launceston,[2] Anthony Cottrell, Superintendent of Roads and Bridges,[2] John Collicott, Postmaster General,[2] James Simpson, Commissioner of the Land Board and police magistrate,[2] John Sinclair, Superintendent of Convicts,[2] Michael Connolly, Thomas Bannister, and John and William Robertson.[3]

Page 17. Joseph Tice Gellibrand only had one connection with the Mornington Peninsula but the page about him dealt with Hesse and Gelliband's disappearance west of Geelong, not his trek through the peninsula.
Joseph Gellibrand - Wikipedia
Joseph Tice Gellibrand (1792–1837) was the first Attorney-General of Van Diemen's Land ... In January 1836 he crossed Bass Strait and, landing at Western Port, walked with companions to Melbourne.

J.P.Manifold and J.B.Were were mentioned as others who arrived from Tasmania. The latter was a major grantee in the parish of Fingal near Cape Schanck so another peninsula connection was missed.

Page 19. "(John Pascoe Fawkner) was one of the Port Phillip Association." Oh no he wasn't. Before law was established, the Association had forced Fawkner to move to the south side of the Yarra* where he planted the colony's first wheat crop.

Melbourne Cricket Club was founded in November 1838 when the population of the Port Phillip District was only about 2000.

The first cricket match was played between the MCC and a military team on the Old Mint site in William Street, Melbourne.

However, this area proved unsuitable and in January 1839 the club established its second ground at the foot of Batman's Hill, now Spencer Street Railway Station.

This was Melbourne's cricket ground until October 1846 when impending acquisition for railway use forced a transfer to the southern bank of the Yarra near the present Crown Casino site.

John Pascoe Fawkner had planted the colony's first wheat crop on this field, but it was susceptible to flooding and the club had to advertise more than once for the return of its dressing shed when the Yarra broke its banks!

Page 22. "(George) Smith's first move was to apply to the Governor Sir Richard Bourke for a de pasture licence, 'beyond the bounds of settlement.' Land at Woul Woul a Ballack, along the southern shore of Port Phillip Bay (seemingly from the early settlement of Lieutenant Colonel Collins at Sorrento.)" The assumption that George Smith's run was near Sullivan's Bay comes from the part of the following passage given in bold type.

Contrary to what is widely asserted, he (George Smith) did not hold a licence for Wul-Wul-aBulluk
on the Mornington Peninsula: a thorough search of the original Pastoral
Run Papers produced no papers for Wul-Wul-a-Bulluk in the box which holds
all the original ‘W’ Pastoral Run Papers.50 Wul-Wul-a-Bulluk is not a pastoral
run; it is the name of the house at Capel Sound where he lived in the 1840s.51
He did hold the licence for Tootgarook through the late 1840s,52 and he is on
Commissioner of Crown Lands Edward Grimes’ list for 1848 of people who have
not paid their licence fee.53 George Gordon McCrae described him as a ‘settler’
whose ‘little station’ was seven miles* from Arthurs Seat, the first establishment
past the Old Settlement site when travelling towards Arthurs Seat from Point
. It was ‘called by the natives Wul-wul-buluk’, and it was a little to
the south of what used to be called the Big Swamp**.54 George D Smythe’s 1841
‘Survey of the coast from the west side of Port Phillip to Western Port’55 locates
the first establishment past the old settlement site when travelling towards
Melbourne as Dr Hobson’s sheep station. It is perhaps a quarter of a mile from
the eastern sister on the track to Arthurs Seat and Melbourne, with Cameron’s
station*** a little further on, about midway around Cameron’s Bight.56 Smythe’s
map also locates Tootgarook but he records it as a place or an area with a native
name, not as a run; in fact he makes three of his characteristic dots for locations
of settlers, only one of whom he names, Freeman**** (Thomas records Freeman as
running sheep).
The simple, though for the time, extraordinary explanation is that George Smith
lived with Malvina Hobson nee Lutterell, mother of Edward and Edmund at
Capel Sound. George Gordon McCrae devotes pages to describing their lovely
house and garden and view, and Mrs Smith’s culinary achievements and her
kindness to the McCrae boys. But there is no record of a divorce from Edward
Hobson senior and she died as Malvina Hobson, as indicated earlier.

George Gordon McCrae was a boy, and even adult country people were said to be notoriously bad at estimating distance. Furthermore Georgiana's journal stated that these seven miles were from the Arthurs Seat Homestead ON THE ROAD TO CAPE SCHANCK! This was in relation to four year old Sarah Ann Cain being nursed back to health by Mrs Smith at Wooloowoolooboolook (George's spelling)after being lost in the bush for four days. Seven miles measured from Anthonys Nose extends to Dundas St Rye, and as the McCrae homestead is 60 chains (three quarters of a mile) east of The Rocks, George's seven miles would take us to the left edge of Melway 168 C3 just past Cain Road. As Owen Cain was on Tyrone by this stage, it was unlikely to be part of Smith's run but as C.N.Hollinshed stated in LIME LAND LEISURE that the Tootgarook run extended west to White Cliff, the first measurement (from the rocks) might be fairly accurate, the western boundary of the run being near Dundas St.
However, the following, which has little to do with the peninsula, should serve as a warning that George Gordon McCrae should not be accepted as the ultimate authority on the locations of properties.

**THE BIG SWAMP. Known as the Boneo or Tootgarook Swamp, this was between Boneo and Truemans Rds. Not having a map to consult, young George McCrae presumed that Smith's house was south of the swamp when the Tootgarook pre-emptive right starts roughly 3000 links (600 metres) WEST of Truemans Rd. Complicating matters, Rosalind was unaware that Edward William Hobson had left Tootgarook for Gippsland in about 1843 and been replaced by George Smith while Edward Hobson was managing the RIVER OF LITTLE FISH (Traralgon)* for his brother, Dr Edmund Hobson. She therefore plotted Smith's supposed Run much closer to Sorrento than it really was.

***CAMERON'S STATION could not exist if George Smith's supposed WOUL WOUL A BALLACK run was where it is plotted on page 24.
**** FREEMAN. It is possible that this Freeman was an ancestor of the Freemans named as pioneers of Rosebud, in which case, I'd need to retract my comment about them not being early pioneers, but proof would be required.

Page 23. About this time (circa 1838) Smith's wife, Mary, died."
There is only one death record for a Mary Smith between 1836 and 1843* and as George Smith had a son, apparently approaching manhood,this one would seem to be too young to be George's wife. As the so-called Mrs Smith (Malvina Hobson, nee Lutterell) who nursed Sarah Ann Cain back to health at Wooloowoolooboolook circa 1844 was born in 1799 she would have been about about 44 when she and George moved onto Tootgarook and it could be assumed that she would have been about the same age as George Smith, whose genealogy is a mystery. Malvina died in 1866.

EventDeath Event registration number159 Registration year1839
Personal information
Family nameSMITH Given namesMary SexFemale Father's nameUnknown Mother's nameUnknown (Unknown) Place of birthUNKNOWN Place of deathMELBOURNE Age20 Spouse's family nameSMITH Spouse's given namesUnknown

P.24. A map shows George Smith's Woul Woul a Ballack Run. Its location could be between Canterbury Jetty Rd and Portsea or west from Boneo Rd depending on whether features on the north or south coast are used as indicators. As in the case of all run locations shown, this is too vague to be of any use. Transposition on a present day map is the only way to indicate run locations properly but, as Rosalind mentioned, descriptions of run boundaries are so vague that they are useless. For example the Cape Schanck run description below should state how many miles the run extended west from Main Creek and how far north from the "salt water" to the "unoccupied barren land."

Early runs (approximately.)"As there is little to go on, positions of runs can be only approximate.George Powlett was the District Commissioner for the Southern districts in 1841 and later when Andrew McCrae's run was visited. Marks used to certain gum trees leave present day residents in confusion."

Irrespective of the accuracy of the run locations, Jamieson's Special Survey was not a run. Runs were leased from the Crown; special surveys were purchased not leased.The Arthurs Seat run is not in agreement with the 1848 description as in because George Smith had transferred the land west of the rocks between the Cape Schanck road and the Bay to Andrew McCrae's run, as stated by Marie Hansen Fels in I SUCCEEDED ONCE. This former Tootgarook run land is tacked on after the semi colon as an addendum.
" ; also that piece of land
between the Cape Schank road and the
sea, commencing near the rocks or the
point known as St. Anthony's Nose,
and ending at the creek* at the junction
of the Point Nepean and Cape Schank
roads nearly opposite the end of the
paddock fence."
(*Adams Creek, roughly THE AVENUE, McCRAE. Wattle Road must have provided access to the back road to Cape Schanck.)

The south west corner of the Arthurs Seat Run was at Melway 170 E 7-8 where the Old Cape Schanck Rd crosses Drumdrumalloc Creek (as stated below) but the map seem to show the south west corner just west of Boneo Road.
"On the north by Mr. Jamieson's spe-
cial survey 4 miles, on the west by the
coast line of the bay to the nose of the
mountain called St. Anthony's nose,
from thence along the Cape Schank road
to the Drumdunnuallock creek, being
boundary line with Mr. Barker, and on
the south by the creek to its source,"

No source is given for the locations of runs but since Marie Hansen Fels has mentioned Smythe's survey of 1841, let's see if it shows the WOUL WOUL A BALLACK AND CAPE SCHANCK runs extending almost to Point Nepean.
N.B.Some idiot in the lands department has transposed James Purves' Tootgarook pre-emptive right, purchased on 22-10-1855, onto the original map!

It must have been this second version of the map that Marie Hansen Fels discussed. It shows Dr Hobson and Cameron's establishments.

The following map shows that the Tootgarook run extended to the Bass Strait coast near St Andrews Beach. This completely dismisses the assumption that the Cape Schanck run extended almost to Point Nepean,and explains why the survivors of the ELIZABETH were given refuge by George Smith and why George bought the wreck.

The 'Elizabeth' Brig. — The wreck of
this brig, cast away on Sunday week, on the
shore near to Cape Schank, has been sold by
Mr G. Ralston, by public auction, and rea
lised the sum of £30 10s. The purchaser is
Mr. George Smith, Settler, at Point Nepean,
the gentleman who gave refuge to the ma-
riners shipwrecked in the above vessel. (P.2, The Melbourne Daily News and Port Phillip Patriot, 8-11-1848.)

P.38 (Re Cape Schanck.) "New laws had reduced the area to 960 acres. Barker gave the property to his daughter Edith, who had married Robert Anderson, and it was in their time that Barragunda was built. It was designed by Edward Latrobe Bateman, who shortly afterwards designed Heronswood in Dromana."

Robert Anderson married Edith Howitt*. There is doubt expressed in many sources that Bateman was wholly responsible for the design of Barragunda with a suggestion that he was responsible for the interior design. The original homestead of the Cape Schanck run was at Cape Schanck and it was the subject of a painting by Edward Latrobe Bateman.(

A history of Boneo, discovered by the late Ray Cairns when he was clearing out Maroolaba before his departure to Rosebud, claimed that Barker had wanted Cape Schanck as his pre-emptive right but the surveyor did not allow this because he wanted treasures from the Angel Cave to decorate his garden. Howitt and J.B.Were were granted the portion of the run in the parish of Fingal and Barker's new homestead (which eventually became Clondrisse) was built east of Main Creek in the parish of Flinders.

*EventDeath Event registration number14385 Registration year1884
Personal information
Family nameANDERSON Given namesEdith Mary SexUnknown Father's nameHowitt Godfrey Mother's namePhebe (Bakewell) Place of birth Place of deathTOOTGAROOK Age50 Spouse's family nameANDERSON Spouse's given namesRobert

EventMarriage Event registration number2825 Registration year1866
Personal information
Family nameHOWITT Given namesEdith Mary SexUnknown Spouse's family nameANDERSON Spouse's given namesRobert

Also on page 38 is a map showing the Cape Schanck Run running north west along the Bass Strait coast from Cape Schanck. On Page 37, Rosalind states,"Cape Schanck Run was an area of approximately 9600 acres.." so it was the same size as described in 1848.

No. 20.
John Barker
Name of run—Cape Schanck Estimated area—9,600 acres
Estimated grazing capabilities—600 head of cattle
Bounded on the W by the Wooloomerang Creek, on the N & NE by unoccupied barren land, and on every other part
by salt water. (P.1, Argus, 26-9-1848.)

The western boundary of the run was the boundary between the parishes of Flinders and Fingal, shown on the Fingal map as Main Creek south to Melway 260 B2 and Wallermeryong Creek from there to 259 J12.

The Flinders part of the Barkers' run must have been originally called the Burrabong run but when the parish of Finders was alienated crown allotment A of B (roughly Melway 260 A-D 10-11), consisting of 640 acres and granted to John Barker on 15-10-1855, was described as CAPE SCHANCK P.R. Therefore the Barkers' Cape Schanck run eventually extended east to adjoin Henry Tuck's Manton's Creek Run.

"The records only state that Edward Hobson bought Tootgarook Run from Smith in 1838." Which records?
"Tootgarook and White Cliffs were runs that seemed to overlap." I have seen no reference to a run called White Cliff. It is possible that Owen Cain's lime licence was for a portion of Tootgarook but he called his property TYRONE, not White Cliff.
"It was in 1844 that Hobson overlanded sheep from New South Wales for himself and the Meyricks. His own were driven to Tootgarook."
I have read plenty about E.W.Hobson and have seen no reference to him overlanding sheep from north of the Murray.He was no longer at Tootgarook from 1843.
His younger brother, Edward William Hobson (1816-1890?), grazier, was also born at Parramatta. As a youth he served as a sailor on ships plying between Tasmania, New Zealand, Western Australia and Port Phillip. Early in 1837 he established a small run on the Darebin Creek, near Melbourne. By June 1837 he had moved to the south-eastern shores of Port Phillip Bay and held a run, Kangerong, on the slopes of Arthur's Seat. This was followed by the establishment of Tootgarook, a run between Rye and Point Nepean.* In 1843 he also took over a run at Tarwin Meadows, on Anderson's Inlet and held it until January 1845. (*Actually between Anthonys Nose and about White Cliff until George Smith transferred the bay frontage (east of Adams Corner to the Rocks) to Andrew McCrae.)

In June 1841 he visited parts of Gippsland, in the area of the Latrobe River. In April 1844 he left Port Phillip with a large mob of cattle, paused at Tarwin Meadows, and then moved on into the Traralgon district. Four months later he took up, on behalf of his brother Edmund, a run of 19,000 acres (7689 ha) in this area. On Edmund's death in 1848, the control of this run passed to his executors, J. H. N. Cassell and J. R. Murphy, although Edward remained in occupation. In 1853 the run was divided into Traralgon East and Traralgon West, Edward Hobson occupying the latter for a few months. Although reasonably successful up to this time Hobson, who had been made a justice of the peace in 1847, now lost substantially in investments in shipping*.
(*The oft-repeated claim that he owned the Rosebud when it was beached in 1855 and it was uninsured is wrong. He did own it in 1854 but had obviously sold it to James Purves who had insured it for 700 pounds with a group of a dozen brokers, some of whom would not pay their share of the payout, thus providing terrific evidence of these facts.)

Page 42. "The name Woul Woul a Ballak had been dropped." George Smith, from 1843 to 1850, called the run TOOTGAROOK. As Marie Hansen Fels concluded, the W word was the name of his homestead, not his run.

"Hobson had already transferred his horses to Tootgarook by 1840. His very enterprising attitude and aptitude always alert, for he now discovered he also had lime deposits on his land at Tootgarook. (That sounds fair enough!) He erected three kilns and put in tramlines across the foreshore (there was no coast road then)at Boneo Rd, Truemans Rd and White Cliffs (where a restored Kiln is on the foreshore.) The last Kiln at Truemans Rd was there until as recently as 1997-8."

The tramlines may have existed and lime was certainly loaded at Boneo Road, by the Cairns family and possibly by James Patterson who was an early lime burner too. The tramlines folklore and the 1997-8 kiln were more likely to do with G.W.Hiscock and the 1920's tramline his Cicada fertiliser company built from the swamp along the east side of Truemans Rd to their manufacturing plant on the motel site. I'm not sure whether the kiln on the east side of White Cliff is a restored one or just a replica. He would have needed an awful lot of workers if he established three kilns and it is more likely that the lime loaded at White Cliff was Owen Cain's; if I remember correctly, today's Centre Drive was Owen's loading road.

Page 43. "In 1850, James Purves, an estate agent and auctioneer in Melbourne, whose brother Peter had managed Tootgarook for Hobson for the past few years was to purchase it and continue to raise bloodline horses."
Although there was a notice re payment required for depasturing licences from George Smith in 1850, Smith may have already left for California by then. Without any certainty about when he'd be back, Smith had probably asked Edward Hobson if he wanted to take over the lease, but still being on the run named with a corruption of the aboriginal phrase for RIVER OF LITTLE FISH (TRARALGON), he would have needed a manager for Tootgarook until he could dispose of the lease. Peter Purves would have been running Tootgarook for only about a year before Edward sold the leasehold to Peter's brother. Two years later, Peter was joined by James Purves, his long-alienated son, after whom Purves Rd on the south slope of Arthurs Seat was named.


The Meyrick information generally agrees with that found in biographies and heritage studies but the surname does not end with S. "In 1845, Hobson and Maurice Meyricks travelled to Gippsland to investigate grazing there" needs some clarification. Edward William Hobson had INVESTIGATED Gippsland in 1841 according to the portion of his biography pasted above and leased land at Tarwin River from 1843 before arriving at Traralgon (Doctor Edmund's run)in late 1844 while, following the arrival of Brodribb, Bennett, Gorringe and Turnbull, "Another settler who came here towards the end of 1845 was Maurice Meyrick. The Meyricks were friends of Hobson. There were three of them. Alfred and Maurice were brothers, and their cousin was Henry Meyrick. Henry Meyrick wrote some very interesting letters to his people at home in England while he was staying at Hobson's and they have all been kept for us to read, and are in the La Trobe Library in Melbourne.

Maurice Meyrick thought that there was enough room for him to squeeze in between Traralgon run and Hazelwood run, but he had to get out, and Hobson let him run his sheep on Traralgon run while he looked for another place for them.",according to THE RIVER OF LITLE FISH, CHAPTER 2 (

Rosalind mentioned that because of the harsh conditions Alfred became ill and died and Henry's loneliness was eased by the arrival of Eagle, a young man from their home village, but Eagle died shortly afterwards as well. The above source confirms and adds to this information. "Early in 1846, Henry Meyrick set out from Port Phillip for Gipps' Land with his sheep. He came round through South Gipps' Land like all the others, and left his cousin Alfred in Melbourne to collect their cattle and to follow on. Henry had, as one of his assistants, a young fellow called George Eagle, about whom I will tell you more later*. Eagle also had 200 sheep in the flock. The Meyricks had decided to take up two runs on the Macalister River called Glenmaggie and Glenfalloch. Of course you have heard of those names even today.

Well, Henry Meyrick eventually reached Hobson's with his sheep in April, and in his letters he tells his brother in England how he has lived under a tarpaulin for the last twelve months. The way of making a camp in those days, was to throw your tarp over your dray, and you had a ready made home. He had three flocks of sheep, one each Alfred, Maurice, and himself - but he had only had one man to help him look after them. He had 1500 lambs born to his sheep in 1846, and 1350 of those lived !"

*"Henry Meyrick kept the sheep on Hobson's run during the winter, and decided to go on to his runs up the Macalister after the shearing in the spring. But, on 31st July, 1846, death came to Hobson's. George Eagle and Henry were working together when about four o'clock in the afternoon, Eagle felt ill and lay down. He died within an hour. Nowadays we think he may have been bitten by a snake, but it was in the wintertime and there should have been no snakes about. Henry thought he had burst a blood vessel. Henry and Hobson got some boards to make a coffin, but when they went down the next day to where he had died, they found the poor fellow's body in such a condition that all they could do was put him between some sheets of bark and to bury him where he lay. If you are allowed to pass through Mr. Gilmour's farm, and go down onto the creek flats, you can see his grave. For over one hundred years there was just a grassy mound, and nothing more to show that there lay George Bolton Eagle, the first pioneer to die here at Traralgon, far away from his home in England, with just his two friends here, Edward Hobson and Henry Meyrick, to bury him."

Rosalind mentions that Henry drowned later riding for a doctor to attend a neighbour's wife. This too is confirmed by THE RIVER OF LITTLE FISH.
"After leaving Glenmaggie, Henry and Alfred Meyrick went to live for a while with the Desaillys at their station on the Thomson River. It was here that in May, 1847, a further tragedy occurred. Mrs. Desailly became gravely ill, and Henry insisted on riding all the way to Alberton to get a doctor, there being none anywhere else in Gipps' Land at that time. The Thomson River was in flood, and in swimming his horse across, he drowned. A coffin was made for his body when it could be found, but poor Mrs. Desailly died a few days later, and his coffin was used for her. His body was found later and was buried on the banks of the Thomson River."

In looking for an account of the Port Phillip Association "persuading" Fawkner to relocate to the south side of the Yarra, I stumbled upon Fawkner's memories of the events leading up to his desire to relocate to Port Phillip, his attempt to reach an agreement with Batman, his supposed sea sickness which prevented him accompanying Captain Lancey, the Jacksons, George Evans etc. Fawkner lists all the members of the Port Phillip Association (not including the Hentys as I had earlier speculated.) Above all, his account betrayed his jealous obsession to belittle the role Batman had played in the founding of Melbourne. Did you know that Batman's Hill had originally been named Pleasant Hill?
"On Saturday the 28th of August, the ‘Enterprize’ was duly moored to the growing trees close to the shore opposite to a Hill on which my men pitched their first tent and called by them Pleasant Hill, this hill subsequently by Mr B's toadyism, finding Milk, Butter, eggs and Poultry &c to the ruling powers that arrived in 1836 got changed to Batmans Hill."

A very interesting read.

Re Edward William Hobson, the Desaillys and Robert Jamieson. The Christmas dinner at Hobson's place is mentioned on page 41 of Rosalind's book. She wrote about the hardship (the struggle to survive)faced by the early settlers on page 10. The following article describes the party and the ordeal faced by Hobson's friends just to attend it.

Just like George Smith's so-called run WOUL WOUL A BALLACK, the Desailly run TONDOMOHUE seems to have been a rumour rather than a fact. After two whole days of research on trove, no mention was found of Tondomohue. (It has been found now. See below.) Marie Hansen Fels seems to provide an explanation* for the naming of Desailly's Waterhole (Melway 252, bottom of J5)in I SUCCEEDED ONCE.

*Edward William Hobson sent the Desailley brothers to Capel Sound to erect some dwellings there. Bear with me while I search for this reference. On page 176 the first reference to Capel Sound appears."He" is Dr. Edmund Hobson.
"He accompanied Lady Jane Franklin on her overland journey from Port Phillip to Sydney in 1839, and while on a stopover at Port Phillip, he visited Kangerong. In 1840 he returned permanently to Port Phillip with his wife Margaret, spending time at Kangerong while he was convalescing from pulmonary disease. While at Kangerong he travelled by gig to Wul-wul-a-bulluk, the station at Capel Sound, for which he held the licence with his brother, and the place where a substantial house was built by the time the McCrae family took up their run at Arthurs Seat."

This, at the bottom of page 176 would seem to disprove any claim that Hobson bought the lease of the run at Capel Sound* from George Smith in 1838.
"Edward Hobson was the first squatter on the Mornington Peninsula, and the extended families, together with their connections, were deeply engaged with the Bonurong."
(*As shown on the Melway key map, the western end of Capel Sound, accessed from the Rye and Sorrento Channels, is at the most, just east of Canterbury Jetty Road where George Gordon McCrae's seven miles from the Arthurs Seat homestead would have been.)

Aha! I would far rather prove than disprove unsubstantiated claims. Tondomohue is said to be shown on Smythe's 1841 survey for which I've provided a link, but the spelling used was Tondanue.

I found some labels in the first map (with Purves' P.R. superimposed)and can find labels approximating Boniyong and Drum Drum Alloc Creek (emptying into the swamp)but I can find nothing resembling TONDANUE.

The second map (untainted)only goes as far east as Freeman's station and Tootgarook as mentioned by Marie Hansen Fels and does not include the area where TONDANUE or Tondomohue was supposed to be.

Page 181."George Desailley
George Desailley was another youngster, just 17 years old when he crossed
over from VDL. His father was Dr Francis Desailley and his brother was Francis
Junior. They arrived in the ill-fated Britannia on 1 April 1839: the father went to
the Glenelg River, then to Gippsland. The two young brothers went to Edward
Hobson’s Kangerong station and seemingly formed an outstation for Hobson,
marked on Smythe’s 1841 map as Tondanue at the back of Rosebud, en route to
Boniong. The connection was a family one; Edward Hobson’s grandfather, Dr
Lutterell, was a friend of both Dr Francis and Dr TA Desailley. The Desailley
brothers ended up in the Riverina holding 2,000,000 acres – the largest
landholding in New South Wales.31 Desailley’s hut is shown near Tondanue at
the back of present Rosebud on a Thomas map.32"

I failed to find the reference to Hobson sending the Desailley brothers to Capel Sound to erect dwellings in I Succeeded Once , heritage studies or my journals but I know that I have given the source in a reply to Clive Smith of the Nepean Historical Society in a Facebook group in regard to Hobson's kiln and associated huts on section 13 Wannaeue (Melway 170A 2,3 west to about Chinamans Creek.)

by itellya Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2017-08-31 15:21:25

Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


by itellya on 2017-09-04 14:59:26

The journal has been finished but the additions of the last four hours would not submit so the whole journal was copied into a word file which will be supplied if requested in a private message with email address provided.

by itellya on 2017-09-04 21:36:45

"A cousin of the Lieutenant Governor, he arrived in Melbourne in 1852, staing at Dr. godfrey Howitt's home on the corner of Collins and Spring Sts, which seemed to be a place where the door was open to many new arrivals in the colony, especially artists. Howitt first welcomed his brother, William a writer/ editor, who came with his son Alfred, and the poet R.H.(Orion)Horne. Later in 1852, Thomas Woolner, a sculptor stayed there with his friend, E.Latrobe Bateman, an artist of broad talents-book iluuminator, architect, garden designer and interior decorator. Latrobe Bateman stayed in the colony the longest of this group of artists. He painted wildflowers, birds, designing gardens, sketching houses*. He designed the gardens for the Ward Coles** of Brighton and Mrs Cobram of South Yarra. The State Library and its interior.......... He designed Barragunda and Heronswood."
(*Such as the original Cape Schanck homestead. ** Andrew McCrae's sister married George Ward Cole.)

Once again Rosalind had included information that nobody else has mentioned in published Mornington Peninsula History. Under P.58 in ERRORS, I have mentioned again that Robert Anderson's wife was Dr. Godfrey Howitt's daughter, not John Barker's daughter and provided search terms for the Fingal Parish map. On this map are shown crown allotment 9A and 9, granted to E.L.Bateman and A. Haddow respectively, and in an effort to find a reference to A.Haddow being a shepherd on Barragunda, I stumbled on an article which confirms Rosalind's information above and includes Bateman's sketch of the original Government House.

Page 59. Residents in Rosebud in 1850. A better heading would have been EARLY ROSEBUD RESIDENTS.
The early fishermen at Rosebud only got a mention in the papers when they drowned. The first rate book was in 1864 but fishermen weren't rated until 1873 after they bought their Rosebud Fishing Village Blocks. Therefore,I would love to know where the information about Antonio Brata (arrived 1850) came from. There was an Antonio Latros and another possibility, Antonio Bosina resident on the foreshore for decades until he became blind, who mortgaged his fishing boat to Captain Adams, probably to build a house on 858 Point Nepean Rd, later occupied by the La Bella hero, William John Ferrier, and after 1915 demolished (except for the chimney) by George Fountain who built the current house and extended Jack Jones row of pine trees in 854-6 into 858. Alexander Forbes did have a curing business. Fort Lacco's grant on the west side of Durham Place became the residence of his sister in law, Emily Durham. Fort Lacco, Andrew Nicholls Joseph Silver (Silva!)and Fred Vean (Vine) were fishermen, as were all the purchasers of fishing village blocks in 1872 and 1873. Robert White, grantee of c/a 11 in the fishing village, the eastern 18 metre frontage of the Banksia Point complex, was the father in law of Henry Bucher. Therefore "Descendants of Adams, Bucher & Lacco are still living here" should include WHITE as well.

As mentioned previously there is no proof of Henry Everest Adams' arrival in 1842. The following advertisement in 1877 could indicate that he arrived in 1857 but this might mean when he ceased his seafaring life and became a landlubber. The mysterious Isaac White may have selected crown portion 19 (which for some unexplained reason was withdrawn from the land available for selection) circa 1850 so he could look after Eliza May and young Robert Henry Adams while Henry was on his trading voyages.
On an Early Day.
It not Previously Disposed of by Private Contract.
Near Dromana, Close to Arthur's Seat, on the Main
Road to Sorrento.
BYRNE, VALE and Co. have received instructions
from Captain Adams (who is retiring, after a
residence in the district of 20 years) to sell
The following valuable properties-

Page 60. Residents in Wannaeue in 1864. Well known names won't be copied here but I will provide some comments. I believe that Clark James should be Charles James, father of Bullocky Bob White, who married Janet White and had selected land near Barkers Rd. Edward Ford of Boneo does not seem to be a son of James Sandle Ford of Portsea and the Wannaeue Estate. Glass was Hugh Glass, grantee of c/a 14 Wannaeue between First Avenue and Boneo Rd which became Hindhope (northern half) and The Thicket. James Purves was the manager of Tootgarook Station and son of Peter,later of Greenhills on Purves Rd, not the absentee owner. James Patterson was said to have come with Robert Cairns in 1852, was a limeburner in 1865 and moved to Pattersons Rd, Fingal in the early 1870's. Trivadale was Dr Tweeddale of Essendon who was granted c/a 1 of section A, Wannaeue, between Old Cape Schanck Rd and the now-closed Grasslands Rd, south to Browns Rd. Warren was the grantee of c/a 18 between Adams Avenue to Jetty Rd who sold it to Charles Blakey, a pound keeper at Somerton who sold lot 86, 2 acres on the F.J.'s corner to Jack Jones and the remaining 150 acres to Robert White (see above) in 1875. White called it Menstries Hill, dying there in 1881, and it was inherited by his son, Blooming Bob White. Woolcote was Robert Richard Woolcott who subdivided c/a 17 between Jetty Rd and the line of Norm Clark Walk and sold lot 76 to George and Susan Peatey in the late 1870's.

by itellya on 2017-09-04 22:15:15

End of ERRORS.
I accidentally deleted the page 58 ERRORS information from the word document. Rosalind had repeated the claim that Robert Anderson's wife Edith was a Barker rather than Godfrey Howitt's daughter.Carrier Harry Cairns later owned Edward Latrobe Bateman's C/A 9A, Fingal and married Margaret Haddow whose father was William Haddow, probably related in some way to A.Haddow, grantee of c/a 9. These grants and those of Godfrey Howitt and J.B.Were can be seen on the Fingal parish map. Google FINGAL, COUNTY OF MORNINGTON and click on the first result.

by itellya on 2017-09-04 22:33:03

The word file mentioned in the first comment has now been deleted as all of the information that would not submit in the journal has been pasted (or summarised) in comments 2 and 3.

by HH5647 on 2017-09-11 07:03:39

Ray, Thanks for this summary of Rosalind's book and your comments. I could never figure why someone had recorded Purves's Pre-Emptive right and stuffed up Smythe's 1841 map. Also, with George Smith at Capel Sound, after the Cain girl was found near Cameron's place they took her past her home into the care of Mrs Hobson.
I'm building up references for another series of trips to PROV, you never know what you will find. I hope to find what lead Hollinshed to record the name 'Dean' on that map in Lime, Land and Leisure. Bob Kerr.

PS: At some stage soon I'll revisit an earlier conversation we've had re James Clelland Pigdon.

PPS: Is it the "Ripponlea" Thomas Monahan mentioned on this map: ? If so, he appears in the same FT as Charles Dean. As does Alfred England, who also had land on the Peninsula.

by itellya on 2017-09-11 13:58:24

Pioneers often named a property they owned after another property they owned or an area with which they were associated but whether he'd given this name to his grants in the parish of Fingal could only be determined if he stated that it was at Fingal or near Cape Schanck.

Thomas Monahan owned much of today's Ripponlea by 1856 and is the first of the settlers mentioned in RIPPONLEA

by itellya on 2017-09-11 14:05:42

The link isn't working for some reason. Google Thomas Monahan, Ripponlea and select this result.
The Village - City of Port Phillip: Heritage
Ripponlea Primary School whose talented students of Grades Three and .... By 1856 they had sold the land to Thomas Monahan who acquired most of.

by itellya on 2017-09-18 19:19:21

Thanks so much to Patricia Chadwick for bringing Rosalind to my home yesterday morning. She's hard of hearing and has picked up a cold but her memory is still great. Roz was the president of the now defunct Rosebud and District Historical Society and had negotiated access to the Boneo Cemetery with the owners of the land on which it is situated. She'd also written PINE TREES AND BOX THORNS, a history of the Peatey family, which greatly aided my peninsula research when started in August 2010. Lately I have discovered another of her books, written in 2004.
She told me a great story of how the Jennings family established a toe-hold for their Rosebud dairy that she'd been told by Jack Jennings. She confirmed that lot 76 of crown allotment 17, purchased by George and Susan Peatey in 1878 and occupied from 1888, indeed fronted Jetty Rd and was surrounded by blocks purchased by Robert McDowell. Therefore this two acre block fronted the south corner of Jetty Rd and Jetty Rd as far east and south as the present Netherby frontages in McDowell St and Jetty Rd. It was later divided into four blocks with Rosalind's parents occupying the westernmost one, adjoining Netherby.
The Rosebud Historical Society had installed a plaque on the wall of Mitch Lacco's boat building shed when it had become a garage. Surely the shire would have been aware of this, so what happened to the plaque when the building was demolished? In fact why did the shire allow this building to be demolished for the construction of Tasman Meats when it was a vital relic of Rosebud's SHIP-BUILDING INDUSTRY as it is strangely called in one of the shire's Thematic Heritage Studies?
The above will be emailed to Cr. David Gill to see if a history board indicating the location of the Lacco block within the Tasman Meats site detail of the family's prominence among wooden boat builders and photos of the boat shed fronting Mitchell St and the Lacco house fronting Pt Nepean Rd can be installed in a prominent position with the cooperation of Tasman Meats.

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.