<< Previous - Next >>


Journal by itellya

Having become aware that James Hearn may not have been the last lessee of the Mount Martha Run and that William Biggam was the lessee of the run in 1850, and that William Biggam was insolvent by 1859 and may have forfeited the run, thus leaving the pre-emptive right, Dalkeith open to purchase at auction by Hearn, I was doing a "Mount Martha" search on trove (1840's) when I saw what was a vague reference to Jamieson selling his special survey to a man in Sydney which was so vague that it seemed little more than a rumour but was confirmed moments later.

The Mount Martha Run was north of, and the Survey south of, a line indicated by Ellerina/Bruce/Foxeys Roads from the bay to Bulldog Creek Rd.


Special Surveys. — The Herald, of Tues
day. states, that Mr. Hugh Jamieson has
disposed of his Special Survey at Mount
Martha, to a gentleman in Sydney for
£10,240, at a credit of three years on good
security, bills bearing bank interest. The
name of the purchaser is not mentioned.
(Port Phillip Patriot and Melbourne Advertiser (Vic. : 1839 - 1845) Thursday 19 August 1841 p 3)

A Grant by Purchase to Hugh Jamieson,
And Sold to J, T. HUGHES, of Sydney
On THURSDAY, lb. 8th February, 1844, at his
Mart, George.street and Charlotte-place, at
twelve o'clock precisely.
Description as per Deed of Grant, under the
hand and seal of His Excellency Sir George
Gipps, dated 18th day of October, 1841.
ALL that Piece or Parcel of Land, containing
by admeasurement 5,120 acres, be the same
more or less, situated in. the county (unnamed*)
and parish of Kangerong, near Mount Martha;
bounded on the west by
on the north by a line about 10 chains south of
Mount Martha bearing east 328 chains 75 links;
on the east by a line bearing south 160 chains,
and on the south by a line bearing west 369 chains
75 links, being the land advertised as Lot 6, in
the Government Notice dated 3lh June, 1841.
A Cottage has been erected on the Estate, and
other improvements have been made thereon.
Terms at sale. (P.3, Port Phillip Gazette, 31-1-1844.)

In view of the above, this passage from page 30 of A DREAMTIME OF DROMANA seems interesting.

The next day (February 10,1844)Captain Reid and Mr McCrae inspected that part of Jamieson's Survey which allows a small run to be taken up. Georgiana recorded that on February 15th, "Captain and Mrs Reid, Mr (Hugh*)Jamieson, Mr McCrae and myself went on horseback to inspect the Survey."

*Colin McLear had quite logically assumed that the Mr Jamieson mentioned was the grantee of the survey, but he might have been the Mr Jamieson who wrote the letter to Governor Latrobe, quoted on page 25 of Colin's book, stating:"I arrived in Port Phillip towards the end of the year 1838 and about six weeks later etc."; this was ROBERT Jamieson of the Cape Schanck Run.

However this Mr Jamieson may have had cattle on the Survey as shown by this passage on page 31 Colin's book. Of course the cattle could have strayed all the way from Cape Schanck. If it was Hugh Jamieson, he might have been leasing the Survey from JOHN TERRY Hughes who, with John Hosking, had bought huge areas of land in the parish of WILL WILL ROOK,(in the present suburbs of Broadmeadows, Glenroy and Attwood) snapped up for a song by Donald Kennedy in the mid 1840's. (P.15, 22, BROADMEADOWS A FORGOTTEN HISTORY, Andrew Lemon.) Hughes probably never saw any of the land that he had bought in Sydney. His speculation was undone by the 1843 depression.

Of a later time on the visit of February 15 1844, Georgiana wrote:
Returning over the hill, Mr Jamieson was able to identify some of his own bullocks among strangers, quietly at graze, whereupon, he and Captain Reid, with much shouting and cracking of whips, proceeded to cut them out from the mob.

It is likely that John Terry Hughes' mortgagees in 1844 were the same bank that leased the survey in two parts to (a)Charles Graves and William Brownlee, the southern 4000+ and (b)the Connells, the northern 1000+ acres, in 1851. Leonard Wilding would have obtained the following information from Charles Graves.

The survey was occupied for some time by Jamieson Bros, and later on passed into the hands of the Bank of Australasia. In the middle of January, 1851*, Mr Graves, now of Woodlands, Flinders, entered into a tenancy of 4120 acres of the area. The other portion, including the house, was rented by Connell Bros. When Mr Graves and his partner, Mr Brown Lee (who at the start, went in extensively for wheat growing), had occupied the place for about five years, it was purchased by Mr Clark*, the grandfather of Sir Rupert Clark*, the present owner. Five years after the sale Mr Clark**, Mr Griffiths, and Mr Gibson, whose families are still in possession, became the tenants of the property. The rental paid by Messrs Graves and Brown Lee in the early days was 10s per acre.
Mornington Standard (Vic. : 1889 - 1908) Saturday 2 September 1905 p 6 Article

* Clarke **An owner can't be a tenant on his own property. Clarke was assessed on portions of the estate not being occupied in any given year.

On page 33 of A DREAMTIME OF DROMANA, Colin McLear quotes from the Victorian Historical Magazine, Volume XIII, 1928-9: "Hugh Jamieson did not reside for any length of time on the Survey, and from about the middle forties until 1851, it was leased to Henry Dunn*, after whom Dunn's Creek is named. Rolf Boldrewood recorded that by 1842, Hugh Jamieson was at Tallarook on the Golburn with his brothers, Archibald and Thos. In 1851, Allison and Knight, who had a flour mill at Dight's Falls on the Yarra, became agents for the land, and leased it to Charles Graves and William Brownlee who grew extensive areas of wheat on it. Later it was sublet into small areas to several tenants, and ultimately, a great deal of it passed into the hands of the Clarke family."

*Henry Dunn was on the Survey by March 1845 when he killed a snake. He sometimes visited the Arthurs Seat homestead. (P. 33, A DREAMTIME OF DROMANA.) HOWEVER, HE WAS NOT ON HIS OWN! When I first read Edmond Dunn's biography in 1988, I didn't have a clue where Jamiesons Special Survey might be.

DUNN, Edmond, Broadmeadows, is a native of Devonshire, who arrived on the WESTMINSTER in 1841 after a voyage of 100 days. He resided in the metropolis for a few years working for others and doing a little farming on his own account, growing oats on a small patch of land on which Coburg now stands. After leasing some land on JAMIESON'S SPECIAL SURVEY for FIVE YEARS,he purchased Viewpoint Farm at Broadmeadows in 1849 and commenced growing wheat.

ALL of the Survey passed into the hands of William John Turner (Big) Clarke as described in great detail by C.N.Hollinshed in LIME LAND LEISURE. Clarke sold the northern 1000+ acres to John Vans Agnew Bruce a partner in Cornish and Bruce which later built the Murray River and Mount Alexander Railway (which by sheer coincidence had a crazy detour from Diggers Rest through Sunbury (at the back of the future "Rupertswood" which had its own private station!)to Clarkefield before returning to the logical course through New Gisborne. The northern 1000+ acres were sold AT A PROFIT to Bruce, and were certainly not a wedding present to a member of the Prime Minister's family.

The McLears arrived in 1851 which makes me suspect that the subletting of part of the southern 4000+ acres may have commenced almost straight away, instigated by William Brownlee who was at the Plenty at the same time as John McLear was murdered on Boxing Day, 1849 and may have suggested to John's widow, who became a partner with Charles Graves in a hawking business, that a small farm (The Willow)could be available for her. The Connells continued to lease parts of the Bruce Estate well after James Connell* (who played in the Peninsula's first football match, organised by the Barker Brothers) received his grants near the north end of Balnarring Rd, near the Tuerong Station.

The 1851 lease must have been only for two years as Allison and Knight were advertising the northern 1000+ acres again in 1853. That portion had obviously not been sublet yet.

TO LET. 1024 acres of Land, a portion of Jamieson's Special Survey, having a frontage of 32 chains to the Bay of Port Phillip; Apply to Allison and Knight. 18845 (P.3, Argus, 1-3-1853.)

All from my HERITAGE WALK, DROMANA journal.
STOLEN, on Saturday evening, or Sunday morning lost, from off Jamieson's Survey,Western Port-A bay mare, a little white on hind legs, branded (something?*) over C right shoulder, and a circle cross-barred on off neck, and a switch tail.

To any person bringing the mare to the Globe Inn, Melbourne, £2 will be paid ; and £5 to whoever gives such information as will lead to the capture and conviction of the thief,who is well known.
WILLIAM BROWNLEE. April 26, 1851.(P.3, Argus, 1-5-1851.)

SIR, - Re "New Chum's" inquiry in your last issue as to the oldest resident of the Peninsula, I think I am one of the few that are left. I left the Isle of Man in August, 1849, and arrived in Melbourne December the same year. After spending 12 months near Melbourne, I came to Dromana (then called Jamieson's Survey) on January
15th, 1851. I rented 4000 acres of land from the Bank of Australia for nine years, and in 1860 bought the
property I am now living on. You will therefore see that I am one of the old pioneers.
C. GRAVES. "Woodlands," Shoreham. (P.3, Mornington Standard, 22-3-1902.)

WALTER GIBSON ALSO HAD A BROTHER ON THE SURVEY WITH HIM. Both were sons of Adam Gibson and Janet Purdie.
Extract from my journal THE GIBSON OF DROMANA WHO BECAME A KIWI in which all sources are given.
John Gibson 1859 - 1932 Kangarong, Victoria, Australia
Cert reads: 3 August 1859, Jamiesons Survey, Kangerong, Victoria, John, not ... or nurse to certify, signatures of occupiers or other witnesses, Mrs Brownlee ... Registered 3 Oct 1859 at Schnapper Point by William Armstrong, Deputy Registrar ..

Like Mary Ann McLear, Sarah arrived on the Survey as a widow.
Extract from my journal THE MYSTERIOUS SARAH WILSON.
Sarah Spence was born in County Tyrone,Ireland and at the age of 21, she married Oliver Wilson, a staunch Presbyterian and a shoemaker. Oliver, son of George and Martha,was born on County Donegal in 1791.His mother died in 1831 aged 80 and probably because he no longer had the responsibility of her care,he married in 1832 at the age of 40. Three children were to share the voyage to Australia: George b.1833,Jane b.1834 and Matilda b.1837.

Since 1835, there had been a bounty of 38 pounds paid for married couples under the age of 40 who went to the colony so Oliver,now 49, declared that he was 38 and that Sarah (actually 29) was 34. Having crossed the Irish Sea,they sailed from Liverpool on the Argyle,leaving on 7-11-1840 and landing at William's Town on 12-4-1841, glad to step ashore after the confined space in steerage.

Oliver continued his trade as a shoemaker and the family had a house in Flinders Lane where their fourth child,Robert, was born on 11-7-1843. Melbourne had been declared a Town in 1842 and by the birth was probably in the grip of a severe depression,but Oliver persevered and by 1847 was making a good living from his craft, with help from 14 year-old George. Oliver died on 12-1-1851 and soon rents became astronomical because of the gold rush, so 18 year-old George,now the head of the family suggested a move to cheaper housing on Jamieson's Special Survey near Arthur's Seat (the present Safety Beach, east to Bulldog Creek Rd.) This makes it likely that Sarah's family arrived on the Survey in 1851 or soon after,rather than 1855 as stated by Colin McLear and the pioneer pathway plaque. How could Jane and Matilda have married fellow Survey residents on 18-4-1855 if they had not spent some time getting to know each other?


George's father, also George, was born in Birmingham and, convicted of stealing brushes at the age of 16 was transported to Van Dieman's Land in 1820. Having served his time, he married Charlotte, who had been convicted of highway robbery, in 1826 and George Junior was born in 1828. Charlotte was murdered by being pushed into a fire when the boy was about 7 and his father later married Elizabeth Jones (who had been transported for stealing a purse.)George's father and stepmother were recorded as passengers to the Port Phillip District (Victoria) in 1848. Petronella Wilson speculated that George (junior)worked his passage across and mentioned no siblings (which surely there were unless there was a reproduction problem.)

George Young junior married Jane Wilson at Sarah Wilson's house on the Survey on 18-4-1855. Jane had been born in 1834 to Oliver and Sarah Wilson and had been about 7 when the family arrived on 12-1-1841. George was now 25 and his occupation was given as carpenter. On the same day, possibly simultaneously, Jane's sister, Matilda, married William Johnson. The two couples later moved to Melway 255 H-J 1 with George Wilson, brother of the brides.George and Jane had five children:Jane Ann, George, Mary Jane, John and Sarah.

Jane died at 29 shortly after Sarah's birth on 12-8-1863 and the baby was taken in by Matilda and William. On 2-1-1866,George married Janet White, an orphaned 18 year old from Mt Martha. George Wilson and his fiancee, Mary Jane Connell were witnesses; Mary Jane's father, Anthony, had been granted a huge area of land across three chain road from the grants of Andrew White, who may have been Janet's father.

Jamieson did not spend much time on his survey but somebody who did live there was Mrs Newby. On 15-2-1844, Captain Reid and his wife, (Hugh?) Jamieson and Georgiana McCrae and hubby, Andrew, visited the Survey, meeting Mrs Newby and her two daughters. Mrs Newby complained of loneliness during Captain Newby's absences at sea. On 27-7-1845,Andrew told Georgiana about the three Newby children drowning. (P. 30 A DREAMTIME OF DROMANA.) Was this true? Yes!

SHIPWRECKS. LOSS OF THE MARY. By the steamer Shamrock, which arrived here on Sunday, the distressing intelligence has been received of the total wreck of the barque Mary, Captain Newby, from this port to London in Bass's Straits; and we are sorry to add that no less than seventeen of her passengers have perished. The Mary left Sydney for London on the 19th of May, having on board 69 souls, including the crew, and a very valuable cargo. It was intended by the owners that she should proceed by the usual course round Cape Horn, and the Mary stood away to the southward for that purpose, but when she was off Cape Howe, the wind being at east south-east, with every appearance of a continuance from the same quarter, Captain Newby determined to attempt the westerly passage, notwithstanding the unpromising time of the year, and accordingly stood into Bass's Straits for that purpose. On the morning of the 24th May, the Mary was off Wilson's Promontory, when the wind suddenly died away, and at 10 A. M. a strong breeze sprung up from the northwest, and gradually increased to a gale with heavy rain. Thinking he had now got into a westerly wind, the captain determined to give up the westerly passage, and accordingly bore up and ran to the southward of Sir Roger Curtis' and Kent's Groups. At 6 P. M. he estimated the ship's position to be five miles south of the body of Kent's Group, fixed her course at east by north, and having been up the two previous nights, the captain went to bed, there being then a breeze from the north- west, which was sending the ship seven knots per hour. The chief mate had the watch from 8 to 12; about 11 he called the captain, saying he thought " land was handy ;" but upon the captain going upon deck, he could not see any land, and found that it was almost a calm. Broken water, however, was soon discovered off the lee beam,and a strong current was rapidly driving the ship towards it. There was no wind to make the ship answer her helm, she refused stays and drove broadside onto the rock. She first touched on the starboard bilge, then under the fore chains, and immediately parted abaft the foremast, the bows slipping off the rock into deep water; she then struck abaft, unshipped her rudder, and the topsides floated off the bottom,over the reef into smooth water. In seven minutes from the time she struck, the ship was in pieces. The most melancholy part remains to be told. Seventeen women and children were drowned and what is most extraordinary is, that not a mast was lost. Those drowned were-three of Captain Newby's daughters; six children of Mrs. Evans; Augusta and Catherine, daughters of Captain Collins, of Illawarra ; Mrs Heather, and two children, Mrs. Grey, Mrs. Turnbull, and Sarah Foulkes, servant to Mrs. Collins. How the remainder were saved we cannot understand. Captain Newby only remarks," we were saved in the long boat in the most wonderful manner." The above parties were lost in consequence of the upsetting of the whale boat, into which they had been lowered, but it has not been ascertained how this accident occurred. The reef upon which the Mary was lost lies to the north east of a rock described in the Australian Directory as Wright's rock, about three and a half miles, and is known to the sealers who visit Furneaux's Island as the north east or deep reef. etc.
(P.3, Mornington Chronicle, Sydney, 25-6-1845.)

by itellya Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2018-07-15 23:46:37

Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


by itellya on 2018-07-17 06:14:40

This is the article that I was searching for when I discovered the PORT PHILLIP SURVEY article that gave, I believe, the true story of the naming of Mt Eliza. If I'd included Tasmania in the search term in the first place I would have found this, and not all the information about the early surveyors.
The Darley's were another part of the untold early history of Jamieson's Special Survey!

EventDeath Event registration number13617 Registration year1908
Personal information
Family nameDARLEY Given namesAnnie SexUnknown Father's nameMaude Thos Mother's nameUnknown (Unknown) Place of birth Place of deathFlinders Age90

by itellya on 2018-07-17 08:29:45

This is not early history but explains why Bulldog Creek Road, the eastern boundary of the survey, does not continue south to Melway 161 J7.
The original road between Dromana and Bittern was reserved from 160 A4 to probably 164 E 7 although it might have been intended to go from coast to coast(165 A7.)

From 161 G12, the continuation of Red Hill Road is called Junction Rd, which implies that it led to a junction, presumably the junction of the Bittern road and Bulldog Creek Road in 161 J7. Big Clarke bought the survey in THREE portions according to C.N.Hollinshed in LIME LAND LEISURE. Pickings and Wallaces Rds, probably divided the central and southern portions,(both of which were retained by Big Clarke) the northern one which he sold to John Vans Agnew Bruce being north of the line of the Martha Cove Waterway. Bulldog Creek Road still runs through the central portion but bends south west to connect with Wallaces Rd, which was a boundary between Clarke Estate lots, the Pattersons (Fingal bred lads) purchasing two lots north of what was originally called Patterson's Lane as Colin McLear mentions (although he did not know the Pattersons were the family after whom Pattersons Rd, Fingal was named.)

If the bend at the east end of Wallaces Rd is ignored and a line is continued east to the line of the original Bulldog Creek road (the Dromana/ Bittern North boundary)the length of the missing piece of Bulldog Creek Road can be measured. On Melway, each millimetre represents a chain (20 metres.) The missing section of the road is 70mm long on Melway, hence 70 chains. Government roads (or parish roads), of which Bulldog Creek Rd was one, were one chain wide. The area of the closed road is therefore 70 x 1 chain, 70 square chains or 7 acres. The Clarke executors called it 6 acres when they sought to buy the unused road in 1903. Bulldog Creek Rd, the boundary between Kangerong and Balnarring parishes was obviously unused because of the same reason that the planned road to Bittern mentioned earlier was never made, the Tubbarubba Diggings.

The Secretary for Public Works wrote, stating that application had been made under the Unused Roads and Water Frontage Act by the executrix and executors of the late Sir W. J. Clarke for a license to occupy a road, 6 acres in extent, on the east of Jamieson's special survey, parish of Kangerong. This road had not been included in the council's return under the Act, and if it could be declared an unused road, the valuation should be submitted.-Received. (P.6, Mornington Standard, 4-11-1905.)

It looks as if the Clarkes achieved the purchase. William Raper of the Wannaeue Estate applied in 1913* to buy the portion of the government road (near the Drumdrumalloc Creek between Boneo and Jetty Rds), called Hiscock Rd near Truemans Rd, and although the council did not support his bid, he must have succeeded because, otherwise, there'd be a road running between the north and south sections of the Rosebud Country Club golf course!
(P.3, Mornington Standard, 2-8-1913.)

by itellya on 2018-07-17 08:35:49

Oops, The Clarke request was in 1905, not 1903. One of the executors was Rupert Clarke, Bart, son of Sir William, and source of the name of Rupertswood at Sunbury, birthplace of "The Ashes."

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.