<< Previous - Next >>


Journal by itellya


Henry James Randall (born in 1857 at Richmond*) who established "Hindhope" on 29 acres might have been related to Nora, the wife of Ramsay Couper who consolidated the land between Hindhope and Eastbourne Rd, known as "The Thicket". It is CERTAIN that Henry James Randall was the brother of Mary Elizabeth Randall who married the wandering boy, Fred Rudduck** in 1898,with her name being given as Dollie in the marriage notice and Mary Elizth in the marriage record.

*Event: births
Registration number 14092 / 1857
Family name: RANDALL
Given name(s) Henry James
Place of event: RICHMOND, Australia
Mother's name , Margaret Scott
Mother's family name at birth WEBSTER
Father's Name: , Charles Edward

**See page 64 of A DREAMTIME OF DROMANA and

Registration number 20591 / 1873
Family name: RANDALL
Given name(s) Mary Elizabeth
Place of event: TARNAGULLA, Australia
Mother's name , Margaret
Mother's family name at birth WEBSTER
Father's Name: , Chas Edw

The mother's maiden surname is wrong in Henry James Randall's death record; it should be WEBSTER, as in the death record of Oswald* who took over Hindhope.
and the parents' wedding notice**.

Event: deaths
Registration number 1397 / 1906
Family name: RANDALL
Given name(s) Hy Jas
Place of event: Esdn, Australia
Mother's name , Margt Scott
Mother's family name at birth RANDALL
Father's Name: , Randall Chas Edwd

* Event: births
Registration number 3254 / 1877
Family name: RANDALL
Given name(s) Oswald Markham
Place of event: HOTHAM, Australia
Mother's name , Margaret Scott
Mother's family name at birth WEBSTER
Father's Name: , Charles Edward

** On the 1st inst, at North Melbourne, by the Rev.
John Reid, Charles Edward Randall to Margaret Scott
Webster. (P.4, Argus, 3-1-1857.)

Charles Edward and his son, Henry James became municipal administrators.* Henry James may have suggested in 1904 to George Fountain, the last Mayor of North Melbourne, that Rosebud was a great spot for a holiday.**

Hindhope and The Thicket are the north and south halves of the land fronting Boneo Rd and indicated by Melway 170 B 2 and parts 1 and 3.

The Wannaeue Estate is indicated by Melway 170 B-E, 4-7.

Death Of Former Footballer
DEATH in a private hospital early today of Mr William Raper, 85. of Elizabeth Street, Elsternwlck, robbed Australian football of a notable Identity.
Mr Raper began as a player with Hotham about 1870 and transferred to the Essendon team that played in McCracken's Paddock, Ascot Vale, in 1870.
Following his retirement as a player, Mr Raper continued to take a great interest In Essendon when that team occupied the old East Melbourne ground. Eventually he became a vice-president, a position which he occupied for a number of years, before being appointed president.
When Essendon transferred to their present ground in 1922 Mr Raper continued in office, and was head of the club when the team won the 1923 and 1924 premlerships. He retired from the administrative side of football about 1930.
Mr Raper was connected with the firm of James Service and Co. for 58 years, and was chief accountant and manager. He was also president for many years of the Percy Walker Old Boys' Association, members of which had attended the Percy Walker College at Carlton.
Mr Raper, who was a native of West Melbourne, had been ill for several years, and his death was hastened by head injuries received in a fall at home a few days ago. He leaves a widow, two daughters and three sons.
The funeral will leave his home at 2.30 p.m. tomorrow for Melbourne General Cemetery. Arrangements are in the charge of A. A. Sleight Pty. Ltd. (P.48, The Herald, 8-6-1939.)

Billy was revered by his schoolboy opponents.

Lands Department, enquiring if council had any objections to the alienation of road* between Messrs John Cain and W.Raper, Wannaeue.-To be informed that this council.objects to alienation of same. (P.3, Mornington Standard, 2-8-1913.)

* The southern boundary of farms that became Woyna, Eastbourne and Wannaeue Station that only exists as Hiscock Rd near Truemans Rd and a dotted line on the swamp side of Boneo Rd. Raper's Wannaeue Estate consisted of c/a's 11-8 and John Cain had purchased James Purves' grants, c/a's 6 and 5 between the unmade road and Little Scotland. See:
Wannaeue, County of Mornington [cartographic material].…/simpleimages/…/2611207.html

I've speculated in the post about THE WANDERING BOY that Henry James Randall may have provoked George Fountain's interest in Rosebud (the former being the last Mayor and the latter being the Town Clerk of North Melbourne.) The same could be true in regard to the Raper purchase of the Wannaeue Estate. Henry James Randall and William Raper were sons of two trustees of C of E property in Jika Jika east (across the Moonee Ponds Creek) near Flemington.

Names of Trustees -Tho Right Reverend James
Moorhouse, Doctor of Divlnity, Bishop of Melbourne ;
Charles Edward Randall, Town Clerk, Hotham, John*
Raper, Brougham street, Hotham, gentleman, James
Curias, Hotham, carrier (P.7, Argus, 20-11-1879.)

*Event: births Registration number 91 / 1853*
Family name: RAPER Given name(s) William
Place of event: MELB, Australia
Mother's name , Albertine
Mother's family name at birth RODAWAY
Father's Name: , John *
(*Also 18216 / 1853)

Event: deaths
Registration number 6696 / 1939
Family name: RAPER
Given name(s) William
Place of event: MELBOURNE, Australia
Mother's name , Unknown
Mother's family name at birth UNKNOWN
Father's Name: , RAPER John*

William's son John was much involved in the betterment and social life of Rosebud, as were the Riggs of Hindhope who had taken over Henry James Randall's farm but since I have already published this information elsewhere (RUDE ROSEBUD SURNAMES*), I'll just give you a clue as to why Dromana West was not renamed WANNAEUE as suggested in 1939.

(* Raper was often pronounced as Roper by such as Ray Cairns and Bill Dryden who would have called Eastbourne Rd ROPER'S LANE. Charlie Coleman changed the spelling.)
Mr. and Mrs. Webster, of "Dunhelen,” Bulla, and Mr J. Raper of “Wanawer,” Rosebud, were the guests of Mr. and Mrs. H. Park, for the Dookie College Jubilee.
(P.4, Shepparton Advertiser, 15-10-1936.)

FROM PAGE 2 OF BOGIES AND BIRDIES (Charles Robinson Coleman.)
The land selected was part of a property bounded by Eastbourne Road, Jetty Road, Government Road (later Hiscock Road and now part of the Country Club), and Boneo Road. It was formerly owned by a Mr Jack Rapir and purchased by FORESTRY PULP AND PAPER COMPANY PTY. LTD. in 1938 for development as a pine plantation.
Shortly after Christmas, 1958, a fire swept through 500 acres of the pine forest, severely damaging the trees. (etc.)

Viewed: 148 times
Likes: 0
by itellya Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2019-03-20 02:14:02

Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.