THE PETER FAMILY, PIONEERS OF NEW SOUTH WALES AND THE AREA NEAR TULLAMARINE, VICTORIA.
At his residence, Mary-hill, near Glasgow, on the 5th May last, in the 90th year of his age, William Peter, Esq., J.P., of Overpossil, and father of Mr. John Peter, Wagga Wagga, Murrumbidgee, much and deeply lamented, by his family and friends.(P.4, Empire (Sydney), 14-7-1857.)
JOHN PETER, FIRST MAGISTRATE TO SIT ON THE BENCH AT WAGGA
JOHN PETER'S ABORIGINAL EMPLOYEES, 1841
Chandos Chair of Medicine and Anatomy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Chandos Chair of Medicine and Anatomy is a Chair in Medicine and Anatomy of the University of St Andrews, Scotland. It was established in 1721, by a bequest of £1000 from James Brydges, 1st Duke of Chandos - then the Chancellor of the University. His original aim was to establish a Chair of Eloquence, although this was rejected by the university in favour of a Chair in Medicine and Anatomy. Holders of the Chandos Chair are known as Chandos Professors. The Chandos Chair still exists today, although in 1875 it became a chair in physiology.
The Age from Melbourne, Victoria on May 20, 1939 · Page 2
... Ai "Dunnlistcr" ami "Overpostle," Situated In the Favored Districts of OAKLANDS ... LTD., acting under Instructions from the true-tees of the estate of W.D. Peter, ...
THE PETER FAMILY MAY HAVE BEEN RESPONSIBLE FOR THE NAMES OF TWO FARMS IN THE TULLAMARINE AREA.
DUNALISTER was not one of them. It was named by Walter Clark of Glenara, near Bulla Township, after his young son Alister who became the first chairman of the Moonee Valley Racing Club and a famous Breeder of roses.
CHANDOS, (roughly Melway 5 G-J 5-10, bounded by Derby and Wright Sts on the west,the Moonee Ponds Creek on the north and Mickleham Rd on the east) and John Peter's wife Mary, nee Bent, are discussed in detail in my journal:
MARTIN LAVARS' FARM ADJOINING BROADMEADOWS TOWNSHIP, VIC., AUST. IN 1889: WHICH FARM WAS THAT?
Chandos first appears in relation to Broadmeadows in the early 1880's in connection with Mary Peter's brother.Donald Kennedy of Dundonald, across the creek, was supposed to have developed Chandos according to Andrew Lemon in BROADMEADOWS:A FORGOTTEN HISTORY but his name is not mentioned on trove in connection with Chandos.
OVERPOSTLE was south of the east-west portion of Loemans Rd on Tullamarine Island, roughly Melway 3 G-K 3-6, its southern boundary being Jacksons Creek and its eastern boundary being Deep Creek. Over postle and Overpossil seem to be interchangeable re Scotland so the word used in William Peter's death notice is not wrong. The farm was not called OVEPOSTLE by the Ritchies, the name first appearing in 1911 in connection with W.D.Peter.
IT SEEMS THAT MARY PETER WAS THE DAUGHTER OF A CONVICT.
JOHN BENT, CONVICT
charlie bourke on 16th October, 2015 wrote:
John Bent married Frances Wrixson, aka Moyer aka Richardson in 1821 at Airds where John then had a landholding. They had 4 known children, possibly a 5th (no details).Mary Bent, born abt 1811 at Jamisontown(near Emu Plains), went on to marry James Bourke(Burke) at Airds in 1827, they squatted Gumly Gumly where James died in a fall from a horse while rounding up his cattle. Mary Married John Peter who established a string of stations from the Murrumbidgee to Gladstone Qld, becoming known at one time as the wealthiest man in the Colony. When John Peter retired to England, Mary returned to Gumly Gumly, eventually moving to Chandos, Broadmeadows, Victoria, where she died 23 September 1884.
John and Frances had Judith Bent abt. 1810, a child Bent about 1818, Francis Judith(aka Frances)F,1820-1888, and John 1821-1880. More details can be given if needed.
OAKLANDS HUNT CLUB.
On Wednesday, the 24th ult., a large number of followers met at Dunalister, the country home of Mr. W. D. Peter.
-------, accepting Mr. Peter's invitation, we adjourned to the Dunalister homestead and did justice to the good
things that were set before us. Those out were: —----------, W. D. Peter on Blondin, D. Peter on Venol,----.
(P.18, Leader, 3-8-1907.)
It was probably in 1958 that Dunalister became Balbethan and its manager, Bob Blackwell, was given permission to use Dunalister as the name for the stud he established at Elmore.
BALBETHAN STUD SHEARING SHED
A William David Peter, 'grazier', purchased the 640 acre Dunalister property at this time. He was apparently a man of considerable wealth; at the time of his death in 1928 he was recorded as having formerly lived at Camana in Toorak and Banyule in Heidelberg as well as at Dunalister (sic, OVERPOSTLE) at Bulla. It is likely that he built the homestead which survives on the property. As the property had been occupied by lessees prior to this, it is possible that he built the shearing shed and shearers' quarters.
The site has been in a succession of ownerships since Peter died. Since its purchase by the family of the present owners in 1958, it has been developed into a successful stud.
BALBETHAN STUD HOMESTEAD
A William David
Peter purchased Section 9 and in the Rate Book for the year 1887/88 he was described as a
'Grazier' while the property was described as '640 acres, Dunalister, Bulla' and rated at £375. In
July 1889 Peter's overseer, a G.J.Galliers, wrote to the Bulla Shire Council asking for a renewal
of their slaughtering licence.12
Little is known about William Peter but by his death in May 1928 he appears to have
become a man of some wealth. His probate papers record that he died at his residence Camana
in Heyington Place, Toorak, and was formerly of Banyule, a large property in Heidelberg, as
well as of Dunalister.13 Amongst his real estate assets were the Dunalister property (some 655
acres encompassing Section 9 and part of Section 3 in the Parish of Bulla Bulla) valued at
£11,711.2.6 and other land in the district (some 634 acres encompassing allotment B of Section
12 and part of allotment B of Section 11 in the Parish of Tullamarine*) valued at £8,876
For some years before his death, Peter leased the Dunalister property to a William
Henry Melville and after his death, it was leased by his executors to a Victor Bowman.14 The
property has passed through several hands since and is now down to about 300 acres in size. A
quarry covers much of the northern part of the original 640 acres. It has not been established
when the name of the property was changed from Dunalister to Balbethan Stud.
There are good photos of the shearing shed and homestead in the citations.
PETER.—On the 3rd inst., at Peterleigh, Essendon, the wife* of W. D. Peter—a son.(P.1, Argus, 17-1-1890.)
*If Elizabeth Jane Peter (nee Robinson) had been a cow, you could bet her name would have been specified, if only for pedigree purposes.
DAWSON - ROBINSON.-The marriage of Miss Emilie M. Robinson, second daughter of Mr. George Robinson, J.P., of High Park, Forbes, with Mr. William S. Dawson, M.C.E. of the Metropolitan Board of Works, and only son of Mr. R. H. Dawson, of H.M. Customs, Melbourne, and of Essendon, took place very quietly at "Park View," the residence of Mrs. W. D. Peter (sister of the bride), on Wednesday afternoon, August 28.
(P.11, Table Talk, 6-9-1895.)
The death occurred in Melbourne on Monday, November 10, 1941, of Elizabeth Jane, relict of the late William David Peter, and mother of David Peter, deceased, late of South Mahonga; Corowa. Mrs. Peter lived in Corowa for some time, at the Globe Hotel, and will be remembered by many Corowa and district residents who will sincerely regret her departure. (P.3, The Corowa Free Press,18-11-1941.)
FULL TEXT TO REPLACE THE ABOVE IF THIS BECOMES POSSIBLE.It is stored temporarily as:
OVERPOSTLE AND CHANDOS ARE SHOWN ON THE ATTACHED MAP. Overpostle included only the east half of c/a 11B, parish of Tullamarine.
on 2018-05-31 08:31:54
Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.