<< Previous - Next >>


Journal by itellya

George Page Barber, one of Melbourne's early lawyers, married the daughter of Thomas Napier, (one of Melbourne's early residents) and spent many years practising law in Warrnambool before Eleanor inherited the eastern part of Napier's land at Strathmore and George built the Rosebank mansion, near Rosebank Avenue (Melway 16 J12.)

Eleanor's brother,Theodore, built Magdala near Magdala Ave (Melway 16 F12) on land that Thomas gave him and in about 1915 donated Napier Park (16G 12) to Essendon Council. Magdala was a place in Ethiopia that was recaptured by Lord Napier.

John Martin Ardlie was the grantee, on 31-7-1843, of crown allotment 2,section 4 of 225 acres near the south east corner of the parish of Tullamarine. It fronted the east side of today's Mickleham Rd from the roundabout (Melway 5 J12) to just north of the Scampton Court corner and extended east to the Moonee Ponds Creek. South of his farm was E.E.Kenny's Camp Hill which was renamed as Gowanbrae in about 1940.

Westmeadows (Broadmeadows Township) was on an early route to Sydney and Ardlie St led northwards up the hill out of the township whose northern boundary was Kenny St. (The author of the article about Eleanor Barber is probably a member of E.E.Kenny's family by birth or marriage.)

Henry Mawbey, a butcher mentioned by Harry Peck, was involved from 1862 on St Johns (section 23, parish of Doutta Galla), bounded by a northerly extension of Nomad Rd and an eastern extension of English St (in Essendon Aerodrome) to the Moonee Ponds Creek. The detail below comes from my EARLY LANDOWNERS: PARISH OF TULLAMARINE.

Eleanor Barber of Warrnambool

Eleanor Barber of Rosebank, Essendon
Eleanor was born in 1847 at Rosebank, Essendon, the fifth child to pioneers Thomas and Jessie Napier. Of the couple?s ten children four survived childhood but the deaths, aged 19, of two Napier sons, left only Eleanor and Theodore to live to adulthood.
In 1859 Eleanor journeyed with her family to Europe. She travelled with her parents and received schooling at an Edinburgh Girls College returning in 1861. As a young woman Eleanor was quiet and domesticated, relieving her mother of housekeeping and caring nothing for fashion. Several suitors sought the young heiress but Eleanor was firm - "He must be a Christian and win my confidence and love." Her future husband George Page Barber [1838-1914] arrived in Melbourne in August 1860 and worked as a pastoralist. Both the Napier and Barber families were firm adherents of the Baptist Church. George and Eleanor married at the old Rosebank in Feb 1869.
The newly married pair left at once, with George?s brother, by steamer for Rockhampton. Difficulties had developed with the Napier?s Queensland properties and George was to resolve these. Their goal was Oakey Station, normally a five day trip. Arriving in March they travelled by bullock wagons over unmade roads, bridgeless rivers and a country infested with bushrangers. The wet season arrived early which made travel more difficult. All the rivers were in flood and with their rations gone they decided to swim the horses across one river and use a bark canoe for Eleanor and their goods. In the crossing they were overturned but eventually found refuge in a tree twelve feet above the waterline. They kept themselves awake that night by singing hymns. In the morning Eleanor elected to be strapped to her husband whilst he swam for shore against the surging river. Eleanor was pulled under the water several times but retained her presence of mind.
They came ashore in dense shrub and pushed their way through this for several miles till Eleanor was overcome. George located a campsite and they lived with the stockmen for nine days eating parrot stew and horse feed till they could get across the river to be reunited with Samuel. There after a feed of salt beef and pumpkin they rode the thirty miles to their new home. They had taken 34 days for the journey of 165 miles.
Eleanor was pregnant and gave birth to the first of her eight children in the small slab hut in November 1869. They returned to Victoria in 1871 to live at Staywood Park, a grazing property of 5,000 acres, near Warrnambool. Journeys to Melbourne were made by a coastal steamer. After the death of her father in 1881 the family travelled to Europe. In 1888 her last child was born and in 1890 the couple inherited Rosebank [which was re built in its present form in 1892 after the fire] and divided their time between their two homes.
The Women?s Christian Temperance Union, formed in the USA in 1874, came to Victoria in the early 1880s with the formation of local unions. Eleanor was described as one of the backbones of the Union from its inception. She attended the first convention in 1887 and made the first donation {₤5}.She went on to Superintend three WCTU Departments, Heredity and Health, Mother's Meetings and Narcotics and presented papers relevant to this work at conferences. She was on the editorial board of the WCTU journal White Ribbon Signal and for a time was Editor.
The WCTU was committed to the cause of female suffrage, organising the 1891 30,000 strong Monster petition. Eleanor Barber?s signature is present on Page 735, her address being Warrnambool. Her co founder of the WCTU, Margaret McLean was the first signatory as WCTU President. George was supportive of Eleanor?s work and in 1894 he became the first President of the Victorian Women?s Franchise League.
In 1900 Eleanor went with her family to Europe and the USA attending the International WCTU Convention in London. She died aged in 1902 from complications arising from an internal ulcer. On her deathbed she spoke of the ideal happiness of her married life. In 1908 Eleanor?s son, the Rev Lorraine Barber made a WCTU marriage with a daughter of Margaret, Dr Alice McLean.
Taken from the extensive genealogy work of Helen Carnegie and Laurie J Vaux, friends of Eleanor's grand daughter, Margaret Eleanor Barber. Material from their researches prepared and submitted with permission by Marilyn Kenny Essendon Historical Society.
This person used this address when signing the Women's Suffrage petition in 1891.
Barber, Eleanor - Public Record Office Victoria - PROV Wiki,_Eleanor

(N.B. In my FERRIER/HUTCHINS journal, I speculated that Frances Aikin who married William John Ferrier, might have been influenced by Evelyn Gough but she may have been influenced by Eleanor Barber too.)

The following is a typewritten family history with incredible detail.
The Barber Family Chronicle - Page 99 - Google Books Result

The biography of John Martin Ardlie's son is in VICTORIA AND ITS METROPOLIS, PAST AND PRESENT by Alexander Sutherland (1888.)
22b, Doutta Galla (Melway 16 B4), is roughly bounded by the Albion-Jacana railway, a northern extension of Nomad Rd,Tasman Avenue and Tullamarine Freeway.
Ardlie mortgaged his 225 acres at Tullamarine on 14-6-1844 (L291/14/5 owing), 14-10-1847 (300 pounds) and then conveyed it to Daniel Newman on 3-10-1848 for 560 pounds. On the next day he bought the 65 ? acre allotment B of section 22, Doutta Galla from the Grantee, John Purnell, for 160 pounds. By 1-11-1848 he?d had to deposit the deeds as security for L157/10/- he owed C.H.Dight for flour.(F 647) Then on 5-3-1849, Ardlie sold the 65 ? acres to Joseph Hall for 200 pounds and moved away, soon becoming a pioneer of Warrnambool.

When Capt. Ardlie signed the Loyal Address to the Duke of Edinburgh in 1867 he gave his date of arrival in the colony as August 1841. However he may not have reached Melbourne until early the following month as it was on 7 September 1841 that the "Port Phillip Herald" announced his arrival overland from Sydney. He had brought livestock with him which included Burmese ponies and at least two camels. The newspaper reported that the camels could be viewed at the yard surrounding the Survey Office. There were two young female camels, fifteen months old and about sixteen hands high but expected to grow much larger. Two male camels were said to have died on the voyage to Sydney.

Capt. Ardlie had tried to interest the Government in contracting him to import more camels into Australia. A communication had been made to Lord John Russell who wrote from England on 28 March 1841 to Sir George Gipps about the matter. The Governor even laid Lord Russell's letter before the Legislative Council in Sydney in order to publicise the suggestion. Public opinion was divided about the matter but some were prepared to give the camels a trial.

Capt. Ardlie initially settled on the Merri Creek 8 miles north of Melbourne. His wife, Mary Ann (nee Leighton), and their children are thought to have arrived at Melbourne on 22 October 1841 per "Lysander" direct from England. Unfortunately, like many others at the time, he got into financial difficulties and in April 1845 became insolvent. Described as a farmer of Moonee Ponds, he was found to have debts of ?4,094 8s 10d. Landed property, none. Personal property ?37 8s. Outstanding debts, &c. all bad, ?405. Balance deficiency ?3652 0s 10d.

A report in "The Melbourne Argus" on 24 July 1846 differed slightly from the earlier one in the "Port Phillip Herald". It said that one male and two female camels had been brought to Melbourne. The male had died and the two females had been purchased by the Government with the view of raising a breed in the colony. They were then being kept in the Government domain in Sydney. It said another male camel imported at a later date had also died.

The article in "The Melbourne Argus" also reported that in 1845 camels had been successfully introduced into the Isle of France (Mauritius). Their food there cost only half that of mules, they could easily carry seven to eight hundred pounds in weight, and they did not have to be shod. They were broken in in their tenth year and were likely to outlive several generations of mules. Also, the price paid for them was only half that for mules and was likely to diminish as the demand for them in quantity increased.

When two further children were taken to be baptised at St. James Church in Melbourne in 1847 the family abode was given as "Camelswold". The children were named William Ardlie and Maria Lucretia Ardlie.

In 1849 he was again declared insolvent. This was apparently the result of a failed attempt to set himself up as a provisions dealer in premises on the north-west corner of Lonsdale and Elizabeth Streets, Melbourne (opposite St. Francis Church). On this occasion it was anticipated he could pay his creditors about 6s. 8d. in the pound.

His fortunes appear to have later improved for in March 1850 Capt. Ardlie was appointed Clerk of Petty Sessions at Kilmore. He was also Postmaster there. In 1852 he was appointed Clerk of Petty Sessions, Clerk of the Peace, and Registrar at Warrnambool. He also acted as Harbour Master in Lady Bay for a time. When he retired from the Public Service in 1868 he was well respected and was presented with a complimentary address signed by the Police Magistrate and local justices.

He died on 13 February 1872 at his residence "Wyton", Warrnambool. An obituary was published in "The Warrnambool Examiner" giving details of his life. He was born on 10 March 1793 at Kelvedon, Essex, England and was married in May 1825 at Westminster, London, England. Five years later he became commander of a vessel in the East India Company's Service in which he remained for about eight years. He subsequently purchased several vessels in England, amongst which were the "Wyton" and "Lord Amherst". He traded in the "Wyton" for several years. About 1839 he left for Australia, landing in Sydney, New South Wales.

The funeral service was conducted by the Rev. Dr. Peter Teulon Beamish at Christ Church, Warrnambool. Dr. Beamish delivered a feeling address in which he alluded to the deceased as a pattern to be followed by his fellow-men, in living an active, upright, christian life. He was buried at Warrnambool Cemetery with his wife who had died in 1870. It was said that his surviving camels were then located at Twofold Bay.

Contributed by Alexander Romanov-Hughes ( PPPG Member No. 52 )

Carnarvon Rd, Strathmore, was originally known as Mawbey's Road and the boundary between sections 16 and 23 (line of English St) as Mawbey's Lane according to early title documents.
Sketch of Title 11578 seems to indicate that St John made Charles Hotson Ebden a dower trustee on 25-2-1843 (B 304). On 17-12-1844, section 23 was conveyed to Sir John Franklin by Ebden, Frederick Armand Powlett (who was probably also a trustee) and St John (c 341).
On 31-3-1852, Sir John and Dame Jane leased 414 acres of section 23 to Thomas Lawson for 10 years at a rent of 100 pounds p.a. This land went east to ?Nursery Corner?. On 17-3-1862, Henry Mawbey (mentioned by Harry Peck) started a 5 year lease of 123 acres commonly known as Dunn?s Farm and recently occupied by Eliza Guest. As mentioned before, section 23 only consisted of 525 acres, and these two farms had a total area of 537 acres. Dunn?s farm actually comprised 111 acres of section 23 plus the northernmost 12 acres of section 15.
Running from the present Arvon Rd to the Moonee Ponds Creek, this section 15 land ran 295 links south from the Lebanon/Amar St corner to the Lebanon/ Melissa St corner. Franklin bought it from E.J.Brewster on 15-2-1847 for 48 pounds. Because the block was always referred to as part of section 23, there is no sketch of title in J.M.English?s application for title No.46645. When Franklin died he gave Dame Jane, who had borne him no children, only her clothes and left his estate to a daughter from a previous marriage. This 12 acre block was fenced in 1882, possibly by John Murray Peck, but was never sold by Franklin. English claimed title through long occupation.

On 16-2-1863, Thomas Henry Lawson Young agreed to lease 419 ? acres at 294 ? pounds p.a. Young obviously did not see out the lease as on 1-6-1871 Henry Mawby bought 525 acres from Dame Jane Franklin. Earlier on 28-2-1871, Mawbey had memorialised a lease in duplicate in which Thomas Kelly agreed to pay him 200 pounds p.a. for 5 years for 200 acres (poorly described but probably the land later occupied by Robert McDougall.)

On 28-6-1871, Mawbey mortgaged section 23 to Bishop Charles Perry for 2500 pounds. By 9-10-1873, Mawbey was forced to mortgage it (now 521 acres) to Tondeur and Lempriere. He was now a meat preserver at Warrnambool and Mawbey, Collins & Co. owed money to the Melbourne merchants. Mawbey conveyed the 525 acres to Lempriere for 5645 pounds on 23-7-1874 and on 23-1-1875 his mortgage was cleared. On 23-2-1875, William George Lempriere leased 310 acres 23 perches (St Johns Farm) to Thomas Kelly and mortgaged this farm and the triangular 26 acre 1 rood 20 perches (the s/w corner of section 23 on the other side of Bulla Rd) to Joseph Henry Kay for 4000 pounds. On the same day, Thomas Kelly surrendered the lease on 200 acres (from Henry Mawby) that was memorialised on 21-2-1871.

Frances"Fanny" MAWBEY, ,of Hopkins House , Hopkins ...
Frances"Fanny" MAWBEY, ,of Hopkins House , Hopkins River,Warrnambool,Vic. b. 1855 Melbourne, Victoria, Australia d. 19 Oct 1945 "Craigie", Poowong,

Viewed: 1479 times
Likes: 0
by itellya Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2014-05-26 00:22:42

Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


by itellya on 2014-05-26 10:31:04

This journal was originally an email sent to Janet McDonald of the Warrnambool Historical Society as a thank you for all the help she has given me. The email could not be read by others,such as Elayne Whatman of the Broadmeadows Historical Society,and a journal would make the information available to them too.

Hi xxx,

What fascinating material you have sent me. These people ? the Barbers & JM Ardlie in particular - are luminaries in Warrnambool?s history and we have quite a body of documentation relating to their contribution to our city. I?m not sure that these other details are at all well known to us, so this information will be valuable additions to our files.

One of our members is currently undertaking research on the temperance movement in the local area, so he will be very interested in the Barber back story.

I am now back from a week off and struggling to address the back log of emails which has accumulated in my absence. I will contact the various parties regarding the Ferrier/La Bella anniversary in the upcoming weeks to follow up on the ground work you have already done.

Thank you again for the information you have sent us,



user Cbur deactivated

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.