residents of 1800s - CAMBRIDGE New Zealand INNES - JONES
the following short biographies were taken from the site:
I highly recommend a visit to their excellent site which I have featured a number of times before.
The following categories are available at their link above:
* About Us
* Site Map
* Decades - 1900s
* Heritage Walks
* Historic Buildings
* Rate Payers
* School Registers
* 1913 Strike
Researched and written by ERIS PARKER
A surnames - B surnames - C surnames - D surnames
E surnames - F surnames - G surnames - H surnames
I-J surnames - K surnames - L surnames - M surnames
Mc surnames - N surnames - O surnames - P surnames
Q/R surnames - S surnames - T surnames - V/W/Y surnames
INNES, Charles Robert
Charles was born about 1866 and a waggoner when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 11 January 1887.
ISHERWOOD James Henry Alfred Lionel Montague
'Leo' was born 24 May 1877, the son of Montague Isherwood and Evelyn Tracey de Montague, in Hobart Australia.
He was manager of Tom Wells' ironmongery department prior to his wedding and was given a carved flower stand by fellow employees.
He married widow Evelyn 'Effie' Mary Cooke nee Chambers on Sunday 24 July 1899 in St Andrews Anglican Church, Cambridge. (She had two children - Norman Douglas Cooke born 26 September 1894 who died 8 May 1915 on Gallipoli, and Geoffrey Cooke born 1895.) As Madame Isherwood Effie taught the children of Cambridge how to sing and dance. Leo and Effie had four more children.
In the 1902 Electoral Roll Leo's occupation was Photographer. Also in 1902 he became a member of the Duke of Cambridge Lodge and called on the sickness fund in December 1903 getting ?1 10s for 9 days illness.
He was actively involved with the tennis club being president from 1907 till 1912. Leo also played hockey and was a member of the Chamber of Commerce. In 1911 he joined the golf club but his main sporting interests were still tennis and hockey. In 1912 both Leo and Effie became members of the NZ Political Reform League - Leo being elected Secretary / Treasurer the next year.
On 21 January 1913 Leo applied for a Prohibition Order on himself. 8 December 1914 Effie took Lionel to Court failing to provide adequate maintanence and persistant cruelty to herself and children. She asked for ?2 a week. On 15 December 1914 - Leo was again granted a Prohibition Order.
In January 1915 his photographic establishment in Duke Street was burnt to the ground. March 1918 he sold his photographic business to Miss Ivy Gordon.
Lionel died while in custody in the Cambridge lock up on 30 October 1918.
Harry was born 1 July 1872 and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 15 November 1898 aged 25 years his occupation a Barber. He appears in the Waikato Advocate in October 1895 playing cricket.
Bill was born about 1856 and a barman when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 12 September 1882. His wife was Jane.
At the end of September 1884 while in Waitoa, Bill broke his leg and received ?6 5/8d over 44 days from the sickness fund.
Alfred was born 28 February 1880 and when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 20 August 1901, his occupation was a carpenter. He called on his sickness benefit, ?1 13s 4d, in September 1902 when he sprained his ankle and was laid up for 10 days.
In December 1904 he married Lucy May Lydia (the daughter of John and Jane Hjorth) and they had two children.
Charles was born in Broad Maston, Gloucestershire, England in 1852. He was a wheelwright by trade and worked for several years in Birmingham.
On 28 September 1875 he married Rebecca, the daughter of S Loscley in Bedford, England. They had five sons:
Albert Charles = Martha Alice Birkett
Percy John = 1) Mabel Kate Birkett and 2) Kate Marion Klaus
William = Amelia Florice Bearsley
and five daughters:
Mary Elizabeth = Fred Mack
Grace = Geo Berry
Edith = Edwin Bailey
Lillian Anne = Geo Foster.
They came to New Zealand on the ship 'Avona' in 1881 and settled in Cambridge West (Leamington) where Charles developed his contracting business into a large prosperous concern. The Jarrett brothers - Charles and John - ran traction engines and threshing machines. They also had grain crushers, chaff cutters and circular saws. Also in the 1880s Charles had a cider making machine which he worked from a 4hp engine. He contracted to supply cider to different parts of the Waikato.
Charles served for some time on the Cambridge West School committee and was chairman of the Town Board. He was a Freemason and a member of the Alpha Lodge.
Rebecca died 14 November 1926 and Charles September 1940.
JARRETT, John Thomas
John was born at Longmarston, Gloustershire about 1863 - the son of Thomas and Mary Ann. He arrived in New Zealand in 1878 on the ship 'Marvel' and joined his sister Mrs Ann Keeley. In business with his brother Charles as Jarrett Brothers, they ran two traction engines and threshing machines in the district for 20 years. John later operated a taxi service when the fare from Cambridge to Cambridge West was 1 shilling and 6 pence.
He was not married and died 24 March 1933 aged 70 years.
Tom was born about 1821 in Mickleton, Gloucestershire, England. His father was Richard, his mother Ann. Tom married Mary Ann Dyd(l)e and their children were - John Thomas born c1863; Charles born c1852; Ann born 1 May 1845, married James Keeley 1870 then George Hall 1924 and died 1932. A daughter married E Malins and remained in England. Louisa Rebecca born c1856 married Samuel Fletcher and died 5 September 1895.
Thomas and Mary Ann followed their son John and daughter Ann Keeley to New Zealand in 1880. Thomas died 9 March 1894 and Mary Ann 7 October 1907 and they are both buried in the Leamington Cemetery.
James was born in Glasgow Scotland about 1841 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 23 September 1863 in Dunedin. His Regiment Number was Private 265 and occupation a ropemaker. On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 James paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres - totalling eight shillings and sixpence. He still had possession of his town acre in Cambridge East in the 20th century.
JEFFRIES, Henry Percy
Harry was born 11 January 1883 (son of Henry and Martha) and a clerk when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 16 April 1901. He called on his sickness fund in March 1902 and again in June 1904. He was Noble Grand in 1903.
He managed Souter & Co's Te Awamutu branch and left for Dunedin in May 1905.
JOHNSTON(E), Andrew Simpson
Andrew was born in Ellon Scotland about 1836 and was a clerk.
He enrolled in the 3rd Waikato Militia, Regiment Number Private 164 on 23 September 1863 at Dunedin. He was promoted to Hospital Sergeant and in 1866 he joined the Alpha Waikato Lodge, No.449, I.C.
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 Andrew paid 2 pence an acre on 101 acres - totalling sixteen shillings and ten pence. He was still in the district 1875-76 according to the Wises Directory.
JONES, Alexander Owen
Alex was born 6 April 1855 in Remuera and was brought up to country life. He married in Ararimu in 1877 to Miss Brisbane and they had four daughters and one son. Mrs Jones died in 1887. Alex came to the Waikato in 1889. He moved to 'Te Kainga' at Pukerimu and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 21 June 1892 aged 36 years, a widower, occupation a farmer. He married Miss Jessie Hughes in August 1893 and they had three sons.
Davy was born about 1835 in New South Wales, Australia and was a mariner when he enlisted in the 3rd Regiment of the Waikato Militia at Otahuhu, 25 January 1864.
He served with the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers from 1872 to 1874 and was with Timothy Sullivan when attacked by Maori at Roto-o-rangi.
Ed was born about 1855 and became an original member of the Cambridge & Waikato Reed Band in May 1877. He was employed as a butcher by John Arnold and then in 1884 was a gardener at Roto-o-Rangi.
Tom was born about 1869 and a carter when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 3 May 1887.
Tim was born about 1866 and a ploughman when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 8 September 1885.
JONES, Walter William
Walter was born about 1837 in Denbighshire. He enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia as Private 1039 on 8 December 1863 in Dunedin, his occupation was a surgeon.
He was aged 30 years and a surgeon when he was one of the first to join the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 28 May 1867.
His military acre section 463 was still in his name at the beginning of the 20th century.