Viola Henrietta BERRY (1870-1951) Western Australia
the LIST of SURNAMES connected to this family including:
ANGOVE, ARTIS, BALLANTINE, BATHGATE, BLAMEY, CHRISTIE, CLUNING, COTTERELL, CROW, CURTIN, DOBSON, DONLEAVY, ECCLESTONE, ELD, FLEAY, GEGGIE. GRAINGER, HALLINAN, HIGGS, HURST, JORDAN, KEE, JESSELL, LIVESLEY, MANNERING, MARSHALL, MOTTRAM, NUSKE, PEPIN, PICKERSGILL, RANN, SLATER, STINTON, TAPPER, TONKIN, TRIGWELL, WAKELY, WARK, WATERMAN, WOOD
Viola Henrietta ? was base born, possibly in Busselton, to 'Avis' Henrietta Allen (1852-1945) when Avis was 18
* Avis married Edward BALDOCK (1838-1910) in Busselton in 1871 when she was 19 and had 2 children. Edward arrived into Fremantle on the convict ship 'Corona' 22 Dec 1866. He died of double pneumonia in the Government Hospital 1 March 1910 after having been lost in the bush. The papers record he had no friends or relatives in the locality. He was buried in Narrogin.
* Avis next married? Charles Albert BERRY (1852-) c1876 when she was 24 and had 6 children. Viola Henrietta then became a Berry. Avis & Charles had 6 children
The death of Charles Albert Berry not yet found.
* Avis had a son, Ernest Charles James 'Ernie' Berry in Boranup, near Karridale, in 1891 when she was 39. His father's recorded name was "unknown".
Ernie became a Berry & married Ella Lilian DONOVAN in 1924
* Avis died 18 Jan 1945 when she was 92 and was buried at Karrakatta
* Viola Henrietta Berry had a base born son, Henry Hugh 'Harry' Berry in Berridale, NSW, when she was 17
* Viola had a daughter, May Gopp, in Albany in 1889 to William GOPP (1864-?) when she was 19
* Viola married William Adolphus Trankenbergh CLOWES (1864-1899) in Albany in 1890 when she was 20 and had 4 children. Harry Berry & May Gopp then became Clowes.
William was a son of Josiah Clowes & Louisa Nickson/Nichson of Great Bolton
Viola & William owned the Donnybrook Hotel. William shot himself on 15 May 1899 in their Donnybrook Hotel when he was 34
* Viola next married George Robert PITTMAN (1873-1939) 9 July 1902 in Fremantle when she was 32 and had a daughter.
Viola & George owned the Donnybrook Hotel
the CHILDREN of Viola Henrietta Berry
1887 - 1927 Henry Hugh 'Harry' Berry/Clowes
* born in Berridale, N.S.W.
- Henry married Ellen Euphemia Mary 'Ellie' MURPHY (1887-1959) in 1911
Ellie was a daughter of Jeremiah Duff MURPHY & Jessie Dalrymple BALLANTINE
HENRY & ELLIE had 3 known children:
* 1912 - 1998 Viola Jessie 'Jean' Clowes
- Jean married Raymond Wyrill 'Jack' WALKER in Perth 1936
* 1913 - 1999 William Adolphus 'Dolph' Clowes
- Dolph married Dorothy Edith 'Dot' STONE in Perth 1940
* 1919 - 1982 Keith Henry Clowes
- Keith married Gabriel Merle 'Gay' PERRET (1923-2013) in Claremont 1949
1889 - ? May Gopp/Clowes
* born in Albany, W.A.
- MAY married Alexander Bowen 'Alex' BATHGATE (1874-1950) in Donnybrook 1912
Alex was a son of Simon BATHGATE & Hannah Ann McBRIDE
MAY & ALEX had 3 known children:
* 1914 - 2010 Viola Bathgate
- Viola married Alfred Andrew 'Alf' WARK in Perth 1942 & moved to South Australia
* 1916 - 1917 William Bowen Bathgate
* 1920 - 1997 Raymond Alexander Bathgate
1891 - 1965 Phoebe Louisa Clowes
* born in Albany, W.A.
- Phoebe married William Frederick ARTIS in Donnybrook in 1917
William was born in Bulli, N.S.W., served as Sapper 21680 in WWI. Phoebe & William had the Railway Wine Saloon in Wellington St., Perth, The Grosvenor Hotel in Hay Street and the Balmoral Hotel in Victoria Park
1893 - 1956 Mabel Charlotte Clowes
* born in Katanning, W.A.
- Mabel never married. She died 20 June 1956 in Royal Perth Hospital aged 63
1895 - 1897 Avis Clowes
* born in Bunbury, W.A.
- Avis died aged 1 in Bunbury, W.A.
1898 - 1974 William Adolphus Newcombe Clowes
* born in Bunbury, W.A.
- William married Alice Isobel May TRIGWELL in Perth in 1929
Alice was the 13th child of John TRIGWELL & Ellen Emma ECCLESTONE
WILLIAM & ALICE had 2 children:
* 1930 - 2006 Alexander William 'Bill Clowes
- Bill died in Mandurah
* 1934 - Betty Clowes (living)
- Betty married Ronald Howard OLIVER
1904 - 1987 Evelyn 'Pearl' Clowes
* born in Donnybrook, W.A.
- Pearl married Samuel Leslie 'Les' JORDAN in West Perth in 1940
Samuel was a son of William Davie JORDAN & Henrietta Janet JOHNSON
PEARL & SAMUEL had 1 son (living). They had the Grosvenor Hotel in Hay Street, Perth and the Brighton Hotel at Cottesloe
the LIST of SURNAMES connected to this family
GROSVENOR HOTEL 1952, corner Howick & Hill Streets, Perth, W.A.
Originally built in 1886 as a two story private dwelling, designed by Francis Bird, it was granted a hotel licence later that same year to Robert Stroud. The Grosvenor has been in service as an operating pub ever since, and this makes her one of the oldest pubs still operating in Perth today.