residents of 1800s - CAMBRIDGE New Zealand McCABE - McVEAGH
the following short biographies were taken from the site:
I highly recommend a visit to their excellent site which I have featured a number of times before.
The following categories are available at their link above:
* About Us
* Site Map
* Decades - 1900s
* Heritage Walks
* Historic Buildings
* Rate Payers
* School Registers
* 1913 Strike
Researched and written by ERIS PARKER
A surnames - B surnames - C surnames - D surnames
E surnames - F surnames - G surnames - H surnames
I-J surnames - K surnames - L surnames - M surnames
Mc surnames - N surnames - O surnames - P surnames
Q/R surnames - S surnames - T surnames - V/W/Y surnames
McCABE, Charles Martin
Charles was born in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire about 1831.
In Nelson he married Sarah Ann Chamberlain in 1859 then enlisted in the 3rd Regiment of the Waikato Militia on 17 November 1863. He received his one acre section in Cambridge East and 50 acre farm at Pukerimu.
On 21 May 1873 he enrolled in the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers and served for six years.
In 1882 Sarah, a widow still with children at school, married Walter Bartlett.
George was born in Rothmania Dublin Ireland about 1831 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 24 October 1863 in Hobarton Australia. His Regiment Number was Corporal 691 and occupation a labourer.
He was an original member of the Duke of Cambridge Lodge and his wife's name was Ellen. She died 11 November 1896 and is buried in the Cambridge cemetery at Hautapu.
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 George paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres - totalling eight shillings and sixpence.
John was the son of William McCann, born in Tasmania about 1863, who came to Cambridge about a year later.
He was only 15 years old when he joined the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers and left in 1882 after he broke his leg.
John was a butcher when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 1 July 1884.
In the Waikato Times of 17 January 1885 it said, ?A walking match of 20 miles, for ?20 a side, came off in the Government paddock, Cambridge on Tuesday last. The peds were Messrs J McCann and Murdoch Munro. J McCann won easily.?
John became a butcher and horse dealer and later farmed at Fencourt and Maungatautari until retiring to Wilson Street about 1930.
He married Annie Kemp in 1891 and they had four children - Percy, Alan, Hilda and Aileen. John died in 1937 and Ann in 1948.
MacCOLL, Charles Edward S
Ensign C E S MacColl enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 9 January 1864. On the 28 March 1865 Stewart MacColl, Sergeant in the 3rd Waikato Militia, was a witness at the first marriage in Cambridge of Lambert William Loveday and Adelaide Vogel.
The Cambridge Correspondent reported in the New Zealand Herald of 15 August 1866 ? "I regret to report the death of Ensign MacColl of the 3rd Waikato Militia Regiment who expired on the 6th instant, after a lingering illness. He had long been in a delicate state of health, the cause of his death being pulmonary consumption. He was buried today in the cemetery on the east bank of the river with military honours, his remains being followed to the grave by a large number of men of the regiment, both effective and non effective, among whom I believe he was deservedly popular.
"While mentioning the cemetery, I cannot help stating that it was universally remarked that it was high time the authorities should take some steps to have a portion at least cleared and fenced, as in the present neglected state it is little short of disgraceful."
The original wooden 'headstone' was carved by Sergeant Stuart Newall and the current 'headstone' is kept up by members of the Alpha Lodge.
McDERMOTT, Martin Philip
Martin was born about 1865 and an ironmonger when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 29 May 1888. He married Jane Eliza McCrea in May 1891 and they had three sons.
Martin worked for Thos Wells for 34 years and later for Speight, Pearce, Nicoll & Davys as their accountant. He played cricket, croquet, tennis and bowls. He was organist for St Andrews Anglican Church and played the piano at concerts and drama productions. He liked gardening and was secretary for the Rose Show, Bowls, School Committee, Orchestral Society and the Chrysanthemum Show.
Martin died 15 December 1926 and Jane married for a second time to John Francis.
Colin lived in Kihikihi and was a labourer aged 23 years when he enrolled in the 3rd Company of the Waikato Mounted Rifles on 27 November 1899. He was Private No.461 and sailed to South Africa War with the 2nd Contingent. Colin died 1963.
His brother Norman had also joined the 3rd Company of the Waikato Mounted Rifles in Cambridge on 21 December 1898. He was a labourer aged 25 years. He had also enlisted for the South Africa War as Corporal No.11 and sailed with the 1st Contingent.
MacFARLANE, Jonothan Sangster
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 he paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres - totalling eight shillings and sixpence.
John Russell McFarland was born 16 March 1875, the son of William and Isabella nee Russell. John joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 20 August 1901. His wife was Ada Mabel nee Cross and they had two sons and three daughters. John died at Otahuhu on 6 March 1938.
John was born in Fontingall, Perthshire, Scotland in 1832 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 22 October 1863 in Auckland. His Regiment Number was Private 560 and occupation a farmer.
John then enlisted in the Armed Constabulary - Number 658 - on 21 December 1868 and was discharged 8 December 1870.
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 he paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres - totalling eight shillings and sixpence. In an 1872 edition of the Waikato Times John's rates were due - 100 acres ?1 5/-
Pat was born about 1857 and was a labourer when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 29 January 1884.
Thos was born about 1864 and a labourer when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 19 June 1883. In June 1884 he had a sore throat for 14 days and received ?2 from the sickness fund.
McKEARNEY, James ?Sampson'
James was the son of John and Ann, born about 1862 in Howick, and came to Cambridge with his parents in 1864. James recalled that he came to Cambridge at the age of two and (in an interview in 1936) could remember the family's arrival in Cambridge by boat, and landing at a small jetty. His father was already established in the Cambridge military camp at the time, and had been granted an acre of land. He had also been granted 50 acres of swamp at Rangiriri, which he sold almost immediately for ?12. The family had not been in Cambridge many years when the militia disbanded and was only called together subsequently for occasional practices. There was plenty of work offering in the settlement in those days, but wages seldom exceeded four or five shillings a day and men were never certain that their wages would be paid.
It was necessary for the family to grow their own vegetables and also wheat, which they flailed, crushed into meal, and subsequently made into bread. Two or three cows were kept and a few pigs, the latter being fed largely on peaches from trees planted by the Maori and growing wild.
James recalled the camp on the flat below the Karapiro Bridge, the guards stationed along the river-banks and sentries posted at camp every night to guard against a sudden attack by the Maori. He did not witness any clashes with the Maori but threats that they were about to attack were frequent. On those occasions settlers were called into the barracks until such time as the scare ceased.
In the days of the first camp the greater part of what is now the business area, was swamp overgrown with cutty grass and raupo. There were no bridges on the river and transport was entirely dependent on punts to gain a crossing. Mr Maxwell kept the first punt.
A hospital, school and commissariat were the main public buildings of the settlement in those days. The school-master was selected from the militia and was more concerned with enforcing discipline than imparting education.
James was five or six when the Armed Constabulary was set up, and two of his elder brothers joined up. This was a full time job but carried very little pay.
As James grew up he was recognised as one of the strongest youths in the town and was nicknamed 'Sampson'. He worked on the Fen Court Estate and later joined the Public Works as road foreman. He was a labourer when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 8 May 1883, and married Susan Hooey 15 February 1889. They had six children and lived on James' father's 3rd Waikato Militia grant in Hall Street.
Susan wrote a story of her younger life called "Just Me" in 1938.
James died 10 June 1945 and Susan 29 August 1950.
John was born in St Katerines Ireland about 1825 and enlisted in the 58th Regiment as a servant. He left Deptford in the 'Maitland' and landed in Sydney, Australia on 22 January 1844. He arrived in Auckland a year later. He married Ann in 1848 and they had thirteen children.
He enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, 19 September 1863 in Auckland. His Regiment Number was Private 468 and occupation a painter.
In 1873 John wrote to the Education Department saying he was the poorest man in the district and had 12 in his family and seven were dependant on his meagre wages. He could not possibly pay the Education Rates.
He died in October 1875.
McKEARNEY, Peter, William and John
Peter and William McKearney were both aged 21 years and both labourers when they joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge in 1872.
Peter was a member of the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers from 1872 to 1874, a member of the Cambridge & Waikato Reed Band in 1878 and married Mary Nesbitt in 1882.
William was a Sergeant in the Armed Constabulary when he married Eliza Lee in April 1883. He signed on for a fresh term with the Armed Constabulary in August 1883.
Another brother, John, also became a member of the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers and served from 1878 to 1879. He married Bridget Mackey at the Registrar's Office in Hamilton in February 1883.
McKECHNIE, Clynick Graham
Clynick was born 13 February 1882, the son of William of Dennistoun, Glasgow. When he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 13 August 1907, he was a coach painter in Lake Street. In December he married Hazel Pearl the eldest daughter of Fred and Amelia Popple.
Donald was born in Isle of Skye, Scotland about 1825. He arrived in Australia in 1852 and he tried his luck at the Ballarat goldfields. He moved to Tasmania where he undertook stock droving. He married Catherine McGillavray in Launceston and they had three sons John, Donald and Hugh.
Donald Snr enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia, October 1863 in Launceston. His Regiment Number was Private 427 and occupation a clerk.
From the book 'For Glory and a Farm' by Frank Glen it says, "He helped build the military town of Cambridge, his family travelling from Hobart to join him in December 1864. Although Donald was not awarded a medal, probably because he was not under fire, he did get his fifty acres and town section. He became a hardworking farmer and contractor, providing food under contract for the Armed Constabulary. He also undertook road building under contract. His son John enlisted for regular service in the Armed Constabulary and did garrison duty until a shooting accident caused his discharge."
John died unmarried in 1932. Donald Jnr died in boyhood. Hugh married Emma Keeley and they had a family of six.
Donald Snr was given an acre of land in Cambridge West ( Leamington ) and 50 acres in the Cambridge survey. He and Catherine lived out their lives on the Shakespeare Street property. Donald enjoyed a tipple and came up before the court periodically. He farmed his property and was a contractor. He was also on the first Leamington School committee - his father having been a schoolmaster may have been an influence.
Donald Snr died 25 August 1894 aged 74. The Waikato Times newspaper states, "We learn that an old Cambridge West identity passed over to the great majority on Saturday last viz: Mr Donald McKinnon who was one of the oldest settlers in the district."
Catherine always had a helping hand for those in need. The book 'First Families' by Ruth Wilkinson states that, "Mrs McKinnon's oven was always in use, mainly cooking scones, which were freely given with home butter and raspberry jam."
McKINNON Hugh Alexander
Hugh was born in Tasmania, 30 January 1863, the son of Donald and Catherine nee McGillivray. He arrived in Cambridge 29 December 1864 with his two brothers and mother to join his father who was with the 3rd Waikato Militia. On leaving school Hugh was a keen athlete and apprentised to Mr Cox who had a boot making business in Duke Street.
Hugh joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 3 July 1894 when he was aged 31 years. He married Emma, daughter of James and Ann Keeley, 11 August 1902. They had six children and took up farming and contract work. In later years Hugh milked a small herd of cows and untook boot repairs. Emma died 21 July 1923 and Hugh 1 September 1937.
MacKINTOSH, Charles Dane
Charles was the first band master of the Cambridge and Waikato Reed Band when it was formed 16 May 1877.
He enrolled with the Cambridge Cavalry Volunteers as a trooper in November 1878 and the next year he was promoted to Sergeant. He stayed with the Volunteers until it disbanded in October 1882.
In the 1880s electoral roll he is listed as a Music Teacher.
John was born 9 January 1861 and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 22 September 1896 aged 34 years his occupation a wool sorter. He was married but his wife was not registered.
Bill was born 26 October 1879 and a traveller when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge, 10 September 1907. He and his wife Annie lived in the old Duke of Cambridge Hotel and ran the place as a boarding house. In April it had nearly burnt down.
Then in April 1908 it did burn down and from June to September William advertised running the Island Fruit Store and Refreshment Rooms. On 15 October he received a letter from the Cambridge Borough Council with a list of improvements he had to make to comply with the Health Inspector's report. A few days later the local paper reports that the local fruit seller had 'skipped' with his wife and family to a Southern port.
McLENAN, (McLENNON) John
John was born in Dingwall Rothshire about 1837 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 30 November 1863 in Dunedin. His Regiment Number was 1006 and occupation a miner.
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 he paid 2 pence an acre on 51 acres - totalling eight shillings and sixpence. In an 1872 edition of the Waikato Times John's rates were due - 50 acres 12/6d.
James joined the Alpha Waikato Lodge No 449 I.C. in 1866, was a farmer and died 1868.
Donald was born on 26 May 1863 in Slete, Isle of Skye, Scotland and arrived in New Zealand 1873. He was a farm labourer and married Rosina Took in Cambridge on 13 November 1879. They raised ten children. Donald joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 1 April 1902.
McLEOD, Henry George
Harry was the second son of Donald and Rosina born 10 October 1883. He was a labourer when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 14 April 1903 and took advantage of his sickness fund in 1904 when he got pneumonia. He married Alexandra Elizabeth Agnes McGillivray on 6 October 1906 at the Presbyterian Church.
Rod was born 12 July 1877 and when he joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 21 April 1896, his occupation was a labourer.
McLEOD, William John
William was the first son of Donald and Rosina, born in Cambridge 22 April 1881. He worked as a farm manager for James Taylor and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 3 March 1903.
William married Ellen Therese McCarthy, who had come from Australia, 10 October 1906 and they had five children.
Ellen died 1943, William died 1965 and they are buried at the Cambridge Cemetery at Hautapu.
Charles was born 8 June 1883, the son of William and Margaret, and joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 3 September 1901.
Billie was born 6 November 1860 in Ireland, the son of William and Margaret. Billie worked as groom in Hamilton before joining his father on their farm at Kauroa near Raglan. He became part of the Raglan Cavalry Volunteers and served in the South African War - Private 2386 with the 5th Contingent - 1900. He also enlisted World War One with the Main Body 1915 but suffered from rheumatism and returned to New Zealand in 1916.
Billie married in 1885 to Emilia Johnstone and this ended in divorce. He took on roading contracts around the Waikato and came to Cambridge about 1898. He joined the Duke of Cambridge Lodge 20 August 1901.
In March 1909 he married Alice Roberts - a widow with 2 children. She died in 1935. William married for a third time to Catherine McNaughton in 1931 and they had two children.
William died 14 November 1938 aged 78 years. Catherine died 28 October 1961.
James McNeish was single, aged 21 and a billiard marker when he enrolled in the Duke of Cambridge Lodge on 22 March 1877. James was a noted athlete and won the first athletic cup presented in Cambridge on Easter Monday 1877.
He and Jane Castell were married in Cambridge in July 1878 and went on to have 10 children. They lived in Duke Street. One son (James Alfred) fought in the South Africa War and two sons George and James, died in World War One.
James snr was also an enthusiastic member of the Cambridge Dramatic Society and the children followed suit.
James kept a Billiard Saloon in Cambridge and as his mother was Maori, he was bi-lingual and acted as interpreter in the local court.
James died in 1908 and Jane 1944 and they are both buried at the Cambridge Cemetery Hautapu.
Robert was born in Sprinkkell, Antrim about 1831 and enlisted in the 3rd Waikato Militia 29 September 1863. His Regiment Number was Private 214 and occupation a farmer. He was promoted to Corporal 1 May 1864.
On 19 October 1865 he married Margaret Read and their children included Robert, James, Margaret, Theresa, William, Augustine, Rose, Sarah, Elizabeth and Philip. (W R McVeagh sponsored a family memory in Ruth Wilkinson's book 'First Families of Cambridge' saying, "In 1867, a big Maori pa was at Maungakawa. One day a Maori woman came down the hill and into the McVeagh home, where she stole the baby Robert Jnr. She was well on her way back to the pa before the distracted father caught up with her. 'I like him', was her simple explanation."
W R McVeagh also says that Robert and Mary lived on their granted land at the foot of Maungakawa, then moved into town and opened a store on their acre of land in Chapel (Anzac) Street. Robert ran the punt across the Waikato River before a bridge was built and later Margaret was a dressmaker.
On the Cambridge rates assessment list for 1869-70 Robert paid 2 pence an acre on 60 acres - totalling ten shillings