St Joseph's Convent School - WANGANUI 1916
St Joseph's Convent School was constructed near St Joseph?s Church to house the Sisters of Compassion and to serve as the base for their work. The convent was originally a rectangular building, with gable roof. The building is two-storeyed and distinctive features include the rows of small windows on the first floor, and matai flooring.
The Sisters moved into the new convent building in 1892 along with seven children in their care. From the Convent, the Sisters ran a local day school until 1969, and a home for ?orphaned? children from 1892 to 1907. The convent was extended in 1897 to include a children?s wing to accommodate the growing numbers of orphanage children.
During her time at Jerusalem, Mother Aubert became widely known throughout New Zealand as a result of her work with poor and destitute children and for her medicines, which were made at Jerusalem and distributed commercially. She left Jerusalem in 1899 to extend the work of the Sisters of Compassion among the poor of Wellington, but the Maori mission continued. Since 1990, the Sisters have been seeking the lengthy process of canonisation for Mother Aubert
from the WANGANU CHRONICLE, 21 December 1916
St JOSEPH'S CONVENT SCHOOL The prize-giving ceremony was held yesterday morning, when the following awards were made:-
Gold Medal presented by Very Rev. Dean HOLLEY
FULL ATTENDANCE AT CATECHISM:- Sundays
DUX OF SCHOOL:-
Marie Foy Jean DUNCAN
Gold Medal presented by A. FRIEND
THEORY OF MUSIC:-
Special Prize, gift of Rev. Mother