TAUPIRI township WAIKATO - before 1900
the original was taken from TAUPIRI and was written about 1900
- visit the site for some early photos -
(anything in italics is my additions)
The township of Taupiri is situated at the junction of the Waikato river and the Mangawhare creek. Up this creek there is a large bush, whence logs are floated during freshets to the local sawmill. A small mountain close to the settlement has a picturesquely situated Maori burial ground at the top. It is the site of an old Maori pa, and holds the grave of Tawhiao, the Maori king.
* The Freshfields and Woodlands stations lie on the road, via Hukenui, to Hamilton.
* In the neighbourhood there is a large kauri gum field, which can be worked only in the summer months.
* The railway station is seventy-five miles from Auckland on the Waikato line. It is 145 feet above sea level, and is a flag station.
* The local post office is conducted in one of the railway cottages.
* There is a hotel close to the station, and there are a few business people in the township.
* On the other side of the Waikato River there is a small native settlement, where the remains of an old church and mission building, erected in the early days of the colony, are still visible.
Many years ago the settlement had splendid groves of peach trees, which have now vanished and given place to thick acacia scrub.
A River Scene
Taupiri Post And Telegraph Office. The business of this office is conducted in one of the railway cottages near the station. Six mails are received and despatched daily. There is a telephone service with Huntly, and a private telephone communicates with Woodlands.
Mrs Emily Ann BARKER, (1861-1918 nee BINGHAM) Postmistress, who has been in charge since 1898, is a native of Sheffield, Yorkshire, England, and was married to the late Mr John Barker in 1880 (20 July 1887). Mr Barker was killed by a railway accident in January 1898 (aged 38) and his widow was left with a family of five daughters and three sons.
- a son, Arthur Alfred Berbard Barker was born in Taupiri 9 months after his father's death on 11 Sept 1898
- the children of John & Emily
The Taupiri Public School dates back to 1880. It is erected on four acres and a half of land, is built of wood and iron, and contains two class rooms and a porch. There is accommodation for one hundred scholars, the number on the roll is eighty and the average attendance sixty-seven. There is a playground, with a covered shelter-shed. Adjoining the school there is a residence of six rooms and there is a capital tennis court on the property. The headmaster is assisted by two pupil-teachers.
Mr James Thomas Gostick COX (1870-1930), Headmaster of the Taupiri School, was born in Auckland in 1870. He was educated in his native city and served his pupil-teachership at Kingsland. Mr Cox was placed in charge of two half-time schools in the Whangarei district, where he continued for two years. After being for five years in charge of the Bay of Islands school, he went on the relieving staff, prior to his appointment at Taupiri, in July 1898. Mr Cox takes an interest in local pastimes and is secretary of the local tennis club. He was married in June 1899 to a daughter of Mr A. W. ARMSTRONG of Whangarei and has two sons.
he married Mary Alice Armstrong (1873-1968)
their known children
1891 - 1918 Herbert William Cox
- died of his wounds in France
1892 - 1982 Frederick James Cox
1902 - 1984 John Watson Cox
- Barrister & Solicitor. John married Helen May MADDOX in 1929
Taupiri District Cricket Club. Officers for 1900:
* Mr T. C. Williams, president;
* Messrs E. V. Ralph
* J. W. Bailey and R. F. Bollard, vice-presidents;
* Mr E. R. Cox, captain;
* Mr Glen, secretary and treasurer
Gleeson And Sons (Charles Gleeson and Charles Matthew Gleeson), Bakers and Confectioners, Taupiri; principal establishment, Huntly. This branch was established in 1894 and is under the management of the junior partner, Mr C. M. Gleeson, who has been associated with his father in business since 1888. He was married, in 1898, to a daughter of Mr W. MILLER, of Taupiri.
* Charles Matthew Gleeson married Rose Miller (1876-1912) in 1898 and had a daughter, Maria Rose Gleeson (1902-1982) who married Sydney William Litt (1902-1968) in 1924. Charles next married her sister Ellen Maple Miller (1874-1948) in 1913, daughters of William & Mary Ann Miller
Taupiri Hotel (Mrs R. E. LOVELL, proprietress), Taupiri. This fine hotel, which is close to the railway station, is the only hotel in the district. The late Mr William Henry Mitchell Lovell (1846-1890), who established it, settled in the district about 1871, and kept a store and accommodation house on the river bank for many years before the hotel was built in 1885. Mrs Lovell, who has managed the hotel since the death of her husband in 1890, is a daughter of the late Mr A. RALPH, pioneer and originally owner, of the Huntly coal mines.
* Rosanna Ester Ralph (1847-1924)
* On 12 Sep 1914 the Huntly Mine explosion, caused by the naked flame in a miner's lamp igniting firedamp, killed 43 men. There would have been more had it not been on Sunday
WARING, Arthur Henry, Butcher and Farmer, Taupiri. Mr. Waring was born at Aston-on-Clun, Shropshire, England, in 1863, and was educated at Diddlebury, Ludlow, and Stratford-on-Avon, where he was brought up to country pursuits. His father was a cattle dealer and grazier. In October 1883, Mr Waring arrived at Port Chalmers by the steamship "British Queen" and afterwards removed to Auckland and settled in the Waikato, where he found employment as stockman for the late Hon. James WILLIAMSON, at Rukuhia and was afterwards butcher for about four years on Woodlands station. In 1891 Mr Waring commenced business as a butcher in Taupiri, where he has a convenient, well-ventilated shop and a detached residence of eight rooms. He farms 230 acres in the district, is one of the cemetery trustees and has long served as a member of the local school committee. Mr Waring is also a churchwarden of the Anglican church. He was married, in 1889, to a daughter of Mr T. SPEAKE, of the Lea, Shropshire and has four sons and two daughters.
* He married Mary Speake on 8 Dec 1890
their children were
1891 - 1957 Harry Waring
1893 - 1960 Robert Waring
1894 - 1972 Willie Waring
* + Louie Murphy in 1924
1896 - Gertrude Waring
1897 - 1991 Rita Mary Waring
* + Leo Bishop Wilson in 1926
1900 - 1961 Arthur Henry Waring
1901 - Marian Waring
1902 - 1982 Alice Maude Waring
* + Albert Norman Hodgson in 1937
1904 - Muriel Lillian Waring
1907 - Thomas Allen Waring
MELLARS, George Frederick. Flaxmiller, Taupiri. Mr Mellars was born in Worksop, Nottinghamshire, England in 1832 (1832-1904). He served for about fifteen years at sea, before arriving in Lyttelton by the ship "Gannonoak" in 1860, when he resigned his position as third mate of that vessel and settled at Woodend, where and at Oxford, he was for several years engaged in the timber business. At the time of the West Coast 'rush' Mr Mellars went to Hokitika, where he engaged in goldmining for about six months. In 1868 he went to the Thames, but after a short time he removed to Auckland and eventually settled at Ohaupo in 1869. For several years afterwards Mr Mellars engaged in sawmilling and in 1888 he bought 1,000 acres at Taupiri, where he established a sawmill, which he conducted till 1899. Since that time Mr Mellars has been engaged in the flax business. The machinery of his mill, which was erected at the end of 1899, is driven by a fourteen horse-power steam engine and the flax is purchased under contract from the natives. Mr Mellars was married, in 1863, to a daughter of the late Mr G. GIBBS and has seven daughters and five sons.
* He married Mary Rose Gibbs (1844-1908), daughter of George Gibbs (1810-1864) & Mary Powell (1810-1876)
their children found to date
1866 - 1936 George Frederick Mellars
1869 - 1938 Mary Mellars
* + Francis George Jackson in 1896
1871 - Martha Matilda Mellars
* + William Edward Wilson in 1900
1875 - 1937 Elizabeth Mellars
1878 - Emma Mellars
1880 - 1950 Francis Joseph 'Joe' Mellars
1882 - 1971 Fanny Dolly Mellars
* + Charles Albert Hogg in 1915
1884 - 1907 Mary Annie Rosetta 'Ettie' Mellars
1886 - 1975 William Charles Mellars
1888 - 1969 Ada May Mellars
* + Henry Kearney in 1908
1889 - 1965 Thomas Nelson Mellars
Bailey And Bollard (John William BAILEY and Richard Francis BOLLARD), Sawmillers, Taupiri Mills, Taupiri. These mills were established in 1898, and were purchased by Messrs Bailey and Bollard in the following year. There is a complete sawmilling plant, which is driven by an eighty horse-power steam engine, and a new mill was erected early in 1901. The weekly output of the mill amounts to about 75,000 feet of timber, which is chiefly sent to Auckland, though some is exported to Australia. There is also a large local consumption.
Mr J. W. BAILEY was born in Burnley, Lancashire, England, in 1863 and was educated in his native place. He was brought up as an engineer, and came to Auckland in the ship "Kaikoura" in 1885. After being engaged in battery work at the Thames for some time, he became interested in sawmilling as an employee of the firm of Leyland, O'Brien and Co., with whom he continued for seven years. During that time he became a partner in the firm, and subsequently joined Mr. Bollard in the present business. Mr. Bailey was married, in 1888, to the eldest daughter of Mr. John BOLLARD, M.H.R., and has four sons.
* John William Bailey (1863-1932) married Mary Jane Bailey (1862-1934)
their known children
1889 - 1970 William John Bailey
1890 - 1953 Arthur Sagar Bailey
- Arthur served as Private 11365
1892 - 1917 Allan Richard Bailey
- Allan (1297) was killed in Belgium 15 June 1917, 4 months after brother Henry
1893 - 1917 Henry 'Irwin' Bailey
- Irwin (10073) was killed in Belgium 28 Feb 1917, 4 months before brother Allan
* their parents John & Mary were then living at 'Twiston', Dominion Road, Auckland
"Freshfield" (Mr E. B. Cox, manager) is the property of Mr. T. C. Williams, and consists of 11,000 odd acres of freehold land. The whole is ring-fenced, and divided into convenient subdivisions, nearly 3000 acres being in grass. Over 4000 sheep and about 600 head of cattle are now on the property, and it is estimated that by a judicious expenditure of capital the carrying capacity of the place will be more than doubled in a few years.
Mr Edmund Blachford COX, who is the eldest surviving son of Mr. A. Cox, of Christchurch, was born in 1853 (1853-1931) in New South Wales. He was educated at the Dunedin High School and at Nelson College, and was brought up to country life in Canterbury. Mr. Cox has supervised the whole of the improvements of the Freshfield estate, having been sent to take charge of the property in January 1887, for the first proprietor, Mr Ernest Gray, of Canterbury. He has continued as manager since Mr Williams became proprietor. Mr Cox holds office as chairman of the Taupiri school committee and domain board, and is also one of the cemetery trustees. His services are in request as a judge of stock and he has acted in that capacity at various shows. Mr Cox is vice-president of the Taupiri Agricultural and Pastoral Society. He was married in 1877 to a daughter of the late Mr R. WILKIN, of Christchurch and has five sons and three daughters.
* Edmund married David Ann Wilkin (1855-1931), daughter of Robert Wilkin & Agnes Johnston Barker
their known children
1878 - 1953 Agnes Mary Cox
* never married, died in Cambridge
1879 - 1950 Alfred Robert Cox
* + Alice Maud Clark in Cambridge 1911
1882 - 1938 Edmund Arthur Cox
* + Catherine Ann McGovern. Solicitor. Committed suicide in Hamilton
1885 - 1965 Alan Douglas Cox
* + Heather Maxwell Campbell in Christchurch 1915
1888 - 1963 John Barker 'Jack' Cox
* + Janet Edith Joyne in 1921
1893 - 1915 Ernest Wilkin Cox
- killed at Gallipoli 25 April 1915
1895 - 1957 Kate Florence Cox
* + John William Peake in 1916
1900 - 1978 Marian Blachford Cox
* + Francis Henry Swayne
NOTE David Anne Cox died in Cambridge, Waikato, 2 Oct 1931, 3 weeks after her husband Edmund (10 Sep)
TAYLOR William, Farmer, Steam Threshing and Chaff Cutting Machine Proprietor, "Elvers Green" Taupiri. Mr Taylor was born in Warwickshire, England, in 1843, and was educated at Coventry, where he was brought up to a country life by his father, who was a large farmer. In 1874 he came to Auckland, and settled in Taupiri, where he purchased the first portion of the 279 acres of land now held by him. Mr Taylor brought out farming implements with him to the colony, and has several times since then imported machines, the last being a large traction engine, at a cost of £800. He has all sorts of agricultural implements, and with the assistance of his sons he undertakes a large number of contracts. Mr. Taylor has served on the local school committee for a number of years. He was married, in 1864, to a daughter of the late Mr. W. SHANNON, of Walsall, Staffordshire, and has three sons and three daughters.
WOODLANDS ESTATE (John GORDON, manager) belongs to the New Zealand Land Association, and is a splendid property of about 88,000 acres. It is a portion of the lands confiscated by the Crown at the conclusion of the Maori war in 1864. A considerable proportion of the confiscated land was granted for services rendered to military settlers, and other areas were sold at comparatively low prices for special settlement, but there still remained in the Waikato-Piako delta, an extensive area of swamp, with occasional islands of dry land. This property was purchased in 1872 by an association of capitalists, at 5s per acre, subject to conditions as to the construction of about twenty-five miles of road, towards the cost of which the Government was to contribute out of the purchase money a sum not exceeding one half-crown per acre. The work of reclamation then commenced, and may fairly rank as one of the largest and most serious connected with pioneer settlement in New Zealand. The country to be dealt with covered an area of twenty miles by ten, and most of it was swamp of unknown depth and quality. The property has been well known throughout the colony as the Piako swamp. Many drains were constructed across the property in various directions, some of them measuring 12 feet at the top, 6 feet at the bottom, and 10 feet in depth. Notwithstanding the immense sums of money thus expended in main and branch drains, about 60,000 acres of the estate may still be considered a swamp. It is estimated that years will pass before this swamp becomes dry land, which will then require the action of sun and wind for some years to make it fertile. So far, about 28,000 acres have been reclaimed, and page 713 on this area about 40,000 sheep, 3000 head of cattle, and 160 horses are depastured. Splendid mutton and beef and large quantities of wool are sent away as the produce of the estate every year.
Mr John GORDON, Manager of the Woodlands Estate, is referred to in another article as chairman of the Kirikiriroa Road Board.
Gordon, after whom Gordonton road is named, married three times, but outlived each wife. His first wife was Susan Houstan whom he married in 1882. On the birth of their first son, the staff at Woodlands were given a holiday, with sports and a dance, which became a tradition.
However, on the birth of their second son in 1892 Susan developed serious complications and despite John hiring a train to bring a doctor from Auckland, she died soon after.
In 1908 Alice and John shifted to Bankwood, a large farm on what was then the northern outskirts of Hamilton. Their house at Bankwood was the large villa, now part of Waikato Diocesan School for Girls. The house is registered by the Historic Places Trust. However, Alice did not have much time to enjoy it – she died a few months later at Opoia Hospital.
Gordon’s third wife, widow Margaret Brown, whom he married in 1910, lived with him at Bankwood until her death in 1916. They are all buried with him in Hamilton West Cemetery.
The headstone erected by John Gordon for his first wife, Susan, is one of the more impressive monuments at Hamilton West Cemetery. He and his second and third wives, Alice and Margaret and a newborn baby who is presumably his grandson, are buried in the same large grave (more at his link above)
taken 5 April 1955, looking down on Taupiru, showing the mighty Waikato river in foreground, Great South road, the little Historic rated church on the corner of Te Putu street (there since 1905), the bridge over the railway and the Taupiri Hotel at end of the bridge
Have a look around on ZOOM