residents of 1800s - CAMBRIDGE New Zealand KEELEY - KRIPPNER
the following short biographies were taken from the site:
I highly recommend a visit to their excellent site which I have featured a number of times before.
The following categories are available at their link above:
* About Us
* Site Map
* Decades - 1900s
* Heritage Walks
* Historic Buildings
* Rate Payers
* School Registers
* 1913 Strike
Researched and written by ERIS PARKER
A surnames - B surnames - C surnames - D surnames
E surnames - F surnames - G surnames - H surnames
I-J surnames - K surnames - L surnames - M surnames
Mc surnames - N surnames - O surnames - P surnames
Q/R surnames - S surnames - T surnames - V/W/Y surnames
KEELEY, Charles William
Charles was born 22 October 1871, son of James and Ann, and married Eleanor Mary Forrest. Charles joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 5 July 1892 aged 20 years, his occupation a labourer. They later farmed in Taotaoroa, Charles serving on the Taotaoroa and Karapiro School committees. They sold their farm to J R S Richardson in 1913 and then lived in Cambridge. Charles died 22 July 1914 aged 44 years, Eleanor 9 November 1958 aged 87 years and they are both buried in the Cambridge Cemetery.
Giles was born about 1854 (son of Joseph and Ann), had been trained in farming in England and served for several years as a guard on the Great Western Railway in England. After coming to New Zealand he married Elizabeth Perkins in May 1884. She was the daughter of Mr and Mrs J Perkins of Tenby, Wales and had arrived in New Zealand on the 'Burnabader' in 1876.
Giles was a farmer and also took on road contracting work.
On 21 October 1898 farms in the Karapiro district were opened for selection and Giles and Elizabeth were balloted two sections. As their sections were adjacent they built their house on the boundary to fulfil the Lease in Perpetuity agreement of living on their sections. They farmed there until their deaths - Giles on 18 July 1913 and Elizabeth on 6 April 1925.
They had one son John Perkins Keeley who married Esther Moore on 14 April 1926 and they in turn had a daughter Nancy and a son Barry.
James (son of Joseph and Elizabeth and baptised 1 May 1845) married in Longmarston, Gloucestershire to Ann Jarrett on 19 November 1870. They arrived in New Zealand on the 'Alumbagh' in 1875, with their children Charles, Annie and James  jnr.
They had seven more children (James , Emma, Leslie Thomas, Louie, Joseph, Mary Elizabeth and Mabel) and they established Keeleys' Nursery.
It is said that he was the first to walk over the Victoria Bridge when it opened on the 21 December 1907.
James died 19 December 1922 and is buried in Leamington cemetery. Ann - known far and near as a nurse of exceptional ability - married for a second time to George Hall in March 1924. She died in Hamilton, 19 April 1932.
Joseph was baptised in Ilmington, Warwickshire on 2 June 1824 and married Elizabeth Johnson at Ilmington on 14 May 1844. (Elizabeth was baptised also at Ilmington on 5 June 1821.)
Joseph, Elizabeth and six of their children left London on 9 May 1875 on the 'Alumbagh' and 100 days later arrived in Auckland, New Zealand on 17 August 1875. They then settled in Cambridge West (now Leamington).
Joseph's occupation was a gardener and by 1879 he had the freehold of section 325 in Cambridge West with a house. He died on 12 February 1904 aged 80 and Elizabeth died 23 July 1914 aged 93.
Daughter Kezia was born about 1849. She was a dressmaker in Cambridge when she married in April 1877 to Henry Newcombe. When Kezia died c1896 they had 7 children and she is buried in the Leamington cemetery.
Daughter Elizabeth was born about 1859 and married in New Zealand in May 1879 to Robert Montgomery. Robert died of tetanus on the 17 August 1880 leaving Elizabeth with one son Joseph. She was a dressmaker according to the Electoral Roll and died 23 November 1929 aged 71.
Son William 'Bill' was born about 1863 and married in Cambridge to Elizabeth Ann England on 30 March 1899. They had a daughter Blanche and a son Harold. Bill was engaged in contracting work and at one time drove the stage coach between Cambridge and Rotorua. They retired to Hamilton and Bill died 28 April 1917 aged 54, and Elizabeth in April 1940.
Son Frederick, born 6 November 1865, married in New Zealand in April 1893 to Blanche Campbell. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 29 August 1893 aged 28 years. He learnt the saddlery trade and enlisting with the Main Body in WW1 served until the armistice in 1918. Their only son William Frederick enlisted in October 1917 and was killed on 1 October 1918. Fred (snr) died at Matangi, 4 July 1950 and is buried at Leamington Cemetery.
Daughter Emma was born 9 February 1855 and joined the family in New Zealand in 1882 arriving on the 'Roman Empire'. She married in Cambridge West to Joseph Chambers on 18 January 1883 and died in 1939.
KELLY Henry Alfred
Born 1 July 1884 the son of Thomas and Elizabeth nee Crawford. He was a labourer when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 31 March 1903. He took advantage of his sickness benefit at the end of December 1903 and again in September 1904 when he injured hs finger.
Henry married Elsie Hilda Hewson and they farmed in the Fencourt settlement until their lease expired in 1918. Elsie died June 1923 aged 34 years. They had no children.
Thomas Keohan was born about 1845 in Waterford. He enlisted as a substitute soldier in the 3rd Waikato Militia - Private 1661 - on 22 May 1865 in Cambridge, his occupation a shoemaker.
Thomas Kerhean was aged 19 years and a shoemaker when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 28 May 1867.
An item in the Waikato Independent on 21 December 1905 reads ? "Mr T Keohan, who was a member of the 3rd Waikato Regiment, has called at our office and requested us to bring under the notice of those whom it may concern, the fact that the grave of Dugald Stuart E McColl, who was an ensign in the regiment, has been allowed to fall into disrepair. It is interesting to note that the slab which denoted the spot where McColl is buried was carved by Colonel S Newall, who is now secretary to the Commercial Travellers Association, Wellington".
Tom died at Waikino in October 1907.
Pat was born in Ireland about 1840 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 29 September 1863 in Dunedin. His Regiment Number was Private 222 and occupation a butcher.
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 Pat paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres - totalling eight shillings and sixpence. Rates due in 1872 amounted to 12/6d for 50 acres.
Henry was born in Howick and left school aged 13 years. He went in for agricultural work and came to Cambridge in 1874 to work for McLean & Co at Fen Court. He then drove coaches for W K Carter between Hamilton, Cambridge and Rotorua. On 16 May 1877 Henry was at the first meeting of the Cambridge & Waikato Reed Band. On 28 October 1879 he was 23 years old and a coachman when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge. He had married Anna Thompson in August the same year.
(His brother William married Anna's sister, Mary Thompson also in 1877. William died 1879.)
About 1890 Harry and Anna became the proprietors of the Masonic Hotel then in 1894 they took over the 'Criterion' (Central) Hotel. At this time Harry served on the Cambridge Borough Council, the Hospital Board, was on the Library Committee and president of the Cricket Club.
They retired in 1899 and left the district for Auckland about 1902. Henry died 1928 and Anna a year later.
KERR, Robert J
Robert was 27 years old when he married Lucy Martin in May 1875. About a year later their daughter Florence was born in Cambridge.
Robert was a carpenter when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 14 October 1879. He died 4 October 1902 and is buried at the Cambridge Cemetery, Hautapu.
Lucy remained the owner/occupier of their Hamilton Road property until 1912.
John was born in Ayrshire Scotland about 1838 and arrived in New Zealand on the 'Mermaid' in 1860. He enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia in Cambridge as a Private, substitute soldier and became the Pay Sergeant. He joined the Alpha Waikato Lodge, No.449, I.C., and was a Freemason in Cambridge in 1866 where he built the first store and a hotel.
He married in 28 March 1867 to Mary Graham in Auckland and they had three daughters. John soon saw the potential of Duke Street and cut his acre section up for shops. On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 he paid 2 pence an acre on 200 acres ? totalling ?1 13/4d and it wasn't long before he had consolidated absentee soldiers' 50 acre grants, selling 750 acres to Taylor in 1875. The family went to live in Auckland.
Robert was born in Ayrshire about 1839 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia on 30 December 1865 in Cambridge as a substitute soldier. His Regiment Number was Private 1677 and occupation a grocer. He joined his brother John in his store and the Alpha Hotel. When he joined the Alpha Waikato Lodge, No.449, I.C. and Duke of Cambridge Lodge in 1867 his occupation was a grocer.
The Alpha Hotel in Alpha Street was sold to James Hally and Robert then ran the Duke of Cambridge Hotel in Duke Street.
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 Robert paid 2 pence an acre on 24 acres - totalling four shillings.
On 15 September 1879 he married Jessie Hally and they had two children, Helen was born 8 September 1880 and a son born 7 July 1882. They built a house known as 'The Sanatorium' and later 'Wainoni' Boarding House. (Burnt down 1923).
For ten years Robert was a member of the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers as a Sub Lieutenant. He was also a member of the Cambridge North Highway Board and in 1880 on the first Cambridge Domain Board.
Charles was born 27 July 1873, the son of Samuel and Sarah nee Wooten. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 28 March 1893 aged 18 years and later his wife was entered as Anne. (Mary Ann Moisley, married May 1899.) Charles called on the Lodge's sickness fund in June 1897 for a hand injury and again in June 1900 - again for a hand injury. On the 1899 electoral roll he is listed as a ploughman.
KITE, James Walter
James was born 26 August 1880 the son of Samuel and Sarah nee Wooten, and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 21 February 1899 aged 18 years. He was Noble Grand in 1907 and 1908. In 1902 he sailed with the 10th Contingent, Private 8579, to the South Africa War.
On his return he married Winifred Mary Norris (daughter of George and Susanna nee Kingdon) 16 September 1903. Winifred had been born at Hautapu in 19 December 1881 and on leaving school helped her Aunt Sarah Garland with her large family.
They farmed at Hautapu before buying a farm at Kaipaki and they raised six children. Charles did not have good health and died 22 October 1934. Winifred died 28 April 1974 aged 92 years. They are both buried at Pukerimu cemetery.
KITE, John Harvey
John was a twin, born 27 September 1877. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 21 April 1896 aged 18 years. He was a labourer on W G Park's Puahue Estate and called on the Lodge's sickness fund in 1902 for 14 days with lumbago. He later worked in Ohaupo and remained a bachelor. John died April 1956.
Tom was born 26 December 1865 the son of Samuel Kite and Sarah nee Wooten. He was a storeman when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 27 January 1885 and his wife was Emma Mahala nee Peek. He was Noble Grand in 1888 and 1897 and elected Captain of the newly formed Cambridge Volunteer Fire Brigade in 1904.
KITE, William Henry
William was born 27 November 1876 the son of Samuel and Sarah nee Wooton. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 12 January 1897 aged 20 years and his occupation was a labourer. In January 1903 he married Emma Bell.
Martin was born on 23 September 1817 in Mantau, Bohemia, the son of Johann & Anna. He later joined the Austrian Army and married Emily Longdill - their children were Fritz, Herman, Rudolph, Anna Maria and Agnes.
They came to New Zealand on the 'Lord Burleigh' in 1860 and took up land at Orewa, 25 miles north of Auckland.
Martin was offered a commission in the 3rd Waikato Militia, which he joined on 17 October 1863. He was asked to form a Company out of his newly arrived countrymen at Puhoi so he recruited all the single men and five of the married men. Officers commanding other Companies of the Waikato Militia were directed to transfer all Germans serving in their Corps to Captain Krippner's Company. Also included were men of other nationalities who spoke German. His force remained in the Albert Barracks in Auckland until 29 October 1863 when the company, now numbering 48, marched to the Otahuhu Barracks.
Martin's one acre section 153 was in Cambridge West (Leamington) and his farm sections were in Ohaupo.
He left Ohaupo in 1866 never having lived on his land.
He died 1 February 1894 and is buried at Warkworth.