Jeffrey Hall & Katrina Marie Thompson TAUPIRI
JEFFREY HALL sometimes Jeffery
was born 17 June 1827 in Somersetshire, England to John Hall (1801-1837) & Eleanor Puddy (1807-1868)
* He was a soldier in the Maori War
* He was a land owner in Cambridge, Waikato
KATRINA MARIE 'Catherine' THOMPSON
was born 2 May 1854 in Copenhagen, Denmark to Peter Thompson (1831-1890) & Katrina Maria 'Catherine' Hansen (1826-1899).
Katrina arrived in Auckland NZ with her parents and 2 sisters, Anna (1857-1929) & Maria (often Mary) (1858-1941) on the Ida Zeigler on 4 Oct 1863 (their name on the passenger list is Thomsen). Immediately on arrival Peter was required to serve in the Maori War and they lived in Pukekohe at that time. They moved to Cambridge, Waikato after the war when Peter was given a war grant of 1 acre in King Street, Cambridge and 50 acres in Hautapu.
* Catherine's mother, Catherine Thompson, was a nurse in the Maori War. She died in Cambridge in Aug 1899 aged 73. Her living children were 3 daughters: Mrs Henry 'Harry' Kerr (Anna) & the widow Mrs William Kerr (Mary) of Cambridge and Mrs Jeffrey Hall (Catherine) of Taupiri
* Jeffrey & Catherine were named in 1939 in a list of Cambridge Pioneers who had arrived, or were born there, in 1875 or earlier.
NOTE on Catherine's sisters who married brothers William & Henry Kerr. William & Henry were born in Howick, Auckland, sons of William Kerr (1809-1874) & Bridget Burns (1818-1874) from Ireland. Their father William enlisted with the 91st Reg. Longford, Ireland in 1827 aged 18 and attested to the 91st Regiment of Foot Argyll Highlanders No 465. He served in Jamaica, St Helena, South Africa and India. He arrived in Auckland as a Royal Fencible in 1847/48. They are buried at Howick
.. 1857 - 1929 Anna Thompson married Henry 'Harry' Kerr (1857-1928) 12 Oct 1879 at St Peter's Church, Cambridge. They adopted a daughter. They were the landlords/mine hosts of the Masonic and Criterion (Central) Hotels, Cambridge, before moving to Howick, Auckland in 1902.
* Anna died 18 Feb 1929 whilst visiting Cambridge. Harry had died 13 months before her. They are buried at Howick.
.. 1858 - 1941 Mary Thompson married William Kerr (1851-1879) on 25 Feb 1878. William dropped dead from his horse, 18 months later, on 31 Aug 1879, from apoplexy. He was 28.
* Mary died 2 Sep 1941, at home on the original land granted to her father in 1864. They are buried Hautapu, Cambridge
* Another brother, Robert Joseph Kerr (1848-1902), married Lucy Ellen Martin (1857-1934) in 1875. He is buried in Matamata & Lucy at Te Awamutu
Jeffrey and Catherine married in Cambridge, Waikato on 5 May 1871. Their witnesses were her father Peter and 2 sisters, Anna & Mary
they had 12 children
apart from Alfred born in Cambridge, all were born in Taupiri
.. 1 ..
1872 - 1934 Alfred Hall
born 29 Feb 1872
married Helene Lavinia Stocken (1872-1934) in Mercury Bay, Auckland 19 Oct 1896
* Helene was born in Whitianga, Coromandel Peninsula, 25 April 1872 to William Davis Stocken (1840-) & Lanna Lee (1844-)
known children of Alfred & Helene
born Auckland, Gordonton, Taupiri
* 1897 - 1959 Eileen Lavinia Hall (+Ward)
* 1898 - 1978 William Ernest Jeffery Hall (+Bell)
* 1900 - 1970 Alice Bertha Hall (+Jessen)
* 1902 - 1977 Violet Elizabeth 'Bessie' Hall (+Coughey)
* 1903 - 1946 Muriel Hall (18 July twin, +Mathers)
* 1903 - 1989 Florence 'Folly' Hall (twin, +Bell)
* 1905 - 1999 Elsie Katrina Hall (+Walsh)
* 1906 - 1956 Arthur Amos Hall (+Nelson)
* 1907 - 1980 Lala May Hall (+Akehurst)
* 1908 - 1953 Charles Harvey Hall
* 1909 - 1987 Alfred Norman Hall
* 1912 - 1995 Harry Davis Hall (+Carter)
* Helene Hall died 27 June 1931 aged 59 at Frankton Junction, Hamilton
Alfred Hall died 27 April 1934 in Hamilton
buried together BB-N-031, Hamilton East cemetery
HEADSTONE In loving memory of our dear parents, Helen (note spelling) Lavinia Hall, died 27th June 1931 aged 59 years. Also of her loved husband, Alfred, died 27th April 1934 aged 62 years. Re-united.
.. 2 ..
1874 - 1949 Jane Hall
born 3 Sep 1874
Jane married George Edward Welch (1873-1937) in Hamilton 1 April 1892
* George was a son of Henry Thomas Welch & Eliza Leaning who had 12 children born in Taupiri and Thames. His sister Sarah Welch became the mother-in-law of Jane's brother .. 7 .. Jeffrey Hall below
children of Jane & George
* born Taupiri, Gordonton & Auckland
* 1892 - 1893 George Clarence Welch (buried Taupiri)
* 1893 - 1917 Henry Clarence 'Tat' Welch (Sergeant 26/940, Messines, Belgium)
* 1895 - 1916 George Carlton Welch (Rifleman 26/939, Somme, France)
* 1896 - 1963 Katherine Eliza Welch (+Charles Cave)
* 1898 - 1967 Estelle Jane Welch (+Edward Cave)
* 1900 - 1960 Charles Leslie Welch (+Smith)
* 1902 - 1903 Mervyn Oscar Welch (buried Taupiri)
* 1905 - 2001 Vera Mabel Welch (+Brown)
* 1907 - 1971 Alan Geoffrey Welch (+Harford)
* 1909 - 1992 Raymond Oscar Welch (+King)
* 1911 - 1990 Daisy Adeline Welch (+Atkinson)
* 1913 - 1968 Albert Ernest Welch (+White)
* 1915 - 1962 Eveline Dorothy Welch (+Windsor +McDonald)
* 1918 - 2001 Eunice Myrtle Welch (+Shaw)
* 1920 - 1946 Alma Innes Welch (+Connolly)
* George Welch died 4 Sep 1937 aged 63 in Glen Innes, Auckland
buried Family Plot 62A, Block 5, Area 3 at Waikaraka
Jane Welch died 16 Oct 1949 aged 75 in Ellerslie, Auckland and buried Waikumete
.. 3 ..
1876 - 1936 Peter Hall
born 2 Sep 1876
married Lillian Emily Bingham Barker (1881-1979) in Taupiri 4 April 1904
* Lillian was born 23 Aug 1881 in Onehunga to Emily Ann Bingham (1861-1918). Her name became Barker when her mother married John Barker in 1887. John Barker was a fireman on a train that derailed between Kaukapakapa & Helensville on 4 Jan 1898 and John was killed. (buried Helensville). Emily then moved to Taupiri, with her 7 children, where she became the Postmistress. Nine months after John's death she gave birth to an 8th child (in Taupiri), Arthur Alfred Bernard Barker (1898-1930)
known children of Peta & Lillian
* 1905 - 1966 John 'Jeffrey' Hall
* 1908 - 1978 Clarence Bingham Hall
Peter Hall died 7 Sep 1936 in Whangaripo, aged 60
buried Plot 247, Block P, Area 4, Hillsborough, Auckland
HEADSTONE In loving memory of Peta beloved husband of Lillian E. Hall died 7 Sept 1936 aged 59 yrs
Lillian lived in Christchurch for 2-3 years until 1966 when she moved to Te Awamutu to live with her son Clarence. Clarence Bingham Hall was a freezer hand, living at 4 Carlsen Flats, Shirley Rd., Papatoetoe, Auckland in WWII enlistment. He died 24 Jan 1978 aged 69. Last address 12 Racecourse Rd., Te Awamutu. He was cremated at Hamilton Park. After his death Lillian (then aged 97) moved to Tamahere Rest Home. She died at Matariki Geriatric Hospital, Te Awamutu on 30 Sep 1979 aged 98 and cremated at Hamilton Park Cemetery
.. 4 ..
1878 - 1951 Frederick Hall
born 24 Oct 1878
Frederick married Ethel May Wilson in Taupiri in 1904
* Ethel was born 1 May 1882 in Te Aroha, 6th of 13 children of William Wilson (1835-1906) & Jane Anne Williams (1839-1911)
known children of Frederick & Ethel
* 1905 - 1968 Marguerite May 'Una' Hall (+Bainbridge)
Frederick Hall died 18 Sep 1951 aged 70 in Ngaruawahia
* Ethel Hall died 10 Feb 1966 aged 84 in Epsom, Auckland
buried together Plot 1AH, Block 1, Row A at Ngaruawahia Old cemetery
HEADSTONE To the sacred memory of Frederick & Ethel May Hall treasured parents of Una. God knew best
.. 5 ..
1880 - 1952 William Hall
born 9 Dec 1880
married Ruby Florence Eliza McLeod (1894-1967) in Waikumete 28 July 1915
* Ruby was born 11 Feb 1896, 1 of 10 children of Donald McLeod (1860-1925) from Isle of Skye & Rosina Took (1863-1940) from Essex. Both buried Hamilton
William Hall died 29 Dec 1952 in Auckland aged 72
* Ruby Hall died 31 Dec 1967 in Auckland aged 71
Death & Burial data not yet verified
.. 6 ..
1883 - 1942 Katrina 'Lena' Hall
born 3 May 1883
married Charles Anderson Svanstrom (1883-1968) 14 Dec 1909 in Auckland
NZ Herald, 21 Dec 1909
HALL-SWANSTROM - On December 14 1909, at Auckland, Charles Anderson to Katrina (Lena), second daughter of the late Jeffery Hall, of Taupiri, Waikato.
* Charles was born in Gottenburg, Sweden 17 Nov 1883. He served in WWI, enlisting as Launchman for Portland Cement Co., living at 8 Wellington St., Auckland, formerly of Charlemont St, Whitiora, Hamilton. He embarked 23 May 1918, his NOK was Katrina in Auckland
* Charles died 7 July 1968 in Auckland aged 86 and his ashes interred at Eucalyptus Glade, Waikumete
Katrina Svanstrom died 17 June 1942 in Grey Lynn, Auckland aged 59
buried Plot VI, Row Vlt, Niche Wall, Waikumete
.. 7 ..
1885 - 1961 Jeffrey Hall
born 8 Nov 1885
married Ruby Ethel Wardlow Littlewood (1887-1961) in Papatoetoe 8 Nov 1911
* Ruby was born 13 May 1887 in Taupiri, the 4th of 12 children of Frederick Walker Littlewood (1858-1914), born Russell, died Taupiri and of Sarah Jane Welch (1865-1943), born Thames, died Taupiri. Sarah was a daughter of Henry Thomas Welch & Eliza Leaning who had 12 children in Taupiri and Thames. Her brother, George Edward Welch married Jeffrey's sister .. 2 .. Jane Hall, above
no known children
SILVER WEDDING ANNIVERSARY, 8 Nov 1936 LITTLEWOOD - HALL. On November 8 1911, at Holy Sepulcher Church, Auckland, by the Rev H. Reaves, Ruby Ethel, second daughter of Mrs S. Littlewood and the late Frederick Littlewood, of Taupiri, Waikato, to Jeffrey Hall, Taupiri. Present address: Trafalgar Street, Royal Oak, Auckland
Jeffrey Hall died 3 March 1961 in Epsom, Auckland aged 75
* Ruby Hall died 6 weeks later, on 18 April 1961, aged 73
buried at Mangere Lawn cemetery
.. 8 ..
1888 - 1973 Ellen Hall
born 5 Sep 1888
married Henry Arthur 'Harry' Tustin (1881-1951) in Auckland in 1912
* Harry was born in Wellington to William Tustin & Susan Newman Buckingham. He became an organ builder in Wellington
* Harry died 4 May 1951 in Wellington aged 70
Ellen Tustin died 1 July 1973 in Titahi Bay, Wellington aged 84
buried Plot 54N, Ch Eng2, Karori cemetery
.. 9 ..
1891 - 1976 Hannah Hall
born 31 July 1891
married Ernest Henry Hawkins (1886-1954) in Auckland in 1919
* Ernest was born in Christchurch
no children found
* Ernest Hawkins died 14 Nov 1954 in Waiuku
Hannah Hawkins died 24 Aug 1976 in Auckland aged 85
their ashes interred at Waikumete
.. 10 ..
1894 - 1894 Charles Hall
born 13 Jan 1894
Charles Hall died 3 March 1894 aged 7 weeks
buried Plot 468N, Block 3, Row G at Old Ngaruawahia cemetery
.. 11 ..
1895 - 1973 Caroline 'Carrie' Hall
born 6 July 1895
married Frederick George McSherry (1893-1953) in Hamilton in 1915
* Frederick was born in Hamilton to Frederick William McSherry (1832-1899) of Ireland & Jessie Elizabeth Edmonds (1874-1964)
1 child found
* 1917 - 1991 Kathleen Ruth McSherry
* Frederick McSherry died 25 March 1953 in Auckland aged 60
Caroline McSherry died 31 Dec 1973 in Auckland aged 78
both buried Eucalyptus Glade, Waikumete
.. 12 ..
1898 - 1917 Charles 'Charlie' Hall
born 27 Feb 1898
served as Lance Sergeant 26/1193, embarking as Private with the 4th Battalion, A Company, NZ Rifles Brigade for the Western Front
Charles Hall died of his wounds, 19 Oct 1917 in Passchendaele, France
NZ Herald, 6 Nov 1917
HALL - On October 29, died of wounds in France, Sergeatn C. Hall, youngest son of Mrs C. Hall and the Late Jeffery Hall, Charlesmount Street, Hamilton (late of Taupiri). Greater love hath no man.
buried Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Poperinge, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
memorial Auckland. Mentioned on parents headstone, see below
NOTE Charles was a nephew of George and Henry 'Tat' Welch who were also killed in the war. See .. 2 .. sister Jane Hall
JEFFREY Hall died in Taupiri 4 Sep 1907 aged 80
NZ Herald, 9 Sep 1907
TAUPIRI On Wednesday, the 4th inst., Mr Jeffrey Hall, an old and respected resident of the place, passed away. The deceased had resided in Taupiri for over 30 years. He leaves a wife and large family. Mr Hall had attained the ripe age of 81 years.
* The Waikato estate of Jeffrey Hall was certified for stamp duty as one of the largest deceased persons estate, Auckland regions, at the time of July 1908, valued at £599 (Jan 2020 equivalent of $103,908.00)
CATHERINE Hall died in Auckland 27 June 1932 aged 78
Auckland Star, 27 June 1932
HALL On June 27 1932, at the residence of her daughter, 116 Crummer Road, Grey Lynn, Catherine, beloved wife of the late Jeffery Hall, late of Taupiri; aged 78 years. Funeral will leave Crummer Road at 10 a.m. to-morrow (Tuesday), for service Anglican Church, Taupiri, at 1 p.m. Interment after at Taupiri Cemetery.
OBITUARY of Catherine Hall .. Another link with the early days of this country was severed when Mrs Catherine Hall died on June 27 at the age of 78 years. Born in Copenhagen, Denmark, Mrs Hall was a daughter of Mr peter Thompson, one of the earliest settlers at Cambridge. She came to New Zealand in the sailing ship Ida Zeigler about 70 years ago and settled with her family in the Waikato. In 1872 Miss Thompson, as she then was, married Mr Jeffrey Hall and lived for 40 years at Taupiri, where, at the time of her first visit, there was only one other family. Mrs Hall is survived by 10 children, 36 grandchildren and 33 great-grandchildren. Her sister, Mrs W. Kerr, lives at Cambridge.
they are buried together Plot 26, Row A at Taupiri Lawn cemetery
HEADSTONE In loving memory of Jeffrey Hall, died at Taupiri Sept 4th 1907, aged 81 years also his wife, Catherine Hall, died at Auckland June 27th 1932, aged 78 years. At rest.
* Also a footstone memorial to son Charles
Serg. C. Hall, N.Z.R.B. died of wounds Passchendaele, October 19th 1917, aged 19 years Greater Love Hath No Man.
(as the name Jeffery Hall runs through most of the above families, you will have to work out which 'Jeff' is being referred to in the following timeline)
CAMBRIDGE, 29 Dec 1869
Impounded at the Public Pound, Cambridge, December 19, 1869, by Jeffery Hall, for damages ten shillings:- A Bay Mare, branded W on rear shoulder; not shod. If not claimed within eleven days from the date of this notice, application will be made to a Justice of the Peace for an order for the sale of the above named mare. Andrew Robinson, Poundkeeper, Cambridge
TAUPIRI NEWS, 9 June 1884
... Mr Lovell's new hotel near the railway station is now completed and yesterday the necessary permission for the removal of the license from the old house to the new one, was granted by the Licensing Commissioners. The new house is a large and handsome two-storied building 60 feet x 36 feet, containing seventeen rooms, with ample conveniences for the accommodation and comfort of the travelling public
... A piece of newly-formed main road below the gorge on the river is in a dangerous condition and the attention of the County Council needs drawing to it. Only last week a son of Mr Jeffery Hall, while passing along with a dray and pair of horses, had a narrow escape. Dray, horses and boy, all went over the side into the river and but that assistance happened to be close at hand, a serious accident must have occurred. As it was, it was not without the greatest difficulty that the horses and dray were saved.
Waikato Times, 18 Oct 1890
GORSE - In accordance with the resolution respecting the gorse passed at the last Council meeting, the Legal and Finance Committee, accompanied by the Town Clerk and Cr. Bach, made, on the 26th September a tour of inspection of the borough and have to report thereon as follows:- They have found gorse growing in the streets alongside the following properties: T. H. Brown, R. Kirkwood, A. Back (occupier), James Finnerty, Judge Regan, D. B. Cruickshank, A. Clemens, Jeffrey Hall and Wm. Laird (owners)
CAMBRIDGE, Aug 1899
DEATH of Catherine Thompson (Catherine's mother)
Cambridge has lost an old and respected inhabitant in the person of Mrs Catherine Thompson, who passed peacefully away early on Thursday morning. Deceased and her husband, the late Peter Thompson, came to the colonies no less than 37 years ago, in which days the early settlers suffered many hardships and had to toil unceasingly. Mrs Thompson was 73 years of age and she leaves three daughters, namely - Mrs Henry Kerr, Mrs Mary Kerr, both of Cambridge and Mrs Jeffrey Hall of Taupiri. The funeral tool place yesterday afternoon after the arrival of the train and it was largely attended by sorrowing friends.
IN MEMORIAM, 4 Sep 1912
HALL - In loving memory of my dear husband, Jeffrey Hall, who fell asleep on September 4, 1907, at Taupiri
Do not ask me if we miss him
There is such a vacant place.
Can we e'er forget his footsteps,
And his dear familiar face?
Inserted by his loving wife and youngest son and daughter, C. Hall, Carrie and Charlie, Hamilton
GORDONTON SOCIAL, 19 June 1913
A social and dance was held in the Gordonton Hall last night in aid of the Hamilton Rugby Union. There was a good attendance, the floor being very good and even the most fastidious expressed themselves pleased with the arrangements. The dance was kept up till about 2.30 a.m. Mr Jeff Hall made an efficient M.C., whilst his brother, Mr W. Hall and Mr Geo. Welsh, assisted with the music. There were about 70 couples present.
EARLY SETTLERS, 6 Oct 1913
Letter To The Editor, New Zealand Herald
Sir, - re the article on the arrival of early settlers 50 years ago (per ship Ida Ziegler), published on Saturday, there are three other than those mentioned by you, who are still in the Auckland Province, being the then Misses Catherine, Anna and Maria Thomsen, but now respectively, Mrs Jeffery Hall, widow, of Hamilton, Mrs Hy. Kerr, of Cambridge and Mrs Wm. Kerr, widow, also of Cambridge. Mrs Hall spent 40 years of the 50 in Taupiri and her sister married two brothers. Whilst writing this, Mrs Hall is talking to me and she drew my attention to the article, so I decided to drop you a line, as it might be of interest to you. J.O.D. (or J.C.D.)
Waikato Times, 19 Oct 1916
CONCERT A very successful concert was held in the Taupiri Hall on Friday by the Gordonton Maori Troupe, assisted by several Taupiri natives doing various hakas, poi dances, songs and recitations were excellently given, the hakas and poi dances being exceptionally good and the costumes were quite in keeping with the items. Great credit is due to our Maori friends and to Mr Jeff Hall, of Gordonton, who acted as stage-manager. The hall was crowded almost to suffocation and money collected is to be divided between the Taupiri branch of the Women's Patriotic League and the Maori Soldiers' Fund.
DenRII whose grandfather was Peter Hall child .. 3 .. wrote .. I am in possession of a silver, tilting kettle over a burner, with the inscription "Presented to Mrs J. Hall by the residents of Taupiri 29th August 1911". This came to me through Peter's wife Lillian. I am puzzled as to who Mrs J. Hall is and the circumstances of the presentation.
* This was presented to Katrina Marie Hall (nee Thompson/Thomsen) when she left Taupiri in 1911 to move to New Lynn to live with her daughter.